Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Oceania may be under the NCL umbrella but you would never know it booking and onboard.They keep it distinct.  It is unlike an NCL cruise. Their clientele would drop it if the quality went down. The problem would be if NCL goes bankrupt. Whatever cruise folks book on whatever cruise line all should purchase third party insurance. 

My connection to NCL was the financial connection, not any onboard similarity .

mac_tlc

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Here's a thought.  

Take a cruise, go to the OV for dinner and experience it for yourself.  Inform an officer on the ship your thoughts on how it was. Send emails to Celebrity's upper management. Put your comments on the feedback card.  

These will go a lot farther in getting the attention of someone who can impact change than making comments here based on the observations of other.  

That is my plan when we are on Beyond later this month. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ocdublin said:

Well I reached out by email and here is what I received.

Please be advised that the Oceanview Café will not be closed for dinner. The operating hours for dinner will remain the same, approximately, 6:00 – 9:30 pm. However, we will now have limited offerings. We will have one food station, which will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu, a limited salad station, and pizza station. I am including a sample menu below with our Italian Theme Menu as an example. This menu is just a sample and subject to change.

•    Small Salad Station:
White Bean Salad
Tuscan Panzanella with tomatoes and spicy focaccia croutons
Chicken and pasta salad
•    Mains:
Pollo alla Cacciatore
Beef lasagna
Eggplant Parmigiano
Mix vegetable medley
•    Pizza Station:
Pomodoro
Pepperoni
Mushroom and vegetable

I hope this information is of assistance to you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next sailing!

Hmmm...  They might as well do away with the buffet.

Nothing on there sounds appealing to me.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this. I struggle to see how shutting down most of the buffet improves things for guests, but I have faith the folks at the top will figure it out in short order.

Just a thought, but if the ships are short-staffed, maybe shutting down the buffet gives the opportunity to transfer buffet staff to other dining venues in order to reduce passenger complaints about slow kitchen, wait service, and bar service. There may be a cohort of passengers who become upset with this very reduced dinner buffet, but the majority of passengers eating in the formal dining venues would theoretically have a better experience. 

Edited by kathynorth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Just a thought, but if the ships are short-staffed, maybe shutting down the buffet gives the opportunity to transfer buffet staff to other dining venues in order to reduce passenger complaints about slow kitchen, wait service, and bar service. There may be a cohort of passengers who become upset with this very reduced dinner buffet, but the majority of passengers eating in the formal dining venues would theoretically have a better experience. 

Got it. So if Celebrity is short staffed they should still sell as much capacity as they can and simply cut down on amenities with no announcement. 

This doesn't make me want to put down a deposit for a Med cruise...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davekathy said:

Jennifer Morales
Senior Director of Celebrity Engagement
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132

jennifermorales@celebrity.com 

Chief Executive
Lisa Lutoff-Perlo
President and Chief Executive Officer
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com 

Associate Vice President of Loyalty Marketing

andrea-shey@celebritycruises.com

Andrea's email address as listed here came back as undeliverable...

• Thanks 2

On 1/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, LMaxwell said:

That's too bad. It's a full restaurant with beverage service and made to order food. 

How does Celebrity plan to accommodate me and my casual style, low carb, multiple high protein dinner?

Just make your dietary requirements be known to the Maitre 'd they will usually sit down with you and plan meals for the next night, just like any other dietary requirements.

I've never known anyone regardless of dietary needs go hungry.   The difference may just be where you are served.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Just make your dietary requirements be known to the Maitre 'd they will usually sit down with you and plan meals for the next night, just like any other dietary requirements.

You make a good and valid point; the MD's do want to accommodate dietary considerations. 

Just now, LMaxwell said:

You make a good and valid point; the MD's do want to accommodate dietary considerations. 

Except it's not about dietary considerations for me.

I like the buffet for simplicity.

No fuss

No lines waiting to be seated.

It takes less time for a meal.

You can see what you put on your plate (no guessing).

You can more easily social distance.

No long pants required for men.

For me, the grilling station was the only way to get FRESH protein (not sitting under heat lamp).

I'm very disappointed.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Ocdublin said:

Well I reached out by email and here is what I received.

Please be advised that the Oceanview Café will not be closed for dinner. The operating hours for dinner will remain the same, approximately, 6:00 – 9:30 pm. However, we will now have limited offerings. We will have one food station, which will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu, a limited salad station, and pizza station. I am including a sample menu below with our Italian Theme Menu as an example. This menu is just a sample and subject to change.

•    Small Salad Station:
White Bean Salad
Tuscan Panzanella with tomatoes and spicy focaccia croutons
Chicken and pasta salad
•    Mains:
Pollo alla Cacciatore
Beef lasagna
Eggplant Parmigiano
Mix vegetable medley
•    Pizza Station:
Pomodoro
Pepperoni
Mushroom and vegetable

I hope this information is of assistance to you.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next sailing!

That is BS. What an absurdly small choice of items. I plan to write and email and say as much. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Except it's not about dietary considerations for me.

I like the buffet for simplicity.

No fuss

No lines waiting to be seated.

It takes less time for a meal.

You can see what you put on your plate (no guessing).

You can more easily social distance.

No long pants required for men.

For me, the grilling station was the only way to get FRESH protein (not sitting under heat lamp).

I'm very disappointed.

The grilled meat was usually a tough cut of meat. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

This doesn't make me want to put down a deposit for a Med cruise...

Well, look on the bright side. If you go to the Med you can eat dinner ashore and get your international cheeses, cured meats and Greek salads....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chamima said:

We sailed in French Polynesia (and other places like small Caribbean Islands) on those ships with Princess after they bought them.

Definitely our favorite ships and cruises!!!!

Us as well.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Rob from Peter to give to Paul.  Now why was I taught that was a bad thing growing up? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kathynorth said:

I'm not sure I completely buy this, but it is something to consider. Thank you.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I strongly encourage those that object to this reduction in offerings in the OVC during dinner hours start writing Lisa Lutoff- Perlo right now to try and show that guest are displeased. 

I also encourage those of you that are in agreement with this change to also write and show your support. 

How do you write to her? I'm on the next sailing of the Reflection. Probably can't change my sailing but we have 2 more cruises coming up on the Apex

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Over the years I noticed they often claimed cutbacks were an improvement for guests. 

Yes of course , that's because Celebrity is being kind,..they want to make sure you don't put on too much weight...LOL !!

• Haha 2