Hotel in Vancouver Canada

omapa

Will be going to Alaska with Princess in May 2023. We would like to spend a couple of day in Vancouver and would like to get some recommendations from other Passengers who been there. I looked online and it seems like the prices are very high.

I'm open to any suggestions.

I am also sailing to Alaska in May 2023 on a cruisetour. I made my hotel reservation at the Pan Pacific. The hotel is at the pier and makes for an easy stress free morning to get to the ship in a few steps. The prices are high but keep in mind when you do the conversion from Canadian to US dollars it's in your favor. 

• Like 1

I stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver for 2 nights.  It was wonderful.  Walking/Transportation all nearby.  

Taxi is one rate from Airport to Vancouver City region.

Check out the rates.  I was able to get a phenomenal rate once I joined their loyalty program.  

Best check out with delivery of luggage to ship (for a small fee).  Luggage in the cabin by 1 PM.

• Like 1

Recommend the Marriot in the center of town.  Wonderful service and city tour options.  Most of all, it is near a Tim Hortans which serves the best coffee I have ever had and delicious muffins and donuts.  It can make a great breakfast or lunch.  Enjoy Vancouver.  It is a lovely city with friendly folks.

I stayed at Sandmans which is downtown next to the Vancouver Place stadium.  Lots of decent restaurants in the neighborhood.  If you like raw oysters, check out the Fanny Bay Oyster Bar.  Some of the best oysters I've ever had.  

Another Pan Pacific, here.  Great location (the hotel will take your luggage directly from your room to the cruise terminal downstairs and give the luggage to the porters).  Lovely rooms.  Breakfast buffet is lovely overlooking the harbour.  Yes, it’s pricey. 

• Like 1

The PanPacific is an excellent choice, and very well located.  Couldn't recommend more.  As for pricing, unless the web site you are looking at is already converting the price from CA$ to US$, the exchange rate is very much in our favor right now.  Current exchange rate right now is 1 US$ to 1.34 CA$  That is spot market, so in actual exchange, it may be less due to bank fees to conduct the exchange.  Plus the overall exchange rate might be different in May.  For a long time now, if you see something quoted in CA$, you can reduce that price by 25% if paying with US$ and you'll have a good ballpark actual price.

• Like 1

Depends what you are looking for. If you want "low cost" you won't find it in the Downtown/close to port area. You would need something that is either airport area or East of Downtown.

If you want close to port - Pan pacific, Fairmont Waterfront and Fairmont Pacific Rim are literally right there and amazing hotels.

If you want a little less expensive than port hotels, look at Blue Horizon, Coast Coal Harbour, Marriott Pinnacle, Marriott Waterfront, Loden, Westin Bayshore. All great hotels, great location.

St Regis, Sandman, and Marriott that have been mentioned previously are all a little lower in price and in decent areas of the city. I've never stayed at St Regis but frequent the bar for happy hour regularly. I wouldn't go any further afield than Sandman Suites on Georgia as then you are getting outside of the Downtown area and into the "less desirable" neighbourhoods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vancouver is a major city and hotel rates downtown reflect that, but as others have said Americans are getting a deal with the exchange rate right now. Imagine being a Canadian (me, lol) heading to San Francisco and having to add 35% exchange PLUS destination fee to most better hotels. That hurts!

Obviously the big 3 (Fairmont waterfront, Pacific Rim, or Pan Pacific) are the best locations for cruisers. All of these hotels will give a better rate to loyalty program members, so join their programs if you haven’t already. Some also have AAA or AARP rates.

For less money going a 10 minute walk from the port may get you better rates. The Fairmont Vancouver Hotel and the Hyatt Regency can sometimes be quite a bit less.

For more value, there is a Residence Inn (Marriott), and a Hampton Inn which are fine and will get you included breakfast.

If you are willing to take transit, try the Metrotown area. It is 15 minutes on the skytrain from the port and has a Hilton, Element, and I think a Holiday Inn.

good Luck!

We love in Washington and drove to Vancouver this past September (and home). I will tell you that this is a very expensive city!!!

At least you will not have the challenge of finding parking- you are from Illinois, correct?

We stayed at the Blue Horizon this past July and were very happy with the room rate and the location.  Lots of good restaurants nearby, including a great bakery around the corner for morning coffee and breakfast.  Plus, the Hop On, Hop Off bus stops right in front.

I always recommend the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront, however, they can be quite costly. If you want a less expensive alternative, there are some hotels a few blocks back that work and are still 4 stars. One trick is to stay at a hotel along the sky train route close to the airport and just take the sky train back and forth to explore Vancouver. We did that one time for a one night stay that was a long layover, and it worked well. 

• Like 1

Adding my two cents, we always stay at Le Soleil which is a 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal.or Skytrain station.  Bit of a boutique hotel but comfortable and willing to upgrade if space available.  We were upgraded to a spectaculat penthouse suite a few years ago and had a roof top terrace with view all over Vancouver.

If your departure is on a Sunday you will find few places for a reasonably priced pre cruise breakfast but a very short walk from the hotel is a place called Joyeaux Cafe (http://www.joyeaux-cafe-restaurant.com/) and they serve a reasonably priced western breakfast plus a full Vietnamese menu.

Had Bahn Mi with grilled pork for breakfast with loads of fresh fruit and excellent coffee.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:34 AM, pklein9747 said:

We stayed at the Blue Horizon this past July and were very happy with the room rate and the location.  Lots of good restaurants nearby, including a great bakery around the corner for morning coffee and breakfast.  Plus, the Hop On, Hop Off bus stops right in front.

Another vote for Blue Horizon. Easy walk to most places. 

Also recommend Earl's Kitchen and Bar which was within a minute's walk.

Fairmont Pacific Rim was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at.

I have stayed at Pan Pacific (closest to pier) and will probably stay there again this year. Fairmont Waterfront is probably the 2nd best location.

Have also stayed at Hyatt downtown.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We stayed in the Pan Pacific at the end of September.  Beautiful location, pricey but worth it.  There is a little tunnel that goes under the street between the PP and the Fairmont.  Once thru you are in a little food court, which has several vendors and a pharmacy.

K2

The first time we stayed in Vancouver we stayed at the Pan Pacific and it was nice, and very convenient.  It was also very expensive.  

Our second time, this past September, we stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel and loved it.  It was fully half the cost of the Pan Pacific.  We had a corner room which gave us a view to the waterfront.  It was a 5 minute walk to the waterfront, and maybe a 10 minute drive to the port. We are booked to stay there again before our next cruise.  I would recommend it. 

• Like 1