Does Royal take Pinnacles for granted?

Karter

Here is the situation.

Three guarantee balcony cabins were booked at the same time as a group on Odyssey of the Seas.

Couple 1 Second cruse ever with Royal Caribbean

Couple 2 Platinum books a cruise every 3 to 4 years

Couple 3 Pinnacle books 15 to 20 cruises a year - currently has 18 cruises booked.

When the cabins were assigned couples 1 and 2 were assigned balconies on deck 11 near the center of the ship couple 3 the Pinnacle couple was assigned a 50% obstructed view cabin on deck 6.

Yes I know you are gambling when you book a guarantee and be willing to take whatever you get this is more about did Royal assume the the Pinnacle couple will always book with them and give them a lower end cabin.

Is it purely luck of the draw or does Royal have some kind of algorithm to give better cabins to new/infrequent cruisers to encourage them to book again.

BTW I think Royal treats Pinnacles extremely well with their loyalty program so this is not a complaint about the loyalty program it is about how cabins are assigned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Here are just a couple of things that immediately come to mind as to what when into the assignment algorithm:

1. "They're Barnacle* Status in C&A, so they have enough experience to know better:  if you want a good room, book and pay for it.
  2. The entertainment schedule is light that cruise on Odyssey.  Give the worst room to the Barnacle Status people, because they'll probably put on a good show at Guest Services that will entertain all those nearby as they flash their pins and give a run down of how long they've sailed and how they built RCI with all their business, demanding the better room.
  3.  Or simply the algorithm is blind to guest status.

*to-MAY-to/to-MAH-to......Pinnacle/Barnacle

This is commentary in general and in no way intended or aimed at you personally

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 2
  • Haha 19

Makes total sense to me.

If Royal looks after and impresses the (relative) newbies, they might come back. And they’ll probably spend more on board.

No need to impress the Pinnacles. Royal knows they’ll come back. And they’ll probably spend less on board.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Here are just a couple of things that immediately come to mind as to what when into the assignment algorithm:

1. "They're Barnacle* Status in C&A, so they have enough experience to know better:  if you want a good room, book and pay for it.
  2. The entertainment schedule is light that cruise on Odyssey.  Give the worst room to the Barnacle Status people, because they'll probably put on a good show at Guest Services that will entertain all those nearby as they flash their pins and give a run down of how long they've sailed and how they built RCI with all their business, demanding the better room.
  3.  Or simply the algorithm is blind to guest status.

*to-MAY-to/to-MAH-to......Pinnacle/Barnacle

This is commentary in general and in no way intended or aimed at you personally

I go with number 2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I believe it is merely an indication that C&A status is not a consideration when cabins are assigned. 

Strange though, you would think it would be. When I worked for the airlines it was the top tier FF who we upgraded first in an overbooking situation in main cabin. 

I guess it shows its an automated system with no manual input

Edited by sgmn

56 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Makes total sense to me.

If Royal looks after and impresses the (relative) newbies, they might come back. And they’ll probably spend more on board.

No need to impress the Pinnacles. Royal knows they’ll come back. And they’ll probably spend less on board.

Exactly !

11 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

No, I do not think they intentionally do. 

I think you believe in the tooth fairy too I assume. Only a Loyal to Royalist would answer that question like that.

20 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

My guess is no. But I also guess that what they don't have is an algorithm to consider loyalty status when assigning gty cabins.

I have often wondered about this since we always bid the minimum on royal up upgrades, and have won six so far since becoming pins. None were accepted before that.

45 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I have often wondered about this since we always bid the minimum on royal up upgrades, and have won six so far since becoming pins. None were accepted before that.

I have had multiple bids accepted (bidding about $5 anove the minimum) when I was emerald.   More about supply and last minute cancels.

3 hours ago, Karter said:

Here is the situation.

Three guarantee balcony cabins were booked at the same time as a group on Odyssey of the Seas.

Couple 1 Second cruse ever with Royal Caribbean

Couple 2 Platinum books a cruise every 3 to 4 years

Couple 3 Pinnacle books 15 to 20 cruises a year - currently has 18 cruises booked.

When the cabins were assigned couples 1 and 2 were assigned balconies on deck 11 near the center of the ship couple 3 the Pinnacle couple was assigned a 50% obstructed view cabin on deck 6.

Yes I know you are gambling when you book a guarantee and be willing to take whatever you get this is more about did Royal assume the the Pinnacle couple will always book with them and give them a lower end cabin.

Is it purely luck of the draw or does Royal have some kind of algorithm to give better cabins to new/infrequent cruisers to encourage them to book again.

BTW I think Royal treats Pinnacles extremely well with their loyalty program so this is not a complaint about the loyalty program it is about how cabins are assigned.

4. Pinnacle had a bigger discount and paid less and maybe lower in the list when assigning. 

I am not pinn but got a terrible assignment.. I think they dont care, its make hay while the sun shines. Not taking for granted, it's by how much people paid when they assigned perhaps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Exactly !

I think you believe in the tooth fairy too I assume. Only a Loyal to Royalist would answer that question like that.

You are way off base here, as you usually are. I am not "only a loyal to royalist," and if you pay attention to my comments you will know that to be true. 

You however are "Mr. the sky is falling all the time," and should learn how to recognize that not everyone has an all or nothing view, as you seem to.

I responded that I do not think they are taking Pinnacles for granted. What part of that is loyalist? Also how does this equate to fantasy, or as you call it "believing in the tooth fairy?" If it was loyalist, don't you think I would have agreed and stated why I think I am being taken for granted, and whine about everything I get or don't get? 

@Ocean Boy  Is that sufficiently dramatic?  🤣

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I have had multiple bids accepted (bidding about $5 anove the minimum) when I was emerald.   More about supply and last minute cancels.

I'm clearly not living right.  Out of six cruises, on which several I have bid medium or strong, I have won zero.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm clearly not living right.  Out of six cruises, on which several I have bid medium or strong, I have won zero.

On our September cruise we put in a minimum bid for a balcony from an inside.  It was accepted a day or two before sailing.  We received several invitations to events on the ship in someone else's names, the couple who cancelled last minute.  And enjoyed their welcoming cookies and water bottles.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

On our September cruise we put in a minimum bid for a balcony from an inside.  It was accepted a day or two before sailing.  We received several invitations to events on the ship in someone else's names, the couple who cancelled last minute.  And enjoyed their welcoming cookies and water bottles.

Nice score!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You are wearing the wrong colored glasses, You need a pair like John has.