The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday January 19th, 2023

rafinmd

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday. Great collection of days today. I purchased the can opener recommended by someone here on the Daily and it works great, no more ragged edges on the cans. We mostly buy canned tomatoes and beans. Thank you to whoever recommended that can opener!

We were in Kusadasi in 2001 on the Rotterdam. I’ll have to check if I posted pictures before. We really enjoyed our tour of Ephesus.  The more recent photos posted have some sites that weren’t open when we were there. 

I spent a lot of time yesterday getting excursions and specialty dining scheduled yesterday for my PC cruise. I had added the HIA package so have $300 in excursions and 3 specialty dinners. I’m so happy that there are so many sea days, practically every other day is a sea day. I still have some excursion credit so I’ll work on that soon. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Crazy autocorrect
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

I looked back through my pictures of Ephesus and found a few that appear to be different or slightly different from those that have been posted.  Several were taken near the upper entrance.

Between our first visit in 2008 on Prinsendam and our second visit in 2019 on Veendam, a board walk was added over some of the rough ground.  That made walking much easier.

These were taken near the upper entrance, and show the small amphitheater.

DSC06206.thumb.JPG.6b0c8d63b5b90538bc9998127fa61278.JPG

IMG_4654.thumb.JPG.f5fa39136ad9fb5dca842c6352fb4120.JPG

DSC06210.thumb.JPG.99085f95c22d365580de0e817e0c4d2e.JPG

I'm not sure what these were for or exactly where they are in Ephesus.

DSC06241.thumb.JPG.972e205a884537f63b6b91cb97c302c3.JPG

Walking down the slope toward the Library, and you can see the countryside in the background of two of the pictures.

IMG_4669.thumb.JPG.f40f3a392df92e7a5e6114a72bc50961.JPG

IMG_4671.thumb.JPG.f20488bd3375eb6e206ad7350254ce29.JPG

DSC06231.thumb.JPG.0b0926c636d86d67d72c348454a16fb0.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We were in Kusadasi in 2001 on the Rotterdam. I’ll have to check if I posted pictures before. We really enjoyed our tour of Ephesus.  The more recent photos posted have some sites that weren’t open when we were there. 

I just checked the link that Sandi @StLouisCruisers shared and I didn’t post pictures that day. They are on our old hard drive so I won’t bother, anyway the ones already posted are better. 

Debbie @dfish, thank you for the recipes today. All of them look good. 

• Like 21

Good afternoon! 

@Mr. Boston Congratulations on the impending retirement.  It has been great for me!

@cruising sister Welcome to the Daily!  We hope you'll join us often.

@kazu The cast may be a pain, but you sure look pretty in pink.

I am so happy!   I got the garage door to work.  I have no idea what I did to fix it, but it works, so I am just going to take the win and be happy!   

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

Our family loves popcorn, and we have lots of new friends here on the daily!  Sharon @Sharon in AZit may have been me who recommended that can opener.  My Dad recommended it to me -- at first I was skeptical but once I got one I love it.  No sharp edges, and it pretty much takes only one hand! 

The drink, wine and meal all sound good to me.  We've been to Kusadasi twice.  Once with a tour and once we DIY with local transportation and walking.  I love Turkey.  My carpet looks similar to Lenda's @Quartzsite Cruiser and I still love it now after 16 years.

I was up a lot of the night tracking DD's flights.  It took 13.5 hours from Seattle to Seoul -- longer than expected -- so they missed their flight from Seoul to Bangkok.  They were rerouted on a later flight to Bangkok (another 6 hours) where they had a hotel by the airport.  After a "nap" at the hotel  they will fly to Phuket, where they will be for the next 12 days.  Whew!  To be young -- I'm exhausted just thinking about it and with 2 small boys in tow.  She did say they were doing great, that's good!

Jacqui @kazuI feel for you with that cast!  So glad though that you have great doctors looking after you now, and that's wonderful about the nurse who worked with your DH.  When I broke my little pinkie they put me in a cast up my arm over my elbow for 6 weeks, so I know how you feel.

@Mr. BostonCongratulations on your upcoming retirement and cruise!

My photos of Kusadasi and Ephesus are all similar to the great photos already posted, but here's a photo showing Ephesus before they started excavating and now -- still not completely excavated.  Also a photo of my carpet.

1220251368_Ephesusbeforeandafterexcavation.jpg.8b59fc8f4ae8eec34552da1d16a5c73e.jpg

carpet.thumb.jpg.03a0440e35fa517a37609519391f3f52.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's 58F and cloudy with some showers expected this morning, and hopefully a sunny afternoon with a temp of 68.  A salute to popcorn, tin cans and making new friends.  I would like the menu suggestion.  No thanks to the drink and chardonnay.  Much appreciation to Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor giving us the Daily and Fleet Report.  The port of Kusadasi, Turkey is a great one, and most of us went to see Ephesus so there should be lots of photos.  In fact, the first time we had Kusadasi was Jan. 13, 2022 and I had a busy morning away from home that day.  Therefore I posted only a few photos of the actual town of Kusadasi since there were was an abundance of Ephesus photos that day.  Even so, I'll look for a few photos of Ephesus to share.

Prayers for all on the Care list, and lets hope we get some good news about Kathi @Scrapnanasoon.  Good wishes for Jacqui, Tana, and Sarah today.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list!  

Here's the link to Rich's post from Jan. 13, 2022:

I loved our visit to Ephesus in Kusadasi, Turkey in November 2012 on Crown Princess.  We had a Cruise Critic roll call tour with a few of our fellow passengers.  But first our tour stopped at the final resting place of the Virgin Mary, located in the Solmissus Mountains.  

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnqi2gtaM2VnnFMG0Zhvmr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365864

"Pilgrims" leave their prayers on the wall outside her reconstructed home.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxitOOhBI86TRt4E3OrBvj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365889

I think he's got it covered here - draw closer to God, be a CEO of a company, marry a fair maiden and good health for his family.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsQOZ5JzFliqPsU36AcUGQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365912

On to Ephesus.  Our guide Filiz Capraz00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHx0beaGJGyBCii9fQCsOU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368015

Bits and pieces of stone found at the site00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImWY50d1ZO6PUp8bpiguYi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368064

Very cool00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdeGAZs6IsyfpAMC7746Or?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368077

Each column was different00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAaqhP3xgHb0skXwiLWCma?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368096

Wow!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKejwBdq6qFD-tsJo-zHQF9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368179

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLArmszYKZ-bz-EVRu1SPjq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366517

The Celsus Library00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAbNLtGUInE3dxLfu-Xvos?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366892

We went in to view the Terrace Houses which are covered to preserve them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_EuX-2ANY5UIWG--1QO2Y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366641

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJv_bXdhHS_nvIKEAEH6tFZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368496

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJC0K71rcYG8ph_TKpimcHM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366796

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPrgdJiMQx3cOZO1_6ilKv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366885

The Great Theater00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ28tDsz4Ih62vE3IauO1bw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368775

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKgSa5XkA5xwnPbpeTzZON3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368741

Amazing photos of Ephesus Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Sharon in AZand @Cruising-along, can one of you tell me what the name and manufacturer of the can opener is?  I should look that up in case our manual one starts giving us problems.  It's fine right now but if one of us had an accident and became one-handed for a while, or arthritis in hands became a problem, we could use something like you mentioned.  Thanks!

Also I wanted to mention itsy-bitsy spiders can cause smoke detectors to go off, so cleaning them with the brush attachment on vacuum cleaners is an excellent way to get rid of them or their webs as was mentioned before.🕸️🕷️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning, I am a long time lurking and a fan of @Scrapnana cruise blogs. I had a friend and coworker who had a stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma 5 years ago and she is going strong today. It is very rough treatment but she is healthy enough to be Dean of a medical school. 

Thanks for letting me post and prayers for Kathi.

Welcome and thank you for posting.

Graham.

• Like 7

Just a quick note here to say that all is going well on a lazy sea day. It is nice to see others cruising, and what is going on across our group. I hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'll definitely salute new friends, especially from the Daily, will have some popcorn tonight and use frozen food more than canned.  I love the Hill quote but have not been to Kusadasi,  The meal sounds nice, although it wouldn't be from a slow cooker.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel, Pene Primavera, and Mango-Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 19, 2019:

dishes19.jpg

It will be a very hectic day with scout activities both afternoon and evening.

Today’s care list:

Kazu in cast until about 2/8
Grahaam’s Sarah waiting on needed injection
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Heavenly Birthday to Edgar Allen Poe
3 days for Heartgrove (Carnival Legend 1/22 to 1/29)
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Welcome back AncientWanderer
5 days to last treatment for Cruising-Along DH
Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), DeeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for posting today's lists Roy and Sarah's mention.

We were with Sarah for several hours today and Pauline thoroughly cleaned her apartment and we brought a trunk full of food for her and picked up more pain killing medication for her.

She was comfortable today and her injections are scheduled for next week.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

22 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Sharon in AZand @Cruising-along, can one of you tell me what the name and manufacturer of the can opener is?  I should look that up in case our manual one starts giving us problems.  It's fine right now but if one of us had an accident and became one-handed for a while, or arthritis in hands became a problem, we could use something like you mentioned.  Thanks!

Sandi this is the one I have.  https://smile.amazon.com/Kitchen-Mama-Automatic-Electric-Opener/dp/B087NLNP7T/ref=sr_1_5?crid=NZW8UDWH2505&keywords=kitchen%2Bmama%2Bcan%2Bopener&qid=1674158789&sprefix=Kitchen%2BMama%2B%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-5&th=1

There may be other brands that work the same way, I don't know.  I'm very happy with it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Also I wanted to mention itsy-bitsy spiders can cause smoke detectors to go off, so cleaning them with the brush attachment on vacuum cleaners is an excellent way to get rid of them or their webs as was mentioned before.🕸️🕷️

Sandi, this is the one I purchased thanks to Carolyn. 
F407E784-4E5E-4AEE-B4EF-69F8E4507D92.thumb.jpeg.943779332c7ad69a2d5d0acf52c5ff9b.jpeg

I have severe arthritis in my hands and can use this. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks for the recommendation I am having hand surgery in February so I ordered one today. 

• Like 16

Prayers please...I just learned that our 2nd cousin in Savannah on DH's side is in the ICU.  This is the same relative who has been waiting for a kidney (Roy @rafinmdI think of her as a "niece" not a cousin, sorry for the confusion).  She's only in her early 40's. 

She has a multitude of problems, most caused by her Lupus.  She was having a long-awaited knee surgery yesterday and arrested during the surgery.  She hasn't woken up and they say she has brain damage. 😞  So much for that family to bear, and she has 2 young daughters at home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 21

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sandi, this is the one I purchased thanks to Carolyn. 
F407E784-4E5E-4AEE-B4EF-69F8E4507D92.thumb.jpeg.943779332c7ad69a2d5d0acf52c5ff9b.jpeg

I have severe arthritis in my hands and can use this. 

Sharon do you have to turn the knob?  The one I have is just push a button and it does everything, battery operated...I was having trouble with turning can opener knobs and my arthritis isn't as bad as yours. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Prayers please...I just learned that our 2nd cousin in Savannah on DH's side is in the ICU.  This is the same relative who has been waiting for a kidney (Roy @rafinmdI think of her as a "niece" not a cousin, sorry for the confusion).  She's only in her early 40's. 

She has a multitude of problems, most caused by her Lupus.  She was having a long-awaited knee surgery yesterday and arrested during the surgery.  She hasn't woken up and they say she has brain damage. 😞  So much for that family to bear, and she has 2 young daughters at home.

Oh no.  That is so sad.  Prayers coming your way.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sharon do you have to turn the knob?  The one I have is just push a button and it does everything, battery operated...I was having trouble with turning can opener knobs and my arthritis isn't as bad as yours. 

Yes I have to turn the knob. Gosh, I should have bought yours!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Carolyn, so sorry to hear this news. Lupus can cause terrible health issues. And then to have this arrest during surgery is just tragic. Prayers for her and the whole family.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I have this one and it works really well for me.

Susan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think that the last time I cooked a turkey breast was New Year's Day in 2018. It had been intended for

Thanksgiving, but I broke my arm that week. Although I was home in time, I realized that I couldn't lift a pan with the roast in it.

I was pleased by the tofu and bok choy stir-fry last night. I have enough left of both to make it again, and the bok choy needs to be used, but I think I will make something else. I cooked the last few stalks of asparagus, from earlier in the week, for lunch.

I was at Kusadasi in May, on the Norwegian Jade, and I think I posted pictures then, but maybe only of the cats. Others that I could post are much like those already posted today. We arranged a private tour in order to include the Terrace Houses within our ship's short time in port (we called at Patmos later the same day), and omitted the house of Mary in order to do so.

274888549_Junkfolder.jpg.b70d4055c46d58a04466bd9aee80ca6f.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Our family loves popcorn, and we have lots of new friends here on the daily!  Sharon @Sharon in AZit may have been me who recommended that can opener.  My Dad recommended it to me -- at first I was skeptical but once I got one I love it.  No sharp edges, and it pretty much takes only one hand! 

The drink, wine and meal all sound good to me.  We've been to Kusadasi twice.  Once with a tour and once we DIY with local transportation and walking.  I love Turkey.  My carpet looks similar to Lenda's @Quartzsite Cruiser and I still love it now after 16 years.

I was up a lot of the night tracking DD's flights.  It took 13.5 hours from Seattle to Seoul -- longer than expected -- so they missed their flight from Seoul to Bangkok.  They were rerouted on a later flight to Bangkok (another 6 hours) where they had a hotel by the airport.  After a "nap" at the hotel  they will fly to Phuket, where they will be for the next 12 days.  Whew!  To be young -- I'm exhausted just thinking about it and with 2 small boys in tow.  She did say they were doing great, that's good!

Jacqui @kazuI feel for you with that cast!  So glad though that you have great doctors looking after you now, and that's wonderful about the nurse who worked with your DH.  When I broke my little pinkie they put me in a cast up my arm over my elbow for 6 weeks, so I know how you feel.

@Mr. BostonCongratulations on your upcoming retirement and cruise!

My photos of Kusadasi and Ephesus are all similar to the great photos already posted, but here's a photo showing Ephesus before they started excavating and now -- still not completely excavated.  Also a photo of my carpet.

1220251368_Ephesusbeforeandafterexcavation.jpg.8b59fc8f4ae8eec34552da1d16a5c73e.jpg

carpet.thumb.jpg.03a0440e35fa517a37609519391f3f52.jpg

I'm glad your family made it safely to Bangkok even if it was a delayed arrival.  Phuket is a lovely resort area, and they should find a lot to entertain the boys.  I like your rug too.  So many of the ones I saw were to "busy" for me.  I like more tailored things.  Love the before and after pictures of Ephesus.

56 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Just a quick note here to say that all is going well on a lazy sea day. It is nice to see others cruising, and what is going on across our group. I hope everyone has a great day.

Rich, glad you are enjoying a lazy sea day, and that all is going well.  I have enjoyed following along on your live from thread.

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Carolyn, how horrible for your "niece" and her family.  Sending positive thoughts for the best possible outcome to a very bad situation.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1