The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday January 19th, 2023

rafinmd

Today is National Popcorn Day, National Tin Can Day, and New Friends Day

It takes half your life before you discover life is a do-it-yourself project. - Napoleon Hill

Meal Suggestion for today - Juicy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
Drink of the Day - Hurricane
Wine of the Day - Stonecroft Chardonnay Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Old Vine 2021
Destination of the Day - Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 16:00 Depart

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii eta 1-20

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 1-21

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 1-20

Oosterdam

Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica

Rotterdam

Fort de France, Martinique 0900 - 1900

Volendam

Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 1-21

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Papeete, Tahiti Island, French Polynesia eta 1-21

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 07:00 - 08:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Singapore eta 2-03

Capture1.JPG.e1734e4e19a959f4a0745b92b6aedb16.JPG

Capture2.JPG.0f76fd56e50d2555e157e2903fff9023.JPG

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good morning Dailyites. Looks like a dark cloud around Martinique and a bit of rain as we are sailing in, but I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful day.

I could have slept on the balcony last night. The sea was peaceful and the weather was perfect.

Goodness St. Maarten was jam packed with ships yesterday. I walked downtown and back and there was a steady stream of walkers to and from. As much as I enjoyed the beautiful beach I was happy to get back to the ship.

I like the days today and the quote. I've made some nice friends on the Daily. Gerry and DH are having a good time with their friends and stop and chat if they have a minute. We are meeting our MDR "neighbors" at Canaletto for dinner. Ceppy, our Canaletto manager told us we could order any food on the special menu. Just give him a few days notice and chef will make if for us. New (to us) 

image.png.d1af2f389b3c2bc3a2c6d57a7dc913ea.png

image.png.7b4300a328b905c452ed77a6a70b5184.png

Prayers going out to all our Daily friends needing an extra hug. Tana, Sarah, Jacqui and has anyone heard from Kathi?

Have a great day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Good morning.

28°F and sunny here.

Thank you Roy for posting today's fleet reports and Daily.

Pauline likes popcorn but I'm not keen.

Tin cans are very important for food longevity.

The daily has created lots of New friends.

Today's food sounds nice.

We have been to today's port several times with Royal Caribbean but everything is on video.

The bazaars are amazing in Kusadasi with great prices and excellent quality products as well as fake goods.

Lots of people also go to the historic Ephesus.

Prayers for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Graham.

• Like 27

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

and has anyone heard from Kathi?

No I haven't and that's very scary.  Myeloma seems like a very difficult cancer to treat without major complications.  I am trying to be optimistic but find it difficult, especially the idea of a stem cell transplant.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-myeloma/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353383

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 17

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Destination of the Day, Ephesus. One of my favorite places. Was there many years ago and have included three photos of my visits.

The first photo is the ancient library. When I was there many years ago and entered the library the librarian came up to me and said, “Mr. RedneckBob, you have a book overdue.” I replied, are you kidding, how many days overdue and what’s the name of the book”. The librarian replied, “It is just under 2000 years overdue and the name of the book is “Rome for Dummies”. 😀

The second photo was the ancient public toilets. There was a sign posted on the wall behind the toilets that said no flushing required and please lower the lid when done.

The third photo was taken at the open air market once you left the ruins. No explanation required.

4BB19648-B36B-4B3A-AAF3-B3BCD4BFECFB.thumb.png.ef0b0c584c3d2a7a1506a939334ed349.pngC546AABA-7D96-402E-856C-BC5525CC059D.thumb.png.efb07d9568f519d3522e8c70e8194b6e.pngC513A602-F7A2-4F02-8C02-80C706DF0981.thumb.jpeg.2ff2115cd5fda6eba1ff9da427df0374.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We've got a freezing rain warning, so we'll be staying in.  It's days like this that we're glad to be retired and don't have to go out.

I enjoy popcorn.  Tin cans are a wonderful thing especially if you have a good can opener.  Lots of New Friends here on the daily, and I appreciate each of you.

The meal sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

I enjoyed our visit to Ephesus on the Eurodam many several years ago, I think I have the same pictures Redneck Bob posted.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

My favorite snack is kettle corn popcorn.

Hurricane cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces light rum
2 ounces dark rum
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce passion fruit puree
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1 teaspoon grenadine
Garnish: orange half-wheel
Garnish: preserved cherry

Steps
Add the light and dark rums, lime and orange juices, passion fruit puree, simple syrup and grenadine into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a large Hurricane glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with an orange half-wheel and a preserved cherry.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 7.06.15 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I like popcorn very much.  With a piece of string, two tin cans become two telephones.  It’s always a good day for new friends.  Today’s quote is especially appropriate as I will give my employer my retirement notice this morning.  The meal and drink sound very tasty.  Will be in today’s port this fall while on our retirement cruise.  Prayers for all on our prayer list especially @Scrapnana, I hope we get an update soon. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 32

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  A winter storm is heading our way. We are expecting mostly rain but a bit north of us will be getting ice and snow.  I’m almost in sync with today’s meal suggestion, I thawing a cooked turkey breast for dinner tonight.  I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes for new ideas.  It’s going to be another “fun filled” day at work so I expect to be busy.  I’ve enjoyed meeting new friends on several cruises on a dam ship and I hope to make new ones in the future.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 24

Thank you Rich & Roy for bringing us today’s Report & Daily! Look at all the new friends it helped us find!

Another lovely start to the day. It is already 58! Just Zumba and Bindi walks for me today. I have an indoor to do list, but if it as nice as yesterday - it will be ignored. @smitty34877 Terry, I hope Tana had another good night. 

Roy thank you for managing to keep up with all of us so well! Ooh, the local deer herd just ran through my back yard. Even two stags were part of the group. I wonder what spooked them. Or perhaps they were out for their morning run. 

8FA513A5-6D2F-4C1A-BE63-88DDE115492F.jpeg.79c3980c81c2df836f001f62ae20547f.jpeg

1562B671-E633-4D41-8B29-C412F4531572.jpeg.225ae762c3c73d15d309cfeca1428064.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Sarah, Tana, Kathi & Jacqui. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Stonecroft Chardonnay Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Old Vine 2021

Very elusive. I found one online distributor in New Zealand, butI can not begin to guess what the shipping costs would be. So @erewhon, we will need you to check this out for us. It sounds special and has some critic and consumer fans. The online distributor’s price - before shipping is $34.83.

Winemakers’ Notes

The Old Vine Chardonnay is not made every year, the grapes are from our oldest Chardonnay vines planted in 1992. The vines are Mendoza clone, with low yields, loose bunches and small berries.

DESCRIPTION

WINE

Colour:Medium gold.

Aromatics: A complex bouquet nectarine and peach, plus toasty oak.

Palate:The wine has rich stone fruit flavours, butterscotch, cashew nut and a long finish.  Only two barrels were made.

TECHNICAL INFO

Region:Gimblett Gravels Wine Growing District®, Hawke’s Bay.
Vineyard:Mere Road.
Variety:Chardonnay.
Harvest:Hand harvested on 12th March 2021.
Vinification:Whole bunch pressed, barrel fermented with 100% malolactic fermentation.
Maturation:Matured in French oak barriques for 10 months (50% new oak).
Bottled:26th January 2022
Analysis:Alc 14% vol.
Closure: BVS.
Cellaring Potential:4-6 years.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days and I’ll happily celebrate New Friends Day.  Unlike @puppycanducruise a can opener does me little good right now with only one arm (no, I don’t have an electric one 😉).

That’s a good and true quote by Hill.  DH and I really enjoyed Ephesus.  We had a fantastic guide and he brought it to life for us.

Oooh - a white wine today 👍 Look forward to hearing about it and hope it’s not too oaky 🤞 

48B79B98-0DA3-401A-8684-EF13A273AE1F.jpeg.e2c3c60812eaa6fb7fd2ead0f9adcf8f.jpeg

The meal sounds good and generally I’m not commenting on them - not because I don’t appreciate the suggestions and @dfish’s great recipes but because right now my cooking is limited to boiled eggs, tuna melts and fake ‘n bake.

Visit to the orthopaedic surgeon only took just over 4 hours - pretty good all things considered.  He wasn’t happy about the delay in my surgery, the splint I was still in, horrified at what the insurance company wanted, a bit concerned about one spot and the delay but impressed with the job the orthopaedic surgeon did in Puerto Vallarta.  Unfortunately the end result was …..

6570D479-FB18-4C7C-9C24-80EFFF13251E.thumb.jpeg.7b22b8879ea860607d27d196e3b9326c.jpeg

yup a cast.  DAM.  I hate them.  3 weeks and I go back - probably once it’s X-Rayed another one will have to go on, I fear.    Jose always said I had tremendous healing power but since nothing has gone right since he died - I fear it is gone -  hope there won’t be another one  but…

Sadly, I have heard nothing from Kathi and am friends with her on FB.  In fact, a mutual friend and I were talking last night hoping the other had heard something.  My prayers are with her. 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, Kathi & those that need them & a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

D539F415-1646-478C-8EE8-98FA7F2CEA7C.thumb.jpeg.ce74572d46714ee92daba7a47ad9cae6.jpeg

Have a good Thursday all!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Good Thursday morning.  We lost another hour of sleep last night so kind of a slow start.    We are heading out in a couple for La Serena.  We are definitely south of the Equator.   The layers are on me already!  A few photos from the Balllestas Islands 2 days ago.    Have a great day!   Nancy 

cropped.JPG

guano  sea lion 11623.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

No I haven't and that's very scary.  Myeloma seems like a very difficult cancer to treat without major complications.  I am trying to be optimistic but find it difficult, especially the idea of a stem cell transplant.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-myeloma/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353383

Roy

I know I was very lucky. Not only was mine in such an early stage that I did not need chemo or radiation, it was a tiny spot on the top of my foot - so easy to remove surgically. I pray that Kathi’s is also an early stage.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I like popcorn very much.  With a piece of string, two tin cans become two telephones.  It’s always a good day for new friends.  Today’s quote is especially appropriate as I will give my employer my retirement notice this morning.  The meal and drink sound very tasty.  Will be in today’s port this fall while on our retirement cruise.  Prayers for all on our prayer list especially @Scrapnana, I hope we get an update soon. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

Congratulations on giving your Big R notice!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’m not a fan of tin cans but I’ll celebrate the rest of the days and today’s quote. It’s 36 degrees and we’re expecting lots of rain from the storm traveling across the country.

Inwas hacked on Facebook and it sent out an awful message to people about someone who died. Not true.

Prayers for all those who need it and I hope we hear from Kathi soon.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 24

39 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and thank you for your years of service in the work force.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's 58F and cloudy with some showers expected this morning, and hopefully a sunny afternoon with a temp of 68.  A salute to popcorn, tin cans and making new friends.  I would like the menu suggestion.  No thanks to the drink and chardonnay.  Much appreciation to Rich @richwmnand Roy @rafinmdfor giving us the Daily and Fleet Report.  The port of Kusadasi, Turkey is a great one, and most of us went to see Ephesus so there should be lots of photos.  In fact, the first time we had Kusadasi was Jan. 13, 2022 and I had a busy morning away from home that day.  Therefore I posted only a few photos of the actual town of Kusadasi since there were was an abundance of Ephesus photos that day.  Even so, I'll look for a few photos of Ephesus to share.

Prayers for all on the Care list, and lets hope we get some good news about Kathi @Scrapnanasoon.  Good wishes for Jacqui, Tana, and Sarah today.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list!  

Here's the link to Rich's post from Jan. 13, 2022:

I loved our visit to Ephesus in Kusadasi, Turkey in November 2012 on Crown Princess.  We had a Cruise Critic roll call tour with a few of our fellow passengers.  But first our tour stopped at the final resting place of the Virgin Mary, located in the Solmissus Mountains.  

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnqi2gtaM2VnnFMG0Zhvmr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365864

"Pilgrims" leave their prayers on the wall outside her reconstructed home.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxitOOhBI86TRt4E3OrBvj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365889

I think he's got it covered here - draw closer to God, be a CEO of a company, marry a fair maiden and good health for his family.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsQOZ5JzFliqPsU36AcUGQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356365912

On to Ephesus.  Our guide Filiz Capraz00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHx0beaGJGyBCii9fQCsOU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368015

Bits and pieces of stone found at the site00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImWY50d1ZO6PUp8bpiguYi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368064

Very cool00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdeGAZs6IsyfpAMC7746Or?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368077

Each column was different00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAaqhP3xgHb0skXwiLWCma?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368096

Wow!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKejwBdq6qFD-tsJo-zHQF9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368179

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLArmszYKZ-bz-EVRu1SPjq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366517

The Celsus Library00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAbNLtGUInE3dxLfu-Xvos?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366892

We went in to view the Terrace Houses which are covered to preserve them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_EuX-2ANY5UIWG--1QO2Y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366641

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJv_bXdhHS_nvIKEAEH6tFZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368496

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJC0K71rcYG8ph_TKpimcHM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366796

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPrgdJiMQx3cOZO1_6ilKv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356366885

The Great Theater00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ28tDsz4Ih62vE3IauO1bw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368775

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKgSa5XkA5xwnPbpeTzZON3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1356368741

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Congratulations @Mr. Bostonon your upcoming retirement!  I'll drink to that!🥂

On the other hand Jacqui @kazuwhat a bummer to have to be in that cast for at least 3 more weeks.  Maybe next visit he will put a splint on it which is better tolerated.  Pretty color though!🙂

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Morning folks! We achieved a lot yesterday with unpacking, laundry, mail sorting, bill paying and enjoying our recliners!

Today is my annual cardiology evaluation and tonight we’ll meet with our church small group. In other words not many other things planned.

It’s around 67F with a forecasted high in mid seventies. In looking around my yard and neighborhood the recent freezing temperatures has damaged a lot of shrubbery and plantings. Will wait and see if they survived with new growth.

Need to do do some preparation for tonight’s small group get together.

Thanks to all and continued prayers.

image.jpeg.a3a98661d125724ecea9a5749ee6332a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ba23ed1990c093b84b479ccf10b0e527.jpegimage.jpeg.03e2ca53cc8657718b6cae61c91317ff.jpegimage.jpeg.c48e2ad4476da2cd26f5a087b85e9032.jpegimage.jpeg.31c6bee2a9c5cc326ef0b9248437a3c7.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good morning, I am a long time lurking and a fan of @Scrapnana cruise blogs. I had a friend and coworker who had a stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma 5 years ago and she is going strong today. It is very rough treatment but she is healthy enough to be Dean of a medical school. 

Thanks for letting me post and prayers for Kathi.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7