Short Time in Vancouver: What to do?

MOSusan

12 minutes ago, MOSusan said:

We arrive in Vancouver by ship on Friday morning and fly out Saturday at 4:30.  What should we try to see in our short time there?

oh just general walking around the port area.  You can see a statue from 2010 Olympics and also walk down to gaslight area.

P5120019.JPG

P5120022.JPG

P5120032.JPG

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

This will probably get moved to ports of call section, if it has not already 😉 .....but there is a beautiful gardens area in Vancouver called Butchart Gardens.   Well worth touring 🙂 

Isn’t that on Vancouver island, not in Vancouver?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

This will probably get moved to ports of call section, if it has not already 😉 .....but there is a beautiful gardens area in Vancouver called Butchart Gardens.   Well worth touring 🙂 

That's not in the city of Vancouver.  It's in Victoria.  And it's a somewhat lengthy journey to get there (ferry and bus/car).

6 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Isn’t that on Vancouver island, not in Vancouver?

Ahhh...yes, you are right.  It's been years....sorry.   And I just checked, it's closed.  We spent some very enjoyable time at both Victoria and Vancouver some years ago.  😞 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ahhh...yes, you are right.  It's been years....sorry.   And I just checked, it's closed.  We spent some very enjoyable time at both Victoria and Vancouver some years ago.  😞 

Butchart Garden is closed for two weeks, reopening February 6th.

As far as the OP question, Stanley Park is a great area to visit and the public market on Granville Island is another of our favorites.  

• Like 2

I did a city tour and then drop off to airport.  It was pretty good.  We also spent time at park.  I think it was Stanley Park.

Is RC still offering this excursion?

Edited by moposh

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Butchart Garden is closed for two weeks, reopening February 6th.

As far as the OP question, Stanley Park is a great area to visit and the public market on Granville Island is another of our favorites.  

I really need to get back there again....was always a treat to visit.  🙂 

• Like 1

I would stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place [at the port] and tour for the day and half.  [they will store luggage for you] You can take the sky train to the airport.  [short walk] We liked watching the float planes take off and land from the harbor, too. Short walk to China Town. 

There are a couple of HOHO buses that will take you around the area.  We found the difference was mostly how many stops they make in Stanley Park.  It is well worth visiting.  The bus will take you to China Town and several other points of interest.  We are not big on organized tours. YMMV

We stayed at the Hampton Inn farther from the port [on HOHO stop] Second visit we just stayed near airport overnight.  But, we said the next time we will stay at Pan Pacific.  The embark/disembark is in basement of hotel.  

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Vancouver may be my favorite city in the world.

If you like Asian food, it has an amazing Chinatown.

Stanley Park is beautiful.

Capilano Suspension Bridge, if you're not scared of wobbly heights.

3 hours ago, MOSusan said:

We arrive in Vancouver by ship on Friday morning and fly out Saturday at 4:30.  What should we try to see in our short time there?

I spent the first 50 years of life living in Vancouver and agree with @Husky1987 The only changes I'd make to the list is I'd add... find somewhere to eat in what is called the West end.  There are several good spots around Beach Ave. / Denman St. / Davie St.  It is a very busy and vibrant area.  If you have a car for the day drive around Stanley Park and you end up in the West End.  

The other change would be to go to Lynn Canyon instead of Capilano Suspension bridge.  It is more interesting in my opinion and it is free.  It has an awesome suspension bridge (better than Capilano's) and lots of great trails to hike.  Also, you can get much closer to the falls.

Also, Vancouver's China town is utterly amazing just be careful not to venture too far north of China Town when walking.  The Main St and Hastings St area of Vancouver is one of the worst areas in Canada. It is an open drug market with rampant crime and homelessness. If you were walking Google maps walking direction will take you from the east side of China Town right through that area if walking to the popular tourist area of Gas Town.  If you go through China Town east to west then turn north and cross Hasting farther down you will enjoy the walk much more.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

Living in Vancouver I agree with most of what’s being said with a couple of caveats.

I’d be careful in Chinatown and would stay out of the downtown east side (which is near Chinatown - your hotel will know where this is and advise accordingly). It is a hot mess down there and most locals avoid it.  

Grouse Mountain is a great way to spend a day and I think they have a free shuttle from downtown.   Take the gondola up the hill - walking trails, chairlift up to the peak where you can see from Mt. Baker to Vancouver Island, lumberjack shows, birds of prey show, options for lunch/dinner. 

If the mountaintop adventure isn’t your jam - but you like to walk and explore urban areas - head over to Science World and get on the sea wall.   You can walk over to Granville Island (market, shops, restaurants), grab some lunch and then take the water taxi straight across False Creek and you could keep walking on the sea wall all the way to Stanley Park. It’s a lot of walking but a great way to spend a day and eat your way through the city.   

Restaurants:    Joe Fortes never disappoints - chop house

Kissa Tanto - amazing Asian fusion

MacKenzie Room - tremendous

Miku - Japanese - right beside Canada Place and the food is fantastic - great views 

There are a million great ramen places 

Banana Leaf for great Malaysian 

Rodney’s Oyster Bar - handsome waiters and oysters.   Bravo 😁

HOHO is always a really great way to get a sense of a city if it’s your first time - maybe make use of that if an urban hike isn’t your jam.  

Have Fun!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:50 PM, time4u2go said:

What will you be doing with your luggage?  That probably matters in answering this.

We thought we would just head to our hotel and ask them to hold the luggage until check-in time. 

What wonderful options you all have give us.  I'd love to stay at the Pan Pacific but I just looked up their nightly rate.  Ouch!  I think we'll look for something a little more reasonable.  The HOHO bus sounds like a good way to get around without having to rent a car, I will look into that. 

12 hours ago, MOSusan said:

What wonderful options you all have give us.  I'd love to stay at the Pan Pacific but I just looked up their nightly rate.  Ouch!  I think we'll look for something a little more reasonable.  The HOHO bus sounds like a good way to get around without having to rent a car, I will look into that. 

If I am looking for a basic hotel in the downtown core a few of the choices I would look at:

- Days Inn (this is 100+ year old building, refurbish rooms, nothing remarkable about them but it s clean, safe and a good location).

-  Sandman Hotel (near the stadium), more upscale than the Days Inn but generally small rooms.  Good location but not as close to the cruise ship terminal.

- Pinnacle Hotel (close to the core of the city, older hotel, nice rooms, potentially a great view).

- EXchange Hotel (before being a hotel this use to be the Vancouver Stock Exchange building).  Older building but that transformed into a hotel.  You can sometimes get good rates.  Great location, nice rooms.  Nothing over the top.

Edited by em-sk

On 1/25/2023 at 6:40 AM, MOSusan said:

Have you checked Blue Horizon on Robson street ? We stayed there last October and booked again for this coming May. It's a great hotel .

Edited by Moon Orchid