The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 1st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is National Freedom Day, No Politics Day, and Spunky Old Broads Day

Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.--Veronica Roth, Divergent

Meal Suggestion for today - Miso Butter Cod
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada Martini
Wine of the Day - Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2018
Destination of the Day - Pisco, Puerto General San Martin, Peru

Eurodam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii eta 2-06

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 2-02

Nieuw Statendam

St John Island USVI, Cruz Bay, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 15:30

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina 08:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 2-02

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 2-06
Edited by Sandi At Sea Destination Dallmann Bay, Antarctica 2-01

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 2-03

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Timaru, New Zealand 10:00 - 20:00

Westerdam

Drydock Malaysia until 2/2

Zuiderdam

Auckland, New Zealand 07:00 - 17:00

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJU0U8tUK_AuXJFXMILx-EJV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=small&ts=1675246166

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Some improvement today in the Care list length and I'm happy to say some additons to the Celebrations!

Today’s care list:

Tyre Nichols funeral 2/1 RIP

Roy in hospital with pneumonia and low sodium

Luvteaching DH in hospital making progress
Kazu awaiting bone clinic visit & X-rays

From the rotation:
HAL Sailer DSIL in final days and family squabbles

Status of Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Successful bypass (5X) surgery for Rudy

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14?
Redneck Bob leaving Vegas

Sarah feeling great after injections
Welcome home Cruzn single, DeenieEncinitas, Sailingdutchy and Norseh2o
3 days for 0106 (Rotterdam 2/4 to 2/15)

6 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena 2/7 to 2/19)

6 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina 2/7 to 4/6)

Kochleffel (Norwegian Getaway to 2/6), Cruising sister (Disney Dream to 2/4), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!  Good morning friends on this first day of February.  I hope saying those words will help make this month a safe month for me, and everyone who pronounces them.  Today is going to be cloudy, it's 56 now and will only rise to 61F.  Not too bad and better than most I would bet.  

Wow, today is Freedom Day which everyone wants to celebrate.  I treasure mine.  I wish every day was No Politics Day but that won't happen!  And Spunky Old Broads Day is just for fun so let's enjoy!   The quote is interesting.  No thanks to the Cod, the so called martini and the red wine though DH would like it.  The port is General San Martin, Peru the port for Pisco.  I stopped at the former but not the latter so I hope someone has photos of Pisco.  You won't see much at Puerto General San Martin, but I will show you what I did there in 2015.  The link to the first time we had this port here is below, and the date of that was Sept. 25, 2021.  Feel free to search for your photos.

Well, I hope Roy @rafinmd is feeling much better this morning and got some rest overnight.  The nurses coming in during the night and the sounds of a hospital make that difficult.  I hope that Roy is home soon where he can recover in peace.  We have some people on our Care list to pray for and hope for improvement there. 🙏 I'll do that while on the treadmill. I especially want to pray for Roy, Jacqui, Tana, Kathi (no word yet on her that I've seen), the people of Ukraine, and anyone in the midst of winter storms which are so dangerous.  We also have some people on the Celebration list with exciting cruises to plan for and the rest are enjoying one!  Three cheers for all of you!🥂  

I texted DS last night.  He said Monday night he drove from the Dallas airport to their airbnb which was about 30 to 35 miles, but there was black ice on some of the roads.  Luckily there was little traffic as everyone stayed home.  He said he drove very cautiously.  Yesterday practice was called off for the MLS team, but the scout did agree to train the out of town boys for about 75 minutes which was appreciated.  DS said the roads weren't as bad in the afternoon.  Don't know what will happen today.  Last I heard one of the boys was enjoying the hot tub outside on the snowy/icy patio!  

Here is the link to Rich's @richwmnpost from Sept. 25, 2021 for General San Martin, Peru (Pisco).

I remember General San Martin, Peru on our 2015 South America Cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've never seen a more dismal docking spot!  We didn't make plans to go to Pisco since DH was suffering from a total body rash due to his allergy to the more exotic mushrooms he had consumed at dinner.  So instead I paid a small fee for a ship shuttle bus to the village of Paracas.  Some new friends I met on the ship went with me.  

Here's the port of General San Martin, left to right.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjC0DXbkIDIuBu4dk0Zqtt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216761

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINqT8LHqNxWMqeCvpar5dn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216763

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIo75_7qhuND0sGqK1PsNZ2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216764

So unless you plan on staying on the ship all day, you have to plan something away from the port because you can't get off and walk around the town like we love to do.  The bus ride takes maybe 20-25 minutes to reach Paracas.  This is the scenery along the way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLor8xOoC7LsPbZt9Z-02ak?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216778

There's a nice visitor center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPcAqAxlHrADwP8vkoX5rx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

Once outside you see a lot of fishing boats.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJG_PlSueIRgP_CWFkaVovQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

There are plenty of places to eat and drink.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIspldBOl2evizkUw98agp0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216808

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLyFfOvky-tVtet0HBh62e3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216815

Lots of shopping too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSKYUsuNLa9f2G_bW3a7Hp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216820

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeZussoRnHbEJS6apCkOwi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216818

A friendly pelican  Edited to add, in the background you can see the Ruby Princess on the opposite side of the "bay".00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-BugoOiM9EgW_y8Y_VnZO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216825

Interesting art displays00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRtsHqvgn2ZfTV5fd1lqfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216822

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLseKoxqvzKYO99AhC9PjpF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216832

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlXRclKc7rY9GwNaZ0Y6sE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216839

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIloZgaQantRrAF_1QLla67?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216835

Not just the ship passengers here, the locals enjoyed their free time here too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKN_w8C7JBbV-KyUs2e4Mgn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLE__ZEg9dPlh9RZogJZkGQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

Driving back to the ship, along the road is the entrance to the Paracas National Reserve,   which protects the desert and marine ecosystems here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsRYjPeYsTC5ZjyR5ZgoVk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216866

This was my day in General San Martin.  I'll be interested in seeing pictures from those who visited Piscto.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

RNB leaving Las Vegas. Wasn’t that a movie years ago. I know when I saw it I needed a drink afterwards.

No Politics Day. I know two branches of government that will not observe this day. Did I just violate no politics day.

It is also National Baked Alaska Day. What, HAL left this out. I know why, it’s due to the following true story I’m about to tell. Years ago we were on an Alaska cruise and dining one night in the Pinnacle Grille. I had ordered for my dessert Baked Alaska. After I finished the entrees I waited and waited and waited for the Baked Alaska. After 30-40 minutes it finally was served. Once I cut into it all the ice cream had melted. I called the PG Manager over to our table and asked what happened. He said and I quote, “We have been having problems with the BA and any way the BA is just for show.” 😳. Sounded like a lot of BS to me!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Today is National Freedom Day, No Politics Day, and Spunky Old Broads Day

@StLouisCruisers , thank you so much for continuing the Daily, the fleet and care and celebration reports,  while Roy is healing.  

I love these:  Today is National Freedom Day, No Politics Day, and Spunky Old Broads Day

I suspect from his funny posts, if RNB ( @RedneckBob ) was a woman, he would be a Spunky Old Broad, 😂

Good luck to your DS and the boys in Dallas.  My brother lives in the area, and they just want this ice to move on out. 

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful thread!, 

Have a warm, safe, and wonderful day, everyone 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 29

Thank you Sandi for today's daily reports,lists and fabulous photos.

Thank you also for Sarah's mention.

Rabbit, Rabbit white Rabbit for the first of the month.

A big Yes for Freedom day and No Politics.

Excellent quote.

Nice Food and drink.

Prayers for all our friends who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230201_064914.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Rabbit  Rabbit   White Rabbit

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Welcome February, please be good to us.

I love the collection of days, although I don't think I'm old enough 😉 to be a spunky old broad.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Another cold and snowy day here, guess I'll stay in.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Buenos Diaz! Up early as neither of us slept well. It was quite the adventure getting here yesterday but in the end we were four hours late and our bags arrived with us. After checking in we went to the pool side cafe for a late snack. Ended up having octopus, purple onion, asparagus pizza. First time for that type pizza and it was pretty good. Octopus is pretty common down here.

I thought Red Neck Bob would have more to say about spunky old broads rather then Baked (sloshy)Alaska!😁

Waiting for our sunrise which is kind of late at 7:30. Main objective is have coffee and breakfast then hang out by the pool all day and maybe a dip in the Caribbean Sea!

Did see a couple of cruise ships pass by last night which is pretty common when we visit here.

Thanks Sandi for getting The Daily started. I hope today finds Roy and Jacqui doing better.

image.jpeg.576e2121f9e1a0595a8efcc6895063ad.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4c232191b16c840446a4109cdd60059c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.02545a5416426b20dd9c2787b1d3e227.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0d4ecb94d267947a1d673f4e616cbd96.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 16

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Welcome February.

Pina Colada Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Coconut Rum
1 part Cruzan® Pineapple Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice
Pineapple Wedge

Instructions
Combine the Cruzan® Rums together into a mixing glass with ice and add a splash of pineapple juice. Stir and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 7.09.33 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. We are almost ready to enter Gerlache Strait on our way to Paradise Bay. The weather has been uncooperative but our guide says the further south we go it gets clearer. We had multiple Humpbacks this morning. Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi and Tana and all the others on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Our first sighting of land in Antarctica which is Brabant Island named after a Belgian village.  I will try to locate some photos of our visit to Pisco. They may have to done piecemeal as wifi is pretty slow. I am sure some are trying to stream as our TV signal died yesterday morning.   Nancy 

IMG_20230201_090515610.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

In Pisco the two major excursions were Ballestas Islands and a flight to the Nazca lines. Others were land excursions to Pisco grape growers and distillers. We were there January 16th this year. My good wildlife photos are on my laptop. The Candelabra, two pics of the booby nesting grounds on the Ballestas. Nancy 

IMG_20230116_102333993_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230116_105358079.jpg

IMG_20230116_105403433.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi and our List.

Great collection of days - Freedom is precious and should be celebrated.  A day without any politics would be great - a year would be better.  I don’t like to think of myself as old, but I have certainly been called spunky on more than one occasion 😉 

Love today’s quote and it’s so true and it can be harder than it sounds, at times.

well, today is D-Day - back to the hospital for the tell all X-Rays and, hopefully good enough to suit my surgeon and to go in a cast.  It will be a long day, I fear.  Hoping he is happy and no frowns and that I will have a new one to show off although I don’t normally ask people to sign it 😉 

4A35D74F-BDDC-4644-AD56-31A92976C2D8.thumb.jpeg.aaddfd6d0b6c68d00c0c34637effdfca.jpeg

well, the polar vortex is starting to arrive here.  It’s c-c-c-cold and going to get worse.  @erewhonwe have the same temp as you only instead of +25 C, it’s - 25.  That will be warm compared to tomorrow.

Thinking of Roy @rafinmdand hoping that he continues to make progress 🙏🏻 In his best tradition, here is a pic of the sunset last night at Gondola Point.

B8D791A5-69D4-4D74-938C-2937D3DB14C5.thumb.jpeg.d0c0739091be5a8617cbe6a4844c4eb4.jpeg

@aliaschiefglad you are in the warmth of Cancun after all the flight delays.

@JazzyVyay on the passport coming to you!

@ottahand7what a shame about your Canaletto dinner and the loss of your good bottle of wine with it.

@Rowsbysorry that your shoulder is causing so much grief and difficulty sleeping - praying you get the help you need soon. 🙏🏻 

@Cruzin Terrihoping the sleep helped you recover and you are feeling better today.

@luvteachingglad to hear of your DH’s improvement.  May it continue 🙏🏻 

@kochleffelsafe travels and have a great time!

@Seasick SailorGlad to hear that you are improving - hope it continues.

Glad to hear Sarah felt like going out for dinner 👍 and hoping still to hear some news on Kathi.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers to all those celebrating 🥂 

5D090CDA-8CF1-44B9-91E4-844BFB53E9C1.thumb.jpeg.4bd39970e17bb3b41d10bf1f56ea1100.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Report, Daily, maps and list. I am in awe at how you just jumped into this role!

Praying that Roy had a restful and productive 😉 night. Another lovely morning here. Off for an early haircut. Then I need to browse another Aldi, and if nothing else pick up lettuce. The one I purchased from “ my” Aldi already had slimy pieces, because it was so poorly packaged. Then Bindi walks and my afternoon HIIT class will round out my day. 

Thank you to everyone who gave me shredder recommendations, I will be picking one up from my local Sam’s tomorrow. 

I have been thinking about changing my avatar & cc name - what do you think?

C8F95944-4F1D-461D-8629-9E7CC983BC4B.jpeg.65a936be4c3e0b4c9198478306eab43c.jpeg

And I am starting to plan my Spring planting, March is right around the corner…

B9BE8085-BBD3-4571-89FD-D5B045F6DD9C.jpeg.d71719d705714b6e9d1b6e6d50a75c4c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating - especially Sarah, who felt well enough to go out to eat!  

Get well and stay well everyone!

Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2018

This Cab has a lot of fans in the consumer and critics ranks. But it comes with a price - several online distributors with prices starting at $170.00.

Winemaker Notes

#9 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

As this slowly begins to unwind in the glass it releases gorgeous aromas of blackberries, dark plums and Creme de cassis that are accented by graphite, violets, herbs, sweet spices and mocha which all take shape beautifully. The palate is full-bodied, concentrated and incredibly fresh, with a round polished texture and a dense layered core of ripe dark fruits that expands seamlessly into the lavish finish. While the 2018 is already stunning to drink in its youth, it should ultimately go on to have a brilliant future ahead and evolve gracefully for at least two decades

D100 Decanter
This is as good as it gets for Washington Cabernet Sauvignon. Right away the gorgeous creme de violette and creme de cassis tones join blackberry cordial, exotic spices and dark chocolate shavings. The combination of finesse and texture is downright scintillating. Sweet pipe tobacco is woven together with Black Forest cake, and fresh blueberries and graphite with shades of tar take shape on the palate. Truly sensational even at the three year mark, this will provide drinking enjoyment over the next 20 plus years.
RP98 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The capsule of the 2018 celebrates the 40th vintage, otherwise unnoted specifically to keep the consistency of the label. The nose is soft and delineated with lifted dark red and black fruit essences that waft with a delicate floral lift. Showing a softer and compact frame that delivers fine and focused aromas, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon packs complex layers in the nose, with a fresh bouquet of red and purple flowers, violets, lilac and sakura before overflowing with a fruit bowl of aromatics, including black raspberry, black cherry and juicy plum with blackberry nuances, all shining through with a thoughtful frame of French oak tones. Medium to full-bodied at 14.8% alcohol, the palate bursts with precision and finesse and there's an elegant frame that offers lively acidity and succulent, fine-grained tannins. The 40th vintage marks a brilliant success for Quilceda Creek, attaining a lighter chassis that captures the same magic without being overly generous. The 2018's tighter frame has allowed the wine to express layers of beautiful dark red fruit flavors and supple oak spices that make the wine slightly spicy with cinnamon essence while offering the same precision without any sacrifices to the overall experience. Ultimately, the wine glides to a remarkably long and textured finish that will last for a couple of decades. Bravo! This is another successful vintage for Quilceda Creek. Run, don't walk to get this into your cellar!

JD98 Jeb Dunnuck

Another magical Cabernet Sauvignon from this team, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley comes from a blend of sites and is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon brought up mostly in new French oak. This vivid purple-hued beauty offers a kaleidoscope-like array of red and black currants, spice box, lead pencil shavings, crushed stone, and assorted tobacco and leafy herb nuances. These carry to full-bodied Cabernet with incredibly purity of fruit, building tannins and structure, flawless balance, and a monster of a finish that won't quit. Rating: 98+

JS98 James Suckling

This is really gorgeous with crushed berries, currants and dark chocolate. Really aromatic. It’s full-bodied and soft with precise tannins and great length. Such polish and balance. Plush and focused. Lovely freshness. Subtle and complex. Sophisticated. Beautiful center palate. Pure cabernet sauvignon. So drinkable now, but will age nicely.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast

Aromas of black raspberry, dried herb, cherry, incense, cranberry and spice explode from the glass. The flavors undulate across the palate, creamy in feel, with layer upon layer of fruit and barrel flavors. It is completely seamless, with outrageous balance-the quintessential hammer in a velvet glove. The finish carries off into the distance. Best after 2032.

WS95 Wine Spectator

A dynamic red, impeccably structured yet rich and harmonious, with expressive blackberry and black tea flavors laced with a hint of tobacco, which builds tension toward big but polished tannins.

W&S94 Wine & Spirits

This 2018, Quilceda’s 40th vintage, reflects the brand’s textbook power, polish and poise, a forward cabernet robed in satin. From their two estate vineyards, Champoux and Mach One, this wine leads with a savory scent of baking spice, cedar and pine tips, mostly foresty and exotic. Its flavors are opulent and rich, a deep red with charry fruit, the spice and savor lending all that richness character and complexity. It’s a baby; cellar.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Thank you @StLouisCruisersfor getting us started every morning while @rafinmdis healing and @richwmnis cruising.  I also appreciate the food & drink info, port pictures and memes that make me smile.  

Been thinking about the quote…I try to face my fears…as a result, I have had some wonderful experiences.

5C748BFD-1705-47BE-99C7-2B8E7853C438.thumb.webp.2b9a713474c2b45328cbe8ff8d4ff4ee.webp

Postive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to all have a reason to celebrate.

• Like 30

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

Up early this morning to prepare refreshments for today's Bible class.

Today would have been DH's 72nd birthday, so DS & I will honor him tonight at his favorite restaurant and share good memories.

Prayers for all who need them, especially Roy. Cheers for all who are celebrating!

Edi

• Like 29

Good morning. We woke up to icy snow on the street and sidewalk and I decided the teenager could get up and take the dogs out. School is delayed by two hours but he didn’t find that out until after he came back in.

Tana and I were up a good deal of the night as she seems to have a GI bug. Her son was sick with it two days ago and kept himself away from everyone but as we know these viruses are wicked. She finished her antibiotics for the pneumonia yesterday. No rest for the weary.

I like the days but realize the no politics one is impossible these days. I thought it was funny that one becomes an “old broad” at fifty. I would be hard pressed to remember being fifty at this point. Yesterday I found myself quoting my mother once again regarding being cold. I never really understood (until now) why the poor woman could never get warm….

The executive chef and I discussed making clam chowder yesterday but there were no fresh clams at the fish store. I did get several pieces of cod which were very tasty. I will have to come up with something bland if she feels like eating later.

@rafinmd, Roy, I hope you are starting to feel better and that you were able to sleep last night.

@kazu, lost blue bubble, but hope you get some good news today for a change.

Sandi, @St LouisCruisers, thank you for keeping the daily going and managing lists, pictures,ports and commentary.

And thanks to all of you out there who make this a very special place to come to every day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi and our List.

Great collection of days - Freedom is precious and should be celebrated.  A day without any politics would be great - a year would be better.  I don’t like to think of myself as old, but I have certainly been called spunky on more than one occasion 😉 

Love today’s quote and it’s so true and it can be harder than it sounds, at times.

well, today is D-Day - back to the hospital for the tell all X-Rays and, hopefully good enough to suit my surgeon and to go in a cast.  It will be a long day, I fear.  Hoping he is happy and no frowns and that I will have a new one to show off although I don’t normally ask people to sign it 😉 

4A35D74F-BDDC-4644-AD56-31A92976C2D8.thumb.jpeg.aaddfd6d0b6c68d00c0c34637effdfca.jpeg

well, the polar vortex is starting to arrive here.  It’s c-c-c-cold and going to get worse.  @erewhonwe have the same temp as you only instead of +25 C, it’s - 25.  That will be warm compared to tomorrow.

Thinking of Roy @rafinmdand hoping that he continues to make progress 🙏🏻 In his best tradition, here is a pic of the sunset last night at Gondola Point.

B8D791A5-69D4-4D74-938C-2937D3DB14C5.thumb.jpeg.d0c0739091be5a8617cbe6a4844c4eb4.jpeg

@aliaschiefglad you are in the warmth of Cancun after all the flight delays.

@JazzyVyay on the passport coming to you!

@ottahand7what a shame about your Canaletto dinner and the loss of your good bottle of wine with it.

@Rowsbysorry that your shoulder is causing so much grief and difficulty sleeping - praying you get the help you need soon. 🙏🏻 

@Cruzin Terrihoping the sleep helped you recover and you are feeling better today.

@luvteachingglad to hear of your DH’s improvement.  May it continue 🙏🏻 

@kochleffelsafe travels and have a great time!

@Seasick SailorGlad to hear that you are improving - hope it continues.

Glad to hear Sarah felt like going out for dinner 👍 and hoping still to hear some news on Kathi.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers to all those celebrating 🥂 

5D090CDA-8CF1-44B9-91E4-844BFB53E9C1.thumb.jpeg.4bd39970e17bb3b41d10bf1f56ea1100.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

Thank you Jacqui.

We are in constant contact with Sarah and are really happy she wants to go to our favourite Italian restaurant.

Very best wishes for a positive x-ray assessment today and a new cast being put on your arm afterwards.

Graham.

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

Up early this morning to prepare refreshments for today's Bible class.

Today would have been DH's 72nd birthday, so DS & I will honor him tonight at his favorite restaurant and share good memories.

Prayers for all who need them, especially Roy. Cheers for all who are celebrating!

Edi

Happy 72nd birthday in heaven for your DH Edi.

Best wishes for a nice celebration tonight with your DS at your late husband's favourite restaurant.

Graham.

0E28A08F-12A8-48E8-A080-FF0DF318DC39.gif.3041fde9886fd59f1bdcb8aa942c2699.gif

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We woke up to icy snow on the street and sidewalk and I decided the teenager could get up and take the dogs out. School is delayed by two hours but he didn’t find that out until after he came back in.

Tana and I were up a good deal of the night as she seems to have a GI bug. Her son was sick with it two days ago and kept himself away from everyone but as we know these viruses are wicked. She finished her antibiotics for the pneumonia yesterday. No rest for the weary.

I like the days but realize the no politics one is impossible these days. I thought it was funny that one becomes an “old broad” at fifty. I would be hard pressed to remember being fifty at this point. Yesterday I found myself quoting my mother once again regarding being cold. I never really understood (until now) why the poor woman could never get warm….

The executive chef and I discussed making clam chowder yesterday but there were no fresh clams at the fish store. I did get several pieces of cod which were very tasty. I will have to come up with something bland if she feels like eating later.

@rafinmd, Roy, I hope you are starting to feel better and that you were able to sleep last night.

@kazu, lost blue bubble, but hope you get some good news today for a change.

Sandi, @St LouisCruisers, thank you for keeping the daily going and managing lists, pictures,ports and commentary.

And thanks to all of you out there who make this a very special place to come to every day.

For Tana.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Not a good night for Roy.

he says: 

A very frustrating day and night.  Despite high O2 levels I’m still struggling to breathe.  I’m also pretty much a      
prisoner in my bed, unable to get out without a nurse escort, which often is very delayed.  My discharges from the back.  The extended time seems to be causing back pain.  Barely slept at all last night.  

me:
further update this afternoon as I am off to visit my 92=year old father to get his credit card issues straightened out. Will read the daily when I get back.
Edited by superoma
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 19

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Good morning, everyone.  

I've been repeating the rabbit phrase over and over for the last hour.  I woke up very congested and not feeling too well, so I decided to do a Covid test.  Negative.  Thank you, rabbits.  The congestion is clearing out and I'm feeling back to normal now.  I think the congestion comes due to my deviated septum and the CPAP.  

I am proud to be a spunky old broad.  The last thing I want my nieces and nephews to do is remember me as a sweet old lady.  I want them telling stories about me and laughing.

Today's meal sounds pretty tasty to me.  Miso is a fermented soybean paste from Japan used as seasoning throughout Asian cuisine. Miso soup may be its most familiar application, but it makes an appearance in everything from salad dressings to pickles and marinades. It’s even one of the crucial components of soy sauce. The history of miso can be traced to its ancient Chinese counterpart, soybean jiang, one variation in a genre of thick pastes known as jiang.  For more information on miso, you can read here:   https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-miso-easy-miso-broth-recipe-with-chef-gordon-ramsay

This first recipe is really easy and uses white miso.  It is also very healthy.   https://recipecenter.stopandshop.com/recipes/218200/baked-cod-with-miso-butter

769352450_misobuttercod1.jpg.b1092de9fdbd09097b1073fdf112373f.jpg

This next one is a dinner packet, baked in foil with vegetables included.  It uses a red miso.  There is a difference in flavor between the miso choices.  I think the red miso is a good contrast to the light colored fish.   https://www.tablefortwoblog.com/miso-butter-cod-foil-packets/

1524806337_misobuttercod2.jpg.dfb61f47d2aa5af1280aa3cfdd877d30.jpg

This one goes back to the white miso judging by the color in the photograph.  The miso butter is a bit more involved and sounds really good.  It would be great on the broccoli as well.  https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mains/miso-butter-cod-with-roasted-broccoli

1370768178_misobuttercod3.thumb.jpg.4b45a6ae70370b27c21f9bfccee8045c.jpg

This last recipe marinates the fish for a day or two in a miso marinade.  That sounds really good.  https://www.justonecookbook.com/black-cod-with-miso/

1440826989_misobuttercod4.thumb.jpg.5f7ca89b0074aa277cc8948d809c088c.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm grateful for the freedoms we have, especially compared to other parts of the world.  I try not to get into political discussions, but watch a lot of it on television.  I think I could be called a Spunky Old Broad, and I'd be happy to wear that moniker.  Even though I'm not that old.  LOL

According to the forecast, we have 1 more day of this darn cold weather before it starts to smarten up again.  Right now it's "only" -24C, but tomorrow we're expecting it to get down to -36C, so if we need to get out and do anything, it should happen today while it's still "warm".  @kazuI'm sorry you're on the receiving end of this Polar Vortex - for you it's even colder with the humidity.  Stay safe!

@NextOne Happy Angel Birthday to your DH; special days are always difficult to manage, but by doing what he enjoyed, I hope it will make the day easier for you.

@grapau27I'm so happy to hear Sarah felt well enough to go out for dinner; hopefully the injection effects will be long lasting.

@rafinmdHopefully things are "progressing" for you.

@kochleffelBon Voyage; have a great cruise!

@kazu Sending good vibes that you have a positive outcome at the doctor's today.

@smitty34877 You were a smart woman to let the teenager take the doggos out this morning.  I'm sorry to hear Tana has picked up a bug.

@Seasick SailorI hope you're feeling better this morning after yesterday's adventure at the oral surgeon.

@JazzyVHoping your eye problems clear up soon!

I'd like to try the drink, and would appreciate trying the wine - if someone else paid for it!  While we don't have cod on hand, we do have salmon, so tonight it's going to be lemon roast potatoes, salmon and veggies at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to all with celebrations. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m not a big fish eater so will pass on today’s meal suggestion, instead we will have spaghetti.  DH got good news about the polyps, they were benign.  It’s a busy work morning full of meetings.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.png.266c11bd79c0acb5779409be0c5c88fb.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

Rabbit Rabbit White Rabbit. I’m still trainable.

Woke up to a surprise snow today in Maryland. Hoping the roads will be ok when I leave for  the dentist’s. 

Sending blessings to all in need of healing and hope. No frowns from @kazuJacqui’s doctor, may the comment be “AMAZING!”  Same from Roy’s doctors. 

Cheers to those celebrating milestones and memories.

Smooth travels and happy adventures to those away. Thanks for sharing with us your travels of past present and future. Always Love the pictures of such varied places in the world. What a delight!  

Thanks to all who contribute their time, effort and spirit to this thread! — Maureen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1