The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 1st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

🐇🐇🐇

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday. I’d be proud to be called a spunky old broad. I never talk politics and get really upset with my brother when he just won’t stop.  We should all celebrate our freedom. 

It’s funny that today’s meal suggestion is miso cod because I have some black cod in a miso marinade in the fridge for tomorrow. It’s similar to the third recipe and very easy to make. It works on any type of fish too, I just had some black cod, aka sablefish, in the freezer. https://www.sitkasalmonshares.com/blogs/culinary/recipes/nobu-style-sablefish-rice-bowl
I don’t bother with the first step of cooking it on the stovetop, it comes out just as good using the oven and a short blast from the broiler. One really nice thing about sablefish is it actually tastes better overcooked which really helps in this recipe. I’ll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow. 

Good news about Roy going home tonight. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

Good morning, 

Heading in to see DH in a bit and get caught up with therapists, etc. He did well yesterday and his vocabulary and feistiness is definitely returning. He transferred from the bed to the wheelchair unassisted but needed help getting back. I'll take it! 

When our school got a copy machine we had boxes of old ditto masters. Not wanting to let anything go to waste I grabbed them and came up with a Halloween art project called "Spooky Pictures." The kids drew a spooky picture (not gory or graphic) on notebook paper then we paper clipped it to the ditto master, took out the brown sheet, and the kids traced over their picture using a lot of pressure so the ink transferred. We also had a discussion about the lettering being backwards. When they were done I ran the picture under the hot water tap in our classroom sink (I warned our custodian ahead of time) and the water made the ink run and bleed. When the pictures dried it looked like you were looking through a purple fog and then kids loved it! The custodians were ok with it and I told them to just leave the sink until we were done. The sink always cleaned up well. I had enough ditto masters to finish out my teaching career!

Karen

• Like 29

10 minutes ago, highscar said:

I had an experience flying home from San Diego yesterday.  A first for me probably many travelers have seen it. I saw a tornado below.  Fascinating.  

That's interesting.  Do you remember the area where you saw the tornado?

• Like 12

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for that info.  I just looked up the NCL Getaway on the webcam.  It looks cold!  BTW, @kochleffel's name is Paul so I would think a male.  

@GTVCRUISERthat's a beautiful photo.  Do you take all the photos of San Diego you post?  I would think so since you live there, but you have to get up awfully early for the sunrises.

I take most of the San Diego photos 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

I learned to type (not very well) on a manual machine.  I do remeber how to center a title.  It was a clever trick, but not nearly as easy as clicking on an icon.

WordCenter.jpg.655e984a0159e163eea863660bcefdbe.jpg

Dailyites, please help me out a bit.  I've lived a sheltered life and, so, I have learned a lot on these threads.  For example, I had never heard of that "Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" thing until I started following these threads.  Today it appears to be "Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit."  Why has it changed?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, GTVCRUISER said:

I take most of the San Diego photos 

They are excellent!  Great job.

28 minutes ago, superoma said:

Roy just posted that they have told him he could be discharged around 4. Someone from the email chain is making arrangements to get him home.

Oh good.  I hope Roy or you can report back to us so we can be assured he's settled in.  I can still handle tomorrow morning's Daily and lists if he's okay with that.  It would give him time to rest.  

From @XBGuy:   "Dailyites, please help me out a bit.  I've lived a sheltered life and, so, I have learned a lot on these threads.  For example, I had never heard of that "Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" thing until I started following these threads.  Today it appears to be "Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit."  Why has it changed?"

From Wikipedia:  "Rabbit rabbit rabbit" is a superstition found in Britain and North America wherein a person says or repeats the words "rabbit", "rabbits" and/or "white rabbits" aloud upon waking on the first day of a month, to ensure good luck for the rest of it.

Waiting to hear how Jacqui's day went today.  🤞

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Marcia,

Enjoy your cruise.  We are just going to miss each other in Miami.  I will arrive there on Feb. 6 for our cruise on Feb. 7.  I looked to see if we are in any of the ports together, but we are not.  Someday we will meet.

Bon Voyage!

Terri

Someday. 😉

• Like 9

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Freedom should be celebrated. I agree with No Politics for many occasions and gatherings. I'd like to think I'm a spunky "old" broad! Good quote. I'll pass on the meal (not a fish person). The drink is not a martini, only in a martini glass, but looks good. Yes to the wine, but can't afford it.

I haven't been to Pisco.

It's a balmy 19F here (started at 10 earlier) and sunny. I got a good night's sleep, 9 hours, yay. I figured out that because of bad bursitis in my one hip, I've been trying to sleep on the other side, and just lay there for a couple of hours. Then I relent and turn on the bad side, and I fall asleep. Eyes are slowly looking better; I don't think I'll scare anyone when I go out later. Today is injection day. Then I'm running off to help BFF go through his DD DF's things; he was quite the packrat. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up and our lists. Good to hear that Rudy's surgery was successful. Thanks for the photos from General San Martin. I was a good typist and did term papers for people - I sure do remember using carbon paper.

@RedneckBob Safe travels home.

@aliaschief Beautiful sunrise!

@ottahand7 Thanks for the Pisco photos. Enjoy Paradise Bay.

@kazu Prayers for a good report on the x-rays. 

@NextOne Happy Heavenly Birthday to DH.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana has a GI bug. Also antibiotics can cause GI issues (C.diff). If it persists her doctor may want a specimen for the lab. 

@grapau27 I'm happy to hear that Sarah wants to go out and is feeling good.

@rafinmd I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble breathing and back issues. Good that you're up in a chair. Good news on the passport too; mine will be here Friday. Woohoo on getting discharged later. I wish I lived closer so I could offer to help you out.

@dfish I've been waking up congested, and think it's the CPAP, even though I use humidification. Once I'm up and about I'm ok. 

@kochleffel Bon Voyage, Paul!

@Cruzin Terri I hope the HVAC install goes smoothly. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the great photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well if you can!

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Freedom should be celebrated. I agree with No Politics for many occasions and gatherings. I'd like to think I'm a spunky "old" broad! Good quote. I'll pass on the meal (not a fish person). The drink is not a martini, only in a martini glass, but looks good. Yes to the wine, but can't afford it.

I haven't been to Pisco.

It's a balmy 19F here (started at 10 earlier) and sunny. I got a good night's sleep, 9 hours, yay. I figured out that because of bad bursitis in my one hip, I've been trying to sleep on the other side, and just lay there for a couple of hours. Then I relent and turn on the bad side, and I fall asleep. Eyes are slowly looking better; I don't think I'll scare anyone when I go out later. Today is injection day. Then I'm running off to help BFF go through his DD DF's things; he was quite the packrat. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up and our lists. Good to hear that Rudy's surgery was successful. Thanks for the photos from General San Martin. I was a good typist and did term papers for people - I sure do remember using carbon paper.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana has a GI bug. Also antibiotics can cause GI issues (C.diff). If it persists her doctor may want a specimen for the lab. 

@rafinmd I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble breathing and back issues. Good that you're up in a chair. Good news on the passport too; mine will be here Friday. Woohoo on getting discharged later. I wish I lived closer so I could offer to help you out.

@dfish I've been waking up congested, and think it's the CPAP, even though I use humidification. Once I'm up and about I'm ok. 

Stay well if you can!

Thanks JazzyV but we just got as far as Houston to attend our grandson’s wedding. Since this is our first grand child to get married I had a hard time checking my bag with the shotgun. 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon.  Not much going on around here today.  Even thought it is still about 30-32F, the rain has melted the ice and sleet on the road and some of the more open driveways.  We still haven't set foot outside the house today.  I have seen a few cars passing the house, but not many.

We heard from the DDs, and they are doing all right, but both have lost power.  This time it's not the grid, but a lot of ice causing trees and limbs to fall on power lines.  While the weather here is miserable, we are still in a lot better shape since we have power.  Younger DD said it was safe to drive, so they can go get hot food and charge all their electronics.  From the pictures  I've seen of Austin and Abilene, it will take time to get the power restored.  Ice causes a lot more damage to power lines than snow.   I hope Joy, @Seasick Sailor who is north of Austin hasn't lost power.

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I haven't been to Pisco.

Stay well if you can!

Vanessa, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep and figured out part of the problem.  I'm also glad your eyes are looking better.  I don't envy you and your BFF going through his father's things.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for all your amazing photos Lenda.

Graham.

Graham, as usual, thank  you for your kind words.

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Good morning from Auckland, NZ. It is overcast here and has been raining a lot. We will have to see how the day goes.

This is the view from my verandah

20230202_065710.thumb.jpg.7b42d2c5c25187ce24cbac228ff480ed.jpg

Other views of Auckland from the ship

20230202_065215.thumb.jpg.d902b45d79bf0d43cd33b2eb19c123fc.jpg

20230202_065132.thumb.jpg.4766df69002d4534060f389ce802b2de.jpg

20230202_065108.thumb.jpg.6cad898ded7b5819d03cf488f29b9769.jpg

20230202_065103.thumb.jpg.a6497ed06a70ca6a60f02ded017108bc.jpg

20230202_065045.thumb.jpg.85e23c2660cf370e91375f636d1d178c.jpg

20230202_065027.thumb.jpg.403185e2fa1c508f60aea453c30efe2c.jpg

20230202_064940.thumb.jpg.487667f69ed40ab16aa58bcdd3774ece.jpg

20230202_064934.thumb.jpg.6a35c87bd5fc028ceeea8cfee78169f8.jpg

Rich, I'm glad the ship made it to Auckland, and thanks for the pictures.  It's been a long time since we were there.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm all for freedom and no politics (wish it was every day) and I didn't wait until I was old to become spunky.  I've been called spunky and feisty all my life. 😂 I don't know if it's a "3rd daughter" thing, but I definitely got the feisty genes in the family.   I'll pass on the meal, drink and red wine, have never been to this port -- thanks for all the photos!  

Posting a little late today, because I slept well!  Almost 11 hours in fact!  Made up for the night before.  Interesting sleep conversation yesterday.  I did wake up often, but always got right back to sleep.  I call that a good night.  Vanessa @JazzyVI'm glad to hear that you slept well too.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI sure do remember carbon paper.  I was a secretary in the late 60's and was a good typist (120 words/minute) but like everyone, I made a few mistakes 😉  What an ordeal!

Roy @rafinmdI'm sorry you had a bad night last night but delighted to hear that you will be discharged tonight!  We're all doing a happy dance for you!

Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry to hear that Tana has a GI bug -- hoping it's short-lived.  I wonder too if it's from the antibiotics -- a common problem.  Whatever is causing it, I hope it will be over soon.

Carolyn, I'm happy that you also got a good night's sleep.

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Heading in to see DH in a bit and get caught up with therapists, etc. He did well yesterday and his vocabulary and feistiness is definitely returning. He transferred from the bed to the wheelchair unassisted but needed help getting back. I'll take it! 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad  your DH is still making good progress. I hope he is able to come home soon.

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Roy just posted that they have told him he could be discharged around 4. Someone from the email chain is making arrangements to get him home.

Eva, thanks for passing along Roy's news.  Hopefully, he is home now, and able to rest.  It was good to know that a friend was picking him up.

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures of General San Martin today.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, we're ok so far on electric. Our bird feeders are frozen solid, so we decided to put seed along our pony wall. I was heartbroken with all the sweet birds trying to break through the ice.

Good news.  Sorry about the bird feeders.

Lenda

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

DH got good news about the polyps, they were benign.

Thank God 🙏🏻 Good news, indeed 👍 

9 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

image.png.266c11bd79c0acb5779409be0c5c88fb.png

that is TOO funny 🙂 

8 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I have to start packing for my cruise. I fly to Miami on Saturday.

Yay - Have fun packing and a great time on board 🙂. Ugh on that early morning drive.  Poor you and your DH at that time of the early morning 😬 

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

my neighbor Rudy had 5 X bypass surgery yesterday.  Would that be quintuple bypass?  Anyway his DW says he hopes to be home by the weekend.  Cheers for Rudy! 

Wow!  Hope he returns home as planned and has an easy recovery

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

Our bags are packed.  Always a challenge to get my husband to just take a carry on.   Not sure he needs 5 pairs of long pants,  7 pairs of shorts and 12 button up shirts for an 11 day cruise but I managed to get it all to fit. (I roll.) We fly to FL tomorrow!

Have a great trip and very safe travels.

OK, we need to talk in October if not sooner.  How the heck do you get all that in a carry on?  And how do you roll without wrinkling shirts?

And my biggest question - how do you get the needed liquids for a cruise of 2 - 3 weeks in those little quart size bags?  I’ve been trying to figure that one out for a while 😉 

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I am feeling better now.  Like @JazzyV Vanessa, I think the CPAP causes some of the congestion when I first get up.  Today was just worse than usual.  Some days I'm like that all day long and then just fine the next day.  I am cleaning out the humidifier reservoir with white vinegar and I'll use a clean mask and hose tonight.   

Glad you are feeling better.  Interesting on the CPAP.  Hope that is all the issue is for both of you and it can be fixed 🤞 

8 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning all.

Today is replace HVAC day.  Shell out more money day. Just got another bill from the Contractor day. Credit Card is due in a few days.

I think I am going to have to rob a bank soon to pay for all this.  

Maybe we could join forces if you can use a one armed bandit?  You can pay for your home stuff and me my hospital bills 😂 Kidding, a retired banker shouldn’t joke about robbing a bank 😉 

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Oh, and my passport has been shipped.

Roy 

YAY 🙂.  Now to get well and make use of it.  🤞 

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like I leave tonight.

Roy 

Great news and so glad to hear that you are now home 👍 Rest and take care of yourself please.  Hope someone will be around to give you a hand here and there 🙏🏻 

4 hours ago, highscar said:

I had an experience flying home from San Diego yesterday.  A first for me probably many travelers have seen it. I saw a tornado below.  Fascinating.  

Wow!  that must have been something!

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@bennybear I'm feeling much better today. Thank you..Swollen and a black and blue jaw but it doesn't hurt. Much 😉

Good to hear.  Hopefully it doesn’t hurt at all tomorrow 🤞 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I'm home from the dentist and wondering what I can eat tonight for dinner. They said "soft foods for a couple days" hmmm....  He said the lump inside my lip looked non cancerous, not to worry (but they're sending it in for a biopsy of course).  That and the filling on a back molar was pretty much a breeze -- will see if I still say that once the numbness wears off. 😉  

• Like 17

Good evening. I'm back from BFF DF's house. Oh my. There is so much stuff! He loved to take photos and there are probably 100 boxes with full carousels, thousands of photos, loads of photo paper, 4 old computers, printers, etc. It will take a long time to go through everything.

@dfish The sucky thing is an incentive spirometer.

@Crazy For Cats Good news on DH's polyps.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the additional photos, particularly the Nazca lines, which I wasn't familiar with. Sorry to hear the DDs lost power; I hope it's on soon.

@aliaschief I'm jealous!

@HAL4NOW Nice photos.

@luvteaching Good to hear that DH is doing much better.

@highscar Wow, that must have been a sight seeing a tornado.

@RedneckBob Enjoy the wedding!

@rafinmd Great that you're home. Take it easy and rest; it may take a bit of time to feel stronger.

@Seasick Sailor Ice is the worst. I'm glad you have power.

@Cruising-along I'm glad the dentist appointment went well. Soup, mashed potatoes, oatmeal?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:
Discharge process was a Zoo, but I finally got home a little before 4.  Very weal and tired.

Roy

Mazal tov! Once I had a confused discharge where a resident was trying to speed it up, but my nurse was trying to slow it down, because she knew that I needed to receive one more dose of medication by IV and to be off oxygen for 30 minutes. Also, the resident didn’t yet have a narcotics registration so needed to find an attending to order Vicodin for me.

• Like 15