Are the itineraries interesting?

HappyInVan

I've never cruised the old Crystal. So, what do you guys say? Are the itineraries worth the bother?

Seems to me that the initial cruises are meh. There's a New England cruise that departs Quebec City and bypasses Atlantic Canada altogether! 

• Like 2

Yes, the New England/Canada cruises just go to the usual ports and not to the more intriguing, smaller stops.  There are possibly two reasons for this.  First, Crystal may have had to scramble to put up itineraries and perhaps it was easier to go for the big, usual ports (although I may be giving them too much leeway with this "excuse").  Secondly, they are using Serenity, the larger of the ships, and it may not be able to access some of the more interesting/smaller ports.  Additionally, Serenity is too large to go through to Montreal, while Symphony is able. 

And while we're at it, the Alaska itineraries suffer from this same malady, and possibly for the same reasons as above.

• Thanks 2

I have been a loyal Crystal Cruises customer for a while…However…

I think it is entirely premature to know exactly what the new Crystal will deliver at this point.  Obviously, some of us are hoping that the experience would be as good or better than how it was, but that is at best wishful thinking and speculation.

It is somewhat meaningless to evaluate this new cruise line (and yes, this is really a new cruise line…it just happens to use two of the ships and some of the branding concepts from the old company) until we see them actually do a few cruises.

Obviously, itinerary is an important element of any cruise, or at least that’s what we think.  My preliminary quick look of the proposed itinerary appears to be something ships like Crystal Symphony and Serenity would do.  There’s nothing all that unusual, but that has always been the case with the bigger ships on the old Crystal Cruises.

My sincere hope that the new Crystal will over-perform the lofty expectations set by their loyal customers and the company itself.  But I am personally waiting until next year at the earliest to really think about cruising with the new Crystal.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I have been a loyal Crystal Cruises customer for a while…However…

I think it is entirely premature to know exactly what the new Crystal will deliver at this point.  Obviously, some of us are hoping that the experience would be as good or better than how it was, but that is at best wishful thinking and speculation.

It is somewhat meaningless to evaluate this new cruise line (and yes, this is really a new cruise line…it just happens to use two of the ships and some of the branding concepts from the old company) until we see them actually do a few cruises.

Obviously, itinerary is an important element of any cruise, or at least that’s what we think.  My preliminary quick look of the proposed itinerary appears to be something ships like Crystal Symphony and Serenity would do.  There’s nothing all that unusual, but that has always been the case with the bigger ships on the old Crystal Cruises.

My sincere hope that the new Crystal will over-perform the lofty expectations set by their loyal customers and the company itself.  But I am personally waiting until next year at the earliest to really think about cruising with the new Crystal.

Very wise of you.

• Like 2

I posted my thoughts somewhere on here when I first viewed the itineraries.  Been there, done that and an exact repeat of ports on current itineraries from past itineraries.

I can see why.  Easier to start with what they know.  They have the contacts, port agents, DMCs for shorex, etc.  I pick itineraries first, cruiseline second.  There is not one itinerary that interests me and as such I am not booking anything ATM.  Perhaps something on the WC when we find more about that but as I would do that as a single that will probably not work as I refuse to be relegated to the least desirable cabins on the ship in the worst location.  

I am also going to wait for reviews of what Crystal is.  There is a lot of magical thinking going on and a lot of hope that things will be as they were before Genting/Crystal went bust.  They would have to hire everybody back from the incredible deck staff to the wonderful maitre’d to the same culinary team, etc.  The entire hospitality industry is challenged with staffing.  I have stayed in contact with 2 staff and they are not returning.  Even if 1/2 return then 1/2 will be new.  

Hopefully new ports and itineraries for those lucky enough to be well traveled and want new experiences.  Hopefully Crystal will step up to the plate with everything they we loved about defunct Crystal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I posted my thoughts somewhere on here when I first viewed the itineraries.  Been there, done that and an exact repeat of ports on current itineraries from past itineraries.

I can see why.  Easier to start with what they know.  They have the contacts, port agents, DMCs for shorex, etc.  I pick itineraries first, cruiseline second.  There is not one itinerary that interests me and as such I am not booking anything ATM.  Perhaps something on the WC when we find more about that but as I would do that as a single that will probably not work as I refuse to be relegated to the least desirable cabins on the ship in the worst location.  

I am also going to wait for reviews of what Crystal is.  There is a lot of magical thinking going on and a lot of hope that things will be as they were before Genting/Crystal went bust.  They would have to hire everybody back from the incredible deck staff to the wonderful maitre’d to the same culinary team, etc.  The entire hospitality industry is challenged with staffing.  I have stayed in contact with 2 staff and they are not returning.  Even if 1/2 return then 1/2 will be new.  

Hopefully new ports and itineraries for those lucky enough to be well traveled and want new experiences.  Hopefully Crystal will step up to the plate with everything they we loved about defunct Crystal.

Wise words and a good post and without rose tinted spectacles.

Wait and see is the best approach most of us can take in the situation  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Wise words and a good post and without rose tinted spectacles.

Wait and see is the best approach most of us can take in the situation  

Yes I also agree with all this for sure. I'm excited to see the ships roll out with similar amenities and some improvements to spaces. It's fun to discuss and speculate - a welcome change from memories and pep talks. But I'll wait for some more details. 

I can only book a few months in advance for any trip and that's always worked fine for me. I'm not too worried about itineraries right now. I suspect some might change a bit anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gimlet Eyes Logan said:

I haven't seen the port of Suez listed before. Also Rostock Germany, although that's probably Warnemünde.

Yes Rostock and Warnemunde  is the same 

Suez usually is a technical stop  -  not the safest place at all ...I was told 

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

As I recall, that was typical with the "old" Crystal.

Patty

Maybe it just shows that for many Crystal guests, the ship experience is more important than the destinations? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I've never cruised the old Crystal. So, what do you guys say? Are the itineraries worth the bother?

Seems to me that the initial cruises are meh. There's a New England cruise that departs Quebec City and bypasses Atlantic Canada altogether! 

Everyone has opinions when it comes to itineraries. This is why in the end you have to decide which one(s) are appealing to you.

There are some which years ago would have been very appealing which no longer are whereas there are some that these days are appealing to me which years ago were less appealing.

If it's a place we enjoy and want to spend more time in I appreciate the longer stays including overnights.

One of many examples is the second voyage for Serenity from Lisbon to Southampton as it includes a couple of nights in Bordeaux.

Having done a lot of travel my wife and I look at the itinerary coupled with the cruise experience. We also factor in where the ship embarks including ease to get there and the city since we like to arrive a few days early and where the cruise ends whether that is the city again or simply the ease of getting home.

Keith

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Everyone has opinions when it comes to itineraries. This is why in the end you have to decide which one(s) are appealing to you.

There are some which years ago would have been very appealing which no longer are whereas there are some that these days are appealing to me which years ago were less appealing.

If it's a place we enjoy and want to spend more time in I appreciate the longer stays including overnights.

One of many examples is the second voyage for Serenity from Lisbon to Southampton as it includes a couple of nights in Bordeaux.

Having done a lot of travel my wife and I look at the itinerary coupled with the cruise experience. We also factor in where the ship embarks including ease to get there and the city since we like to arrive a few days early and where the cruise ends whether that is the city again or simply the ease of getting home.

Keith

We share a very similar sentiment. The Lisbon to Southampton itinerary is amazing. We were booked on a very similar sailing for September 2022 (11 nights) .. Our OV cabin was $3,300 USD.. We would love to re book it, but unfortunately it is $5,600 now (with 1 night less)..

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Bordeaux is together with my hometown  and the oldest docking places in that city St P in that country R 😝 one of the only places where a ship can dock right in the middle of the town.

Unfortunately a ship in Bordeaux is linked in full by the tides - what in Antwerp is only for the swing.

Personnaly I find that the security had to be improved in Bordeaux  

I like to go and shop in Bordeaux  and have a look to the most expensive wines in a store built around a spiral staircase - the higher the most expensive ...

also some great eateries  "brasseries " for a lunch ashore - not too expensive 

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes, of course. I'm hoping to hear from the veteran Crystal pax.

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We share a very similar sentiment. The Lisbon to Southampton itinerary is amazing. We were booked on a very similar sailing for September 2022 (11 nights) .. Our OV cabin was $3,300 USD.. We would love to re book it, but unfortunately it is $5,600 now (with 1 night less)..

I did that one many years ago and it was wonderful.   I had been to about 1/2 the ports and discovered new places and have spent weeks in Bordeaux and the surrounding area as there is so much to do.  There was not a port I did not like on that itinerary.

We paid the $500 upfront deposit and got a $500 OBC also, but really looking at the itneraries nothing stands out as something I would want to waste my time on.  Also, I cannot find ANYTHING on whats included on their webpage.  I assume all restaurants, drinks, and gratuities, but I see nothing on air options or tours.

• Like 3

We also paid the $500. Many cruises are in Asia.  We’ve already booked that on SS for late 2023 and don’t want to do 2 trips within a year.  Not interested in Alaska or NE.  So not too excited.  We really want to do Crystal but won’t cruise if the itinerary isn’t interesting.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, vistaman said:

Bordeaux is together with my hometown  and the oldest docking places in that city St P in that country R 😝 one of the only places where a ship can dock right in the middle of the town.

Unfortunately a ship in Bordeaux is linked in full by the tides - what in Antwerp is only for the swing.

Personnaly I find that the security had to be improved in Bordeaux  

I like to go and shop in Bordeaux  and have a look to the most expensive wines in a store built around a spiral staircase - the higher the most expensive ...

also some great eateries  "brasseries " for a lunch ashore - not too expensive 

I have wonderful memories of our time in Bordeaux and also visiting chateau's on another visit.  There is so much to enjoy in this region.  

Question.  Are you saying there is a security issue or that they have addressed it?

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I have wonderful memories of our time in Bordeaux and also visiting chateau's on another visit.  There is so much to enjoy in this region.  

Question.  Are you saying there is a security issue or that they have addressed it?

Keith

This region of France is best explored on a land based vacation and not the odd day or two from a cruise ship.

You would miss so much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

This region of France is best explored on a land based vacation and not the odd day or two from a cruise ship.

You would miss so much.

We know and the same is true for places such as Italy.  However, at the end of the day we are very happy and that is what is most important.  We are pretty seasoned travelers and I had the opportunity when I worked to travel very extensively both inside and outside the USA. 

Happiness is number 1 in my book.

Keith