Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I can place a $200 deposit on a cruise that I think is interesting on Next Cruise. If the original price is too high but close to my budget, I can hope for a price decrease during the following year. If not, I would do exactly what you stated and just walk away from a $200 loss and call it a day. 

Again some parts of the globe don't get price drops. The price you buy at maybe 2 years before the cruise is the price you pay.  Though with cruise ships sailing full these days prices don't seem to be dropping. Our next cruise is now more than twice what we paid and almost full

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I will say the cost of the caribbean cruises i’ve been looking at seem to have gone up by a couple of 100. As a solo traveller i will definitely being looking at solo deals on other lines. I will have to be agnostic and go where the deals are.

That's why I pushed pts last year to 340. They say dont chase pts. I did b2b2b2b on grandeur at a good price so Sept I'd hit the solo discount.  It helps a lot. Its lik 25% the total cruisefare. 50% off 2nd pax. It really helps. 

• Like 2

I don’t know if i’ll ever go on that many cruises to get that! Just to add if you are comparing a land vacation to a cruise be sure you are honest about the cost of food. Food is sure expensive. I think most people don’t budget on their vacation, they just spend so they don’t really know how much they spend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

That's why I pushed pts last year to 340. They say dont chase pts. I did b2b2b2b on grandeur at a good price so Sept I'd hit the solo discount.  It helps a lot. Its lik 25% the total cruisefare. 50% off 2nd pax. It really helps. 

Does 340 points change the price on a cruise for 2?

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No, it's a discount only for solo cruisers. It does get you upgraded toiletries and another amenity.  Saves me having to pack liquids and fly. 

Well that's too bad. We are only 6 away but my wife doesn't think it's worth it to add a cruise to get to 340. We have TA and a B3B scheduled. I would book a cruise just to get the 2nd bottle of wine on those, but the math doesn't work.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Well that's too bad. We are only 6 away but my wife doesn't think it's worth it to add a cruise to get to 340. We have TA and a B3B scheduled. I would book a cruise just to get the 2nd bottle of wine on those, but the math doesn't work.

Toiletries were ok imo. Not something to push for but better than dispensers. Might also add cheers with a officer, but my steak was not good. ..a lady across from me after 4 or 5 glasses of wine didnt care. ..but I think it's at 340 pts. If rcl does another cruise with almost no solo supplement do like @John&LaLaand each get their own cabin. Extra loyalty pt too. 

20221205_091701.jpg

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I must be cheap but I wouldnt willingly walk away from a $200 deposit. If I wasnt ok with the price, I wouldn't book at all. .. but I dont book thru next cruise either. I'm doing refundable group rates.

Everyone has their own special techniques and style on cruise reservations and costs.

There is a HUGE contingent of cruisers who use refundable cruise rates. You are not cheap. This is YOUR style of payment.

To date, I have never had to walk away from my deposits and I have consistently booked prices that were much less than what was required 90 days out (most of them less than 50% of 90 day price payment).

Because of those past savings, I can roll the dice and not fear losing one or two. It also means I am not tying in any insurance or major money until 90 days out.

Should I or my wife have a medical emergency or other major problem up to 90 days out, I lose the $200 which would have been the cost of insurance. Very few insurance policies make you whole, they just mitigate damages. I would call it my deductible or co-pay.

Again, the money I have saved on so many cruises using non-refundable deposits fares will pay for many $200 possible losses which have not happened yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Everyone has their own special techniques and style on cruise reservations and costs.

There is a HUGE contingent of cruisers who use refundable cruise rates. You are not cheap. This is YOUR style of payment.

To date, I have never had to walk away from my deposits and I have consistently booked prices that were much less than what was required 90 days out (most of them less than 50% of 90 day price payment).

Because of those past savings, I can roll the dice and not fear losing one or two. It also means I am not tying in any insurance or major money until 90 days out.

Should I or my wife have a medical emergency or other major problem up to 90 days out, I lose the $200 which would have been the cost of insurance. Very few insurance policies make you whole, they just mitigate damages. I would call it my deductible or co-pay.

Again, the money I have saved on so many cruises using non-refundable deposits fares will pay for many $200 possible losses which have not happened yet.

I'm ok self-insuring for things like lost deposits, and even sometimes ok with losing the whole cruise fare. But I get worried about out-of-country medical expenses. 

Everyone in my travel party is under the age of 45 and have zero medical issues, but it still worries me. That's why I'm supplementing my credit card's travel insurance with a third-party policy for our next trip, because I'm worried about the fact that the credit card policy only has $2500 of medical coverage, and $100,000 medical evacuation. Private third-party policies give you like $250,000 medical and $1mil evac. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I'm ok self-insuring for things like lost deposits, and even sometimes ok with losing the whole cruise fare. But I get worried about out-of-country medical expenses. 

Everyone in my travel party is under the age of 45 and have zero medical issues, but it still worries me. That's why I'm supplementing my credit card's travel insurance with a third-party policy for our next trip, because I'm worried about the fact that the credit card policy only has $2500 of medical coverage, and $100,000 medical evacuation. Private third-party policies give you like $250,000 medical and $1mil evac. 

I am not advocating traveling without reasonable insurance.

MOST insurances want you to sign within 14 days of booking a deposit if you want pre-existing conditions covered.

Some will insure you up to the point of final payment 90 days out. I get to keep that money in my pocket until 90 days out. If it is 100 days out and I cannot make the cruise, I am only out $200.  Within 90 days, when the probability of me missing the cruise is low, I have insurance, and I make my final deposit.

It was not my intent to make this post about insurance, which is another component of cruise planning.

I am currently on a Princess cruise.  The dining room food, Horizon Court (buffet), Pizza and included outdoor grill food is so much better than I had on my few recent Royal Caribbean cruises.

The internet is much faster and way less expensive.
I am glad that I took a break from Royal Caribbean 

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:41 PM, firefly333 said:

Toiletries were ok imo. Not something to push for but better than dispensers. Might also add cheers with a officer, but my steak was not good. ..a lady across from me after 4 or 5 glasses of wine didnt care. ..but I think it's at 340 pts. If rcl does another cruise with almost no solo supplement do like @John&LaLaand each get their own cabin. Extra loyalty pt too. 

20221205_091701.jpg

Interesting toiletry combo.....guess they're using up old stock. Salt&Breeze are the newest, Bodyography was before them and the shampoo that says Claify has been around for awhile. 

2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Interesting toiletry combo.....guess they're using up old stock. Salt&Breeze are the newest, Bodyography was before them and the shampoo that says Claify has been around for awhile. 

I got some similar mix and match on grandeur... this was allure last dec. At least they have something I can use. I'm flying to miami next time.  I know JS and above it's now on the wall, so only for below JS.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:26 PM, rjrpar said:

I just booked the Anthem for next January, a balcony for two for 11 nights. Total cost is $2800.  I think values are out there, you just have to look and be patient.

Mock booking on that cruise shows as 2250 or so now,  2D or 4D for 2. Just room and taxes/fees for 2 (1125 PP). Through one of the online TA's using this sites find a cruise. Not sure what category you have or if you can get the price drop.

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Cabin attendants go cabin to cabin on turn around day and gather unopened toiletries. They put them in D and D+ non-suite cabins. 

17 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Cabin attendants go cabin to cabin on turn around day and gather unopened toiletries. They put them in D and D+ non-suite cabins. 

Lol 340 pts amenity.  Hahahaha.  Gotta earn those. Not for lowly barely D+ and diamond.  

I did leave my unopened waters behind. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol 340 pts amenity.  Hahahaha.  Gotta earn those. Not for lowly barely D+ and diamond.  

I did leave my unopened waters behind. 

Nope. We get them every time. We were leaving a ship late one day so took time to walk the suites and larger cabins. Cabin stewarts with bags collecting toiletries were in them also.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Nope. We get them every time. We were leaving a ship late one day so took time to walk the suites and larger cabins. Cabin stewarts with bags collecting toiletries were in them also.

Fred,

Another 340 perk that you may like is "Cheers with the Officers". Nice lunch menu...wine included. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Fred,

Another 340 perk that you may like is "Cheers with the Officers". Nice lunch menu...wine included. :classic_smile:

I went the first leg of b2b. They forgot about our table. People seated later were on their dessert. Finally came after a hour. Not sure the cut of meat but every bite was all grizzle.  Couldnt eat it. Lady next to me said her fish was dry. The appetizer and dessert not worth going. .. maybe if you are a wine drinker. It wasnt a good cut like Mdr strip. Big but not good. I didnt go 2nd leg. Wasnt good. Allure.

Idk but I heard pinnacles have a better menu. 

• Like 2