Bar Harbor

BND

Just got notified that our b2b on Jewel starting Oct 20 will not be going to Bar Harbor on either leg, but we'll go to Boston instead.  I thought the limits weren't going into effect until 2024.  

13 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We went to Bar Harbor a couple of years ago. We won't miss it going off the schedule.

Yes, I think I'd prefer Boston.

I was looking at a Northern cruise from Baltimore in Summer 2024.  I would like to go, but am unsure as it looks like they only have one cruise and it might conflict with school.

We did a r/t sailing out of Boston and loved Bar Harbor. It was our favorite port on the cruise. Acadia National Park was beautiful, especially in October (same time we were there). Boston is a great city to spend some time in before or after the cruise.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, BND said:

Just got notified that our b2b on Jewel starting Oct 20 will not be going to Bar Harbor on either leg, but we'll go to Boston instead.  I thought the limits weren't going into effect until 2024.  

Bummer. We prefer Bar Harbor over Boston. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Mmmm...."lobsta".  😉  

Though our cruise to Ba Haba is on the little water taxi from where we will once again be staying this summer in Winter Harbor.   The Lobster are nervous...Bucky has pot, not afraid to use it.  

No Dave...not "that" kind of pot.  😄 

image.jpeg.67b94b0cf439dd7f7940661c3975b058.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Mmmm...."lobsta".  😉  

Though our cruise to Ba Haba is on the little water taxi from where we will once again be staying this summer in Winter Harbor.   The Lobster are nervous...Bucky has pot, not afraid to use it.  

No Dave...not "that" kind of pot.  😄 

You read me like a book. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Our one time in BH, we went to Acadia on Ollies Trolley and then came back and walked to a local restaurant and had blueberry pie for dessert (yum).  I can't eat shellfish so no "lobstah" for us.  Boston we've been to years ago with friends when we lived in RI for a few months and saw all the major sights and then we were there about 4 years ago on Anthem and did a tour and had lunch at Faneuil Hall.  Nothing really for us to see there that we haven't already.   I just love how quaint BH is.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

All of the cruises we've taken that had Bar Harbor on the itinerary either started or finished in Boston, giving us ample opportunity to see the city. We'll miss visiting, at least on cruises, but I can understand why Bar Harbor, like Venice and other ports, has decided to implement limits. 

i think a bigger issue is the logistics with tendering

I have done a few cruises that went to Bar Harbor and i noticed depending on the ship they run two different kinds of tendering services:

1) Ship does their own tendering operations using the ship staff and ship life boats

or 2) they will contract out the tendering to the local tour company's that do those whale watching/glass bottom boat/sightseeing tours

if those tour company say no, they can not provide tendering service like that used to and the ship does not have those tender life boats then unfortunately that ship can not tender to a port thus canceling the port 

37 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Bar Harbor is still on our September Vision cruise.  We usually stay on the ship.

Mine still shows on my upcoming cruises on the website, but as I said we got an email notification.  Others on Jewel on the 9 Oct cruise (one before our b2b) also got it.  I expect we'll see more.

1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

Missing Bar Harbor will be a drag. It is such a quaint town and so easy to explore and then there is Acadia National Park.

And, as some have already said, the Lobsta is to die for.

Cheers

Len

Same here. It was probably our favorite port on our New England cruise.

43 minutes ago, Ashland said:

It's still on our 9 night Canada NE itinerary for Oct 5th onboard Liberty out of Cape Liberty.

Our Celebrity cruise still stops at Bar Harbor on 9 Sep 2023.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it changed and stopped at Portland instead.  We wouldn't have to mess with tenders, and Portland has some nice brew pubs.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Our Celebrity cruise still stops at Bar Harbor on 9 Sep 2023.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it changed and stopped at Portland instead.  We wouldn't have to mess with tenders, and Portland has some nice brew pubs.  

Portland is already on our itinerary.

The Bar Harbor Inn, (which we have also stayed at for anniversary) is our go to place for lunch.  Outside dining on the patio, (look for large yellow umbrellas) is wonderful.  Great view, good food.  

From the restaurant there is an interesting walking trail along the seashore, which leads back into town.  

• Like 1