The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

It does not look like we are going to disembark Koningsdam soon in Lahaina. The captain essentially said the very important person port agent is not allowing us to disembark on the tenders due to some power outage. The captain called the Coast Guard and the Coast Guard said they were able to communicate with the shore. The captain appealed to the Coast Guard to talk with the port agent. Right now we are just in a waiting game. The captain even said this is ridiculous.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.

Not many comments on today’s quote.  Please allow me to put on my English teacher hat… Some books have been repeatedly banned or challenged throughout history. These books appear the most often on banned books lists. Have you read any of them?
1984 by George Orwell

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

6D673741-C1F7-461A-AC9C-F6263B56200F.thumb.png.7fa8dc9da4f2e9cdb00f7823aa14861e.png

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Just a quick post on fridges...we have almond kitchen appliances & the color is getting difficult to find.  Our fridge is 36 years old.  Found one at Lowes so we now have a back-up in the garage.

All of us must remember the appliance color schemes over the years!  My parents did a reno on their kitchen in 1965 and got copper color appliances.  This is not their kitchen but this photo is a good representation.Kitchen%20-%20Inglewood.jpg

In the 1970's our first home had avocado green appliances and the second had harvest gold. We stayed with harvest gold in the third home in the late 70's-early 80's but the 1983 house had almond appliances.  I kept that scheme in the next one, a1989 house.  I sent that almond refrigerator to a family member in 1996 and had black appliances with wood panels.  Same with the 2004 house but I finally went to stainless steel in 2011. I guess they have something called black stainless now but I don't see it on the reno shows on HGTV much.

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It does not look like we are going to disembark Koningsdam soon in Lahaina. The captain essentially said the very important person port agent is not allowing us to disembark on the tenders due to some power outage. The captain called the Coast Guard and the Coast Guard said they were able to communicate with the shore. The captain appealed to the Coast Guard to talk with the port agent. Right now we are just in a waiting game. The captain even said this is ridiculous.

Oh my, Joy!  I hope this is fixed quickly for you guys.  Come on Coast Guard!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In the 1970's our first home had avocado green appliances and the second had harvest gold.

In 1992 I bought a house that had an avocado green electric range and a harvest gold refrigerator, right next to each other. I replaced the range within a few months because no part of it worked well; the fridge stayed until I remodeled the kitchen. To make it worse, the range was beside a doorway (the kitchen had four doorways).

I'm planning a remodeling here that will go to all stainless steel. The appliances probably won't all be the same brand, because I have different brand preferences for different appliances. What is currently preferred on HGTV won't influence anything, since I specifically don't want an all-white kitchen or a marble backsplash and those seem to be mandatory on certain shows.

• Like 17

Wilde isn't a favorite of mine but I agree with the quotation. I wouldn't object to the meal, cocktail, or wine, but wouldn't go out of my way to get any of them.

I was at Aarhus in August on the Voyager of the Seas and visited the city center, the Moesgård Museum, and Den Gamle By.

P9030555.thumb.JPG.bcf434fff9d02d9fa498d412b7dbcde0.JPG

P9030560.thumb.JPG.9358fef35a98ffe56ccec246547d8126.JPGP9030559.thumb.JPG.15203d7498acd81c0c9b641fa9f48d1d.JPGP9030591.thumb.JPG.b15e0ed68115af9012d03b21f5e504ea.JPGP9030592.thumb.JPG.fa8ca91774c54bfa71f8f60afee4a0d4.JPGP9030595.thumb.JPG.4e370564c9485e4fb78f8dcf4e8ccc45.JPGP9030596.thumb.JPG.f4b41917262c6d041cad40ec20ce7130.JPGP9030590.thumb.JPG.ebc045f16d3b9d32074ae34fdb423ae0.JPGP9030583.thumb.JPG.96297e35699fb187777da91f6dc28899.JPG

P9030594.JPG

P9030593.JPG

P9030575.JPG

P9030573.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Everything is fine, just keeping a low profile, thanks for thinking about me. One of these days I’ll start posting again.

Weather has been beautiful here in Punta Gorda, mid 80s every day with low humidity and no rain but some snowbirds are already complaining about the heat, they should spend a summer in Florida if they want to experience some real heat not to mention high humidity. 
Celebrated my 77th birthday on Feb. 12th. Still playing Golf 3 times a week. 

Heading out on the Celebrity Reflection on April 2nd for our 70th cruise.

Hope all are doing well here at The Daily.

Welcome back. Speaking of heat and golf, it is hard to believe that in the summer I could play 27 holes a day and carry my bag everyday, walking. That was before golf carts and the Model T, well maybe the Ford Mustang. We board the Reflection next fall with a stop in Bimini. Great beaches! 

• Like 8

Think I've had it all  avocado, harvest, stainless, even a few chocolate brown tiles left in one bathroom.  For now we just keep it all timeless with white.

As far as fridges go, the main one is a side by side. Best part is the ice and water dispenser.  So quick and easy to get a glass.  I drink so much water now.  Guess I should change the filter one day, been about 5 years  

• Like 10

3 hours ago, arzz said:

Ahhh … Refrigerators and Renovations ….

First I wish to thank everyone on this thread for what a wonderful, warm, fuzzy place this is to come. I usually just lurk here but I cannot get past a day without peeking in and I am so grateful for the fellowship and support that this group demonstrates.  If only the whole world could operate in as friendly and cooperative a fashion as this group manages every day.

Now, a little background.  Late 2019 we decided to consider moving from our noisy downtown high rise to a quieter more suburban/urban environment.  By mid January 2020 we had contracted to purchase a suburban condo a block and a half from their downtown area, and within three weeks we had multiple offers on our downtown condo.  That was all before we really even heard of covid.

By the time our move in date arrived in March of 2020 we were not even certain that we could have our movers come to move us as that day the Governor of Illinois closed the state.  

We had purchased our new home confident that we would be happy there after a few renovations. But due to covid we quarantined and postponed.  Sort of like living in someone else’s home - all the walls were the wrong colors for us (e.g. our kitchen was painted vermillion).  And as we lived there we realized that changing the kitchen counters and backsplash would not deal with the cabinets (doors falling off, hinges exploding …) and many other issues.  Ultimately we would need a new kitchen.

When the vaccine arrived in 2021 we immediately had the floors replaced which was one of the jobs that we knew would have to be done.  New floors made a big difference.

Then we started work on getting a designer and arranging for a new kitchen.  After designs were finalized it took a full 9 months for the cabinets to come in (thank you covid).  Then another three months to get on the contractor’s schedule (thank covid again) and finally, late July 2022, materials were delivered and the project was to begin.  Well, the local permit office was so backed up that their delays added 8 weeks to our renovation time with similar delays by contractors, etc.  It was last week that the kitchen was essentially completed after six and a half months without a kitchen.  We drooled daily at @dfishrecipes but there was little more than take out in our daily menus.

@Cruzin Terriwe feel your pain.

The refrigerator was one of our biggest bugaboos.  The original owners of our unit had replaced their old refrigerator with a new French door LG with a bottom drawer freezer between our first viewing of our unit and our second.  If we had known that they were thinking of doing that we would have told them not to.  I really hated the bottom drawer which is where frozen food goes to hide and die.  The drawer would not stay open so when I needed to dig or rearrange anything in the bottom I needed DH to hold the drawer open.

During the kitchen design process we had picked out a GE side by side but then was steered by the designer and sales person to a Samsung refrigerator with a new design and lots of bells and whistles - sort of like a side by side, and sort of like a French door - it has four doors.  The top section has French doors, the bottom section is like a side by side with two separate doors and two separate compartments.  One side being the freezer and the other side a section that could be freezer or refrigerator.  

Since the project took so long to materialize we thought inventory issues would not figure in - but they did.  We had to replace our choice of cooktops three times due to lack of availability … and when the Samsung refrigerator finally arrived - it did not fit in the space supposedly designed for it in any way.  The Samsung door hinges were not zero clearance hinges and required space to the left and right to open doors that somehow our “designer” missed when drawing up the plans.

We had to pick a new unit from the small amount of inventory available.  We ended up with a GE side by side ironically almost identical to the unit I had originally chosen - and low and behold - not only does it have zero clearance hinges, the vegetable bins in the frig hold more than all three bins in the LG and we still have plenty of shelf and door storage space.  And the freezer is wonderful - organized and I can see everything I have stored.  So much to consider when buying appliances.  

During the refrigerator debacle there was a couple of weeks when we had three refrigerators in our home.  The Samsung has now been returned and the old fridge has been rehomed.

I realize my trials are inconsequential compared to the serious life issues that so many on this thread deal with which is probably why I have not shared before now.

But I do wish to again thank those who keep this thread going and keep alive my desire to cruise.  We are not yet ready to dip our toes into the virus ridden seas of travel.  

I also wish good thoughts and prayers to all on this thread who can use them.  You folks might not know me but I have definitely gotten to know all of you.

Welcome back.  I now understand why you were absent for a while.  I don't envy you moving and remodeling these last few years.  Enjoy your new kitchen.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've had GE appliances in the past, too.  Quite reliable as I recall.  

We started out with Whirlpool avocado appliances and kept them for several moves.  One house where we knew we'd be there for two years max, we left the coppertone appliances which didn't really go with the avocado refrigerator.  However, we changed the panel on the dishwasher which was next to the refrigerator to avocado.  By 1985, we switched to almond and had some GE appliances, the built in oven didn't work on all settings even new, so I shunned GE until the house in Quartzsite came with them.  These are good appliances, and stainless steel.  When we built the Texas house in 1999 we had black appliances, mainly JennAir, until we replaced the refrigerator with the stainless GE.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, that is one reason I've never seen at a port.  I hope the captain and the Coast Guard can prevail and you get ashore.

51 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.

Not many comments on today’s quote.  Please allow me to put on my English teacher hat… Some books have been repeatedly banned or challenged throughout history. These books appear the most often on banned books lists. Have you read any of them?
1984 by George Orwell

6D673741-C1F7-461A-AC9C-F6263B56200F.thumb.png.7fa8dc9da4f2e9cdb00f7823aa14861e.png

Tina, thank your for this.  My thoughts are if someone finds books offensive, just don't read them.  I've read several on the list and enjoyed them.

20 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Wilde isn't a favorite of mine but I agree with the quotation. I wouldn't object to the meal, cocktail, or wine, but wouldn't go out of my way to get any of them.

I was at Aarhus in August on the Voyager of the Seas and visited the city center, the Moesgård Museum, and Den Gamle By.

P9030560.thumb.JPG.9358fef35a98ffe56ccec246547d8126.JPGP9030559.thumb.JPG.15203d7498acd81c0c9b641fa9f48d1d.JPGP9030591.thumb.JPG.b15e0ed68115af9012d03b21f5e504ea.JPGP9030592.thumb.JPG.fa8ca91774c54bfa71f8f60afee4a0d4.JPGP9030595.thumb.JPG.4e370564c9485e4fb78f8dcf4e8ccc45.JPGP9030596.thumb.JPG.f4b41917262c6d041cad40ec20ce7130.JPGP9030590.thumb.JPG.ebc045f16d3b9d32074ae34fdb423ae0.JPGP9030583.thumb.JPG.96297e35699fb187777da91f6dc28899.JPG

P9030594.JPG

P9030593.JPG

P9030575.JPG

P9030573.JPG

Paul, thank you for your pictures of Aarhus.  Good luck with the kitchen remodel.   One suggestion about the stainless appliances.  Check them out for showing finger prints before you buy.  Out stainless GE refrigerator in Quartzsite, a less expensive model, does not show fingerprints, but the GE one in Texas, a upper level model does.  Not a deal breaker, but at times it can drive me nuts.

12 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

On Rotterdam!  Starting to move. All the family made it!  Canceled flights, delays… we’re all here!  Thanks to all for the support and good wishes. Will wave!  Maureen—

Maureen, I'm glad all the family made it to Ft. Lauderdale and are all on board.  Have a great cruise.

Now, its 50F and not windy, so I'm heading out to spray weed killer on the many, many weeds.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

On Rotterdam!  Starting to move. All the family made it!  Canceled flights, delays… we’re all here!  Thanks to all for the support and good wishes. Will wave!  Maureen—

It was fun watching you sailing away. Have a great time. Bon Voyage!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

P9030594.JPG

P9030593.JPG

P9030575.JPG

P9030573.JPG

Nice photos.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

1984 by George Orwell

Not only have I read them all, I also own all of them and they are in my library.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

1984 by George Orwell

Every one! Books are my life 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Able to get off of the ship about 10:00. I think. All of the shops in town needed cash only. No credit cards. Systems were down and internet was down. Just as we got back into Lahaina people were saying the internet was back up. We are on board now at 1:30 and things seem to be getting back to normal.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It's a pleasant sunny Sunday, temperature 20 C.

Thanks for all the information on this HAL Fleet/Daily thread.

@rafinmd  Roy, pleased that you had a better sleep, but feel concerned about your foot.

We were pleased to see @RMLincoln  Maureen and Richard at sail away today, it seems a very long time since we met them on board the Volendam.

Re refrigerators,  the side by side refrigerator and freezer we purchased for the second house that we had built for us,  are sitting in the garage here, but  I really miss the ice maker type refrigerator we chose at the last house we had built for us.   Unfortunately not enough kitchen space where we are now for that type of refrigerator.  

Appreciate seeing all the photos of Aarhus, thanks.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Fleet Landing — 10 minute walk from the port.

Thank for your reply. We didn’t eat there but I’ve heard of it. I hope you have a great cruise!

5 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Think I've had it all  avocado, harvest, stainless, even a few chocolate brown tiles left in one bathroom.  For now we just keep it all timeless with white.

As far as fridges go, the main one is a side by side. Best part is the ice and water dispenser.  So quick and easy to get a glass.  I drink so much water now.  Guess I should change the filter one day, been about 5 years  

Our “new”, almost 3 year old LG tells us when to change the two filters, air filter and water filter. It turns out to be about every 6 months. We try to keep a back up so we can change it right away.  It also has an alert beep if the door has been open for too long. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, we have the fingerprint proof type and I love it but it does show the dust. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank for your reply. We didn’t eat there but I’ve heard of it. I hope you have a great cruise!

Our “new”, almost 3 year old LG tells us when to change the two filters, air filter and water filter. It turns out to be about every 6 months. We try to keep a back up so we can change it right away.  It also has an alert beep if the door has been open for too long. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, we have the fingerprint proof type and I love it but it does show the dust. 

Frankly, I think everything shows dust, especially in this house.🤣

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

@marshhawk Sending extra hugs. Your decision was hard but know that Neko is now at peace and not in pain.

@MISTER 67 Glad to hear you are doing well and celebrating 77 years!

@Sharon in AZ Sorry you had a tough conversation with your mother. It's good she has you to lean on even when it's a challenge.

@RMLincoln What fun it was to watch your family's sailaway. Enjoy!

-M.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1