Haggling with souvenir vendors in ports

K32682

On 3/5/2023 at 5:18 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In 2008;my wife bought a $10 watch on a cruise ship .A guy observed that and said the watch will stop running when you get home from the cruise.

This morning ,15 years later the watch stopped working.

As an aside………My husband has quite a few Fossil watches, mainly bought from outlet stores on holiday in USA. The only one which has broken was the one he bought in the ship’s shop on Ruby Princess!  It lasted less than six months…took it to a watch maker, thinking in might need a replacement battery..but no, totally wrecked.

6 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

As an aside………My husband has quite a few Fossil watches, mainly bought from outlet stores on holiday in USA. The only one which has broken was the one he bought in the ship’s shop on Ruby Princess!  It lasted less than six months…took it to a watch maker, thinking in might need a replacement battery..but no, totally wrecked.

Ruby Princess passengers are in the news currently

21 hours ago, K32682 said:

The economic disparity between a well-heeled cruiser and street vendor in a developing country selling goods to feed his family means any "deal" isn't done on a level playing field. His need not to say "NO" is greater than yours. 

I agree to some extent. There is a difference between saying "no" when you don't want something at the price vs saying "no" just for the fun of winning in an exploitive kind of way.   Additionally, as already pointed out, where haggling is expected, the initial price is set high with the expectation of negotiation.   I personally don't like to haggle.   If I'm interested in something I'll ask for their best price.  I'm sure I pay more but these are not big ticket items in general.  

• Like 2

I rarely see any souvenirs that interests me, and -- honestly -- I don't spend much time looking.  

Having a father from Central America, I grew up observing haggling, negotiating, whatever you want to call it -- and I'm really good at it.  Someone mentioned the car dealership in this thread.  When we last bought a car, I know I did a good job -- it showed on the sales manager's face when he realized what he'd just agreed to.  

• Like 2

We haggle a bit; it’s fully expected and build into the price. I don’t beat them down or feel badly about it. Just ask the price and say that it’s too much until they lower the price to what I would pay for the item. I don’t feel badly about it; I’ve never purchased an item where the seller wasn’t grateful for the sale. Buying local in port is a good thing for the community. Getting ripped off isn’t necessary.

Edited by sanger727

Honestly, I have no issue haggling anywhere including here in the States. There are places it is expected and places it is not, In most of those countries, it is not only expected, it is a way of life. It comes down to what you want to pay and what they are willing to sell it for. Most of those vendors are very good at what they do and they are are great at working the crowd. If they are below a profit point, they are not afraid to say no. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:44 PM, K32682 said:

Does anyone else feel a bit reluctant to haggle down a vendor too far at a cruise port in a poor country?

While I understand that haggling is a normal part of some cultures, I don't do it.  When the average monthly salary in Belize is ~$800/mo (and that's average, not for unskilled labor), the extra few dollars I might pay for something means a lot less to me than the vendor.  Of course, it must be something I'm interested in buying, but I'm not going to haggle someone down to where they're barely covering expenses.

• Like 2

A friend of mine was in Egypt, sharm-El-Sheik, and his little lad wanted a Barcelona shirt from a vendor.  He just wanted to get to the beach and sit down, so wasn't fussy about price.

So the vendor said £20, and my friend said OK and got his money out.  Vendor said no, that's not how it works, you have to bargain for the price.  My friend said "OK then, £10" and the vendor said "oh, you're killing me.  My wife, my children will starve" at which my friend got his £20 note out again and said here, take it.  In the end they settled for £15!

• Like 2

If I see something I like I just pay the listed price. If I'm okay paying that price, I don't care if they're laughing about it later or if people think I got 'ripped off'. My conscience is clear knowing I maybe paid a few bucks extra that probably means more to the seller than it does to me, if I'm coming off a cruise ship.

• Like 1

My worst experience was in Egypt.  The moment you look at an item, they follow you around, try to stuffit into your hand so then its yours.  If you do agree to a price, they will reach into your wallet and try to take your money ( I even had to slap a few hands away from my wallet).  I do not buy any souvenirs from street vendors any longer. I now go into a shop, and if it's good price that I'm comfortable with, I will purchase my item.  

Choosing to overspend on this because ‘you can afford it’; sounds generous in the moment - but it can have unintended consequences. For example, when we were on safari in the Serengeti, we saw many teenagers dressed up in tribal costumes standing on the side of the roads. Our guide told us they wanted tourists to pay them for photos. He advised us against it - the younger generations were choosing to stand on the side of the road looking for a handout instead of farming or going to school. 

I fully support shopping local in developing countries- but at the point that you are giving away money, it’s better to make a donation to a charitable organization.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Choosing to overspend on this because ‘you can afford it’; sounds generous in the moment - but it can have unintended consequences. For example, when we were on safari in the Serengeti, we saw many teenagers dressed up in tribal costumes standing on the side of the roads. Our guide told us they wanted tourists to pay them for photos. He advised us against it - the younger generations were choosing to stand on the side of the road looking for a handout instead of farming or going to school. 

I fully support shopping local in developing countries- but at the point that you are giving away money, it’s better to make a donation to a charitable organization.

That is a issue in Caribbean islands where people were bringing stuff to give to random children.  Kids there then skipping schools to meet cruise ships.  Since parents pay for schooling and there are enforced truancy laws, this was a problem.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:30 AM, Aquahound said:

In the very rare occasion that I see a souvenir I want, I have no problem haggling the price.  Timing and location are key though.  You kinda just know when haggling is or isn't right.  

As is usual on these boards, people tend to think their culture is the way the rest of the world works....or should work....because they see others as less fortunate.  In many places, haggling is totally normal, and expected.  In fact, if you pay full price and don't haggle, you're probably getting laughed at as you walk away.  

If I found them laughing at me, I’d laugh back and tell them the laughs on them, as I would have paid double their asking price…😁 

Just kidding…in reality, I am also at that stage in life where I am trying to get rid off “stuff” cluttering my home.  And I can’t even give it away…no one wants it, but my wife still enjoys buying crafts.

I like to bargain for a lower price, but my wife is a “softie”, and tells me to pay what the vender asks, especially if it seems hand-made, and she judges the vender as “needy”…

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

, especially if it seems hand-made,

If I see the same type of item for sale in several stalls, then I'm pretty convinced that it is mass produced,  and will haggle accordingly.

However,  if, like your wife, the item actually seems homemade,  or at the very least is somewhat unique, I will make a token gesture and offer 80% of the asking price, and end up paying 90%.

One really needs to pay attention to the items for sale.  Case in point, my wife found a cute dress in Belize that looked like something that would be made locally.  It was bright print that screamed a Latin background.  At closer examination the tag read, "Made in China".  She didn't buy it.  I am guessing that it originally came from Walmart.

8 hours ago, clackey said:

One really needs to pay attention to the items for sale.  Case in point, my wife found a cute dress in Belize that looked like something that would be made locally.  It was bright print that screamed a Latin background.  At closer examination the tag read, "Made in China".  She didn't buy it.  I am guessing that it originally came from Walmart.

Yes, I have a Bob Marley tee shirt I bought in Jamaica, and it was made in China. Though I did not need to haggle as the seller immediately came down in price when I did not immediately say I'll take it.

OTOH, I do have a Machu Piccu  tee shirt bought in Peru that says made in Peru. (land trip, not  a cruise)

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:10 PM, dsrdsrdsr said:

A friend of mine was in Egypt, sharm-El-Sheik, and his little lad wanted a Barcelona shirt from a vendor.  He just wanted to get to the beach and sit down, so wasn't fussy about price.

So the vendor said £20, and my friend said OK and got his money out.  Vendor said no, that's not how it works, you have to bargain for the price.  My friend said "OK then, £10" and the vendor said "oh, you're killing me.  My wife, my children will starve" at which my friend got his £20 note out again and said here, take it.  In the end they settled for £15!

This is like the scene from Life of Brian!