The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 5th, 2023

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@cruising sister, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @summer slope, and anyone else interested in the San Diego port, the article in the Union about construction there is under a pay wall, but the gist of it is that they had originally some very grand plans, with cruise lines chipping in on that, but since the pandemic, any plans have been scaled way back.  The focus now will be on creating a more streamlined and comfortable check-in process at the cruise terminal.

As far as when, they say, "start in early 2024, with completion targeted for a year later."  

So it will be awhile, but nice to have it done.

Thank you

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@cruising sister, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @summer slope, and anyone else interested in the San Diego port, the article in the Union about construction there is under a pay wall, but the gist of it is that they had originally some very grand plans, with cruise lines chipping in on that, but since the pandemic, any plans have been scaled way back.  The focus now will be on creating a more streamlined and comfortable check-in process at the cruise terminal.

As far as when, they say, "start in early 2024, with completion targeted for a year later."  

So it will be awhile, but nice to have it done.

Thank you for the information.  As I said earlier, while the cruise terminal is spartan at best, just making it easier to navigate will be a big improvement.

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Sending aloha on our last morning in paradise, back to the frozen tundra tonight.  We are filled with gratitude for this visit after having our wings clipped the last few years.  Now to pack, we have never spent this long somewhere else, lol,  

7E0490B6-C18B-400D-8AE9-FC6DAABA90D4.jpeg

57EC3454-5E20-4945-BD3F-CE18A3FD0E44.jpeg

Brenda, I've enjoyed your pictures from Hawaii.  Safe travels back to the frozen tundra tonight.  It hope it's not a big adjustment returning to winter.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I'd be delighted to have some pot roast, IP or not, but don't have anything that is pot-roastable. No, no, no on the cocktail. Yes, yes, yes, on the wine, but not with pot roast.

I believe that multiple personality is now called dissociative identity disorder. I recently took a course on demons and possession, in which one of the teachers was a rabbi who is a psychiatric chaplain. He has seen many patients who thought they were possessed and wanted exorcisms, but has never performed one. He did have one DID patient with many personalities that appeared to stem from childhood sexual trauma, but there was one that he wondered about.

My first name is the name that my father was called by, although it was neither his legal first name nor his Hebrew one. Nevertheless, it caused endless trouble in the family, because the custom in eastern and central European Jewish families is to name children after deceased relatives, not living ones. Some of my elderly relatives professed to be unable to remember my name.

Two of my friends are just back from a cruise to Antarctica, booked through an adventure-travel agency, I think on a ship with only 59 staterooms. It was the sort with many zodiac excursions including one where they set foot on Antarctica and have certificates to prove it. They also have certificates for crossing the Drake Passage, twice.

I slept badly last night but had to be up to teach an adult Hebrew class at 9:30. Then I attended a funeral (at graveside) at 11:00. Fortunately, the demons class has ended and so I could nap after lunch.

cantswim.thumb.jpg.2bf0f2e7b4dc638aae1cd0d3e5721886.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon!  I'm late today, we spent a lot of time on fixing our printer, at least Craig spent a lot of time on fixing our printer.  So much so that we ditched our plans for grilled pork chops that I have been marinating for a day.  We will have them tonight instead and just have a light lunch.  It sort of messed up our relaxing time and made for a weird Sunday.

I am so happy that I am not named for either of my grandmothers, Edith and Helen.  My DM and DF really wanted to name me Honey but I really think it was a joke because it goes with my Maiden name.  I need to ask DM again why she thought it was so cute.  However I am glad that I have the name I have and not a nickname.  In fact, I made sure that my children did have names that could become nicknames.  The weird thing is that my brother and I have rhyming middle names.  Not sure why that happened. 

I haven't read the entire Daily so am wishing everyone well and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day!

• Like 21

Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI have also been worried about @St. Louis Saland always admired her too.  I hope she's ok.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ I also had a grandmother named Helen!  But my other grandmother and my mother's names were worse!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI have a cousin who married a Charlene too, and my next door neighbor's daughter's name is Charlene.  Both wonderful women!

Laura @kpladyhow exciting to be leaving soon for your Australia-NZ cruise!  Will you be posting here while you're gone?  Several of us are booked on the Grand Australia in January and would love to hear about the ports and cruise. 🙂  

Well it's about time to gather up the kittens, all their things, and head to DD's house.  They've worn themselves out and are sound asleep now, of course!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, 

We're watching the ships sailing away from Port Everglades and Dh is watching Secrets of the Zoo. He has been home 48 hours now and is doing well. He is transferring fairly easily from chair to wheelchair, etc., is much more talkative and engaged in what is going on, and definitely has an appetite - especially for cookies! 

DH's middle name is his mother's maiden name. I'm not named after anyone but a lot of my age range were named Elizabeth as it was when the Queen came to the throne. Fortunately my mom didn't follow that pattern. DS is not named after anyone but his middle name is his  birth name given by his birth mother. We adopted him when he was 2 1/2 years old. 

We weren't interested at all in using family names - think Hilda, Reginald, Delvina, Percy, Thelma and Harry. Not going to happen! 

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

We spent the afternoon going through and tossing old paperwork, mainly because I made a withdrawal from my retirement account, but never got paper work for tax purposes.  After going through 3 boxes of "poop" and still not finding anything, I found the original request, and will go in to have our taxes done with that.  Then I decided to make some coffee to make the 4th box of "poop" go by easier, and the coffee pot died, so off to wally world to get a coffee maker, milk, and cat food.   It really was one of those days.  And tonight I get to make a payment on my hotel reservation for Vancouver.  Money up front.  I have no idea why they didnt charge me, when I made the reservation.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone.

I am really late today.  Slept late and that made everything else late.  We have had to be up at 8 am every morning because of workers in our house so today was the only day we were able to sleep late.

Thank you to all that contributed to the Daily.  
I have just finished reading through all the posts and have already forgotten half of what I have read.

As for the days.  

Multiple personalities—don’t know anyone in that category, thank God.  

Film Reel Day—love old movies.  We had some family movies on reel made into DVDs./

As for namesake, From what I understand there was a real todo about naming me.  My paternal grandmother was Rosaria, but called Sadie, My maternal grandmother was Francesca.  In Italian families the tradition is that the first born is named after the father’s parents and then the mother’s.  Well, my mother was adamant that I not be called Sadie.  In the end I was named Theresa, because my father had a small statue of Saint Theresa on his key ring. Since I never knew my father until I was an adult, I thought it was very interesting that he showed me that statue that he still had many years later.  For whatever that was worth.

As for the meal, the pot roast recipe looks delicious, but will save it for another day.

Will take a pass on the drink, but will consider the wine.

Never been to the port.

Prayers for all who need them and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Happy Sunday,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

From today Monday 6th, cruise ships are permitted to re- start visits to Napier.

Does anyone have the recipe for theTomato Pie/Tart that was posted ages ago?,can't find the recipe would appreciate if someone would repost the recipe.  Thank you if you can help.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, erewhon said:

From today Monday 6th, cruise ships are permitted to re- start visits to Napier.

Does anyone have the recipe for theTomato Pie/Tart that was posted ages ago?,can't find the recipe would appreciate if someone would repost the recipe.  Thank you if you can help.

Not sure of recipe that was posted here but Google has lot’s of recipes.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021252-heirloom-tomato-tart

…..and many more. Just Google.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, erewhon said:

I think a lot of us used this one.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rustic-tomato-pie/

tomatopie.jpg.d7e56b10b43e2107e68461a268a0a88c.jpg

We went back out to the Gardens and had a lovely time today.  

IMG_2165.thumb.jpg.2da70c3907a06c6d7d0a2e83f1ee0c33.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, or is it evening for most of you.  Dinner time here and oh those pot roasts look good. I will take all the carrots any one wants to throw at me.

My parents names were Gladys Faye and Woodrow Wilson. Good thing I am an only child and was named my grandmothers middle names. My female cousin was named her grandmothers first names. Male members of the family were not so fortunate; lots of Ruebens and even more Chesters.

Our city just got the first Aldi a few months ago but it is 8 miles away from me. Not very convenient for shopping. Someday I will have to go there to find out why so many of you shop there. I am genuinely curious.

Jane

• Like 18

@Quartzsite CruiserIn hind sight I have lead and do lead an interesting life.  I meet all sorts of people, I'm one of those people that if any one needs an ear, I'm here.  I hear a lot of sadness.  But armed with my cup of coffee (constant companion) and my smokes (another pesky habit) I dont walk away when I hear hard times.   I might make a suggestion or two, but most people dont want to know there are options.  They just want an ear.  One of my co workers told me that I need to write a book.  But most of my stories are about people who just might still be alive, and they would sue me.🙀

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI have also been worried about @St. Louis Saland always admired her too.  I hope she's ok.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ I also had a grandmother named Helen!  But my other grandmother and my mother's names were worse!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI have a cousin who married a Charlene too, and my next door neighbor's daughter's name is Charlene.  Both wonderful women!

Laura @kpladyhow exciting to be leaving soon for your Australia-NZ cruise!  Will you be posting here while you're gone?  Several of us are booked on the Grand Australia in January and would love to hear about the ports and cruise. 🙂  

Well it's about time to gather up the kittens, all their things, and head to DD's house.  They've worn themselves out and are sound asleep now, of course!

Many times, I wanted tell @St. Louis Sal that I admired her for her upbeat attitude and for her doing all she could to get the most out of life.  I held off because I wasn't sure how she would take it.  I'm sure that she had her moments of despair, but we never saw it.  I regret that I didn't tell her.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite CruiserIn hind sight I have lead and do lead an interesting life.  I meet all sorts of people, I'm one of those people that if any one needs an ear, I'm here.  I hear a lot of sadness.  But armed with my cup of coffee (constant companion) and my smokes (another pesky habit) I dont walk away when I hear hard times.   I might make a suggestion or two, but most people dont want to know there are options.  They just want an ear.  One of my co workers told me that I need to write a book.  But most of my stories are about people who just might still be alive, and they would sue me.🙀

Annie, I think many of us on the Daily lead a more interesting life than we think we do.  We've been fortunate enough to cruise and see the world.  Going through my pictures, I've been amazed at some of the places we've seen and the people we met.  We've been places most people only dream about.  We never thought we get to Moscow to see the Kremlin, Beijing to see the Great Wall and the Forbidden City, much less travel in China on our own on the high speed train.  We didn't think we'd ever go to Hanoi or Hue either.  We even made it to Ukraine before all the problems caused by Russia.

All our travels made our everyday life seem a little dull, but even enjoying being outside or just pursuing our hobbies give our lives meaning.  I guess that's enough philosophying for one day. 😉

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12