Attire reality

lhsail

Hi, I wear slacks and a top. Nothing what I consider "dressy" but I do try to look put together. ..black pants and a knit top (for example). River Cruising is very casual.  If I am wearing jeans for touring then I will change for dinner. 

• Like 3

Men wear polo/golf type shirts or short sleeve buttondowns and khakis quite often in the warmer weather, and long-sleeve buttondown shirts in cooler times.  Those with jackets and ties stuck out, in reality.

I wear cargo pants that look pretty good on excursions, and a couple of nights I didn't have time to change into khakis so I wore the cargo pants to dinnere and I did not stick out at all.

• Like 1

On my recent Tauck cruise, we were often back late from excursions due to the weather (wet and soggy) and traffic, and dinner had already started.  Many of us just headed to the dining room after we dumped our stuff in our cabins.  It was very casual but not sloppy.  

• Like 3

Pretty much what @Rebel54 said.

We were on AmaDante in July 2018. It was abnormally hot. I wore shorts most of the time, but I think I may have freshened up for dinner with cargo slacks and a short sleeve button down shirt most evenings. Largely because I had packed them and it was nice to just change from what I sweated in all day, but I don't think I needed to. Pretty sure there were men with shorts and polos, as well as a few that had jackets.

This last December on a Grand Circle, I de-layered, but wore what I wore the rest of the day out on excursions to the Christmas markets. I think there was even less attention to attire than on the Ama one in 2018. Didn't see a single jacket on any men.

I have been on several AMA cruises and the only night I dress a little nicer for is the Captain’s dinner.  If I am out all day touring and walking I usually just go to dinner in what I had on that day.  Now, I cruised in the cooler months of October and April, so I wasn’t all sweaty like you might be if cruising in the Summer.  It is very casual. 

• Like 1

I've found the best way to see how people really dress on any cruise/tour is to view YouTube videos posted by people who have been on the tour itself. You will see fellow guests as they are, not how the cruise line or tour company feels it should look. 

• Like 1

Appreciate everyone’s input. And we have watched several YouTube videos. Since I posted this we booked the QM2 to get to Europe. At least they have relaxed their dress code. Nothing like keeping life interesting. 

One year we had a guy who insisted on wearing the ‘grottiest’ pair of shorts you’ve ever seen to dinner every evening, despite requests for him to conform from quite a few on board including his wife. We’re sure it was because of a request then in the small print to be shall we say a bit tidier for dinner. Eventually everyone including his wife refused to sit with him, the restaurant manager asked him if he would prefer a table to himself. So he sat in solitude every evening for the rest of the cruise! The rest of the trip he joined in with everyone with no problem. As my mum used to say ‘there’s non so queer as folk’.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sorry to hijack this with a packing question. It is about clothing, though!

Will there be a robe and slippers in my room? I’m in a AA cabin. I leave on Sunday so packing is in full swing. I’m just hoping to be able to pack as simply as possible. We do have slippers we have “released” from other cruises which we could take!

Thanks for any help.

@Kristal Blade there are so many cruise companies, and they have different ships for different routes, so if you want a definitive answer from this forum you need to tell us.

But if you're on a Viking Longship AA cabin then you don't get a robe in your stateroom, instead you get  "plush robes & slippers" 😁

3 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Wow, pontac! I’m dreaming of plush now!

With Ama you're going to get more than 'plush'. (unless you are cruising in Africa where you get none, or Vietnam & Cambodia where it's just 'bathrobe and slippers).

The website photo of the Ama AA cabin shows a bathrobe on the bed, but there's no mention of it in the listed amenities, but hidden away in the FAQs is this:

Europe: Each stateroom is equipped with a hair dryer, plush terry bathrobes, slippers and a safe. Your bathroom offers a magnifying mirror and spa-quality toiletries including soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

Vietnam & Cambodia: Each stateroom is equipped with a hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers and a safe. Your bathroom offers toiletries including soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

So, not just plush but plush terry!

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by pontac

9 minutes ago, pontac said:

With Ama you're going to get more than 'plush'. (unless you are cruising in Africa where you get none, or Vietnam & Cambodia where it's just 'bathrobe and slippers).

The website photo of the Ama AA cabin shows a bathrobe on the bed, but there's no mention of it in the listed amenities, but hidden away in the FAQs is this:

Europe: Each stateroom is equipped with a hair dryer, plush terry bathrobes, slippers and a safe. Your bathroom offers a magnifying mirror and spa-quality toiletries including soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

Vietnam & Cambodia: Each stateroom is equipped with a hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers and a safe. Your bathroom offers toiletries including soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are also in an AA on the AmaKristina. Sounds like we’ll be spoiled. 

33 minutes ago, pontac said:

Enjoy your cruise.

Yippee, plush terry! We are on a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest so we will revel in the spa quality toiletries and may even “liberate” some of them at the end of the cruise!

Thanks very much for doing the research for me.

9 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

we will revel in the spa quality toiletries

You can do more than just revel. You can rejuvenate without limitations when you step into their shower. 🙄

Someone gets paid to write this carp

You’ll also step into a spacious glass-enclosed shower, giving you the freedom to rejuvenate without limitations

😁 I know you clever lot can decode what I would have written if the keen Cruise Critic robot didn't asterisk out words it finds offensive.

But should one find carp swimming around without limitations in the spacious glass-enclosed* shower then the boat is probably sinking, and pausing only to take ones spa quality toiletries, make one's way up to the sundeck in one's plush terry robe to await rescue.

*means it's got a glass door, like every other river cruise boat. As I said, carp. 

Cynic? Moi?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pontac said:

*means it's got a glass door, like every other river cruise boat. As I said, carp. 

Cynic? Moi?

But there are many older ships (on the oceans, if not rivers) with shower curtains – and we (Yanks) still don't understand how Europeans take a shower with a half-enclosure and keep from flooding the bathroom floor.  So I actually find the language 'glass-enclosed shower' to be reassuring!  🤣

In answer to your meta question:  wine stores can't hire all the creative writing majors.  😉