Blu

rollie

39 minutes ago, rollie said:

When dining at Blu on Edge class ships, can you order from the MDR menu.  I'm pretty sure you can, but DW want's it in writing.

Rollie

Goes back and forth but to get it in writing you need to get it from Celebrity, doubt showing them a post from CC is going to give it to you if they say no.  I think it depends on the class of the ship.  Some the Blu is not close to Main Dining Room Kitchen.  

• Like 3

On Edge class it´s not so sure and depends on the Maitre.
We have been on one cruise on Apex and have been told it´s not possible and three months later on Apex with another Maitre it wasn´t a problem.

Anyway... regardless of MDR menu keep in mind that there are classics not printed on the menu but always available like Onion Soup, Escargot, Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad...

2 hours ago, rollie said:

When dining at Blu on Edge class ships, can you order from the MDR menu.  I'm pretty sure you can, but DW want's it in writing.

Rollie

Wants it in writing from who??? A cruise critic poster?? 
I don’t think they listen to “but I read it on cruise critic!”

Edited by CruisersTimesThree
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe. Don’t count on it. They always have baked chicken, steak or salmon. Also kid meals which a few adults order. 

that said, half the reason to go Aqua class is Blu. If that menu doesn’t appeal to anyone you are on the wrong place 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rollie said:

but DW want's it in writing.

My friend, whatever the individual ship policy is the week you sail, that is what you will have to adhere to.  Doesn't matter what a CCer said, doesn't matter what a land based rep said, doesn't matter what your check-in agent said - it is whatever the ship's policy is.  And even though it may be the policy on one ship, it doesn't guarantee that it is the policy on another ship.

9 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie

Two weeks ago on the Beyond, the answer was a definitive 'NO'.    If we did not like the menu for the evening, we either booked a Specialty Restaurant or went to one of the MDRs.  We were happy with Normandie.

When we ordered French onion soup in Blu, we were always told that our waiter would have to go down from Deck 5 to Deck 3 to get it.   The soup was delicious!

I agree that on ships where the galley's aren't co-located it is unreasonable to expect waiters to run to the other galley for MDR items. 

On the other hand the every day items have always been available in Blu (used to be printed on the Blu menu) and those limited ingredients should be stocked there and be able to be prepared in the Blu galley.

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My friend, whatever the individual ship policy is the week you sail, that is what you will have to adhere to.  Doesn't matter what a CCer said, doesn't matter what a land based rep said, doesn't matter what your check-in agent said - it is whatever the ship's policy is.  And even though it may be the policy on one ship, it doesn't guarantee that it is the policy on another ship.

This is 100% true.  Not only does it vary by ship and sailing, but it also can vary by capacity and current staffing.  The only times we have never had an issue ordering off MDR was in Luminae on S and M class, and in Blu on M class.  Other than that it's a roll of the dice.  To the OP, it does matter sometimes if you pre-order the day before.  Sometimes they won't do it the day of, but if you notify them the day before they can sometimes pre-arrange it.  You can find your menus on the app to review the next day's.

• Thanks 1

Personal experience and many post have been made on this subject.

On Edge Class Ships  -  those in Blu and Luminae are not permitted to order from the Main Dining Room Menu.   Main reason is that unlike M and S class ships they DO NOT SHARE  the same kitchen as the Main Dining Rooms.

Both Blu and Luminae do however have the same anytime menu with a Steak, Chicken and Salmon on it as well as things like Escargot and Shrimp Cocktails   These can be ordered at an Restaurant.  There is also a Children's Menu that is available in all dining rooms.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie

If you want something in writing, it will certainly be the official policy which will be “no” You are asking for exceptions, “maybes” and you will never see that in writing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. We will be on the Beyond and will adhere to ships policy.  We've been in a suite on Edge class and understand the distance factor, but thought that Blu being much closer to the MDR's would make a difference.

Rollie

Rollie

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On Edge Class Ships  -  those in Blu and Luminae are not permitted to order from the Main Dining Room Menu.   Main reason is that unlike M and S class ships they DO NOT SHARE  the same kitchen as the Main Dining Rooms.

Both Blu and Luminae do however have the same anytime menu with a Steak, Chicken and Salmon on it as well as things like Escargot and Shrimp Cocktails   These can be ordered at an Restaurant.  There is also a Children's Menu that is available in all dining rooms.

Curious why you would say this when many many cruisers have stated they have does this many times on Edge, Apex and Beyond.

Did they do it when the ship was full or when the ship was nearly empty? It makes a big difference. Was the ship fully staffed or short staffed? That makes another diffeeence.   This is a case where the experience of one cruiser doesn’t necessarily transfer forward to another cruiser on another date

1 hour ago, darren42 said:

Curious why you would say this when many many cruisers have stated they have does this many times on Edge, Apex and Beyond.

I'm not sure I've seen "many many" cruisers reporting the ability to do this.  That said, can it be done on occasion?  Yes.  Does it cause a big inconvenience to the staff and in return the other passengers in the dining room because the staff has to spend a considerable amount of time running to the other dining room?  Definitely!  The dining rooms are nowhere near each other.  The best way to potentially mitigate that is to request a particular menu item the day before.  They may accommodate you then.  And as cruisestitch says, what has happened when the ship was nearly empty versus full and potentially understaffed (or with new staff) can make a huge difference.  

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As an aside.....in  Nov 2023... Shrimp cocktail in Luminae was served with small, mushy shrimp and awful tasting sauce.  In BLU, the shrimp were huge, firm, fresh and sauce was perfect..  Definitely  diff kitchens and diff provisions.  Luminae was dark and dingy..BLU...oh so light and bright.

We booked our 2024 Ascent in cruise n AQ Class.. we are BLU fans!  4 mdrs were fine too on EDGE