Celebrity Changed my Itinerary. Do I have options?

Keys Kathy

Probably not. Someone will have the exact language, but it's something along the line of ports and itinerary subject to change. At least for US purchased cruises. EU rules are apparently tighter, but largely as long as they leave and return to Fort Lauderdale (assuming FLL here) and provide a cabin, it's the cruise you paid for. Even if it's not...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe it’s in the cruise contract that you agree to that Celebrity has the right to change ports/itineraries if they have to. Sometimes they have no choice due to circumstances beyond their control, for example a dockworkers strike.

They aren’t going to provide any compensation for that. 
On our upcoming Feb 2024 Caribbean cruise they have completely swapped out one island for another. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

X changed the day we will be in a port. We were meeting friends from another ship on that day. Do I have any options without having to pay the $200. to change? They are the ones who changed the itinerary.

What option were you hoping for?

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

X changed the day we will be in a port. We were meeting friends from another ship on that day. Do I have any options without having to pay the $200. to change? They are the ones who changed the itinerary.

Yes you have options. Cancel or go. Celebrity reserves the right to change/ cancel intinaries at their discretion. It's a bummer but been there, done that. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

@Keys Kathy

7. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 7.e below, and except as provided in Section 4.e or Section 4.f regarding an actual or suspected COVID-19 infection, and except where a refund is required by law as a result of a declaration of a public health emergency or government order cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by Passengers by three (3) days or more, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

In short, you agreed to the prospect of changes when you booked the cruise.  I would guess there has been some sort of change  on 25% of my cruises.  They do not, and will not provide you any compensation for changes before or during the cruise. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to cancel or change, call and ask them to do just that.

The comments of contributors here won't help you and are often incorrect. I've gotten a free cancellation/change every time when something changed that I didn't like. Sometimes you have to raise a bit of a stink, other times they just give in right away.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

If you want to cancel or change, call and ask them to do just that.

The comments of contributors here won't help you and are often incorrect. I've gotten a free cancellation/change every time when something changed that I didn't like. Sometimes you have to raise a bit of a stink, other times they just give in right away.

Wow! HOPE!

I assume you have a non refundable deposit.  If you find another cruise that includes the island that was cancelled, Celebrity might waive the $100 per person penalty.  Of course you will have to pay the prevailing rate.  Although Celebrity is not obligated to waive the charge, IMO it is worth the time to try.  Be ready to book when you call.  

2 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

So...are your friends going to change their cruise too?

As has been pointed out, cruiselines CAN change ports for any reason. All you're really guaranteed is a stateroom.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

You're title for this thread is "Celebrity Changed my Itinerary".  Celebrity changed their itinerary and unfortunatley this is not an umcommon occurrance!!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

This encouragement is overwhelming! I guess the glass is half full and there is no prime rib.

Actually there is prime Rib.

Call and ask.  Let them know clearly exactly what change you would like.  Absolutely do not blame them.  You entered into a contract and you are asking for the change.

As others have said since 2015 we have had exactly 4 out of 10 cruises without a change that deleted or changed ports.

4 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

You're title for this thread is "Celebrity Changed my Itinerary".  Celebrity changed their itinerary and unfortunatley this is not an umcommon occurrance!!  

I think it would s more like “fairly common” for cruises in general.

On the last 6 cruises I have been on/planned the itinerary has changed on 3 of them.  On four of them if you include getting back to the starting port over 5 hours late.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Actually there is prime Rib.

Call and ask.  Let them know clearly exactly what change you would like.  Absolutely do not blame them.  You entered into a contract and you are asking for the change.

As others have said since 2015 we have had exactly 4 out of 10 cruises without a change that deleted or changed ports.

Thanks, there are so many negative Nellie's, I have seen the same ones on several threads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Probably not. Someone will have the exact language, but it's something along the line of ports and itinerary subject to change. At least for US purchased cruises. EU rules are apparently tighter, but largely as long as they leave and return to Fort Lauderdale (assuming FLL here) and provide a cabin, it's the cruise you paid for. Even if it's not...

Exactly the same rules in Europe and indeed worldwide 

. Basically if the ship starts and ends at the ports advertised regardless of what happens in-between it's the same cruise. 

• Like 1