Solarium adults only... Not so much. 😐

want2seaitall

42 minutes ago, davekathy said:

To each their own but I wouldn't cancel. I would never book or not book a cruise based on another's positive or negative experiences or opinions.  

Couldn’t agree more, had I looked here before we cruised we may never have sailed Celebrity.  And we will only stop sailing Celebrity the day we get off a cruise thinking it wasn’t value for money. Sure we’ve had issues on cruises but we’ve had issues on I would say every single holiday we’ve taken, such is life.

• Like 4

I like kids. I even have my own!  But there is no reason why "family hours" should be needed in the Solarium on a warm weather cruise.  I would be sure to address this in your survey.

Along those same lines, I am 100% in agreement in allowing family hours if the weather is cold or rainy.  

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I am one now, and have no children.  My point was a poster referred to children as "Rug Rats", and the complaints here have gone far afield from children in the solarium.  In my experience, I've seen far more rude adults than rude children or parents on Celebrity cruises; and far more adults violating the rule in the solarium against excessive noise, than children violating the rules against being present. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Rudeness comes at all levels and I agree the world , our nation and cruise ship would be better without Rudeness. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

No, I believe @want2seaitall got unlucky.  

I want to believe that because the In-laws also had a tremendous cruise on the Constellation as well and booked another Celebrity cruise, but many reviews and comments I see here and elsewhere aren't all that positive. Other locations are to the point that I posted the food stuff there, I was middle of the road on, but I didn't even bother posting about the great time we had on our Panama Canal cruise. 

2 hours ago, Justprettynpink said:

Will be on the Mille in a couple of weeks....the App says family hours 4 - 7 pm. Under "Restrictions" it says Maximum 16 years old.🤪🤪🤪

The same is showing for our cruise next month. 

I have already made a note to mention it in my feedback.  It makes no sense to me to have 'family hours' on a cruise that is sailing in warm weather. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, want2seaitall said:

Have fun! Aside from our dining staff, I'm utterly unimpressed. One night our cabin steward took all our dirty towels and left us with none. So in the morning I went to take a shower and realized I had no towels... None. So my husband contacted our steward to let her know that we don't have any towels. She said okay well after I'm done finishing my breakfast I'll bring you some towels. 😂😂😂 I'm waiting for my massage at the spa right now. They asked that I arrive 15 minutes early... Going on  3/4 hour waiting staring at a wall. I was going to take advantage of the future cruise credit... No thanks. 

This is unacceptable.

Please make sure you speak to management about the issue with the stateroom attendant. 

• Like 2

What is worse, the pool, hot tub, ocean or Great Lakes?   There are times during the summer that the Great Lakes aren’t safe to swim in.   I am sure many places in the oceans are also the same because of contamination.  

People sweat in pools  and here is a comparison between sweat and urine]

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/sweat-science-you-didnt-know-sweat-pimples-night-sweats

Too much to worry or think about.   

For years when I was a lot younger I would spend days in the Detroit River close to Lake Erie.  The water was very contaminated compared to today.  I had a boat along with my boating friends.   We all worked midnights and would be out there everyday on the beach, in the water and water skiing.  We survived.  I know that a few or their children did get ear infections, and sometimes a rash.   Whenever you are in the water and your face goes in it you will always end up drinking some.  You can’t help it because it is on your lips.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

24 minutes ago, miched said:

What is worse, the pool, hot tub, ocean or Great Lakes?   There are times during the summer that the Great Lakes aren’t safe to swim in.   I am sure many places in the oceans are also the same because of contamination.  

People sweat in pools  and here is a comparison between sweat and urine]

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/sweat-science-you-didnt-know-sweat-pimples-night-sweats

Too much to worry or think about.   

For years when I was a lot younger I would spend days in the Detroit River close to Lake Erie.  The water was very contaminated compared to today.  I had a boat along with my boating friends.   We all worked midnights and would be out there everyday on the beach, in the water and water skiing.  We survived.  I know that a few or their children did get ear infections, and sometimes a rash.   Whenever you are in the water and your face goes in it you will always end up drinking some.  You can’t help it because it is on your lips.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

So are you saying we should allow diapers in the hot tub because somewhere it was worse 50 years ago?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisin_123 said:

I'll be on the Beyond next week. My app doesn't show kids hours. We'll see.

We were on a B2B on Beyond 2/5.23 - 2/19/23.  Kids had been screaming in the solarium for hours with staff just going on their merry way.  Finally, I asked what appeared to be a supervisor of some sort (white shirt with shoulder boards of some variety) why kids were allowed in the solarium when the signed obviously said it was not allowed?  His eyes got big and he said, "What kids?"  I replied, "The screaming ones two feet behind you."  I will admit he had them leave but it was a temporary solution.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crusin okie said:

We were on a B2B on Beyond 2/5.23 - 2/19/23.  Kids had been screaming in the solarium for hours with staff just going on their merry way.  Finally, I asked what appeared to be a supervisor of some sort (white shirt with shoulder boards of some variety) why kids were allowed in the solarium when the signed obviously said it was not allowed?  His eyes got big and he said, "What kids?"  I replied, "The screaming ones two feet behind you."  I will admit he had them leave but it was a temporary solution.  

When this happens, is your only option to wait in line at guest services to report a disturbance?  Has anyone tried dunking them?

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 6

On 3/13/2023 at 9:09 PM, cruising sister said:

At least on Disney they have a true adult only area that is very nice. 

Except that on the Dream Class the forward elevators empty into the adult area so families will often walk through it rather than on their deck go to the midship elevators. Most walk through quickly but every once in a while you get some dawdlers.

I haven't been on the Wish yet (going in August) but one thing in advance that I like is that the adult area is in the aft and you have to WANT to get there. No accidentally wandering through.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crusin okie said:

Unfortunately this is the "new" world we live in.  We have been cruising for many years and miss the days when the crew actually enforced the rules that they put in place!  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, want2seaitall said:

Admittedly this is my first cruise in a while. But the strangeness of the rules they decide to enforce are odd. They let a kid use the hot tub as a plunge pool during adult hours but I just got told that I'm not allowed to have my little fruit plate at the sunset bar in the back of the ship. I kindly took my plate and went and found a table without problem but just strange in my experience on this particular cruise the rules they choose to enforce and the rules they choose to ignore.

When on a celebrity ship a few years back, I was told I could not sit at Mast Bar with my burger from Mast Grill.   I food allowed at bar.  They also told another passenger the same.  On the Equinox last week, passenger was eating her burger at the bar at the Sunset Bar.   Correct about who and where rules are enforced is puzzling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

When on a celebrity ship a few years back, I was told I could not sit at Mast Bar with my burger from Mast Grill.   I food allowed at bar.  They also told another passenger the same.  On the Equinox last week, passenger was eating her burger at the bar at the Sunset Bar.   Correct about who and where rules are enforced is puzzling. 

We were on the S Class ship a few years ago DH wasn't feeling well so rather than go the the MDR I went to the OV.  I grabbed a salad and some pizza and headed outside to the Oceanview bar.  The tables were all occupied except for 1 that would seat 4 of 5 rather than tie up a large table I went to the bar with my food.  Was told I couldn't eat at the bar, so took the only table.  Not more than 5 minutes later I was confronted by a group of 4 who could not find a place to sit and asked if I would move to the bar so they could have the "large table" I was hogging.

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We were on the S Class ship a few years ago DH wasn't feeling well so rather than go the the MDR I went to the OV.  I grabbed a salad and some pizza and headed outside to the Oceanview bar.  The tables were all occupied except for 1 that would seat 4 of 5 rather than tie up a large table I went to the bar with my food.  Was told I couldn't eat at the bar, so took the only table.  Not more than 5 minutes later I was confronted by a group of 4 who could not find a place to sit and asked if I would move to the bar so they could have the "large table" I was hogging.

Did you go elsewhere or keep your seat?  I might not have been very patient with their comments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Yikes!  How rude of them.  We've politely asked people if we can share their table, and vice versa.  No problem unless they were waiting for the rest of their party.  I hope you were able to finish your meal in peace.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Did you go elsewhere or keep your seat?  I might not have been very patient with their comments.

I wouldn't have said anything as I was taught never to talk when my mouth is full. 😁 Now dirty looks, all bets are off. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Obiously you should have eaten standing up.  😂

I travel on Celebrity with and without my school-aged kids. 

They KNOW they are not allowed to go to the Solarium. We often go there if they are in the kids club or since we sometimes travel with another family member or nanny, with them.  I also like having a place i can go for an hour or two for some peace and quiet and I certainly don't want to have to deal with anyone else's little darlings in the Solarium.

If there are family hours then so be it; those are the rules the cruise line has set. I've not had that happen on any of our X cruises but all the ones with kids were warm weather cruises.

We are amongst the group who do sometimes take our kids out of school for cruises. I had no idea this was so irksome to some of the posters here.  The reason for this is that both my husband and I are usually unable to take time off during the times the kids are out of school, so if we want to enjoy a family vacation, most of the time it has to happen during the low demand times.  We are both in healthcare and so to ensure people have access to care during all times of the year, not just when kids are in school, only a handful of people at both of our jobs can be out at any given time; coordinating that across both of our employers for us to both be out at a high demand time is almost impossible.  Of the six holidays my employer recognizes, I've been assigned four of them for 2023. It's part of the job.

So, maybe some of the delinquent parents so carelessly taking their children out of school and showing no respect for the value of education are actually the same people who are keeping essential healthcare services open 24/7, and taking the kids out of school enables them to still enjoy a family vacation.

We'll continue to follow the rules with respect to the Solarium and hope that others do the same.  We have not had this problem on any of our X cruises, thank goodness.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

I travel on Celebrity with and without my school-aged kids. 

They KNOW they are not allowed to go to the Solarium. We often go there if they are in the kids club or since we sometimes travel with another family member or nanny, with them.  I also like having a place i can go for an hour or two for some peace and quiet and I certainly don't want to have to deal with anyone else's little darlings in the Solarium.

If there are family hours then so be it; those are the rules the cruise line has set. I've not had that happen on any of our X cruises but all the ones with kids were warm weather cruises.

We are amongst the group who do sometimes take our kids out of school for cruises. I had no idea this was so irksome to some of the posters here.  The reason for this is that both my husband and I are usually unable to take time off during the times the kids are out of school, so if we want to enjoy a family vacation, most of the time it has to happen during the low demand times.  We are both in healthcare and so to ensure people have access to care during all times of the year, not just when kids are in school, only a handful of people at both of our jobs can be out at any given time; coordinating that across both of our employers for us to both be out at a high demand time is almost impossible.  Of the six holidays my employer recognizes, I've been assigned four of them for 2023. It's part of the job.

So, maybe some of the delinquent parents so carelessly taking their children out of school and showing no respect for the value of education are actually the same people who are keeping essential healthcare services open 24/7, and taking the kids out of school enables them to still enjoy a family vacation.

We'll continue to follow the rules with respect to the Solarium and hope that others do the same.  We have not had this problem on any of our X cruises, thank goodness.

Appreciate you feel the need to post, but you don't owe anyone any explanation 🙂  Complainers be complaining...

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 12:28 PM, CunucuMom said:

It just never seems to end for you this trip.  I'm getting closer to thinking we should just ditch our deposit and cancel our cruise (final payment due June).  Btw, since I'm a newbie, what is the issue with the fruit plate at the Sunset bar?

Lol nooo go. I'm praying this is an isolated incident. I had major knee surgery so I'm hobling along on this trip. I spent a day on my own and I sent my husband snorkeling. So I was by myself just looking for a quiet place to sit, have some fruit and a glass of wine and I grabbed a fruit plate from the buffet and went out to the sunset bar put my fruit plate on the bar where I was going to ask for a Malbec and they quickly told me there is no food allowed at the bar. I chose the bar over the tables because it was the only place in the shade. No big deal... I moved my stuff. But it's just funny to me The rules they choose to enforce and the rules they choose to ignore. A kid jumping from the side of the hot tub into the hot tub over and over again in front of staff... No problem. Smh.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, want2seaitall said:

Lol nooo go. I'm praying this is an isolated incident. I had major knee surgery so I'm hobling along on this trip. I spent a day on my own and I sent my husband snorkeling. So I was by myself just looking for a quiet place to sit, have some fruit and a glass of wine and I grabbed a fruit plate from the buffet and went out to the sunset bar put my fruit plate on the bar where I was going to ask for a Malbec and they quickly told me there is no food allowed at the bar. I chose the bar over the tables because it was the only place in the shade. No big deal... I moved my stuff. But it's just funny to me The rules they choose to enforce and the rules they choose to ignore. A kid jumping from the side of the hot tub into the hot tub over and over again in front of staff... No problem. Smh.

I believe it’s fairly straight forward. Food at the bar contravenes hygiene protocols which are fixed/legally binding depending upon where the ship is sailing from. Just like the rules about serving food in carpeted areas instead of tiled ones

or not filling take away cups on Al Bacio. Use of the solarium is is a rule that Celebtity has decided to introduce mainly for marketing purposes.
I totally agree that X should enforce all the rules it makes as I consider such rules to be part of the deal I signed up for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Does most of this stuff just happen on Caribbean cruise ?🤔

we have never done one, as we have only  TAs and European cruise 

There a bit stuff happening but not like the crap that I read that goes on during Caribbean cruises 

I'll let you know.  I'm on a TA on the Apex in April.  My app does state that during inclement weather or during certain conditions the Solarium Pool could be open to people under 16 accompanied by an adult.

• Like 1