"Just" a Balcony. Will I Feel Like a Second Class Citizen?

land64shark

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

Edited by land64shark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We've been on Infinity twice in "just a balcony" and never felt like we were missing anything. 

You'll have the run of 95% of the ship, if not more.

She's a beautiful ship and you will love her.

Don't worry about what the others say or do.

enjoy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

In fact the vast majority of posters here do book the general population cabins.  A great deal of the ship is open to you to enjoy.  The Suite-only areas on Millennium are scattered around the ship.  You will not be able to use Luminae (suite restaurant) and the Retreat Lounge or Retreat Sundeck.  You will not be able to use Blu (Aqua restaurant). The vast majority of passengers are not in suites or Aqua.  Enjoy your cruise.  Santorini is special! Happy marriage!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am one who has never sailed in a suite and after over 25 cruises, I've never felt like a second class citizen.

I'll be in Europe and visiting Santorini in a non suite stateroom this year, enjoy Europe and your wedding, there is nothing to worry about! 

Congrats, Patty 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, land64shark said:

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

Ummmm ... I have only ever sailed in balcony or below and I certainly do not feel like a second class citizen.  I focus on what I can do and not on what I can't and I enjoy my cruises thoroughly.  I have not once thought about the areas I can't utilize, retreat would be nice but that will never happen so whatever.  I will be on the Edge in a couple weeks in another 'balcony', this time infinite for the first time and I cannot wait!

If you go into the cruise thinking this way you may end up convincing yourself of something that will taint your vacation.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Please elaborate on "...the amount of amenities/areas..." that you cannot partake in???

What are you considering "general population cabins."???

For many of us, there is no such thing as "general population" as opposed to fellow passengers, some of whom we meet and others we do not.

As for off limits to "us" who do not purchase Suite Cabins would be the Retreat/Michaels Club and Luminae...

As such, mainly two (2) areas out of the full ship... 

So not sure how you get that impression, then again you did say you did not research so it is quite understandable how you could be very mistaken in your thoughts...

Please go to X's website and take a very quick look at the ship layout to understand, somewhat, where you will be able to go and enjoy aboard... lots of places..

That way you will be very informed on what is and what is not and be versed on your ship. 

I do not sail in suites (yet) and like a few others who post here, do not as well...

Selective reads for sure... IMO

bon voyage

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, land64shark said:

When it comes to Infinity, it hasn't been revolutionized yet, so the amount of space reserved for retreat guests is quite a bit less than revolutionized or edge class ships.  The only areas you won't have access to are Michael's Club (Retreat lounge) and Luminae (Retreat restaurant).  The sundeck on deck 12 (which has been converted to a suites only area on revolutionized Millennium class ships) is open to everyone on Infinity.

You're not going to feel anything like a second-class citizen sailing in a balcony cabin.  It does seem like the suite class passengers who post here are more vocal, but that doesn't mean that there are a huge amount of people who book regular cabins on the Celebrity boards.  You'll have a great cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, poffles said:

Ummmm ... I have only ever sailed in balcony or below and I certainly do not feel like a second class citizen.  I focus on what I can do and not on what I can't and I enjoy my cruises thoroughly.  I have not once thought about the areas I can't utilize, retreat would be nice but that will never happen so whatever.  I will be on the Edge in a couple weeks in another 'balcony', this time infinite for the first time and I cannot wait!

If you go into the cruise thinking this way you may end up convincing yourself of something that will taint your vacation.

p I thought you were signed up for The Iconic Suite... LOL

Enjoy your sailing and let us know how you enjoy it...

bon voyage

• Like 2

You will be fine, there is no need to worry.

The only thing you will "miss" is the Retreat/Michaels Club, Luminae and BLU. All of these things you can easily supplement with specialty dining.

Oh yeah, a colorful key card but you could easily fix that with a permanent marker. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Although I would like to try Luminae, I was not overly impressed by Blu.  When sailing with my sister, I would try to book a balcony because she liked to sit out there and read.  But she is gone, and I seldom used the balcony.  So I book the cheapest inside.  It is sufficient for me.  The on,y suite perk I might like would be free laundry.  But since I no longer take long cruises, my one bag as Elite is fine.  EM

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Although I would like to try Luminae, I was not overly impressed by Blu.  When sailing with my sister, I would try to book a balcony because she liked to sit out there and read.  But she is gone, and I seldom used the balcony.  So I book the cheapest inside.  It is sufficient for me.  The on,y suite perk I might like would be free laundry.  But since I no longer take long cruises, my one bag as Elite is fine.  EM

Only the Royal Suites and above include free laundry, the majority of the Suites don’t have laundry as a amenity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, land64shark said:

I wouldn't even worry about these thoughts…as others have said, like other lines as well, you will have almost full access to the entire ship, phenomenal dining, world class service and a phenomenal time to celebrate your special day!

As I see it, suites typically represent less than 10% of the total number of cabins on the ship.  Having a balcony cabin will enable you to enjoy all the facilities that the other some 90% of the people onboard have access to. In addition you will also be able to watch shows and participate in social activities that even suite guests are allowed to attend. Don’t worry about it. Have fun you will love it. 

2 hours ago, land64shark said:

Oh my goodness, have no fear!! We usually cruise in 'just a balcony' and we love it. We only recently tried a suite and it, too, was wonderful.

However, we are booked on non-suites for the next 3 cruises. 

The cruise is what you make it...waste no time or wringing of hands because of various opinions and experiences here. It's a cruise!!  No answering of doors or phones, others make your food and better yet serve it to you! You don't need to vacuum anything! And on and on...just relax and enjoy!!

• Like 1

We've been on a number of cruise and prefer "just a balcony". I actually prefer an inside cabin, but my husband doesn't. I wasn't really impressed by Blu or Luminae but we've only been in a suite once so we'll have to try it again. 

We'll be on the Infinity this May and are looking forward to our "just a balcony"

31 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”

Eleanor Roosevelt

My therapist says you’re wrong.

Seriously though.  You just need to watch out for the suite passengers who spit on you as you walk past their cabin.

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, land64shark said:

We regularly sail in regular balcony cabins.  When you get on board, you guys are going to have a great time and you will feel well taken care of.  Besides, you are getting married on this cruise--you will feel anything but second class.  Congratulations, by the way.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

We always  book some type of balc,,..usually AQ Class, but have also experienced a Sunset Veranda ( EDGE) and Infinte Veranda ( EDGE),  Each one has plusses and minusses. 

Our last cruise was in a Sky Suite ( BEYOND) to use up accumulated fcc,....It was fun, but for us the value of  suite life is  not worth another try. Main perks for us were having a larger state room and priority embark and debark,,  We did not enjoy the Lumunae menu or the dining room itself,   and were happy to dine in BLU one night,  The pvt Retreat areas were nice but not that special and the pool area with a  very small dunk pool was crowded on sea days.  We enjoyed the extra attention from our Butler but at times it was a bit over the top...Some are devoted to suite life but not everyone!

In sum..we are happy going back to  AQ Class w inf  balc cabin  and BLU for Ascent.  You  should not feel deprived being in a balc cabin,,,just enjoy the cruise!

@land64shark I had these similar concerns when I began sailing with Celebrity and posted a VERY similar topic on here and members of cruise critic where 100% right...it did not matter at all what cabin we were in we loved every moment of the cruise and have only cruised with Celebrity since...inside and "just a balcony" and never have we felt uncomfortable...you will have an amazing trip! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

My therapist says you’re wrong.

Seriously though.  You just need to watch out for the suite passengers who spit on you as you walk past their cabin.

Wait, I had no idea we could do that😁 Pre Covid we sailed in Standard Balcony cabins and never felt like a second class passengers. After Covid with all we saved from not cruising for 2 years we decided to try the Retreat. You will love Celebrity no matter what class of cabin you choose.

• Like 2