The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 27th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning.  We had a brief thunderstorm last night but it still is in the 40s.    We had hoped for spring when we returned but seems like we will have another week of cool weather. 

@StLouisCruisers Congratulations on Ren's team's win!  I hope you shoulder and back pain is only temporary.  Thanks for starting us out each day! 

The only Joe I know is our President.    The meatballs look tasty @dfish but I will also pass - I am doing strict Atkins again due to diabetes like issues I had on the Volendam.   Too much enjoyment of their fabulous pastry.  I have a doctor's appointment to see if I have righted myself by diet.  

@summer slope that cocktail looks wonderful but again too sweet for me.  @cat shepard the Merlot looks like a real winner, I love Merlot - thank you for your cat memes.    

Prayers for all on our care list, thank you for doing this @JazzyV!  Prayers for the people of Ukraine, Mississippi and others damaged by those tornadoes.   

Thanks for the photos of Montreal, it looks like a beautiful city.  We were scheduled to go there on the Zaandam in 2020 but it was cancelled due to Covid.   Have a nice day! Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  One of my favourite uncles was a Joe; he was also my godfather.  We haven't been to the theatre in ages, but used to enjoy the experience of live productions.  I'm happy to say I don't scribble; I think I still have pretty good handwriting.  DH, on the other hand, has an essential tremor; some days his signature looks like a doctor's prescription pad, while on others, he can print so small I can barely read it.

We've got sunshine peeking over the houses with a clear sky, but are still having cold temps - right now we're sitting at -21C and are only expecting a high of -11.  We won't be putting away the winter coats any time soon.  Hopefully the skies will remain clear throughout the day and evening so we can see the celestial line-up.

We had fun yesterday doing our hot cross buns run; there was only 1 house that we didn't get to because they were out of town, so that left us with a dozen left over.  Guess what we're having for breakfast this morning?  I've got an appointment to get my nails done, then DH will pick me up and we're heading out of town to drop our tax information off to the woman who has done them for the past 5 years.  I've always detested accounting, and she loves it, so it's a win-win for us.

@smitty34877yes, we're over 2 thousand miles away, but think of all the wonderful scenery you'll encounter between your place and mine!  LOL

@mamaofamiI'm glad to hear your vision is starting to come back.

After we drop off our taxes, we'll stop at the grocery store and liquor store on the way home.  Note to all my Canadian Daily-ites: starting on April 1st our government is increasing the alcohol tax by 6.3%, so you might want to make a run to get a stock of Cardboardeaux.   While we're getting groceries, I plan on picking up some strawberries and fresh basil because I've decided tonight we're going to have salmon with the tomato relish from the menu suggestion of a couple of days ago.  I'll let you know how it is; we'll be having salmon, tomato/basil relish, air fryer baked baby potatoes and green beans at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those enduring Nature's wrath.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29

46 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Quebec City four times by ship.  In 2004,  we were there on the old Regal Princess doing b2b out of NYC..  In 2013 on the Veendam we were there for a total of six days as we were doing b2b roundtrips out of Boston.  Since Quebec City was the turnaround day, we had the day before and the day after the turnaround.  The difference in the crowds in August/September and October was amazing, with August/September being much less crowded.   My pictures are from the 2013 stops

In 200 , we visited Montmorency Falls, and in 2013, we visited the Basilica St. Anne de Baupre. My pictures of the Basilica are inside since  @dfish Debbie showed a picture of the outside.

Looking from the front of the church toward town

DSC00127.thumb.JPG.65150ed40e0e64ab5f95c285d09614e7.JPG

One of the pillars with the crutches and canes left by those who said they were crued

DSC00129.thumb.JPG.a0b1321297b972796aeb0b8a1bf5e040.JPG

This caught my eye and showed they were prepared for a lot of visitors and pilgrims.

DSC00122.thumb.JPG.e12c65613c353b5aee765e5f0d69fdeb.JPG

The main altar

DSC00133.thumb.JPG.d4d1aaf05dd51804ed3ec2877f1891f2.JPG

We rented a car both times in 2013.  These pictures show how uncrowded town was as we walked to the car rental agency.

DSC00106.thumb.JPG.c0cff1dc49b9fc7580fa0f9aaa4d3a4f.JPG

DSC00107.thumb.JPG.f9e303d1f4057e431017b8167414a14e.JPG

When we left the Basilica, we drove along the St. Lawrence.

DSC00147.thumb.JPG.8c448b2250b253674bb74e8dea7f00f8.JPG

DSC00149.thumb.JPG.cfb590958d34d6f20601ef440498647a.JPG

Pictures later in the day in Quebec City.  There were more people, but not near the crowds we encountered in October 2004.

DSC00160.thumb.JPG.76d7a78e7204b05cd861021de4d5683d.JPG

DSC00162.thumb.JPG.7c6629dc569732d032ac7cd3bd8caaa7.JPG

DSC00164.thumb.JPG.7327ef39279ebec103f7e035175459b4.JPG

Battle Field Park on the Plains of Abraham, and the Veendam taken from the overlook

DSC00155.thumb.JPG.2cef7a69747abc54bd3286e76ca31ea4.JPG

DSC00173.thumb.JPG.13d203cb826a2a13854a1b8aa910bfb3.JPG

One day we drove to Saguenay and another along the far side of the river to cross back at Three Rivers, before returning to Quebec City.  Along the way, we found a farmers market and stopped to look around.

DSC00455.thumb.JPG.bc38ea201cb98294e3d0493ebe1dd3b1.JPG

DSC00456.thumb.JPG.fa5e31d9b389e7772d586591302c9889.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Graham 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I saw someone mention reaching the bottom of the washer with the new large agitator less top loaders. I am only 5 ft 2 in so I use tongs. I did not like how the front loaders smelled moldy unless you kept the door open and my new laundry room does not allow for the door to be open so top loader it is. 

i never heard about the front loaders smelling moldy and am happy to hear about that before I go out today to the appliance store.  My laundry room is not very big and I will have to think twice about a front loader now.

Terri

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

For Joe Day let me introduce you to my little friend, Josephine, who made a visit to my property yesterday PM

IMG_20230327_101027646.thumb.jpg.b184c160c5f5f450817974494a0525f7.jpg

RNB, is that a true story? You found her in your yard ?!   🙀

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from sunny 60 degree MD.  Hoping to do some more work in the yard today.  I put some planters with herb seeds on my deck yesterday.  Unfortunately, I woke up to dirt scattered around the planters, probably because we are out of bird seed.

Fantastic squirrel nuts meme

Trying to plan shore excursions for our South America & Antarctica trip in January 2024. 

Has anyone used a company called the Shore Excursions Group? 

Does anyone have any specific guide recommendations if using Tours by Locals? 

We prefer nature to museums. I am specifically looking for recommendations for these ports:

• Montevideo (in port 15 hours) & Punta Del Estes, Uruguay
  • Puerto Madryn & Ushuaia (thinking Tierra del Fuego National Park), Argentina
  • Punta Arenas (in port for 12 hours) & Puerto Chacabuco & Puerto Montt, Chile (want to explore Patagonia)

I have booked tour to Volunteer Point with Adventure Falklands.

I have posted on my very quiet roll call and the South America board too.  Thank you for any insights. you may be able to provide.  

• Like 23

51 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i never heard about the front loaders smelling moldy and am happy to hear about that before I go out today to the appliance store.  My laundry room is not very big and I will have to think twice about a front loader now.

Terri

Terri,

I have had a front loader for several years and have never had a problem.  I know people have mentioned this but no one I know has this problem. 

Charlene

• Like 17

52 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

We have a front loader in a small laundry room. We just keep door slightly ajar when not in use and do a washing machine cleaning cycle once per month. No moldy smell.

Tip, these new efficient washing machines only require a tiny amount of detergent. We learned the hard way the first time and had soap suds pouring out!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

46 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

RNB, is that a true story? You found her in your yard ?!   🙀

Yes it is a true story like all my stories but with a little jam added to sweeten it up.

My neighbor texted me yesterday at 3:14 pm that there was a five foot gator in my side yard. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Has anyone used a company called the Shore Excursions Group? 

Yes. They are affiliated with AAA. Have same "return you to ship on time" policy as HAL. Gave a prompt refund when I cancelled one tour 2 weeks before sailing. They provide name of tour vendor and exactly where to meet them after you book; general location is given before you book.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Yes it is a true story like all my stories but with a little jam added to sweeten it up.

My neighbor texted me yesterday at 3:14 pm that there was a five foot gator in my side yard. 

Hope the Gator didn’t damage your White Lightning Still.

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

I've had a front loader for about 10 years now and never had a moldy smell. 

• Like 12

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Unusual days. I don't know any "Joes", I enjoy theatre, and I don't scribble (when working I was complemented on my handwriting). True quote. Maybe on the meal (sugary), drink and wine.

I think I was in Quebec once when I was growing up, but don't remember much. Thanks for the photos.

It's cloudy here, but in the 50's. I'm late today. I stayed up way too late catching up on some tv shows on my DVR, and didn't wake up early to post the Care List (I usually wake up between 5-6, post it, then fall back asleep). When I opened my eyes it was almost 9AM! I brought my suitcases down from the 3rd floor to 2nd floor this morning. I need to make sure my carry-on will meet KLM requirements.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. I'm glad you were unscathed by the storms and hope you stay safe. I hope your shoulder and back pain stays away. Congrats to Ren's team. Great photos from Quebec City.

@grapau27 I hope the knee injections next week will help. I can relate to both your knee and hip issues. I've scheduled for knee injections before my trip, but I think I'm to the point that they don't do a lot any more.

@aliaschief Thanks for the memes.

@rafinmd I like your alternative meal. Nice sunrise photo.

@cruising sister Enjoy the getaway with DSIL to Tucson.

@mamaofami Good to hear that the vision is improving in your operated eye; most people need help with reading after, if a mono-focal lens was put in.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos. 

@dfish Thank you for the recipes. I hope the drain issue is an easy fix. 

@kazu I truly hope Spring comes soon for you. 

@RedneckBob Yikes on the alligator!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Terri, our old washer was a front loader, and it could smell pretty bad at times.  Also, there were black places on the rubber seal for the door.  We used a washer cleaning tablet which got rid of the odor for a while, but did nothing about the black spots.

Lenda

• Like 15

I wasn't sure whether it was average Joe, cuppa joe, or Joe Sixpack, the friend who brings a sixpack of Bud to your elegant dinner party. The meal suggestion would be OK but I'd prefer the alternative one. No on the drink and on the wine; I don't appreciate Merlot, and there is a glut of it. I've been to Quebec City but not on a cruise.

I've had top-loading washers for years and always leave the door ajar. The new one is even more water-saving than the old one and requires even less detergent.

freebee.thumb.jpg.2a320b6df3d589f7d7cdb397b0dd3bcc.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 15

Good morning all!

It was 32F this morning when I got up but headed for the high 50's this afternoon and sunny.  I plan to set my seedlings out a few hours so they can get some sunlight, and do general gardening.  We're supposed to have sunshine and up to 60F for the next few days, yay!  Then the rain will be back...

I haven't known many Joe's, but DH does have one cousin named Joe.  I had nice handwriting at one time, but arthritis has ruined it.  I'll pass on the red wine and the drink (coconut) but love sweet and sour meatballs.  I've printed out the 2nd recipe for future use.  We've been to Quebec City 4 times on BHBs and done a few out-of-town excursions to Saint Anne Canyon, Montmerency Falls, Sainte Anne de Beaupre and other times just wandered around the town.

I never got here yesterday, we were out most of the day -- visiting the grand-kitties again and also a trek to Total Wine to replenish the wine rack.  

Debbie @dfishI hope your drain problem is an easy fix and not too costly.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersCongratulations to Ren's team!  

Tina @0106We have used Shore Excursions Group several times in Europe and just yesterday I booked a tour with them for the South Pacific.  I thought they were affiliated with the Big Box store -- in the past their website had a link to get to their excursions.  Maybe they've changed to AAA as @Cruise Suzysaid.  In any case, we've been very happy with them.  

My photos are a compilation of the 4 different times in/near Quebec City.

Of course the 3-D mural in La Place Royale

LaPlaceRoyale3-Dmural.jpg.acf0861988fcac30e29eede242b3be4a.jpg

I love the street music every visit.

QCstreetmusic.jpg.6a2f90c820b8c4b38dffe7d6b03d79ae.jpg

The funicular

QCfunicular.jpg.6ea873c0b0d403656bff86a9547b2a3b.jpg

Evening view from our ship of Hotel du Frontenac

HotelduFrontenacfromourship.jpg.a8608e759aac23241b9b74ae3149bada.jpg

One visit we walked to the Chocolate Museum.  A few items inside, all made of chocolate:

chocolateclock.jpg.6683cbf31a2dc174fcf69a05d81d49f0.jpg

chocolatemuseum.jpg.cab63e8ef8c022b46ba680fa2b0a3c7e.jpg

Another time we went to Montmerency Falls

MontmerencyFalls.jpg.15037509cf0ae0feb271cf7ccf2d3db4.jpg

Saint Anne Canyon

SaintAnneCanyon.jpg.145c64fbf0f9d81bb6c03417fdc68fa1.jpg

Zip lining across Saint Anne Canyon (not me) lol

zipliningacrosscanyon.jpg.76fd1914de3a5bac106b4d5dbcfdec91.jpg

The Shrine of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre

ShrineofSainte-Anne-de-Beaupre.jpg.5234782f093c3606acff792a62639705.jpg

A couple photos from inside

ShrineofSainte-Anne-de-Beaupreinterior.jpg.c888e3ba388b44185e6373a6e367272a.jpg

ShrineofSainte-Anne-de-Beaupreinterior2.jpg.f01ccd2da6e15c282f8a1894f01b64d8.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

@Cruise Suzy @Cruising-along Thank you for the info about the Shore Excursions Group.  I am probably going to book this tour from Puerto Chacabuco 

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/casa-penaflor/sapcpena

and this one from Ushuaia https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/tierra-del-fuego-national-park/sausfuegopark

I believe some of the Dailyites are planning the 2025 South America & Antarctic cruise.  Chime in if there is a port you are particularly looking forward to visiting.  I’m all about the penguins! 🐧🐧🐧

Just needed to add this for scribbles day5B40051C-B889-41EA-8F02-787441CFE640.jpeg.3ffbbfc71520fc5b8bc1e16dccc2b480.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 14
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

. I suggested a short getaway before my trip and her move to a new house and we are off to Tucson on Sunday. 

How fun to plan a getaway to Tucson. It’s lovely this time of year, although the mornings can be chilly. This morning it was 38F. However the forecast for Sunday is warmer. May I ask where you are staying?  (You don’t have to say though.)  

If you are interested there is a Linda McCartney photo exhibition now:

https://ccp.arizona.edu/events/3732-“-linda-mccartney-retrospective”
I haven’t been but heard it’s very good. 

Tucson has so much to offer!

• Like 19