Bringing Bottled Water on Ruby Princess - Galveston

Cruise4Jesus

I just wanted to see if anyone on the Ruby Princess out of Galveston lately knows if it is a problem carrying on bottles of water? I know the Princess site states cans but didn't know if they enforced that out Galveston. Thanks in advance for any information.

There is no justification for bringing water onto the ship. Packages include bottled water and if you don’t book a package, bottles of water can be pre-ordered at retail cost. Adding bottled water to one’s luggage load is completely unnecessary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise4Jesus said:

I just wanted to see if anyone on the Ruby Princess out of Galveston lately knows if it is a problem carrying on bottles of water? I know the Princess site states cans but didn't know if they enforced that out Galveston. Thanks in advance for any information.

I can't say for Galveston but no one seemed to care out of Ft. Lauderdale. 

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

There is no justification for bringing water onto the ship. Packages include bottled water and if you don’t book a package, bottles of water can be pre-ordered at retail cost. Adding bottled water to one’s luggage load is completely unnecessary. 

How do we request to have it brought to our cabin?  Or is it only included if we go out and about on the ship?

"How do we request to have it brought to our cabin?  Or is it only included if we go out and about on the ship? "

IF you want it delivered to your room, go to your booking. Find Onboard Services. Then Beverage packages. It will be near the bottom.

IF you have a package, walk up to any bar and ask.  They will ask your cabin number.

IF you Do NOT have a package, they will still ask, but charge you something for each bottle.

You are likely better off to buy a 12 pack or 2 for about $7.08 each than buy one at a time at a bar. 

Also, remember that the water from the sink is drinkable ! You can ask for ice for your room.  You can also get a big glass of ice from most bars and take it back to your room.

Personally, I have been bringing my own tea bags (because I drink decaf tea, and I dont like the decaf tea the ship has).  Ask for a large glass in the Horizon Court, or get one from a bar, then get a cup of hot water from Horizon Court (or ask for one), put in the tea bag, wait a bit and pour it over your ice! 

Anyway, lots of water if available for free or cheap.  You can reuse the bottles too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if there is a problem bringing your own reusable water bottle on board.  I like the glass one, mostly enclosed in silicone.  I am not allowed to bring it some places because it is glass.  Any feedback about using these on board?  

11 hours ago, theloo said:

I am wondering if there is a problem bringing your own reusable water bottle on board.  I like the glass one, mostly enclosed in silicone.  I am not allowed to bring it some places because it is glass.  Any feedback about using these on board?  

Maybe glass is not the best idea on pool deck where people run around bare footed???

• Thanks 1

We've always brought our own plastic bottles (1 liter) on board with us even after they started the nonsense of only water in cans. In Florida we've never been questioned about what's in them even when it was the only thing in the suitcase. I have to assume that security just doesn't care about what Princess wants. 

On 3/31/2023 at 9:38 PM, jeffregpuck said:

How do we request to have it brought to our cabin?  Or is it only included if we go out and about on the ship?

Cases of water must be pre-ordered ahead of sailing (there is a required time window..2 days? 1 week?  I dont recall but it will be online). It is usually in our room upon arrival, but may appear a little later in the day. 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:11 AM, JimmyVWine said:

I wouldn't exactly call it retail pricing, but it is probably about the most reasonable thing Princess has on offer considering all the price increases of late and it is MUCH more convenient than lugging heavy containers of water on board.  I save my lugging for fermented grape juice.  😎

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 3:41 AM, avonlady6390 said:

You can pre-order a 12 pack of bottle water in the cruise personalizer for 7$ that's a lot easier than lugging on board or hunting for water in cans.  If you have one of the packages bottle water is included.

Can I purchase it with OBC? I just tried and was asked for a credit card. Once final payment is made, can I use OBC? I have $850.00 and prefer not to spend cash first.

7 minutes ago, Teechur said:

Can I purchase it with OBC? I just tried and was asked for a credit card. Once final payment is made, can I use OBC? I have $850.00 and prefer not to spend cash first.

No you cannot use onboard credit to pay to order water prior to embarkation. It is only $7.08 US for a 12 pack.

15 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Cases of water must be pre-ordered ahead of sailing (there is a required time window..2 days? 1 week?  I dont recall but it will be online). It is usually in our room upon arrival, but may appear a little later in the day. 

You can order water as soon as you make final payment.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

No you cannot use onboard credit to pay to order water prior to embarkation. It is only $7.08 US for a 12 pack.

2 12-packs per cabin times 4 cabins ($56). Can I buy it onboard with OBC?

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's really hard to beat the $7.08 price for the 12 pack of water! We have one waiting for us in our cabin every cruise. 

I was at a big box store today.  40 bottles of water was $3.99.  That makes it about 10 cents a bottle.  Tax and CRV is more is almost as much as the water itself.  

Princess charges you almost 60 cents a bottle.  Still a bargain since onboard it is $2 a bottle.  

The water is quite safe to drink from the tap.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was at a big box store today.  40 bottles of water was $3.99.  That makes it about 10 cents a bottle.  Tax and CRV is more is almost as much as the water itself.  

Princess charges you almost 60 cents a bottle.  Still a bargain since onboard it is $2 a bottle.  

The water is quite safe to drink from the tap.  

Sixty cents is cheap compared to buying water at convenience stores while on excursions.

I make tea and cook with tap water here in Maui, but we still go through a 40 pack every week or two. My grandsons take a lot of it to the basketball courts and I take it as part of my lunch and on road trips.

@Teechur Hawaii has great water (until the C&C of Honolulu/maybe other counties) started to add "stuff to the water.  Still much better than the water quality in California.  

Bought two liters of water at 7-Eleven store in Japan for about a dollar US each.  Wasn't fun hauling it back.  And that is on top of the water ordered from Princess.  

My family on Oahu all use refillable water bottles.  

I'm not arguing the point about cost.  You pay for the convenience.  Water is also included in some of the beverage packages. I remember once hauling a case (24) of water back to the hotel when I was in New Orleans a long time ago.  

All of the above suggestions are for the benefit of the OP...but not sure the question has been answered:  Are you "still" allowed to bring water in bottles when you check in.  The policy says water in cans only.  Is it enforced?  When will it be enforced?  What happens if you bring bottled water and are told you can't bring it on board?

3 hours ago, Teechur said:

2 12-packs per cabin times 4 cabins ($56). Can I buy it onboard with OBC?

The $7.08 pricing is for pre-cruise purchase only and pre-cruise you cannmoy use OBC.

Although you can use OBC for onboard water purchases, it will be at the significantly higher onboard pricing.