The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 2nd, 2023

Today is Children's Book Day, National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day, and Ramadan

You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Meal Suggestion for today - Citrus Coconut Steamed Cod
Drink of the Day - Razzmatazz Truffle Martini
Wine of the Day - Laboure-Roi Chablis 1er Cru, Burgundy, France
Destination of the Day - Cherbourg (Normandy), France

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 4-04

Koningsdam

Dry Dock Vigor Ship Yard until 4/12

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 4-03

Oosterdam

Manta, Ecuador 05:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

At Sea destination St Thomas, US Virgin Islands eta 4-04

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 4-04

Zuiderdam

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 4-04

Westerdam

At Sea destination Kagoshima, Japan eta 4-04 

image.thumb.png.f6516592a96bbe2c224ba1676fd82a8a.png

image.thumb.png.ae6ebf9db9392ef7811b0a1b422f867d.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

RMLincoln’s DH recovering from eye surgery 

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital 

Seasick Sailor not feeling well

Everyone in the path of storms and tornados

Nashville school shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine/Tornado victims in Mississippi and Alabama

From the rotation:

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

Marshhawk’s abnormal lung scan, going for PET scan

Bennybear’s test results

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Bon Voyage Mister 67!

Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER!

Safe travels for cruising sister’s trip with DSIL to Tucson

Luvteaching’s DH showing improvement

Mamaofami with improved vision 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

1 Day for Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam 4/3 to 5/6)

7 Days for aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam 4/9 to 4/28)

Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Mister 67 (Celebrity Reflection to 4/9), GTVCRUISER (Norwegian Jewel to 4/9). Cruzn Single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC & JV.

It’s National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! I read that before you get out of high school you will have eaten 2000 of these sandwiches. Not me; maybe bologna sandwiches.

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Thank you Sandi for today's daily reports.

Thank you Vanessa for today's lists.

Thank you Ann, Debbie and Dixie for the food and beverage information.

We have been to Cherbourg France several times.

Our first visit was on Harmony of the seas maiden voyage May 2016 where thousands of people waved us off when leaving.

The photos are from Independence of the seas in May 2018.

Cherbourg is on our next cruise.

Best wishes to everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230402_101551.jpg

Screenshot_20230402_101440.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Today it is a rather nondescript day with partly cloudy skies, a temperature of 53F and an expected high of 71.  No rain in the forecast.  I see the ships coming into Port Everglades but it will be a little while before Nieuw Amsterdam is there.  She's following Regal Princess right now.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report information.  We will be celebrating Children's Book Day which will bring a smile to some of our faces.  I always enjoyed reading books to my children and grandchildren.  Funny how they would sometimes want the same book read to them several times at one sitting.  Also it is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day.  I had a delicious sandwich Friday for lunch.  Nice to have occasionally.  Also it is Ramadan so best wishes to those who celebrate.

The quote is the usual snarky-type comment made by Oscar Wilde.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy steamed cod.  The drink sounds a bit fancy for me, and the wine sounds expensive.  It's really not bad and I found that out by checking the name of it due to the odd "1er" in the title.  Yep, that's correct!

Prayers today to our Care list Dailyites, friends and family.  Lucky for us many are improving.  🙏  Congrats to those on the Celebration list. 🥂 I hope everyone is enjoying their cruise.  My friend is currently on Sky Princess and I got an email where she is complaining about this, that and the other.  But that is her - nothing's changed.  She expects perfection!  I hope her attitude changes soon or everything miraculously starts going her way.🙄

Our destination of the day is Cherbourg (Normandy), France.  I have not been but love hearing about everyone's visits there.  I hope you will post (or repost) your photos so here is the link to the January 5, 2022 Daily when we first had that port.

DS is flying home to Detroit in about an hour from Dallas.  DDIL and Ren are still there preparing for the Dallas Cup tournament starting tomorrow.  Ren was invited to play in it with his new team starting this summer, FC Dallas (youth league).  DS was searching for apartments for Ren and Mom, but has to get back to the University to teach Monday and Wednesday.  Busy times in that family.  That's all the news I have from my family.

Today is Palm Sunday.  I hope everyone has a Blessed and Serene Sunday.  It is still early and I take a day off exercise on this day of the week so I can go back to bed now.  Probably won't sleep but the rest will do me good.  😴

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I’d consider trying today’s meal suggestion, cod being a fish that I eat on occasion.  I have a pork roast marinating so will have that for dinner.  I do like PBJ and had one yesterday. My current favorite jam is strawberry rhubarb.  A trip to Aldi is the only errand on the agenda.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.d0e1e0d424fae252885402c813fef7c6.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 9

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A cold morning here, only 6°C (22°F), I hope the sun makes an appearance and warms us up a bit this afternoon.

Have a blessed Ramadan.  

Have a blessed Palm Sunday.

Children's books should always be celebrated.  I like PB and Jam.

I'm not sure about the quote.

I'll pass on the meal. 

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Thanks for the pictures of Cherbourg, someday we'll get there.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@MISTER 67  Bon Voyage!

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

For the record, I don't like being up this early. I woke at 5:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep.

Every day should be Children's Book Day. I usually have my PB&J without the J.

It has been Ramadan for more than a week already; Ramadan is a month in the Islamic calendar. BTW, the reason that Muslim and Jewish holidays move around, relative to the Gregorian calendar, is that the religious calendars are based on the lunar month, which is about 29.5 days, so a lunar year is shorter than the solar year. The Jewish calendar is corrected by the addition of a leap month every second or third year to keep seasonal celebrations in approximately the right season, while the Muslim calendar is not. Thus, Passover is always in the spring but Ramadan can be at any time of the year.

I don't really like coconut and I'm not sure that steaming is such a good way to cook cod. Will skip the cocktail; might like the wine but I suspect that it's beyond my budget. I haven't been to Normandy but would like to visit.

This morning I need to get to Target and hope to go as soon as I can be ready. I also need something from Staples, which is near it, but the store doesn't open until 11:00. After that, the first stage of Passover cleaning, and then a (likely tedious) online meeting at 4:00. Maybe a run to Aldi before the meeting.

notadate.jpg.5850d9ad20ab15a8f6c4c9afba9cdd91.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists. My favorite children’s book was Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel as read to me on TV by Captain Kangaroo.  Probably around the time that I would regularly have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Many of our security guards are currently observing Ramadan and not eating during the daylight hours.  I’ll be attending Palm Sunday mass in an hour.  I like today’s quote and The  Picture of Dorian Gray is on my retirement reading list.  I’ll pass on the drink and meal suggestions today.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 24

Thank you Sandi & Rich for making the Report & Daily happen! Thank you Vanessa for keeping track of all of us. 

Dawn is just starting to lighten the Eastern sky. It is already 69. Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and maybe some pool time.  I love sitting out on the deck in the evening, because it is Fawn Season! Last evening I saw this year’s twins skipping & hopping after Mom as she walked through my back yard. 

768D6424-F83E-457C-875E-C421E4306595.jpeg.f51b010ef263823f2e56cf096786f0de.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Laboure-Roi Chablis 1er Cru, Burgundy, France

Another elusive wine, but this one is from France! I used the 2018 vintage info, but could find no critic reviews of recent vintages. Consumers rate it very good - excellent. I couldn’t find any local distributors, but there were several European distributors with prices starting at $35.95. If I could convince them to ship to me, I suspect the shipping costs would double my cost. 
Distributor notes 

Pale yellow in the glass. Aromatic with a classic Chardonnay note and fine minerality. Wonderfully vinous and round with delicate honey notes and a spicy finish.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Well I fell asleep in the recliner at 7:30 woke up and went to be at nine so I definitely got enough rest. Currently 58 degrees but will climb to 78 this afternoon. Will be getting ready for Palm Sunday services and the start of Holy Week.

Need to start packing for our cruise as we have a busy schedule and the week will go fast. Probably will watch NASCAR and some basketball 

We have been to Cherbourg and will be revisiting in June when we do two back to back cruises with Azamara. Start in Barcelona on an Intensive Spain cruise and the second leg is an Intensive France cruise that starts in Bordeaux and ends in Amsterdam.

Time to get ready for church. Thanks for the report and special prayers for all who have been affected by this weeks terrible storms. 

image.jpeg.16aa4ed7608458631e88090586611dc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5a590cc65307d0aee8b07119c083aa90.jpegimage.jpeg.dc820f223bbe6f1dfb46e84a6c2f3351.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.76fa984df2d59d52921e7de6e18a7908.jpegimage.jpeg.2d53f883ad259f4193ca2d2b83f8f1f1.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 16
  • Haha 18

Good morning everyone. Last night we had heavy thunderstorms and a tornado watch. Gratitude this morning that we missed the tornado and have no damage from the wind and rain.

Today is clean up the kitchen for Passover day. We are going to a seder at a synagogue this year for the first time ever. No one has the time or energy to cook for a seder. As long as we will be together I don’t care where we will celebrate.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 31

Good morning and Happy Palm Sunday to all who celebrate.  Church service in a few hours and then baseball to take up the afternoon.  Dinner?  Definitely not quite sure yet.

Storms here last night which included 2 bouts of hail.  No damage that I can see.  Sure has been a crazy spring so far.  Prayers for all who have been negatively affected by this weather.  Prayers for all victims of gun violence but my heart breaks for the victims of the recent mass shooting in Tennessee.

Best wishes for a wonderful Sunday for all.  Thanks to all who contribute to this “happy place” on Cruise Critic.  Katherine 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Razzmatazz Truffle Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
2 parts DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part DeKuyper® Creme De Cacao Dark Liqueur
1 part Kamora® Coffee Liqueur
1 splash Half and Half

Instructions
Pour all ingredients into a mixer. Shake and strain into a martini glass.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 7.57.55 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Wishing all who celebrate a great Palm Sunday and @mamaofami a wonderful seder.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  Children's books are a very distant memory,  I have been to Cherbourg just once.  It was on my second string of cruises, way back in 2010, Crystal Serenity Athens to Rome, Wind Surf Rome to Barcelona, and a B2B short cruise Southampton to Cherbourg and back then on to New York.  An odyssey of Cunard's loyalty system has 2 yardsticks, days or voyages, whichever gives the better result.  That 2-day cruise brought me to the next level sooner, giving me a big internet discount on one of my upcoming cruises.  I thought the Wilde quote a bit strange.  I'll pass on both the cod and the PBJ (dinner tonight will be ham),  My alternative is Maple Fruit Melange and Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast as served on MS Amsterdam.  I did not start taking food photos until about 2017 so no photos from that cruise.

It was very windy last night but I see no damage except my garbage can was turned on it's side.  It will be online church today and on Easter.  I'm currently avoiding what may be crowed services but will worship in person on Maundy Thursday.

Roy

• Like 29

Good morning to all. Last night we had moaning wind and a wicked thunderstorm. The local news station has pictures this morning of it striking  the World Trade Center. Around here, the house was shaking from the wind but we are all intact. I was glad to see that Carol, @mamaofami had the storm bypass her area of NJ. The destruction from these huge storms in the South is just awful. Prayers for all who suffered during this latest storm.

I am one of those odd individuals who does not care for peanut butter. I enjoyed reading to our grandchildren when they were young and I am a little sad seeing their advanced ages (12) now. I once read “ Make  Way for Ducklings” about five times in a row. We have not been to the port and will have to make a decision about dinner.

Stay safe and Enjoy the day

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone!

It was a quiet night last night here in mid-Michigan.  DB Bill and his wife came over for dinner and Farkle as he had to work Friday night.  The storms were pretty strong where I used to live in Ohio.  I checked on all my friends and they are ok and do have power.  But, a lot of the city does not.  There is a substation that must be repaired first and then they will get to the downed lines due to trees.  What a mess down there!  

Not a lot on the agenda for today.  Right now we have blue skies, so I will do my neighborhood walk.  I may do an inspection of the grounds outside.  We have some plants sprouting up, but I don't know what they are.  We'll have to wait and see!  Once we know what we have, we can start planning on what we want to have.  

Today's meal sounds interesting to me.  I do like fish and cod is one of my favorites.  I only found two recipes that really fit the description.  Others were too far afield.  This first one steams the cod and then uses the citrus coconut as a sauce.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/citrus-coconut-steamed-cod/

citruscoconutcod1.jpg.17940c8c6f4f77ae9bde5ae74773100f.jpg

In this next one, the fish is poached in the citrus coconut juice.  I think that would make it more flavorful.  You can use the cod or any mild flavored white fish that will take on the flavors of the citrus.  https://www.myfoodom.com/product/citrus-coconut-white-fish/

citruscoconutcod2.png.92f1cf465f9542f551f716d86d0e2f5c.png

I think I'd go with #2.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good Sunday Morning Daiyites!   A lovely cool sunny day in Stone Mountain today.  Plans, well since Formula 1 is in Australia this weekend, we did not stay up to watch it live, so will pretend this morning.

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey.  More like, oh, look, a donut.  

I actually had cod last night.  We went to the Blue Ribbon Grill, because I wanted fish and chips.  The first piece of fish was so tough I had to cut it with a knife and and the second piece was perfect.   But I could have had fish and chips at the Captains and been just as happy. So no cod for dinner tonght, in fact, I have no clue what the meals are today.  I need to plan my weekly menu and grocery list.

Have been to Cherbourg 4 times when I was a kid, and it was a start from, or arrive to, because that is how we got from the  US to France when we moved there.  

My parents were avid readers.  And when we moved back from France in the early 60's  Dad had book cases built into the wall in the "den".  All of the adult books were on the top shelves, and the encyclopedias and dictionaries were on the bottom levels.  Curiosity of course took over, and I would get a ladder and get those books down and read them, so my book education was a bit backwards.  I had my golden books, but I lost interest in them, so I read books that I shouldn't which gave me the urge to read even more.  And then finally I found children's books when I was older.  Loved the Boxcar kids series, the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, and then when I was in my early twenties found Paddington and Winnie the Pooh. I wish I had memories of my parents reading to me, but if they thought i needed some attention, they would place a puzzle in front of me, and I would do the puzzle.

Top-10-Cats-Reading-Books-About-Cats-8-510x419-1.jpg?resize=600%2C492

d50c398e25991c770947fff09da9a398.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 5