What are the things you ''ALWAYS'' do on a cruise that other people dont.

DarrenM

On 4/7/2023 at 6:37 AM, Zach1213 said:

Same. I'm an avid runner and being up early to get a run in before it gets busy is a pretty regular thing for me. I then grab coffees and bring them back to the cabin where my wife is, mostly likely, still passed our and sprawled across the bed. 

Arrivals/departures, both at our origin/destination port(s) and the ports in between, is one of the reasons we always get a balcony. Nothing better than being outside, drink in hand, with just my wife, watching the goings on of the port and then watching the land slip away. 

Yes, watching the sailaway from your balcony, NOT the 'sailaway party' on the ship.  With a glass of champagne.   I strive to book an aft-facing balcony when we cruise if the ship has them.  Got one just randomly several years ago and I'm hooked.    

• Like 4

I always look for ways to do my own thing at ports and avoid ship tours as much as I possibly can. I enjoy getting around on my own and seeing and doing exactly what I want to do.

Currently I am on a cruise around Japan where a few shore excursions were included my my package. On the first one I remembered why I dislike them so much. Instead of sticking to the program, several entitled passengers started haranguing the guide to “take us to a place we can shop without needing local currency!!!” The guide demurred, saying our cruise line told her no shopping but they continued to heckle and monopolize her attention:  “Tell me where the ATM is while everyone else goes in the temple!” “I need a Western toilet, can’t use these!” “Take me to a convenience store, I need something to eat!”  

Honestly, it was a half day tour — there was a facility to change money at the port and they had time enough to shop on their own!!!!  But those 3 entitleds ruined it for the rest as the guide had to repeatedly give them special attention.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I always look for ways to do my own thing at ports and avoid ship tours as much as I possibly can. I enjoy getting around on my own and seeing and doing exactly what I want to do.

Currently I am on a cruise around Japan where a few shore excursions were included my my package. On the first one I remembered why I dislike them so much. Instead of sticking to the program, several entitled passengers started haranguing the guide to “take us to a place we can shop without needing local currency!!!” The guide demurred, saying our cruise line told her no shopping but they continued to heckle and monopolize her attention:  “Tell me where the ATM is while everyone else goes in the temple!” “I need a Western toilet, can’t use these!” “Take me to a convenience store, I need something to eat!”  

Honestly, it was a half day tour — there was a facility to change money at the port and they had time enough to shop on their own!!!!  But those 3 entitleds ruined it for the rest as the guide had to repeatedly give them special attention.

The mindless have learned that being the loudest will often get them what they want.  Since they are unable to think, they feel entitled to monopolize anyone 'in charge' ... they don't consider other participants.  Never more true than on an organized tour.  And shopping, of course, is number one on their list ... because it's truly mindless.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

The mindless have learned that being the loudest will often get them what they want.  Since they are unable to think, they feel entitled to monopolize anyone 'in charge' ... they don't consider other participants.  Never more true than on an organized tour.  And shopping, of course, is number one on their list ... because it's truly mindless.  

Shopping is up there but maybe a close second to bathroom breaks.  Every cruise sponsored excursion I've been on, the number one request seems to be where is the next bathroom.  And, of course, there will be a line or people won't have the correct coins.  But, I guess if you have to go you have to go.  

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

With a bit of research, it is usually possible to do/see things more enjoyably and less expensively on your own.  The only ship’s tour we’ve taken in the past 20 years was to Santiago de Campostella  from the port- transportation only, no stops - much easier than researching/arranging public transportation.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sea42 said:

I'm always fascinated by industrial ports.

A lot of people, including lawyers, don't know that there's an entire system of law, called admiralty law, that governs ships at sea. It is ancient and in large part international, and it differs strikingly from the domestic law that applies to other matters, although at different times and in different places (including England at one point) it has governed matters that have nothing to do with ocean-going vessels.

I hardly ever get to deal with the fascinating field of admiralty law from this landlocked location, but as a lawyer I cannot help thinking about it when I see a ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Instead of sticking to the program, several entitled passengers started haranguing the guide to “take us to a place we can shop without needing local currency!!!” The guide demurred, saying our cruise line told her no shopping but they continued to heckle and monopolize her attention:  “Tell me where the ATM is while everyone else goes in the temple!” “I need a Western toilet, can’t use these!” “Take me to a convenience store, I need something to eat!” 

What about everyone else? Everyone was supposed to be dragged along to wait while these rude people tried to shop in foreign currency?

Anyone who cannot survive three hours without food should carry food around, and should probably reconsider the wisdom of travelling by ship.

I can appreciate that some people aren't familiar with squat toilets, but my own experience with passing waste leads me to think that necessity is the mother of invention.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

With a bit of research, it is usually possible to do/see things more enjoyably and less expensively on your own.  The only ship’s tour we’ve taken in the past 20 years was to Santiago de Campostella  from the port- transportation only, no stops - much easier than researching/arranging public transportation.

I guess you missed my set up where I made it clear I don’t normally take ship shorex. However, this cruise has presented a few challenges, not least of which being we are the first cruise ship to call on many of these ports since early 2020 or even 2019 due to Japan’s long closure to tourists and particularly cruise ships. Many of us tried to set up private tours but there is a severe shortage of English speaking guides.

• 3 weeks later...

Things I do that most others don't . . . 

- Stay away from the buffets

- Use the guest self-service laundry (typically a couple of loads)

- Sneak out of the cabin early in the morning to enjoy the quiet

- Only sit around the pool at night (if there's a good movie on the big screen)

- Never learn the cruise director's name (or face)

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I guess you missed my set up where I made it clear I don’t normally take ship shorex. However, this cruise has presented a few challenges, not least of which being we are the first cruise ship to call on many of these ports since early 2020 or even 2019 due to Japan’s long closure to tourists and particularly cruise ships. Many of us tried to set up private tours but there is a severe shortage of English speaking guides.

Tell me about it.  I am trying to book private tours in Japan on a cruise that stops in some smaller ports such as Aomori and Sakaminato and finding almost no guides.  I planned a Japan trip a few years ago and pre-Covid and had to cancel the cruise and had no problems finding guides.  Now not so easy.

DON

On 4/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, Sea42 said:

I'm always fascinated by industrial ports. I love watching the ships being unload, all the activity is interesting to me. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a beautiful sail in with natural beauty but where some people dread the "ugly" industrial ports, I always look forward to them.

As I have mentioned in the past, the cargo ports.

I have fun each time we go on a NE/CAN voyage onboard the QM2 when we dock at the Black Falcon  Terminal across from there Cargo Port. Last time we docked in the last September, the whole day the activiity across the water was really alive. The trucks coming and going. These trailer boxes flying on the crane from the ship to ground and onto the truck cab. And whisk away down the dock, with the next one approaching. This took place for several hours.

The other port I enjoyed was in the Port of Panama by the Panama Canal. Same activity as above but 10 X 100 times busier than I ever saw. Several cranes and large line up of trailers approaching from many directions.

Yes I am on a cruise and vacation to enjoy but this is part of sailing to see the other parts of the harbor working. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, Zach1213 said:

Arrivals/departures, both at our origin/destination port(s) and the ports in between, is one of the reasons we always get a balcony. Nothing better than being outside, drink in hand, with just my wife, watching the goings on of the port and then watching the land slip away. 

Totally agree......

Days of the Round Cabin windows are gone and Balcony are a must. We too like the balcony not for just a particular reason for all different reasons as you said and more. Watching in an out of port, day at sea viewing the open ocean and waves, seeing other vessels at a distance, Sunrises & Sunsets.

Also sunning, reading and sleeping. Photos a must. Waving to passer-bys on small vessels along the side of the ship.

Hoping a Cocktail Party while the sea is passing by or a nice port as a back drop...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I am trying to book private tours in Japan on a cruise that stops in some smaller ports such as Aomori

If you're going to be in Aomori at cherry blossom time, highly recommend that you go to Hirosaki castle. Beautiful park full of locals having sakura-viewing parties, such as in the photo below.  I just did this as part of a private tour put together by someone on our roll call. If you need info, it is in the HAL Westerdam roll call for April 10-24.

image.thumb.png.95bc9f7468c4e209630a124818eb3c2e.png

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I have fun each time we go on a NE/CAN voyage onboard the QM2 when we dock at the Black Falcon  Terminal across from there Cargo Port. Last time we docked in the last September, the whole day the activiity across the water was really alive. The trucks coming and going. These trailer boxes flying on the crane from the ship to ground and onto the truck cab. And whisk away down the dock, with the next one approaching. This took place for several hours.

The other port I enjoyed was in the Port of Panama by the Panama Canal. Same activity as above but 10 X 100 times busier than I ever saw. Several cranes and large line up of trailers approaching from many directions.

Yes I am on a cruise and vacation to enjoy but this is part of sailing to see the other parts of the harbor working. 

Have you ever been to Callao (port for Lima, Peru)?  Spent two nights there recently on Oosterdam and watched two huge MSC container ships unload and load under the "midnight sun" of mercury vapor arc lights all night long.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Have you ever been to Callao (port for Lima, Peru)?  Spent two nights there recently on Oosterdam and watched two huge MSC container ships unload and load under the "midnight sun" of mercury vapor arc lights all night long.

Down the road from there we watched the tuna ships unloading tuna in Salaverry.  That was fascinating.  Then in Buenos Aries we watched the cargo crane operators change shift. Like this

IMG_1283.jpeg

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Oh yeah!  I love to watch all the bustle of a port, the bigger and grittier the better.  I like to get off the ship and stroll around if it's possible without getting run over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Oh yeah!  I love to watch all the bustle of a port, the bigger and grittier the better.  I like to get off the ship and stroll around if it's possible without getting run over.  

Boston Cargo Port right across from our ship last September....

(Click on for better viewing)

image.thumb.jpeg.2723702ddef1ab6593d008d0642bbd4e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.81ac6f999d341f3dd13c14a073fd05d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.382c6bed045d90b474a95933e27e1fb9.jpeg

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately we look forward being served tableside on vacations and holidays 

Hi BB,😀 there is NOTHING Unfortunate about it.........why say that? I LOVE being served as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong and/or unfortunate about it.  

• Like 4

On 4/9/2023 at 1:19 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Cynthia, wow, those folks sound like selfish idiots😧...so sorry that happened to you☹️.

I just came back from my cruise out of Athens and I went on both, ship and private tours. I know it is because I sail on a smaller vessel, the ship's excursions had much less people and we never had any issues with people asking for things not on the tour. It was really good actually.....everyone was back on the van/bus without having to wait for anyone either. I think our largest group was about 20 and I went on river boat tour on the Bophsorus with only 9 other people🙂.....made for a really good experience.

• Like 1

Wave emphatically at the dock workers. They wave back and give a little smile ( maybe they are saying look at that dumb-a## on the balcony acting like a fool).  And also, watch the port pilot jump on/off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Wave emphatically at the dock workers. They wave back and give a little smile........

When we sail into Boston for the 4th of July sailing and dock at the Black Falcon Terminal like in the photo above.

We are by a waterway that during that day, ships, vessels, sailboats, cruisers etc.. like to leisurely transit thru to see the ships docked. Many will pass slowly and look up and wave to those on balconies or the promenade deck.

I have to say that they appreciate a wave back and maybe even yell up, blast their horns, etc...

Really makes the visit festival especially when the sun goes down and their ships turn to partying, music, flashing lights.....

Looking forward to returning in 1 month and 4 days to experience again.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, MississippiMom said:

Things I do that most others don't . . . 

- Stay away from the buffets

- Use the guest self-service laundry (typically a couple of loads)

- Sneak out of the cabin early in the morning to enjoy the quiet

- Only sit around the pool at night (if there's a good movie on the big screen)

- Never learn the cruise director's name (or face)

Of all the posts, I think a couple of your items come closest to things others don't do.  Or, as you say, most others don't do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1