Celebrity cancelled my Alaska cruise!

JayBird7

Celebrity unilaterally cancelled my Alaska cruise 204 days after I paid the initial deposit. Claims to have oversold. Oversold? 204 days after receipt of payment? Smells like rotten salmon or worse. Lost bucket list. Lost dream. Horrible Celebrity PR. Travel agent tried everything, Explored everything. Could never get to the basis of cancellation. Celebrity of course referred me back to agent who was dumbstruck by it all. Refund is slowly being processed. Wife and myself still in state of shock and depression. All faith in Celebrity destroyed. Never able to see ship, see cabins, taste foods, drink libations, go on excursions or anything else. This is a nightmare.

If your TA cannot suggest alternatives, time for you to get a new TA.  Celebrity usually offers to move people to other cruises at the same price, too.  Something doesn't sound right.  When is this cruise supposed to sail?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did you ever get a confirmation from Celebrity after your deposit?  Maybe they never got your deposit? Did you pay your agent and trust them to process the deposit? It is very hard to believe you had a confirmed cabin and then had it go missing.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Welcome to Cruise Critic. While the situation is unfortunate and most people will agree that it would be a huge letdown, you should have time to salvage your vacation.

What was the original ship/sail date? With so many ships sailing in Alaska this season there should be a replacement cruise among all other cruise lines that will be an aceptable replacement. 

• Like 2

Well this is the first that I have heard of Celebrity doing this.  

Yes we have heard of Celebrity repricing cruises or "claiming" that they mispriced them.

Did you get a good deal on the cruise?  Is this why Celebrity is backing out?

Perhaps look at HAL who does Glacier Bay ...

Edited by NMTraveller

Will Celebrity reimburse you for your costs?  If it was me I would have hotels and airlines with change fees to be reimbursed by Celebrity.  It would seem like Celebrity should bear the costs.

At the very least Celebrity should reimburse you for your change fees to something else.  I fully understand if you book another cruise line.

We have threads on this board where Celebrity did not honor the original price booked.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayBird7 said:

Celebrity unilaterally cancelled my Alaska cruise 204 days after I paid the initial deposit. Claims to have oversold. Oversold? 204 days after receipt of payment? Smells like rotten salmon or worse. Lost bucket list. Lost dream. Horrible Celebrity PR. Travel agent tried everything, Explored everything. Could never get to the basis of cancellation. Celebrity of course referred me back to agent who was dumbstruck by it all. Refund is slowly being processed. Wife and myself still in state of shock and depression. All faith in Celebrity destroyed. Never able to see ship, see cabins, taste foods, drink libations, go on excursions or anything else. This is a nightmare.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Something does not seem right.  Can you provide us the ship and date for your cancelled cruise?  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.  there may be an error of some sort.

1 minute ago, WestLakeGirl said:

The OP is making it look like the cruise was paid in full 204 days ahead of time but that seems very wrong, so I am guessing that was when the deposit was made.  We really need more information and hope that OP comes back soon

I would really like to see ship, sailing date, and cabin number assigned before I give much credence to this story. Looks like pure Sunday evening trolling for entertainment…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

The OP is making it look like the cruise was paid in full 204 days ahead of time

I read it as deposited only.  That said, for Alaska, many (most, all?) final payment dates have come and gone.  Absent more deets from OP, it's all speculation.

2 hours ago, JayBird7 said:

All faith in Celebrity destroyed

Very disappointing for sure although this seems a little melodramatic. Book another cruise!  There is a great deal of cruise competition for Alaska. Find another and make lemonade out of the lemons you’ve been dealt. 

• Like 2

No point in discussing as do not have date of reservation, deposit and the date of the cruise.  

The language feels wrong.  A lost dream!  Never able to see the ship!  Really. Every Celebrity ship makes multiple Alaska cruises with the identical itinerary. 

Absent hearing more from the OP, I agree with others.

PS the OP joined in 2022 and has made exactly 1 post.  Will we hear back with details?

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1