Is conch safe to eat a 2023 answer

Annicruise2014

I read somewhere that it is not safe to eat conch, but that article turned out to be from 2016.  

Then I read don't eat raw conch as it may have a bacteria, gastrointestinal issues.

But then the conch salad is a must try.

So, which is it? Raw verses fried, or boiled or ?

A current answer is what I am looking for LOL.

Like any other shellfish, the quality of the water from which the shellfish is harvested, the temperature of the water from which it is harvested, and sanitary conditions under which the  food is prepared is important.

To avoid the problem with illness from Vibrio parahaemolyticus and vulnifcus, waters from which shellfish are harvested should be below 60 F.

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I had to google what conch was.......its definitely a no from me. 🤣

Not much help really on this thread sorry 🤷

So why did you waste our time with a meaningless comment?

• Like 2

When I was in my late teens and 20-something, I used to go to Eleuthra often (my dad was a golf pro there) and I'd go out with the locals, dive for Conch, bring them up to the boat, get the animal out of the shell, cut them in strips, the locals put some very hot pea-sized peppers and other juices on them and we'd eat them while they were still squirming.  Go down and do it again over and over again.  I <SMH> I <SMH> I <SMH> suffer no ill effeeeeeeects <SMH>.  

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 2:49 PM, smokeybandit said:

Not too many conchs in waters below 60F

Yes, you are correct.

I gave the lower  temperature under which Vibrio will not grow. 

The best growth occurs above 70 F which is a problem with waters of the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean and Atlantic during the warmer months.

Like any other shellfish, it is best to know the waters from which it is harvested and the conditions under which it is held, processed and prepared.

Would I eat conch salad from push cart vendor? Not at any time of the year.

Would I eat conch salad in the Bahamas during colder Atlantic water months at a food establishment with refrigeration, running water and trained kitchen staff? Yes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

What does it taste like? 

Tastes like Chicken!  LOL.  

Seriously, I didn't actually find that it had any flavor other than the spices and lime juice put on it.

BTW:  It was a one-and-done for me.  Didn't do a thing to make me want more.

Edited by Ret MP

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I ate conch for 20 years while I lived in the Keys and I'm still alive.  Just sayn'.  😉

Herbie's (Marathon) used to have a conch dish with a slice of conch pounded thin, lightly grilled with a cheese on top.

So good - my go to if I wasn't having a hamburger.

Looks like that specialty of the house conch dish is no longer on the menu.

I too have been eating conch in the Bahamas for 20+ years...no issues. I have tried it every way you possibly can. I enjoy conch salad the best vs. fried conch but would eat the conch strips over the hush puppy version. I would not waste my time eating it in Florida (except the Keys) as it is usually frozen and tastes like crap. Long story short, it is a Bahamian thing...and worth a try eating it fresh...however don't blame me if you wind up with some kind of colon blowout...

On 4/21/2023 at 3:13 PM, twangster said:

Had some in a land restaurant this week.  Hope it's safe. 

The first symptom of Conch Poisoning is posting on Cruise Social Media sites.  The Second is desiring to cruise obsessively. The symptoms have been known to switch from second to first at times.  THE CURE:  Cruise!

• Like 1

I had conch salad over Thanksgiving weekend 2022 in Nassau Bahamas from one of the vendors at Fish Fry Street. It was delicious. He made it fresh and served a huge portion. I didn't get sick.