Are jeans acceptable in the main dining room during an Alaska cruise?

thermal

I'm packing for an Alaska cruise and when adding fleece tops, rain gear, layers etc, space in the suitcase will be tight.  

My understanding is that dress codes are often more relaxed on Alaska cruises, as people need to dress for the weather.  Would jeans (for men) be acceptable attire in the main dining room?   

Thank you

• Like 1

I wore jeans every night on our Alaskan cruise last August. as long as they are nice looking I have never been turned away. I didn't want to over pack either, airlines really get you for checked bags 🤣.  

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thermal said:

I'm packing for an Alaska cruise and when adding fleece tops, rain gear, layers etc, space in the suitcase will be tight.  

My understanding is that dress codes are often more relaxed on Alaska cruises, as people need to dress for the weather.  Would jeans (for men) be acceptable attire in the main dining room?   

Thank you

Nice jeans are welcome ANY night of the cruise.  No tears or rips.  They are my daily wear staple with a tshirt, then switch to a nice top for dinner wear.   Makes Alaska cruises easy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

YES no matter what anyone else posts.

Hahaha!  Yes, you can wear your jeans.  I don't think Alaskan cruises are any more casual than any others.  I've done 30-ish Princess cruises, and I have not noticed not-Alaska cruises to be any more formal than any other.   (Formal night--or whatever they call it  now--isn't particularly formal anymore either.)

• Like 2

Jeans have long been acceptable on any Princess cruise for many years and lately even on formal nights (think black) in the DR. 

I would be more concerned about bringing clothing more suited for wet weather. 

• Like 1

Wow I have never seen seen everyone responding to this question in total agreement!  I will join...yes although I would likely wear black pants and a nice top on formal night if we go to the dining room my husband has been known to wear dark jeans and a nicer shirt in the dining room on the AK (and other US based) cruises. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

43 minutes ago, nini said:

However, we have witnessed people turned away at night for wearing shorts and/ or flip flops. This includes Alaska.

Was not even asked about by anyone. However.

Edited by Potstech

Yes, Alaska cruises are the most casual of any destination. People tour outdoors in the cold all day and either don’t have time to change or simply want to stay comfy and cozy in their jeans for dinner. Some people will naturally still get dressed up, but you won’t be out of place.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Was not even asked about by anyone. However.

I am sorry you wasted your time with my comment. I felt it was relevant due to the nature of the degree of "casualness" on Alaska/ Princess.

Regardless, I do not think this would have been a first for a topic to go wild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Princess clearly states it's standards for dress. Princess has not lowered those standards but a FEW cruisers have lowered theirs.

Wearing jeans in the MDR is permissible according to the standards of dress suggested by Princess in their writtings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Princess clearly states it's standards for dress. Princess has not lowered those standards but a FEW cruisers have lowered theirs.

Some have even raised theirs but thankfully Princess doesn't seem to care one way or the other. 

On 4/22/2023 at 11:12 PM, thermal said:

Thank you

Neither of us wear jeans on board. That being said as long as they are not torn or have holes you should be fine, A pair of nice black jeans & white shirt( with or not with a vest & or tie) would look fine & cover you well for formal nights

• Like 1