What's the one thing I'm going to forget to bring?

mooline

Lactaid and other tummy meds to deal with the rich food.

Bobby pins and small hair ties. I ended up putting some in my travel toiletries bag cause I was always forgetting them/not bringing enough. My hair is curly and down to mid thigh, and I really have to make sure I have it under control with the wind on a cruise ship. 

Floaty security straps for your glasses/sunglasses. 

• Like 1

I'd love to respond to every post, since all of these suggestions are fantastic!

Kindness is a motto in our family - we know everyone is fighting a battle, and those who care for us (when we travel or otherwise) are to be treated with utmost respect. Working on a cruise ship (especially) is anything but easy.

Hoping to do carry-ons only, but we know we want to buy a few things (we're not big shoppers, though) so we might check a bag to be able to have room for acquired stuff.

Yes, I'm a Type A so I already have a packing list, and am updating it regularly - ziplock bags are on the list.

Device chargers, extra glasses, hairbrush, toiletries, toothpaste, some first aid supplies are always in my travel bag. Saline nasal spray will be added!

Melatonin is a definite, even for the kiddos, though that said, when I've traveled to Europe, the westbound trip wasn't a tough adjustment, but the eastbound was. I'm expecting a more difficult adjustment on the way home versus the way to Hawaii, but we'll see...

Love the extension cord - yes, that goes on the packing list tonight. As does BioFreeze, since we're doing a few hikes and some kayaking..kayaking with a 6 year old... :0 (Someone is going to get wet for sure...)

Thanks for the tip on clothing, pretty much what I expected, but will the guys need long pants and collared shirts for the Liberty MDR? I heard a yes on that from a travel video but not sure it's true?

Sunscreen...is it crazy expensive in the ABC stores? I'd rather buy than lug, as we'll have almost 2 full days in HNL before boarding the ship.

Anything to add, given that we have 2 kiddos coming along, ages 6 and 11, who are first time cruisers?

Edited by mooline

Just now, Cruisercl said:

I always bring some post it notes and a pen. The staterooms no longer have paper or pens.

Safe travels!

Ah yes, thanks! I’ve always brought those on my trips, but hadn’t thought about that for this adventure. Updating the packing list!

I must be in the minority when it comes to this type of question. Or maybe I am just a minimalist but so many of the things mentioned on here? I never bring  them.  As for the pen and paper, that would depend on the cruise line.........every cruise I have taken over the last 7 years has had a pen and multiple sheets of paper in the cabin.

And I am just not a "list person" so that is something not on my radar. I sail solo so its not like I have a family who needs assistance with "what to bring".  I have been cruising for 20 years and I guess I have just been good with what I bring and what I don't.   I must be a type B because if I leave something home? Oh well, if it is something important? I will find it, buy it, or whatever while I am away.......but I am not anal about if I forgot something.  The most important  things that are a "must have" for me are my meds and I don't need a list for them. They are on the counter here at home and I use a pill box for them when I travel/cruise.

• Like 1

Hmmm... looking at some of the (great) suggestions made me think - we have one of those cooling towels - wet it and use it cool off. We have a couple of hikes planned - yes or no on the towel?

On 5/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, skatie said:

extra sunscreen!  So expensive on ship or in Hawaii.  

I would like to add, reef safe sunscreen.  No need to kill more coral than we already have.

As for what we don't want to forget is earplugs.  Great for deadening the sound of people talking in the hall at midnight and for loud bands.  One of the best bands that I have heard on a cruise was a Filipino band called Blood Power.  Fantastic band, but they would make your ears bleed.

Edited by clackey
Add info.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mooline said:

Hmmm... looking at some of the (great) suggestions made me think - we have one of those cooling towels - wet it and use it cool off. We have a couple of hikes planned - yes or no on the towel?

I bring mine if going on a warm weather cruise but I'm from Ireland and suffer from heat rash. I can't deal with hot AND humid at all. You know your own heat & exertion tolerances best. 

• Like 1

I think having a packing list that is regularly updated is a very good thing. We've done that for many, many years. The trick is not getting blasé about it. Check off each item ONLY as you put it into the bag. DH managed to leave BOTH of his swim trunks sitting on the bedroom chair on our last trip. So time and too much money spent buying a pair once the omission was discovered. Make a list and check it twice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

I think having a packing list that is regularly updated is a very good thing. We've done that for many, many years. The trick is not getting blasé about it. Check off each item ONLY as you put it into the bag. DH managed to leave BOTH of his swim trunks sitting on the bedroom chair on our last trip. So time and too much money spent buying a pair once the omission was discovered. Make a list and check it twice.

Sounds good. but I can't imagine myself putting everything on a list.  Personally I've never used any kind of list and have yet to experience any catastrophes.  I don't bring duct tape, post-its, magnetic hooks, or shoe hangers or any of that stuff either.  I do count the number of days so I know who much to pack.  That is about as close to making a list as I come.  

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 6:55 PM, clackey said:

I would like to add, reef safe sunscreen.  No need to kill more coral than we already have. 

Yes!  I, literally, had this discussion with my brother this week.  He and, at least, one of his children will wind up snorkeling when we are in port in Cozumel.  Do a quick internet search on the recommended brands.  We live nowhere near an ocean, but our local Target carries both Blue Lizard and Sun Bum that are reef-friendly, per state of Hawaii guidelines.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:01 AM, mooline said:

Sunscreen...is it crazy expensive in the ABC stores? I'd rather buy than lug, as we'll have almost 2 full days in HNL before boarding the ship.

I'd recommend bringing at least one bottle/can with you if you are checking a bag. Places like hawaii have premium rices compared to the mainland for things like that due to import costs. Also you want to make sure it's one that works on your skin. I have a hard time getting one that works on my skin and doesn't make me itchy all day. Similar for after sun, I'd also recommend a few sheet masks for your faces to help recovery from excessive sun and dehydration. The watermelon one from sephora was my go-to until they changed the formula and added Aloe. I have the fun of being violently allergic to aloe vera which tends to influence me towards bringing all toiletries with me and I even make sure I've enough to keep me going for a couple of days in my carry-on. That last is a policy I took after having to hunt for moisturiser in Bangkok that did not contain a bleaching agent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once forgot a pile of white cotton socks, which were still sleeping on a white cotton sheet when we returned...

I've forgotten my hair brush on the final morning, and left my deodorant in the hotel bathroom...