Which premium cruise line (X, HAL, PCL) offers best value for money

mhlcanada

I like Celebrity for modern decor, more refined food presentation and broad entertainment but I think it is priciest of the 3 lines, so value for money, I tend to favour HAL.  Interested in learning other viewpoints.

I think it varies within each line.  For instance, read the latest live from threads on HAL board and you will find they seem to be concentrating their assets/attractions on the newest ships.  EM

I wouldn't consider any of these 3 to be "Premium". I just consider these as cruise lines for the mass market. Same class as Royal, NCL, Princess, Disney, and to an extent Carnival. Some may be pricier than others and have a different target demographic, but Premium? Nope.

Silver Seas, Regent Seven Seas, Cunard on the other hand

• Like 6

• Carnival, NCL, MSC, -- Mass market/often called "Family" or "Budget" lines
  • (RCL sort of between the category above and below)
  • Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard -- Mass market lines (higher end)
  • Azamara, Oceania, Viking -- Premium lines
  • Silversea, Regent, Seabourn -- Luxury lines
  • Like 6

I agree with cruisemom’s assessment of lines.  
We like the smaller ships.  They don’t appeal so much to families because of cost and the lack of activities that cater to younger passengers.  

It can be debated if you get value on the Luxury brands, but if you take into account buying drinks and tours you may find that headline price on the higher end lines  increases quite a bit.  

• Like 1

I agree with the groupings of the cruise lines.  Luxury is your Silver Seas, Regent and in between the higher end big ships like HAL and the Luxury is Oceania, Azamara etc. you need to compare apples to apples. For a similar itinerary and room, age of ship and just compare base price, wonder which of X, HAL, PCL is cheapest? I think X is the higher of the 3.

2 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

We like the smaller ships.  They don’t appeal so much to families because of cost and the lack of activities that cater to younger passengers.  

It can be debated if you get value on the Luxury brands, but if you take into account buying drinks and tours you may find that headline price on the higher end lines  increases quite a bit.  

Of course it does. And don’t forget the airfare you need to add on the mass market lines - particularly if you’re trip is intercontinental. When one does the true comparative “bottom line,” the results can be quite surprising.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mhlcanada said:

I like Celebrity for modern decor, more refined food presentation and broad entertainment but I think it is priciest of the 3 lines, so value for money, I tend to favour HAL.  Interested in learning other viewpoints.

Don't let the others beat you up over their opinions of cruise line classifications.  There is no standard verbiage these days and according to some sites, your classifications are correct.  

Anyways, to answer your question, I've cruised all 3 of those lines several times and Celebrity has consistently been my favorite for the same reasons you mentioned.  And yes, my HAL choices were due to significantly lower costs, even on a brand-new ship.  

Princess is just sorta average to me.  I like them but nothing really stands out as special or unique.  What I do not like about them is their small standard cabins.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Don't let the others beat you up over their opinions of cruise line classifications.  There is no standard verbiage these days and according to some sites, your classifications are correct.  

Anyways, to answer your question, I've cruised all 3 of those lines several times and Celebrity has consistently been my favorite for the same reasons you mentioned.  And yes, my HAL choices were due to significantly lower costs, even on a brand-new ship.  

Princess is just sorta average to me.  I like them but nothing really stands out as special or unique.  What I do not like about them is their small standard cabins.  

This is how I feel about Princess too…standard balcony is a bit small, room decor less modern (still shower curtains) but price is attractive.  If Celebrity is not materially more, that would be my first choice, then HAL and last Princess (comparing Celebrity Edge class to HAL Pinnacle and Princess Royal class).  

• Like 1

Never been on HAL.   I always was under the impression it was similar to Princess.   I have been on Princess and Celebrity.  I would consider them as pretty close but if I had no choice by to rank them, I would also select Celebrity.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mhlcanada said:

Best value among these three? It's difficult for me to choose. Celebrity has better food. HAL has some appealing itineraries. Princess knows they can hook me any time they offer an 80s themed cruise.

If you mention this “premium” comment (in the thread title), to any of the thousands of former X, HAL and Princess regulars who finally “jumped ship” and moved up to either of the true “premium” lines (Oceania and pre-takeover Azamara [according to Travel Writers in Condé Nast and similar publications]) and then never looked back, you’ll find them ROTFL!!!

22 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've been on X and HAL and would say they are roughly comparable.

But I would take MSC Yacht Club over either of them.

Celebrity edge suites are very close to MSc yacht club.

• Like 1

I cruise for exotic itineraries. HAL offers the best itineraries out of the 3 you mentioned. So for me, HAL offers the best bang for the buck. Celebrity sometimes offer similar itineraries, but they're not as good. 

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Maybe so, I've never been in a Celebrity Edge suite.  How close are they in price?

Always depends but MSc yacht club is cheaper , many people prefer celebrity suite restaurant, outdoor area is really nice but more crowded than yacht club .

On 5/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, StollyBolly said:

Every time I see something about a new mega ship rolling out I say "yay....more room on the smaller ships for us!"

• Like 2