New England and Canada

SC LTC

Since we live here, of course NYC....

Because we like the number of Days At Sea to enjoy the view and also activities you lose when in port before arriving at the Port of Call for the trip.

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Since we live here, of course NYC....

Because we like the number of Days At Sea to enjoy the view and also activities you lose when in port before arriving at the Port of Call for the trip.

This would be my first cruise to New England and Canada, I’m in California looking for the easiest port to depart from?

9 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

This would be my first cruise to New England and Canada, I’m in California looking for the easiest port to depart from?

We’re in SF and get double duty out of cruises from/to the eastern seaboard (in fact, doing a 3 week SF-NY cruise this summer on Oceania). We always add several land days in NY to Broadway Binge and eat our way across The City. 
That said, we do whatever we can to avoid Florida ports like Miami since “there’s just no there there.”

Our Port of NYC has a number of Lines that offer sailings in the Fall to NE/CAN,

Our particular line is Cunard with the QM2. We visited Halifax, Boston, Sydney, Sept Iles, Sagnarney and we stayed in Quebec for three days on the ship.

Some also go to Bar Harbor, Cornerbrook, Portland to name a few.

Do you research. I know many we know like to do a day or two at the Departure Port to tour and then take the cruise.

Good Luck on your decision.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’re in SF and get double duty out of cruises from/to the eastern seaboard (in fact, doing a 3 week SF-NY cruise this summer on Oceania). We always add several land days in NY to Broadway Binge and eat our way across The City. 
That said, we do whatever we can to avoid Florida ports like Miami since “there’s just no there there.”

As a point of view, I don't think of considering a Florida port since the fuel cost to the north is very expensive. I know NYC and Boston have sailings.

I’ll be boarding Holland America going out of Boston in two weeks.  This cruise will go to Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec City and Montreal. I’ve sailed out of Boston once before and the cruise terminal was well managed and, of course, Boston is a wonderful city to visit pre-cruise. 

Good luck with your decision and I hope you love your cruise!

You might also want to consider the Port of Baltimore, with BWI as the airport.  Royal Carib does 9-night sailings to Canada/New England, currently on Vision of the Seas.  Usually five ports, and three sea days.  Carnival also sails out of Baltimore.

Do you have a preferred cruiseline?

We’ve done Miami to Montreal and Montreal to Boston.  I loved them both.  The second was a little exciting as we ended up avoiding a hurricane that pushed up the eastern seaboard causing a couple of changes in the itinerary.  But the Seabourn captain was fabulous and I never felt unsafe.  Flying in and out of all the locations was easy since we use DFW.   I would suggest find the ship and itinerary that suits you.  Being in So Cal I would think non stop service would be good.

Bon Voyage!

We've sailed from Cape Liberty and will be sailing again this Oct 5th. onboard RCI Liberty. A great itinerary that will still include Bar Harbor...next year it won't.

We're also in California and find that flying into EWR and staying in the Elizabeth New Jersey area...lot's of hotels on International Blvd...we like the Hampton Inn couldn't be easier.

Looking forward to October.

Depends on where you want to visit

Montreal is worth an extra day or 2  before the cruise  as is Quebec City 

Or  other USA ports  might be interesting to you as well

Go for the itinerary

Boston is a wonderful city to visit, the port is close to the airport, if that is a criteria (not for us, coming from the West Coast, have to fly in the day before, minimum), there is a hotel or two within easy walking distance of the port.

The only negative is the port doesn't handle disembarking well. The taxi coverage is horrible. Overall, disembarking is a cluster due to the physical plant.

Since we live in New Mexico, we have to fly to any cruise port. We flew into New York a couple of days before we sailed in order to sightsee, as we hadn't been there before. Now I wish we had gone in at least three days before.

This was on Princess in October 2022; this cruise was originally booked for October 2020, but we all know what happened to those cruises.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

We've sailed from Cape Liberty and will be sailing again this Oct 5th. onboard RCI Liberty. A great itinerary that will still include Bar Harbor...next year it won't.

We're also in California and find that flying into EWR and staying in the Elizabeth New Jersey area...lot's of hotels on International Blvd...we like the Hampton Inn couldn't be easier.

Looking forward to October.

Thanks for the info will look into that itinerary for October 2024

• Like 1

We’ve sailed north from Norfolk and from Baltimore, Baltimore is pretty smooth embarkation. But wherever you sail from, don’t miss Quebec City, a really lovely town, an UNESCO World Heritage site, and have lunch in the Frontenac Hotel, save time to explore its exhibits. You can get an Uber either from or to the airport from the cruise port area. 

2 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

We are doing B2B out of Cape Liberty NJ on RC Jewel of the Seas beginning September 28, 2023.

B2B because I avoid flying whenever I can cruise instead.

1. CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO) 
  2. Cruising
  3. HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA 
  4. SYDNEY, NOVA SCOTIA 
  5. CHARLOTTETOWN, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND 
  6. Cruising
  7. CORNER BROOK, NEWFOUNDLAND 
  8. Cruising
  9. SEPT-ILES, QUEBEC, CANADA 
  10. SAGUENAY (QUEBEC), CANADA 
  11. QUEBEC CITY, QUEBEC 
  12. QUEBEC CITY, QUEBEC

8 hours ago, SC LTC said:

Anyone that has sailed on this [New England and Canada] cruise, what’s the best port to sail from?

There are two common New England and Canada cruise itineraries. One is a round-trip cruise from a northeastern United States port; the other is a one-way cruise between a northeastern United States port and either Québec or Montréal.

The northeastern United States ports most frequently used are Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Bayonne, and Baltimore (lots of "B" ports!). Most cruises are in autumn (September and October), and if you're planning to travel at that time, all of these ports will be available for a variety of specific itineraries. In that case, your choice of departure port is largely determined by the ease of traveling to that port, and by the amount of time it takes to sail between that departure port and New England and Canada. By departing from Boston, the greatest proportion of the total cruise will be in New England and Canada, the opposite being true for departing from Baltimore. Earlier in the season--in summer--there are many fewer cruises available, nearly all of which sail from Boston, and in the case of one-way cruises, also from Montréal. Based on the overall number of cruise options, departures from Boston provide the greatest choice.

There are also a handful of other cruises, including those using small vessels, that may visit more obscure ports, and so if you're interested in these types of cruises you'll largely be retained by the limited number of available cruises and not have much of a choice of departure port.

15 hours ago, GTJ said:

There are two common New England and Canada cruise itineraries. One is a round-trip cruise from a northeastern United States port; the other is a one-way cruise between a northeastern United States port and either Québec or Montréal.

The northeastern United States ports most frequently used are Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Bayonne, and Baltimore (lots of "B" ports!). Most cruises are in autumn (September and October), and if you're planning to travel at that time, all of these ports will be available for a variety of specific itineraries. In that case, your choice of departure port is largely determined by the ease of traveling to that port, and by the amount of time it takes to sail between that departure port and New England and Canada. By departing from Boston, the greatest proportion of the total cruise will be in New England and Canada, the opposite being true for departing from Baltimore. Earlier in the season--in summer--there are many fewer cruises available, nearly all of which sail from Boston, and in the case of one-way cruises, also from Montréal. Based on the overall number of cruise options, departures from Boston provide the greatest choice.

There are also a handful of other cruises, including those using small vessels, that may visit more obscure ports, and so if you're interested in these types of cruises you'll largely be retained by the limited number of available cruises and not have much of a choice of departure port.

Thank you for your info 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering two cruises for fall , one from Boston and one from Bayonne. which one would be the easiest for wheel chair user. Both iternaries are great and just want the one that would be easiest. This would be our first time sailing with a wheel chair any help woul be appreciates.

1 hour ago, ck451320 said:

I am considering two cruises for fall, one from Boston and one from Bayonne. Which one would be the easiest for wheel chair user.

I think that the question you're asking is which passenger terminal has greater accessibility for persons with disabilities who use wheelchairs: Bayonne or Boston?

I think Bayonne is easier. In Bayonne it's much easier to be dropped off to enter the terminal. You'll also take an elevator from the terminal to get to the gangway to board the ship. In Boston you go up a ramp from street level to board the ship. Depending on the tide, the ramp can be very steep.. it's more difficult for the person pushing the wheel chair.