Manfredis

gailellen12

19 hours ago, May B said:

Why? The NY strip is definitely not the only thing on the menu.

Actually, I think I saw a post with a photo of the osso bucco, which looks great. That’s what I’ll probably have, unless there’s a fish that is one of my faves.

Actually, when I looked back at the menu, I saw Dover sole, which I like very much. I hope it isn’t overpoweringly lemon-y. Does anybody know?

Plus, at the Grill, I think there was Ahi tuna that I had one night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Actually, when I looked back at the menu, I saw Dover sole, which I like very much. I hope it isn’t overpoweringly lemon-y. Does anybody know?

Plus, at the Grill, I think there was Ahi tuna that I had one night.

I have had the Dover Sole. They debone it at table side. I liked it. I did not think it was too lemon-y. Viking does seafood very well. I love all kinds of seafood, except oysters. I even like the herring for breakfast at Mamsen deli.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I have had the Dover Sole. They debone it at table side. I liked it. I did not think it was too lemon-y. Viking does seafood very well. I love all kinds of seafood, except oysters. I even like the herring for breakfast at Mamsen deli.😀

Pickled herring? How did I miss that?

17 hours ago, duquephart said:

Lowered standards - not a good sign. Steaks that can not be eaten should not be offered or served.

I’m surprised by all the Viking steak haters here.

On Sea in March and on Sea now, I’ve had the rib eye in Manfredis several times and it has always been delicious  and perfectly done medium rare.  It’s not thin at all. A half order is too much for me.

Maybe it varies from ship to ship. 😊

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, millybess said:

I’m surprised by all the Viking steak haters here.

On Sea in March and on Sea now, I’ve had the rib eye in Manfredis several times and it has always been delicious  and perfectly done medium rare.  It’s not thin at all. A half order is too much for me.

Maybe it varies from ship to ship. 😊

I'm sure lots of folks have gotten excellent steaks in Manfredi's. I'm just not among them.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, WanderingBrit said:

It’s too early for anyone to be able to make reservations for anything. All dining is included in your cruise fare, but Manfredis and The Chef’s Table require reservations.

Your cruise contract should tell you the date when you can make dining reservations, and when shore excursions are available to book.

And is online at myvikingjourney.com

I have had very mixed results ordering that steak at Manfredi’s.  The first time, it was delicious but subsequently it was mediocre.  Still, I will try again in our upcoming cruise. 🤞

Our recent experiences at Manfredi’s, post pandemic, have been a mixed bag in general.

Edited by slewis7
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

I have had very mixed results ordering that steak at Manfredi’s.  The first time, it was delicious but subsequently it was mediocre.  Still, I will try again in our upcoming cruise. 🤞

Our recent experiences at Manfredi’s, post pandemic, have been a mixed bag in general.

We had the same experience on our May  '23 BIE cruise.  We went to Manfredi's twice: the first time, the steak was excellent; the second time, it was thin, fatty and overcooked. 

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Pickled herring? How did I miss that?

Yes, pickled herring and some in cream sauce. Three varieties .

I had it along with the waffle.

And for lunch you can order liverposti! Hot with bacon on top. YUM!

Cannot wait to begin eating some good Scandinavian food in Stockholm, on our cruise ,and then in Copenhagen. 

• Like 1

Looks like I need to pay better attention next time. Pickled herring is one of mankind's greatest inventions. Had some excellent in Aalborg! Also on great breakfast buffets in Oslo and Bergen hotels when we were stranded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slewis7 said:

I've also gone the "try again" route. But, you know what they say about insanity.

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Yes, pickled herring and some in cream sauce. Three varieties .

I had it along with the waffle.

And for lunch you can order liverposti! Hot with bacon on top. YUM!

Cannot wait to begin eating some good Scandinavian food in Stockholm, on our cruise ,and then in Copenhagen. 

Also herring in mustard sauce.  This herring lover -- all 3 -- always has to ask server for a full plate!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

If not the steak, what would you recommend ordering in Manfredi's?

Newbie here....looking forward to my first Viking Ocean cruise at the end of the month

The pasta dishes were all very good; my wife had Gnocchi that were divine.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The steak was good on my Northern lights cruise in March. Not real thick but cooked medium rare. The rack of Lamb was also very good.first time Viking cruiser so I had nothing to compare it with except Princess.

the appetizer of deli meats and cheese was not very good. But I live in San Francisco and have access to really good stuff here.

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Kevin

And you can make special requests - I ask for shrimp, oil and garlic and linguini. Yum!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/29/2023 at 10:59 PM, duquephart said:

The problem with the much touted rib eye is that it is cut far to thin. Impossible to cook correctly.

The rib eye is also heavily coated in a rub. I asked to have it medium rare without the rub.  It came heavily crusted and well done. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2023 at 9:36 AM, WanderingBrit said:

Kevin

Was the Gnocchi like typical Gnocchi or one flat glob in the bottom of the bowl? I love Gnocchi, but the last time I had it there was just one big blob. I avoided it on our last cruise so I don't know if it was still that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1