New to all Cruising, Planning a European River Cruise

JoyMBee

I my not be posting this in the right place.  However, senior couple, both 70, looking to do a European River Cruise.  Not set on any cruise line or cruise.

We are working with a travel agent, and she has suggested Avalon or Emerald.  She has found one for us to look over.  It's the Danube Symphony on the

Avalon Visionary, Budapest to Munich Oct 2023.  Includes one night in Budapest prior and two nights in Munich at the end and prepaid gratuities. We would have a Panoramic Suite (large window that opens I think).  Any suggestions of something that would be better for first timers or a different cruise line.  The reviews for the ship itself look good but I havent found any information on that particular cruise.  I also wonder if we are looking too late for this year and that it might be better

for us to wait till next Spring.

Hi Joy.

I don't have any advice  but just good to see another newbie in the threads.

We are going on our first ever river cruise in September. 

Amsterdam to Budapest, on Scenic, 14 nights. 

• Like 2

Welcome @JoyMBee you are in the right place!  Take a look at the pinned threads at the top of this forum – they have tons of information that can help you understand your options about cruise lines, itineraries, etc.

There is a large number of river cruise lines, and they stack up from value lines to middle of the road to luxury.  Because of the small size of river ships (all modern ships are 135m long and the same width too – because they have to fit in the locks), river cruises are inherently expensive compared to ocean cruises.  As a result, there isn't as large a price difference from the value lines to the luxury lines – especially when you figure in the added amenities that the top lines include.  So don't automatically assume that you can't afford the best.

Avalon's Danube Symphony itinerary is an interesting one, but the most-often recommended itinerary for a first river cruise is from Amsterdam to Basel because it includes the fairytale 'Castles on the Rhine' area between Koblenz and Rudesheim.  It also includes four cultures:  Dutch at the start, French and German in the middle, Swiss at the end (and I recommend extra days in Amsterdam and Lucerne/Zurich).  Avalon does this as the Romantic Rhine – and every river cruise line has a similar version.

One warning:  because there are so many cruise lines and so many itineraries, you can drive yourself crazy with over-thinking it.  So the really good news is that almost every first-time river cruiser, no matter which cruise line or itinerary they choose, has a great experience and starts planning their next river cruise as soon as they can!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JoyMBee said:

I my not be posting this in the right place.  However, senior couple, both 70, looking to do a European River Cruise.  Not set on any cruise line or cruise.

We are working with a travel agent, and she has suggested Avalon or Emerald.  She has found one for us to look over.  It's the Danube Symphony on the

Avalon Visionary, Budapest to Munich Oct 2023.  Includes one night in Budapest prior and two nights in Munich at the end and prepaid gratuities. We would have a Panoramic Suite (large window that opens I think).  Any suggestions of something that would be better for first timers or a different cruise line.  The reviews for the ship itself look good but I havent found any information on that particular cruise.  I also wonder if we are looking too late for this year and that it might be better

for us to wait till next Spring.

Obviously, it comes down to how much time you wish to spend cruising.  The most popular cruise is the Grand European, European Gems etc (different lines have different names for it) but it is a 14 night cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest or v.v. covering most of the headline sights on both the Rhine and Danube  Shorter cruises are the ones such as Amsterdam to Basel so it depends on how long you want. 

The next choice would be the cruise line and there is a great choice available.  Given you are looking at Avalon and Emerald, it looks like you are going for a mid-market but still very good cruise rather than a premium line such as Scenic, APT or Uniworld.  Other English language cruise lines in your price range would be lines such as Viking or Travelmarvel.

The weather in October will be much cooler than August or September but, equally, the crowds will be much less too.  Water levels are a bit of a lottery all through late summer and autumn so you can't really work around that with a flawless solution.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

JoyMBee I suspect you know understand one thing about river cruising - it’s addictive - our first was eight days and my husband of all people decided it wasn’t long enough so on the 1st of July we’re off on our 10th it would of been more if Covid hadn’t hit. 
It might be an idea to do an I want chart and either wonder through the websites or take it to your TA. We’ve so far always traveled with Scenic, Emeralds sister company but most companies come up on these boards with decent reviews. So now you have to do the work for your cruise, which is usually a part of the fun. Keep us informed on how you get on.

• Like 1

@JoyMBee Check out Gate 1 cruises. They too add additional days at the beginning and end of cruises. We have b2b river cruises booked for Dec. Only fear is that the rivers may be too high. We just got back from a Rhine cruise it was close, but had no issues. All depends on weather. Viking, one of the costlier ships, has many ships in Europe and if there was ever an issue with the river, they can easily move you to a different ship on the other side of the impassable bridge. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!   Definitely read the stickies at the top.  They can help you suss out the differences between the lines.  FWIW, we sailed the Danube with Avalon and were very pleased, but I'm not married to them and would gladly try another line.

Other lines frequently discussed AMA and Tauck.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Everyone here is so helpful and can answer any questions you may have. As @Host Jazzbeau mentioned, we started with the Rhein Castle cruise on Viking. Perfect start to river cruising and it has been addictive. We then have taken 4 more on Uniworld. We are trying our first Ama this summer from reading CC reviews and @Canal archive has convinced me to plan one with Scenic next time. I also agree that prices do not vary greatly between the different lines. I would also say, per my experience that cabins don’t have a great difference like ocean cruises. My biggest advice is having a travel agent that has been on river cruises. For us, it was a great help with planning.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice and ideas.  I think I will do a little more checking around before booking anything.

Edited by JoyMBee
spelling error

Avalon is a great choice and that line's panoramic view cabins are probably the best of all river cruise companies except for suites and the "basement" cabins which are similar across brands.

Check out post #1921 here on p.77 that gives a review of cruise you are contemplating!

All Things Avalon - Page 77 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

To make it simpler I am copying/pasting MoonRiver54's post here:

"My wife and I recently returned from our Avalon "Danube Dreams" river cruise from Vilshofen, Germany to Budapest, Hungary aboard the Avalon Envision.  Our sailing date way 09 MAY 2023.  This was our first river cruise and I cannot begin to tell you how much we truly enjoyed the entire experience.  Although it rained almost every day...we were fully prepared with our umbrellas and hiking shoes...so the foul weather was no issue!  

Avalon Waterways is a SUPERB operation, from top to bottom.  The Avalon Envision was SPOTLESS...like new.  Our Panorama stateroom was utterly COMFORTABLE...toasty...like a home on the river.  And the ship's crew was truly OUTSTANDING...just THE BEST!  They took such great care of us.  The food was 5-STAR...all of it...breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I usually only eat twice a day...however I made an exception here!! I just couldn't pass it up.  It was just SO GOOD!

We were SO pleased with our Avalon Waterways experience that we booked a fall cruise on the Rhine upon returning home.  Yes...THAT'S how much we enjoyed our river cruise aboard Avalon!  FWIW...my wife and I are not affiliated with Avalon in any way, not travel agents, not YouTubers, but instead...simply retirees looking for an enjoyable travel experience.  And we darned sure found it here!"

Edited by TMLAalum

JoyMBee, Hope you’re enjoying the planning process.  Just wondering what were the reasons your TA gave you for recommending this particular itinerary and cruise line?  It is rather late to be booking for this year and I suspect availability could be one reason unless you had specific requirements. If you are looking ahead to next year there would be more choices.  Something else to consider is that the standard cabins on river ships are shockingly small compared to ocean cruises and the suites usually sell out first.  So perhaps another reason to consider next year if you think you need a more comfortable space. I think there are some differences in price points for the various lines and along with that there are differences in what you get.  Quality of food, quality and size of tours, entertainment, amenities and service.  You’ll get a lot of recommendations here but reading the stickies will help you to discern between the various lines and rivers. 

My first river cruise was on Uniworld Rhine and Moselle Amsterdam to Basel.  If you’re never been before, Amsterdam is a great city and Basel is a wonderful launch pad into Switzerland if you can extend your trip.  The inclusion of the Moselle makes this itinerary special. It’s a beautiful river in a premier wine producing area of France and Germany.  All my other river cruises were with Tauck.  Both are premium cruise companies with Tauck having outstanding excursions in fairly small groups and many thoughtful extras and surprises along the way.  

BTW, October is a great time to travel in Europe, may be chilly or a little wet but slightly less crowded.

9 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

JoyMBee, Hope you’re enjoying the planning process.  Just wondering what were the reasons your TA gave you for recommending this particular itinerary and cruise line?  It is rather late to be booking for this year and I suspect availability could be one reason unless you had specific requirements. If you are looking ahead to next year there would be more choices.  Something else to consider is that the standard cabins on river ships are shockingly small compared to ocean cruises and the suites usually sell out first.  So perhaps another reason to consider next year if you think you need a more comfortable space. I think there are some differences in price points for the various lines and along with that there are differences in what you get.  Quality of food, quality and size of tours, entertainment, amenities and service.  You’ll get a lot of recommendations here but reading the stickies will help you to discern between the various lines and rivers. 

My first river cruise was on Uniworld Rhine and Moselle Amsterdam to Basel.  If you’re never been before, Amsterdam is a great city and Basel is a wonderful launch pad into Switzerland if you can extend your trip.  The inclusion of the Moselle makes this itinerary special. It’s a beautiful river in a premier wine producing area of France and Germany.  All my other river cruises were with Tauck.  Both are premium cruise companies with Tauck having outstanding excursions in fairly small groups and many thoughtful extras and surprises along the way.  

BTW, October is a great time to travel in Europe, may be chilly or a little wet but slightly less crowded.

I think that is the reason our TA suggested that cruise, keeping our budget in mind and what is available.  I have reached out to her this am about a Rhine cruise so we will see what she comes up with.  It is confusing there are so many cruise lines and itineries, what is included etc.  We have never cruised before, even though we have done a lot of travelling.  Thanks for your help

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoyMBee said:

We have never cruised before, even though we have done a lot of travelling.

So one other thing to point out about river cruising:  it isn't a restful sailing down the river sipping wine all day like the brochures imply.  Every day you wake up in a different river port, have an early breakfast and go off on the included morning excursion; back on the ship for lunch most days, then another excursion in the afternoon (included on the top lines, extra cost on the cheaper ones); back on the ship for cocktails, the cruise director's talk about the next day's activities, and dinner (the ship usually sails while you're having dinner); light entertainment in the lounge after dinner; then early to bed because it all starts over again the next morning (no sea days on river cruises!).

• Like 4

As Host Jazzbeau mentioned, the pinned posts at the top of this River Cruise Forum will help to clarify the differences for you.

As for Rhine cruises, if you have the time and budget I strongly recommend one that includes the Moselle.  If traveling all the way from the US you may as well make the most of it.  

If budget is a factor then there may be more choice next Spring or Fall.

• Like 1

As others have said a normal “first cruise” is usually Amsterdam to Basel or the reverse” availability shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve booked about half my cruises within 6 months and I’m sure I could find something leaving in the next week if I really had to. I’ve done most of your proposed route(all but the Danube from vilshofen to Nuremberg), that would be a fun trip I would definitely do it from Budapest as the main is a bit different from the Rhine or Danube in ways that would inform your first impressions 

you can definitely drive yourself mad looking at different cruise lines and itineraries, my personal experience is with amawaterways who I can certainly (after 5 cruises) recommend  without question but they are hardly the only good option.  

• Like 2

Good advice here, and welcome to the world of river cruising.

I assume your TA went through the various lines and what each entails for you. Some include everything (alcohol, laundry, all excursions) while others include some alcohol, one excursion a day etc. The main thing is to choose an area that has excursions you would like to see and then find a line that suits your budget and time you wish to trave. We will be doing the Danube in Sept with Avalon, having done the Rhine in 2018. We loved our 1st cruise so much we were planning our 2nd one on the flight home.

@Host Jazzbeau makes one very important point about river cruising, it's not a relaxing as in lounging around & free time type of holiday. You may have 1 afternoon or morning gently sailing past a scenic area of the river, but the rest of the day is usually exploring. You come home happy but tired! 

I have only sailed with Avalon, so can't compare other lines, but I'm sure whatever line & route you choose, you will love it. If you do choose Avalon, don't expect to spend time in your cabin relaxing on the bed and watching the river float by, because the scenery is on both sides of the river, and staying in your cabin, you will miss some. The top deck and lounges are best for relaxing and watching the scenery.

• Like 4

@JoyMBee, you came to the right place for information and advice on river cruising.  

My first river cruise was Budapest to Passau on the Danube.

Keep in mind that there's no ONE right itinerary or cruise line.  Several could work for you depending on your interests, schedule, and budget.  Pick one and go with it, then evaluate afterwards what you liked and didn't like.  

It's not too late to book something for this year.  

• Like 2

Welcome to the wonderful world of river cruising.

16 hours ago, JoyMBee said:

It's the Danube Symphony on the

Avalon Visionary, Budapest to Munich Oct 2023.  Includes one night in Budapest prior and two nights in Munich at the end and prepaid gratuities. We would have a Panoramic Suite (large window that opens I think).

I think this is a great choice with nice add-ons for a first cruise. I base this on the itinerary (I have done a similar one), what I know of Munich and what others have said about Avalonwaterways on this board. And your TA suggested a very modern ship as well as the large windows (I guess those cabins are with French balconies - which are a great choice if you want a constant view of the river and fresh air in your cabin). Having said that, I think it is good of past posters to suggest the Rhine with or without Moselle.

Not much to add from me to all that great advice others have given. One note: in autumn the Danube can be low, be prepared for low water. Well, that is what I usually say but with your itinerary you have another plus. It ends in Vilshofen. That avoids the trickiest part of the Danube so low water is highly unlikely to shorten your cruise and it reduces the risk of disruption considerably.

There are indeed many, many choices and one can overthink this - you could have a look at European lines if you are a bit adventurous, making your head spin even more. :classic_biggrin:

Again, if you just said now, "I have had enough of looking around and will book what the travel agent suggested", I do not think you could go wrong.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 4

We are booked on Viking Vidar Grand Euro Sojourn for 21 nights in September (hoping we get lucky and are not dealing with typical low river levels during that time).  

Knowing how tours every day can leave you "toured and tired out"....I have left gaps during the 3 weeks of several days to recoup and just enjoy the boat for the day.  No reason we have to tour every single day, though we do still have quite a few packed in to enjoy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are booked on Viking Vidar Grand Euro Sojourn for 21 nights in September (hoping we get lucky and are not dealing with typical low river levels during that time).  

Knowing how tours every day can leave you "toured and tired out"....I have left gaps during the 3 weeks of several days to recoup and just enjoy the boat for the day.  No reason we have to tour every single day, though we do still have quite a few packed in to enjoy.  

This is wise, I just got back from the lower half of the Danube just under a month ago and we had passengers who started in Prague, boarded the ship, did a week, picked me up in Budapest, did a week, then did 4 days in Transylvania.  that is a LONG streak of (mostly) go go go every day (or at least get up, eat, get on a bus, tour something, then go back to the sleeping place and repeat). Some of them were voicing a little burnout when we got off the ship in Girgiu (Romania).  And that trip did have a "sea day" after 11 or so after the morning excursion to go through the iron gates.  I admit I enjoy just sitting up on deck (or on a balcony, had one this time) and watching the river go by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CastleCritic said:

This is wise, I just got back from the lower half of the Danube just under a month ago and we had passengers who started in Prague, boarded the ship, did a week, picked me up in Budapest, did a week, then did 4 days in Transylvania.  that is a LONG streak of (mostly) go go go every day (or at least get up, eat, get on a bus, tour something, then go back to the sleeping place and repeat). Some of them were voicing a little burnout when we got off the ship in Girgiu (Romania).  And that trip did have a "sea day" after 11 or so after the morning excursion to go through the iron gates.  I admit I enjoy just sitting up on deck (or on a balcony, had one this time) and watching the river go by.

Thanks....My sentiments exactly.  We totally enjoy sea days on ocean cruises as well.  🙂 

• Like 1

I guess this depends on what you want.

One thing that really appeals to me about river cruising is that you do get off and do something/go somewhere every day,  I dont want a trip with any sea days.

admittedly I am saying that prior to actually having done the trip - but I have been on several coach tours of similar length and format

I was watching some youtube videos last night and one presenter made the point that a river cruise is similar in format to a group coach/land tour.

and of course you can opt out of any excursions if you want to - and a couple of days the free choices on our trip include a 'stay on board and do x' - I think one is a cooking class - I do not intend to do that but anyone over walking/bussing days could do so.

27 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

I guess this depends on what you want.

One thing that really appeals to me about river cruising is that you do get off and do something/go somewhere every day,  I dont want a trip with any sea days.

admittedly I am saying that prior to actually having done the trip - but I have been on several coach tours of similar length and format

I was watching some youtube videos last night and one presenter made the point that a river cruise is similar in format to a group coach/land tour.

and of course you can opt out of any excursions if you want to - and a couple of days the free choices on our trip include a 'stay on board and do x' - I think one is a cooking class - I do not intend to do that but anyone over walking/bussing days could do so.

Sure, and the land extensions for river cruises are exactly that, a group coach tour

as I keep saying I just got off a 7 day southern/eastern Danube cruise with amawaterways and then did the land extension to Brasov/Bucharest.  Every day of the extension was

8am get up, eat breakfast at the ship or hotel

9am be on the bus

11am arrive somewhere, eat lunch

1pm tour something

3pm get back on the bus

5pm get to the hotel (twice this was arrive at the hotel and get yourself situated).

whereas I think this was the most jammed day Ive had in 5 cruises

IMG_D62416DF00DA-1.thumb.jpeg.a555a1e97af291b2c3b1757e09599605.jpeg

But like you said, you dont HAVE to do anything. when looking through the trip to find that the day before I  skipped the late excursion and just walked around the town we were docked at, some times there will be a separate schedule if you just stayed on the ship while it sailed between ports while people were off doing things.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1