Norovirus on Summit in May

sunonfire

WE were on the Summit and the buffet help-yourself service was stopped and also there was extra cleaning.  I unfortunately had the Norovirus the night we got home.  Still a very nice cruise(along with some rough water and tender issues) but I will not forget having the virus although glad it happened once home.

Still no help yourself in the buffet.  It is all served to you.  I’m fine with that.  A woman tried to grab some tongs herself by reaching over the food but I stopped her & explained why we had to be served.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

I was on this cruise. The captain announced that there were 2 COVID cases and changed the buffet to non-self-serve. No announcements about norovirus. 

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

I've been on... (counting on my fingers) nine cruises since the restart (including the Summit twice) and I can't recall any of my captains announcing any cases of COVID-19.  I must have been very lucky. 🙏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m on Summit now.  No self service.  There are staff at every buffet entrance directing people to the sinks.  EM

Back to the future? My cruise on the Summit back in September '21 featured this set of service.

4 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

I was on this cruise. The captain announced that there were 2 COVID cases and changed the buffet to non-self-serve. No announcements about norovirus. 

I was also on the May 15 Summit cruise.  I seem to remember several announcements by the Captain about gastrointestinal illness from about day 3 or 4 till the end of the cruise. The captain gave updates each day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on the May 15 cruise. My travel companion and I were fine but I wonder how many did not report the illness once the captain announced it and people stayed in their cabin.

Laura

6 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

I was also on the May 15 Summit cruise.  I seem to remember several announcements by the Captain about gastrointestinal illness from about day 3 or 4 till the end of the cruise. The captain gave updates each day.

Maple, not sure how we were on the same cruise with 2 different experiences.  Captain said for days there was an issue and urged everyone to use proper hand washing.  I got norovirus on the sea day before Charleston.  Not fun.  They didn't know it was norovirus for sure until after the cruise b/c they had to send samples to the CDC for confirmation.  He repeatedly announced that there was gastro issues.

• Like 1

I get taking away self-service on the sailing where the outbreak occurs. But why on the next cruise with new passengers?? They aren’t the ones who have it, and any crew that does should be on medical quarantine.

(And FWIW it is not exclusive to cruises. It went through the school where I teach like wildfire.)

We were on the Summit May 15th sailing. The Captain made announcements every day (once it started) regarding the 'gastrointestinal' issues onboard, urging everyone to washy washy. I did not hear anything from him regarding Covid cases. However, one evening I saw Deck 7 forward taped off with yellow tape and a crew member standing guard. I thought this quite odd because I didn't think that you would have to isolate/change staterooms for gastrointestinal issues. I immediately thought of some Covid possibilities. Thankfully, hubby and I remained well and were fine.

Edited by LuvCruzn4Evr
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ecslady said:

I was on this cruise, also.  The Captain was very vocal during his announcements regarding noro and precautions, procedures, etc.  

There were more than 2 passengers effected by Covid.  A shipboard friend contracted it the day of disembarking and then myself a day later.  

• Thanks 1

We were also on the May 15 cruise.  I have had noro three times on previous cruises but fortunately we were both fine on this cruise.  Celebrity really needs to enforce the hand washing at Ocean View.  Instead of just having a crew member tell everyone to wash, they should block off the entrance so everyone has to walk through the hand washing station.  Maybe more people would get the message. 

Celebrity also needs more help behind the counters serving the food and serving beverages.  Half the beverage stations were not in service. 

• Like 1

Supplying food service gloves would help like I see locally at salad bars might help along with doing things like HAL where staff serves you at the buffet. It was a thing at the restart, but has since been ignored. Waiting for an outbreak is too late. Just be proactive.

Edited by coaster

On 6/7/2023 at 3:51 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I get taking away self-service on the sailing where the outbreak occurs. But why on the next cruise with new passengers?? They aren’t the ones who have it, and any crew that does should be on medical quarantine.

(And FWIW it is not exclusive to cruises. It went through the school where I teach like wildfire.)

Norovirus is a "notifiable" disease and the rules require 7 clear days from the last case before restrictions can be lifted.

Personally we would prefer the food in the buffet to always be served by the crew.

• Like 10