Shorts in the dinning room

21 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Trust me, I cruise 5 times a year and enjoy every second. The very last thing I’d like to do is staring at other people. However unlike other cruises this one (maybe due to it being 5 days?) featured excess of weirdness. In case of crocs I’d prefer to unsee it. However they happened to be too close … together with hairy legs of its owner.

Just don’t look to closely at those Crocs because you might see some Frito toe nails looking back at you. That will put you off your food for sure. 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Trust me, I cruise 5 times a year and enjoy every second. The very last thing I’d like to do is staring at other people. However unlike other cruises this one (maybe due to it being 5 days?) featured excess of weirdness. In case of crocs I’d prefer to unsee it. However they happened to be too close … together with hairy legs of its owner.

I don’t know.. in some reason I remembered Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon Vacations. Did you watch this movie? 

Wait, if you "enjoy every second ", then seeing folks in shorts and/or crocs must not bother you.  So what are you arguing?

• Like 4

It's all been said, but here is my take:

We bring some of our nicest clothing on a cruise;  my husband is blue-collar, but he loves to dress up.  He's scaled it back over the last ten years--this last cruise in early 2023, he left the tuxedo and suits at home and wore dress shirts and dress slacks for dinner. Brought one jacket. He did not wear shorts in the MDR.

We like us both looking good together for the evening--it's fun and makes it all a bit more special for us. So we dress up and will continue to do so.  Our choice.

As far as older kids and teens go--it won't kill them to put on a collared shirt and some dress slacks every now and then. I promise.  

Teddie

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, teddie said:

We bring some of our nicest clothing on a cruise;  my husband is blue-collar, but he loves to dress up.  He's scaled it back over the last ten years--this last cruise in early 2023, he left the tuxedo and suits at home and wore dress shirts and dress slacks for dinner. Brought one jacket. He did not wear shorts in the MDR.

We like us both looking good together for the evening--it's fun and makes it all a bit more special for us. So we dress up and will continue to do so.  Our choice.

As far as older kids and teens go--it won't kill them to put on a collared shirt and some dress slacks every now and then. I promise.  

Teddie

it probably wouldn't hurt me to put on a collared shirt and dress pants  any more than it would you to put on a pair of shorts and maybe relax a bit

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Wait, if you "enjoy every second ", then seeing folks in shorts and/or crocs must not bother you.  So what are you arguing?

Of course you understand figures of speech. Do you?

11 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

it probably wouldn't hurt me to put on a collared shirt and dress pants  any more than it would you to put on a pair of shorts and maybe relax a bit

You mean relaxation cannot happen in pants? Well… they don’t have to be too tight you know.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, teddie said:

Teddie

BRAVO!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 5:40 PM, Another_Critic said:

Counterpoint:  If shorts are welcomed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, why wouldn't they include dinner if they are welcomed then too?

I think most people recognize that the evening meal is more of "an event".  

On 6/9/2023 at 11:26 PM, TheHawk1 said:

I’m sure your grandsons are thrilled to be treated like they’re being raised in 1923 instead of 2023. Good luck with that.

Ridiculous comparison.  

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

IMG_6089.png.29a1be6296cbe0502774e782876290bb.png 

This picture shows up frequently on this website.  While I don't doubt it's a genuine picture, it's only a small sliver of that evening's guests entering the MDR -- and it's not a good representation of how the average cruiser dresses on "formal night".  

What I've seen lately on most nights in the MDR: 

- The majority of men wear nice jeans or khakis with a button-down or polo shirt.  A smattering of adult men wear shorts.  

- The majority of women wear sundresses or dressy pants and tops.  

Formal nights are definitely less casual than in past years, but here's what's average: 

- Tuxedos are gone. 

- About 30% of guests dress up ... men in suits, ladies in cocktail dresses, some of them long. 

- The majority of guests look just like they do on other nights ... jeans, khakis, sundresses.  

- A few people ignore social norms and wear shorts to "formal night", but they are mostly teenagers.  

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC needs to totally rebrand formal night. Turn it into formal photo night instead. I would imagine most people who dress formally are getting photos, too, so why not just focus on that?

They have already rebranded it, but I can't remember exactly what they're calling it.  It's still called "formal night" on this (and other) websites, but we're not really right to use that term.  

11 hours ago, Boz575 said:

I’m failing to see the connection to this thread. Was it the pants that got them into the Ivy’s?

I'd bet they have an understanding of social norms and a willingness to live up to expectations; dressing for their surroundings is one small example of that mindset.  

8 hours ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

... The tropics do not mean anything.  I'm not judging what you want to wear, but last week, very few people were in shirts and baseball caps around me. 

My father grew up in Central America.  All his life he wore long pants and guayaberas.  

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

You want to pretend you are wealthy, go for it. I would rather dress how I want- shorts, slacks, suit, whatever.

You're arguing only wealthy people can wear pants?  Or that people who wear pants are pretending to be wealthy?  

Truthfully, I suspect everyone on these boards is wealthy.  If you can afford to cruise -- even if only every couple years -- you are more wealthy than most people living today.  

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Given how we cruise now, luggage space is a lot more important than worrying about what someone else thinks about what I am wearing. 

I agree that luggage has become more complicated with costs for checked bags, but this isn't really a good excuse for not dressing for dinner.  Since dinner is only 1-2 hours each evening, you could wear a single pair of pants every night for a week.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

Are you arguing that a man in nice jeans or khakis cannot relax?  

Seriously, a decent argument for shorts can be made, but most of the petulant protestations on this thread are more childish and nonsensical than logical.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

Well this is silly. What makes you think I don't put on a pair of shorts and relax?  I do that.  But not on a cruise at dinner in the MDR, because as mentioned in the first part of my post, it's our choice. I didn't tell you or anyone what to do or how to dress.  You do you. 

Teddie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

If you wear crocs to MDR then it’s not me, but you making yourself looking bad. If you are experiencing joy when people feel uncomfortable next to  you then I feel for you. Talk to healthcare professionals.

Well, you have me reconsidering purchasing crocs for the dining room.  Can I get your opinion on dress flip-flops please?  (Yes, if they were worn at the beach, I'll hose off the sand).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 2

MDR is a floating TGI Fridays...not a floating Ruths Chris or Capital Grill. If I pay extra to have dinner at 150 Central park- then I'll dress up a little. MDR is getting shorts and MAYBE a pair of jeans on formal night, but in all reality- none of us eat Lobster, so formal night is usually Playmakers windjammer night for us, anyway. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Well, you have me reconsidering purchasing crocs for the dining room.  Can I get your opinion on dress flip-flops please?  (Yes, if they were worn at the beach, I'll hose off the sand).

I wear my dress flip-flops with my dress shorts quite often to dinner, main dining room, specialty restaurants, five star accommodations on land.

No problems anywhere ever.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

MDR is a floating TGI Fridays...not a floating Ruths Chris or Capital Grill. If I pay extra to have dinner at 150 Central park- then I'll dress up a little. MDR is getting shorts and MAYBE a pair of jeans on formal night, but in all reality- none of us eat Lobster, so formal night is usually Playmakers windjammer night for us, anyway. 

Capital Grille will even allow shorts for dinner, at least in the Dallas area.

Ruth’s Chris was just bought by the Olive Garden so I expect their standards to fall even further.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, teddie said:

Teddie

So, using your rationale, since I am white collar and dress up every single day, I should take this opportunity to dress a little more casual and relax and enjoy myself.

By the way, I fail to see the reasoning on bringing socioeconomic status into the conversation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RC dining is not an event. It's a meal.  And with part of the motivation for the new menus being to make meal time shorter, that proves as much. 

Wear what you want to wear and just don't look at other people if a certain attire bothers you that much. If you want a truly formal cruise line, those exist.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So, using your rationale, since I am white collar and dress up every single day, I should take this opportunity to dress a little more casual and relax and enjoy myself.

By the way, I fail to see the reasoning on bringing socioeconomic status into the conversation

I agree with you on the socioeconomic thing but differ on the interpretation of what you should be wearing in the dining room; seems to me you ought to consider stepping things up a notch from your typical dress but not go full out formal.  Perhaps a business suit rather than shirt, tie and sports coat???

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I agree with you on the socioeconomic thing but differ on the interpretation of what you should be wearing in the dining room; seems to me you ought to consider stepping things up a notch from your typical dress but not go full out formal.  Perhaps a business suit rather than shirt, tie and sports coat???

Well, that is one way to go; I think I’ll stick with my norm of taking it down a notch. 
I am a big fan of “live and let live”

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I amm not talking soico-economics!  I am simply pointing out that my husband does not routinely wear office attire or suits at work, so he likes to dress up!  Your logic is off. 

Teddie

• Like 1

Just now, teddie said:

I amm not talking soico-economics!  I am simply pointing out that my husband does not routinely wear office attire or suits at work, so he likes to dress up!  Your logic is off. 

Teddie

“Blue collar” is a socio-economic term. If you didn’t intend to use the term you should have just said “my husband doesn’t routinely wear office attire or suits at work” 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I am not raising a socio economic issue.  Jeesh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Blue collar” is a socio-economic term. 

Thank you for critiquing my description of my husband's work attire. 🙄.  If you want to talk socio economics, I would note that many blue collar people make a hell of a lot more cash then some white collar peeps. I am talking about CLOTHES!  Stop this silliness.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Blue collar” is a socio-economic term. If you didn’t intend to use the term you should have just said “my husband doesn’t routinely wear office attire or suits at work” 

I just love the nerve of some people here. Now I have a bossy editor. 🤣

T

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I think most people recognize that the evening meal is more of "an event".  

Ridiculous comparison.  

This picture shows up frequently on this website.  While I don't doubt it's a genuine picture, it's only a small sliver of that evening's guests entering the MDR -- and it's not a good representation of how the average cruiser dresses on "formal night".  

What I've seen lately on most nights in the MDR: 

- The majority of men wear nice jeans or khakis with a button-down or polo shirt.  A smattering of adult men wear shorts.  

- The majority of women wear sundresses or dressy pants and tops.  

Formal nights are definitely less casual than in past years, but here's what's average: 

- Tuxedos are gone. 

- About 30% of guests dress up ... men in suits, ladies in cocktail dresses, some of them long. 

- The majority of guests look just like they do on other nights ... jeans, khakis, sundresses.  

- A few people ignore social norms and wear shorts to "formal night", but they are mostly teenagers.  

They have already rebranded it, but I can't remember exactly what they're calling it.  It's still called "formal night" on this (and other) websites, but we're not really right to use that term.  

I'd bet they have an understanding of social norms and a willingness to live up to expectations; dressing for their surroundings is one small example of that mindset.  

My father grew up in Central America.  All his life he wore long pants and guayaberas.  

You're arguing only wealthy people can wear pants?  Or that people who wear pants are pretending to be wealthy?  

Truthfully, I suspect everyone on these boards is wealthy.  If you can afford to cruise -- even if only every couple years -- you are more wealthy than most people living today.  

I agree that luggage has become more complicated with costs for checked bags, but this isn't really a good excuse for not dressing for dinner.  Since dinner is only 1-2 hours each evening, you could wear a single pair of pants every night for a week.  

When was your last RCI cruise? I have been on 9 RCI cruises this year (number 10 is this coming Saturday). Without exception, in both the MDR and speciality restaurants at night, I see a significant number of men wearing shorts every night of the cruise. It has been a long time (like a decade if not longer) since I would consider dinner in the MDR an “event”. The cruise industry today is nothing like the cruise industry of the past. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1