Shorts in the dinning room

49 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Do you want to live in trailer park? You can have a nice house, but around you will be that.

I know right! How dare folks with lesser means save up and treat their families to a vacation  on our RC ship, in our mdr and ruin our experience. Truth is, I see people in Coastal Kitchen every night in shorts and no one bats an eye. I guess I’ll just have to continue to slum it in CK with the other suite riff-raff. 

Edited by Boz575
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Think of it this way… when you chose neighborhood to live or resort to spend your vacation does it matter for you who are your neighbors? Do you want to live in trailer park? You can have a nice house, but around you will be that.

I guess numbers matter. Several people won’t cannot spoil your vacation… but if you particularly sit right next to a person with hairy legs in crocs … person in baseball hat in MDR even one person will matter. 

I’m sorry, but that is a dumb analogy. I chose to go on a cruise ship, knowing full well that there will be shorts and sandals as well as seeing a lot of people in swimming stuff sunning themselves. 

I’ll care when the person stinks and I can’t taste my food. But do not care if they have hairy legs. Or a cap. 

But if you want to care, it’s your money you are wasting. Not mine. I’ll wear what I can pack, and not worry at all if you look however. 

It’s telling you use a trailer park, since all you are doing is pretending you are better than someone else just based on looks. Doesn’t the saying go “don’t judge a book by its cover”?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It’s telling you use a trailer park, since all you are doing is pretending you are better than someone else just based on looks. Doesn’t the saying go “don’t judge a book by its cover”?

BINGO.  That's pretty much what the anti-shorts in the MDR crusade is all about.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

. Doesn’t the saying go “don’t judge a book by its cover”?  

But very few adhere to the meaning.  I see, I judge, and then we change tables. Not about to sit a table with someone that has no self respect for themselves or others.

Edited by taglovestocruise

On 6/8/2023 at 6:17 AM, ETski said:

We are bringing two teenage grandsons on a cruise this summer. Since the boys don't have a lot of dress clothes would they be able to wear nice shorts to the dinningroom? 

I think the only time my husband ever wore pants in the dining room was formal night, and even then it was just khakis. He literally wore shorts every night, and nobody cared or said anything. And he was hardly the only one.

My 11-yr-old never even wore pants on formal night - khaki shorts was about as dressy as he got.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

I’m sorry, but that is a dumb analogy. I chose to go on a cruise ship, knowing full well that there will be shorts and sandals as well as seeing a lot of people in swimming stuff sunning themselves. 

I’ll care when the person stinks and I can’t taste my food. But do not care if they have hairy legs. Or a cap. 

But if you want to care, it’s your money you are wasting. Not mine. I’ll wear what I can pack, and not worry at all if you look however. 

LOL. Now is this a dumb suggestion?
I’m not rich by any means. However I know what is appropriate in various situations, I may travel in inside room, but I always adhere to what is appropriate for particular places or situation. If I cruise with Cunard I will wear formal clothes. On Celebrity it will be less formal, but still more than on Royal. Royal is more casual, but there is a minimum that is appropriate for MDR or even WJ.

I’m sure even person from trailer park can afford simple pants and shoes other than crocs if he/she is treating itself for a cruise.

And of course I’m wrong mentioning trailer park.  Money don’t always buy taste. So maybe people attending MDR in torn jeans or crocs aren’t poor.. just tasteless. 😉 

Edited by Tatka

9 hours ago, Tatka said:

We also always use tables for two. Always. However I’m sure you couldn’t miss how close tables are placed in MDR. 

Maybe you generally don’t notice things.. even hairy legs belonging to a stranger in crocs right next to you. Good for you I guess. 🙂 

Not all two tops in the MDR are close. Bummer for you that you are fixated on another persons legs and what they are wearing on their feet.  

• Like 5

Just now, davekathy said:

Not all two tops in the MDR are close. Bummer for you that you are fixated on another persons legs and what they are wearing on their feet.  

Bummer is that some people don’t understand simple rules of coexistence.

Maybe they live in the woods and just come out for cruises? Who knows. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tatka said:

It is not Cunard so there is no mandatory evening dress code in all venues. I get that. What I do not get is on the ship with various venues from buffet and pizzeria, Cafe Promenade etc to MDR if people do not want to put even minimal dress code why do they need to go to MDR? They have plenty venues where it is completely fine to be in shorts and any type of shoes. It is not like it is MDR or being hungry.

the pizza place and the cafe do not serve meals. I like to be serve my dinner, so I go to the mdr, wearing shorts

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Not in my job description and way above my pay grade to worry or concern myself with what others wear or don't wear. 

Obviously not you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Are your dining companions such a bore that you find yourself looking at what others are wearing instead of enjoying their company and a nice meal?

I think they just like the "We don't want THEM in our neighborhood" feeling of superiority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Live and let live, and turn the other cheek seem to be two easy ones.

29 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Another simple rule for coexistence; do not judge, or you too will be judged.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tatka said:

And of course I’m wrong mentioning trailer park.  Money don’t always buy taste. So maybe people attending MDR in torn jeans or crocs aren’t poor.. just tasteless. 😉 

My neighbor parks his backhoe[1] in my front yard.

image.png.5449d34d8b2ed64a6cfe742de7d1e6dc.png

Not sure what he would wear to the MDR.  😄

[1]  But he let's me use it whenever I want.  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

My neighbor parks his rusty backhoe[1] in my front yard.

image.png.5449d34d8b2ed64a6cfe742de7d1e6dc.png

Not sure what he would wear to the MDR.  😄

[1]  But he let's me use it whenever I want.  🙂

And I bet he would help you at the drop of a hat.

Edit to add that sometimes the most giving are those that can not afford to give. This comment isn’t specific about your neighbour but a general comment. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Another simple rule for coexistence; do not judge, or you too will be judged.  🤷‍♂️

First time on the internet? 😄

Hilarious that this topic comes up at least monthly and yet here we are with another SIX PAGES of comments.  I think the only true solution is to abolish the MDR altogether.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fac429 said:

First time on the internet? 😄

Hilarious that this topic comes up at least monthly and yet here we are with another SIX PAGES of comments.  I think the only true solution is to abolish the MDR altogether.  

You might be onto something. 😂

This one will conclude just in time for a chair hog one, which will in turn be replaced by a tip thread etc…

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

My neighbor parks his backhoe[1] in my front yard.

Seems like a nice backhoe like that could be useful in this thread..you know, for digging themselves out and what not, lol. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

You might be onto something. 😂

This one will conclude just in time for a chair hog one, which will in turn be replaced by a tip thread etc…

Are you allowed to tip extra in the MDR?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

And I bet he would help you at the drop of a hat.

Yes, he would (and has) helped me multiple times.  Saved me many hours of work cutting trees and moving wood.  Still need to use the backhoe to dig out my back bank to either put a shed or built a garage.  Also need to use it to demolish my deck and dig footers for a patio.  Plus I need to pull my old shed across the yard to drop a huge poplar tree.

P.S.  I'm actually the one that usually parks the backhoe in my yard.

P.P.S.  My diesel garden tractor is actually parked in his garage.  😄

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Haha 1