The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 18th, 2023

richwmn

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dada out there

It is a warm and cloudy day at the beach. Our crazy weather continues.

I don't fish but I see the fishermen go out every day. I don't tend to panic, always thought you have to keep your wits about you . Stay calm, only way to accomplish anything.  

No picnics for us today. DH has requested a pork roast for dinner. 

Rotterdam is on our VOV for 2024. Hope to see some pictures. 

@ottahand7 Beautiful flowers. Thanks for posting.

@Cruzin Terri Hope your missing luggage shows up. Travel is not easy anymore.

@ger_77 What a wonderful tradition.  It is very kind of you to do that.

Hopefully it will be a quiet day here today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  I got some more weeding done this morning.  I managed to get both sides of the driveway done. The the dark clouds came by and started a light rain.  I’ll pass on the tofu, instead we will have ribs that are leftover from eating out yesterday.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.

image.png.8daec3971931f11b91d650174f6a85d3.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Good money,

it is a rainy day so no outside picnic for us. We might be able to eat on the screen porch depending on which way the wind is blowing. I am having a marathon DGS weekend. He has been here since Friday and will be with me until night. Sprinkle in DGD for hours of fun and I should sleep for a week when he leaves. They should hear if their offer is accepted this morning sometime. They are not getting their hopes up to high and are ok either way (or so they say). They would like to find a house before kindergarten starts for DGS so they don’t have to change schools. 

@Cruzin Terri I am sure your luggage will make it. It is nice you built in several days up front to give your luggage time to find you. It is very nerve wracking to wait. 

Have a Happy Fathers Day everyone. 

• Like 24

Good morning, all, and Happy Father’s Day! Very fitting that Go Fishing Day falls on Fathers Day. No coincidence, I’m sure. Being dyslexic, I also like that International Panic Day and International Picnic Day are together. No matter which way I read it, I’m not wrong!
We had a good time at our friends house last night. She baked Sockeye salmon, which was delicious and perfect. Her husband had been a commercial fisherman in younger years, so cooking salmon is her wheelhouse. 
The Brazo de Mercedes I made with lemon filling instead of the traditional custard was a hit, and will be repeated. Brazo de Mercedes translates to Arms of the Lady of Mercy. Indeed, when you cut it and lay the slice on the plate, it looks like soft white arms wrapped around the filling. I took a picture of the full thing, but not of the cut desert.

AA88C498-D651-49FB-8D4C-55F4E96D105A.thumb.jpeg.bd09bde7ce45f2474d1213eb621d47c4.jpeg

We head back to the mainland today, because tomorrow we have a couple of appointments. I’m also eyeing some cruises this fall to burn off our remaining Covid FCC before it expires.

Happy Sunday, everyone, and cheers to our favorite BHB’s, wherever they may be!

9014ED50-8A13-4C42-97F2-8102555B6A0B.thumb.jpeg.e0284a25d664ea61e7bbdaae992f517b.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 27

Good morning all and Happy Fathers' Day to all the Dads out there!

DH fished a lot in the past, but not now for years.  Not me, I can't sit still that long lol.  There won't be many picnics here today, it's pouring rain this morning and rain predicted now for days.  I don't panic easily, but if the circumstances were bad enough I might!

I'll pass on the meal, even if I substituted chicken for the tofu. Some of the other ingredients don't agree with me.   Will pass on the wine too, but the drink looks like a very nice dessert. 🙂  We were in Rotterdam overnight on the VOV in 2018.  The first day we went to Amsterdam and did all the touristy things (will save those photos for when we have Amsterdam) and the second day we did the Splash Tours in Rotterdam, a fun day!  Photos below.

No big plans here yet today, we'll be getting together with the kids for dinner on Tuesday because they're camping this weekend (where it's drier lol).  I'll have to ask DH what he would like for dinner today.

@Cruzin Terri Ugh, I hate it when all our bags don't arrive with us -- and it has happened to us way too many times.  I hope your bags show up soon, it's good you have a few days in London.

Nancy @ottahand7 Thank you for posting photos of your beautiful irises.  They're all gorgeous, but I think my favorite is the apricot colored one you posted the other day.

Here are photos taken from the Splash Tours in Rotterdam.

Erasmusbrug Bridge

ErasmusbrugBridgeRotterdam.jpg.f8b60dae6b0edef033c399c7ebaa5f96.jpg

Euromast

Euromast.thumb.jpg.ebed1ddd518af72d69a63eb4caf97041.jpg

Original HAL building

originalHALbuilding.thumb.jpg.0ec526fa00e30a4e58f6cbea4dd8dede.jpg

Original Rotterdam

OriginalRotterdam.jpg.323a95c69f2e8204030480f86ed18eaf.jpg

Rotterdamsplashtours.thumb.jpg.39bd677119afbc6187fae4dc718ef334.jpg

The Shipping and Transport Building

ShippingandTransportofficebuilding.jpg.ac5d0b77aeb0e545130e0862a374d269.jpg

I bought some tulip bulbs that bloomed the next year.

tulipbulbfromRotterdam.jpg.fabd7fbc17955a2ca156bb68898b011f.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here! 

Happy Father's Day to all my fellow fathers. 

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 22

Good morning. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!

I'm not a fisherperson, I try not to panic and haven't been on a picnic in forever. Excellent quote. I'll pass on the meal (tofu), and maybe for the drink. Can't afford the wine. I'll salute Amelia Earhart.

I was in Rotterdam for the first time on my recent transatlantic. We did a ship tour that took us to Schiphol for our flight to Germany.

It's going to be another nice day, sunny, warm (high of 81), but we have an air quality alert. Next week it's going to be hot, with temps in the upper 80's and more humid. I don't have anything special planned for today. I never celebrated Father's Day, as I was adopted by a single female. Main task is laundry, which is challenging going up and down to the basement. I do have a PT appointment on Tuesday; I decided to go with a private group rather than one connected to the health system I use, as I wasn't happy with my sessions the last couple of years.

@grapau27 Thank you for the link to Fr. David's sermon, and letting us know his birthday. And I agree he looks younger without the beard.

@aliaschief Nice photos and it looks like you're having great time.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos. Good luck to Ren and his team today.

@kazu That sounds like a crazy storm!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you made it to London, but so sorry to hear about your bags. Some airlines on their app have a way to track bags. What does the airline have to say about this?

@ottahand7 The blooms are lovely.

@cruising sister Fingers crossed that the offer on the house is accepted.

@Cruising-along @Overhead Fred Thanks for the photos of Rotterdam.

Prayers for those in need and Cheers for those celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Last night we celebrated Father's  Day and two birthdays. DH turns 75 on the 30 th but will probably be in the hospital.

Aww - how nice!  Happy Birthday - early to your DH and the other birthday

IMG_9956.gif.18c1a6237101681c281144a395995d22.gif

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon from London. We are waiting for our room to be ready at the Sheraton Grand London. 

Glad you are there safely but…..

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Of the four pieces, two made it to Heathrow and two did not.  To be honest folks, I am tired of things going wrong.

I sure wish your luggage had gotten there safely, too.  I hear you, i had the same issue with my bag both trips - at least it was on the way home, though.  Air tags - at least that way you know where they are.  Thank heavens you are there a few days - I hope they catch up with you.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu Jacqui, some of the diehard fishermen in our community say that cloudy days and even days with light rain are the best fishing days.

If it was a light rain it would be fine - but it’s torrents at times and a cold one.  I doubt there are any fishermen out there today 😉 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

A few Rotterdam photos

View from the bow cam as we arrived

004-5.7-ViewfromthebowcamarrivinginRotterdam.thumb.jpg.5912220f632df675998b8c87cfd5bace.jpg

The NY Hotel, former HAL HQ (sorry, from the bus, with reflections)

005-5.7-TheNYHotelformerHollandAmericaLineOfficesRotterdam.thumb.jpg.6d8585234ed5ac058e336be07eb3ae43.jpg

De Hef, a historical vertical lift railroad bridge  

009-5.7-DeHefvertical-liftrailroadbridgeRotterdam.thumb.jpg.e0636e205f69226dc5ae029d1372b480.jpg

Interesting office building

010-5.7-InterestingbuildingRotterdam.thumb.jpg.46e655ca2f5b3a282ded30850c4d16b1.jpg

The Erasmusbrug (bridge)

011-5.7-TheErasmusbrug(TheSwan)overtheNieuweMaasriverRotterdam.thumb.jpg.722a7387e8b9b895f04543f12b039552.jpg

The Cube House, a hostel in Rotterdam

016-5.7-TheCubeHouse-StayokayHostelRotterdam.thumb.jpg.faaa94a4e1e9b10c3d8a7ba14eba4a20.jpg

A museum, mirrored on the outside, that looks like a giant salad bowl

017-5.7-MirroredArtDepotMuseumRotterdam.thumb.jpg.960274412bfb2469f5132d9e742050c0.jpg

Rotterdam V, now a hotel ship

022-5.7-SSRotterdamVHotelShipRotterdam.thumb.jpg.8ce8ad7edaea66688810fcf31234d262.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Hello everyone and Happy Father's Day! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Today is nice and sunny. Planning on doing some work on the deck and getting it all nice and pretty. 

I am also preparing for two new classes I will be teaching this week. 

Thinking about everyone.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 23

Good morning. Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was a quiet day for the most part.... the kind I really enjoy. Today things will be as near normal as they ever get. Dog walks, laundry, downsizing and reading.

I have not been to Rotterdam. Maybe in a year or so. And I have to pass on the meal since I do have a sensitivity to soy.... evidently not uncommon. I can take it in very small amounts but I am careful...and that it really too bad since I do like Asian foods. or I did like Asian foods.

Terri.... hope your bags made a speedy appearance. Years ago when I did the Central Kingdom Express train trip from Hong Kong to London, the entire group's bags disappeared in China for a couple of days. To say we were stressed is putting it mildly. They finally caught up with us in the middle of night at a hotel when they were delivered by hotel staff who took them up to our floor in the elevator and just tossed them out into the hall. The noise woke of them hitting the walls woke us (and everyone else on that floor) and at 2 in the morning we were sorting and dragging our bags into our rooms. But we were so glad to see them.... it was going to be long and very strange trip otherwise.

Susan

• Like 23

Good morning and Happy Father’s Day!  
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Rotterdam and sailing out of Rotterdam on the former Rotterdam.  A beautiful city, with wonderful restaurants and museums.   A very amazing experience!  
@smitty34877 our DHs share the same birthday!  Glad you had a nice celebration. 
@Cruzin Terri sorry to hear about your luggage,  from what I’m hearing it is all too common lately.  Good you allowed enough time for it to catch up.  And if you have credit card or travel insurance it should cover you right now for anything you need to purchase. We once arrived at Heathrow with only the clothes on our backs,  not fun, but easy not hauling luggage.  

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

A few new photos of Rotterdam and area from when we were with the Rotterdam VII  celebrating Holland America’s 150 Anniversary on April 18th , 2023.

Pictures of the Erasmus Bridge , Hotel New York , the former Holland America Line Headquarters and the SS Rotterdam V   Hotel / Museum 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a4b66dd4a6599f87107af8a4e43c391.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cde2269b2d15cd5e6d696b4dfcd35f44.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47dd3d81fbbabb7eb4fafe06f9d6608c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c094d23f591fb652b9805d23488692f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.317789b8a222c06bf399373b3824b790.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59dc4f70902d9099c2bd4ee3ad59dc57.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e8d809c86f8a8cd9d5ce44e209b66214.jpeg

About 65 years ago myself an my 2 younger brothers were present at the Christening of the SS Rotterdam on Sep 13 , 1958 by the then Queen Juliana of the Netherlands near Rotterdam ……..and last month I was finally able to get on board while we were for 2 days in Port ! 

image.jpeg.187a47893d9a89c58682d757855c03bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.e13af29c6038c65e781a98264e648dd5.jpeg

We were there ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.fdcd779ae3c997a435aba5989d7e2f17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c859f82704e09c57af047f969d57024d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cb7fd256701b845e576d15def34c744e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.19bb8c319cbdc2b5b0b97cd3e6187ed2.jpeg

image.jpeg.0bdc10e61a3bc7a8ac50a763578a7893.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3378b5bc95f2606b6f5debc57a3b99db.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.96f264fd1d7847207d57910bb7122fad.jpeg

From on top Hotel New York 

image.thumb.jpeg.d0ee1ef1707b4b3c81bff068987003da.jpeg

Departure Rotterdam

image.thumb.jpeg.3cf732fe6feeab7587c970ad8cc6ecd8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e4f0dc7597478dfcee031038062f9a7a.jpeg

These huge doors that in case of extreme high water levels could close the water way to prevent flooding of much of the grounds behind that are below sea level to flood .

Tony 😁😁
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Thank you all for the good wishes.  There was just a knock on our hotel room door and voila!  Our two bags arrived.

How nice to see them.  Other than being a bit wet because it is raining, they are in good shape.

What a relief.

Happy to be reunited with my clothes.

Terri

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you all for the good wishes.  There was just a knock on our hotel room door and voila!  Our two bags arrived.

How nice to see them.  Other than being a bit wet because it is raining, they are in good shape.

What a relief.

Happy to be reunited with my clothes.

Terri

Now it’s time to relax and enjoy your trip!

• Like 18

Good morning!

Happy Father's Day to all who celebrate. I'll be heading in to see DH in a few minutes and DS will call while I'm there. Today is the Skagit Symphony so right after lunch we'll get DH all cleaned up and in his good clothes. The local bus service, SKAT, will pick us up with a handicapped bus at 2:00 to go to the venue (McIntyre Hall at Skagit Valley College) and will pick us up at 5:00 to bring us back. This is a free service for which I'm very grateful. The symphony is "Cloak and Dagger" with James Bond movie themes, The Pink Panther, etc 

I'm not someone who panics - until maybe a bit later. After all DH's medical issues I've learned to stay calm and collected! I do admit to a slight "panic mode" at 7:30 AM today when the phone rang and it was the care facility. However the nurse was quick to let me know there was no problem and she just wanted to confirm our plans for heading out today. The heart rate went back to normal very quickly! I do have a friend who goes into panic mode over little things and calls melting down but it takes a few minutes and she's back to normal. It takes all kinds, right? 

Have a good day everyone! 

Karen

• Like 22

@durangoscots 🎂 Happy Belated Birthday 🎉. You are an inspiration to us!  

@Cruzin Terri So happy for you that you made it to London, your “new” plane tickets worked, your travels were pleasant and now your bags have all reunited with you, in your hotel room where you can finally breathe!  And rest.  Enjoy the stay in London!  

Happy Fathers Day to all who celebrate it and to Fr David too!  Nice to have him back with us!  

It’s a quiet day here. I made cinnamon rolls for DH but they didn’t rise right… it took me years to learn to cook and bake at 8700 ft, now I guess it’ll take as long back near sea level!  No picnic today but maybe Thursday as there will be a church picnic that afternoon. It’s a jam-packed week ahead ending with the married grandkids coming. DGD will help be pull stuff down from upper shelves in closets and start getting rid of some more. We brought more from NM than we should have partly I guess because we ran out of time, partly because we used our energy to tackle the bigger jobs. It’ll be a couple more years here but I’m finding that the years go by more quickly but the work more slowly. 

We looked at cruises yesterday but decided to wait till the timing is right. Counting my blessings!  DH has had good eye pressure readings with our at-home tonometer while on just the one eye drop med, and the eyes and skin are still improving with hardly any inflammation and allergic reaction- long haul since April 2022. Were not on the surgery docket for tomorrow , those went to folks in urgent need. We’ll wait of his August 1st slot and hope everything stays good. The eye that got the stent in late March consistently has lower pressure so it seems to be working!  🙏

@luvteaching Wonderful to hear DH is improving steadily. One day at a time is Everything!  

@smitty34877 Happy early birthday to DH!  🎂. We’re all on your side😉👍

Blessings to all in need, and Cheers to all celebrating. Safe travels to all away. 

Thanks everyone for all the amazing photos!  
Go Ren!  🥅

Maureen 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Fishing isn't in my immediate plans, but as of July 1 I'll be able to hang out a permanent "Gone Fishing" sign. It bothers me to have Panic Day and Picnic Day coincide.

I could envision making tofu wraps and I may even have the ingredients, but probably not Buffalo seasoned. Another pseudotini, even more pseudo than most? The wine is beyond my means and the principal grape, Grenache, blended into Rhône-style wines isn't grown in the Finger Lakes (it requires more heat), so I'll suggest Fulkerson Reserve Syrah, a variety that is usually part of the blend. I've been to various places in Holland but never Rotterdam.

I taught Hebrew and Prophets this morning. It was the last Prophets class and we finished II Kings.

The newsletter that I edit publishes graduation announcement for the families of members, but I've taken the stand that these can only be high-school and college graduations, no preschool--no matter how excited the grandparents are--or obedience school.

preschoolgraduation.thumb.jpg.e991a9e18c23bf0573ddbd0f002340d7.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 11