Never seen so many unhappy people on RCCL Cruise - Anthem out of UK

Just now, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve cruised the same itinerary on “o” class the last however many years since they started think it was on Harmony.

We only go because we enjoy that class of ship and most days you really do have it to yourself.

We normally only get off once and on this occasion we got the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples.

yes I did this in October on wonder. Stayed on ship more than usual. At least on wonder there was much more stuff to choose from in general. They had the entire back of the ship closed off behind the rear lifts as it was nowhere near capacity. 

downside is the room rates are significantly higher than out of the UK for 2 weeks. Although not really looked this year as going carribean in December on Arvia 

2 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

May want to check the reviews on MSC and P&O out of the UK, on their cruises you would see even more unhappy people. I added some new adjectives to my vocabulary, reading them. 

MSC Virtuoso out of South Hampton has a 3.0/5.0 score by Cruise Critic users. Anthem has 3.7/5.0.  Seems like MSC in the UK is lagging substantially behind Royal.  No wonder they have to give away drinks.  Nobody would cruise them if they weren't hammered.  🙂

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

I see Southampton in your future !!, July 2024 to be exact.  Looking forward to hopefully meeting you and @island ladyon that leg .

And yes there are trains from London to Amsterdam as far as i know

My plan is to tour the naval base in Portsmouth. See you next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

The 08.16 from London St Pancras gets into Amsterdam at 13.13 ( incl 1 hour time change).   From Amsterdam Centraal train station it is a 15 min walk to the cruise terminal so conceivably you could be on board before 2pm 🕑 .. which is under 5 hrs from leaving London. 

Train from MCO to Miami is 3 1/2 hours. 😱  All one state. You're going through 4 countries via a giant tunnel. Crazy

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

I've got a plan... Take Anthem out of the UK and send it to Los Angeles.  Apparently all the brits (with a couple exceptions on this thread 😉 ) hate it. I say they don't deserve her.  We'd love another ship over here. Maybe put her on a rotation doing 7. night Mexican riviera and 7 night California Coastal and keep Navigator doing the 3/4/7 day rotation she is doing.  I promise I'll book at least two extra cruises a year if they do.   Even if it is just part time in LA.  Maybe do 6 months here and add a ship to in Australia for 6 months.

Lets take a vote 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don’t necessarily agree with everything the op has posted but I can’t understand why people on CC are:

1. Dismissing the comments out of hand 

and 

2. In a mad rush to defend RC when everyone knows they’re cutting service and increasing costs. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't noticed any downgraded experience.

OK. That is your subjective opinion. Other people's opinions differ. 

From an objective quantifiable standpoint there has in fact been a downgrade: 1 stateroom service a day as opposed to 2. Half portions in izumi. Limit of 1 lobster tail on lobster night. Inability to order substitutions in MDR and having to wait for second dish when ordering two options from a course offering. No real half and half for coffee. Limit on the lemon slice size in drinks. Etc etc. I'm sure there are many more. 

These are all downgrades that can be quantified objectively. Downgraded quality of MDR food which is the biggest qualm I can think of right now is subjective. Sure, you can argue that these particular objective downgrades have not lowered the quality of your experience, but again, these are actual downgrades that lower the quality of many loyal RCL customers' experiences. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

I don’t necessarily agree with everything the op has posted but I can’t understand why people on CC are:

1. Dismissing the comments out of hand 

and 

2. In a mad rush to defend RC when everyone knows they’re cutting service and increasing costs. 

IMHO, more should encourage people to cancel all of their future cruises.  

Please.  

I'm sure we are not the only ones who are ok with the cut backs (since they don't really affect us), but want the costs to go back down.  The only real way that will happen is if sailing goes down a lot.

(but some of the comments directed at RC are to other passenger, so those should be dismissed)

50 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

Sure, you can argue that these particular objective downgrades have not lowered the quality of your experience, but again, these are actual downgrades that lower the quality of many loyal RCL customers' experiences. 

And yet if you come on here and respond to these threads by saying that you still have a great time and these downgrades have not lowered the quality of YOUR cruise, you're called a "cheerleader" or a "corporate shill" by a few people on here whose post counts consist mainly of some different verbiage saying "Royal sucks".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

And yet if you come on here and respond to these threads by saying that you still have a great time and these downgrades have not lowered the quality of YOUR cruise, you're called a "cheerleader" or a "corporate shill" by a few people on here whose post counts consist mainly of some different verbiage saying "Royal sucks".

Everyone has a right to their opinion and everyone's expectations and needs are necessarily different. I was responding to your comment that you didn't notice a downgraded experience - which is simply not true because the experience has in fact been downgraded. If that downgraded experience doesn't affect your enjoyment - fair enough.

IMHO people are mostly annoyed that prices have skyrocketed and the product has been degraded. 

The market can only bare what it can bare. So long as people pay and ships are full, RCCL has no reason to make any concessions. 

I cruise because it's convenient for me and I like cruising. I booked well in advance for all my upcoming sailings through January 2024. I didn't purchase drink packages or UDP because by the time I came around to it - prices were insane. I may get a couple of specialty dinners but that's it and only because the MDR is not the experience I previously enjoyed.

I am not as happy as I used to be and am no longer a cheerleader for RCCL because I don't see this as the bees knees anymore. I used to be up until about six months ago. 

I don't see value for the product I'm getting. If the prices didn't rise so much, I would be much more OK with the cutbacks. For the current price points, I will be looking elsewhere for sailings past January 2024. I may be happy or may be disappointed and come back, but before the current cut backs and price hikes I never even thought of booking another cruise line. Now it just seems like the smartest thing to do. For me. It's all subjective.

• Like 2

I don't know. WE love Anthem here.

Yes, it has same main shows, but RCI is not guilty we sail every year!

Shows on largest ships are created for particular ship. They will stay with ships.

Other entertainment changes.

If you take all 3 pool areas there are ENOUGH loungers, but it is a "winter" ship so part of them should be inside.

Give our Anthem back. 🙂

We love her for colder season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion and everyone's expectations and needs are necessarily different. I was responding to your comment that you didn't notice a downgraded experience - which is simply not true because the experience has in fact been downgraded. If that downgraded experience doesn't affect your enjoyment - fair enough.

So it's ok for you to tell someone that their opinion that they are not noticing the downgrades is not true (aka a lie), even though everyone has their right to their opinion and they have their own expectations.  That makes no sense.  

Then again, you see the downgrade, other's express that they don't.  Which one of those alternate opinions is telling you stay with RCI?  I have yet to see the alternate view tell the OP or any of the ones who are bothered to try it again.  

Honestly, if you complain now about the downgrade, and then cruise more and complain about it more- well that's all on you.  You knew the changes, you know your downgrades, you know the extra cost and still you may sail again.  Just don't. 

Unless you are ok with wasting your money.

Expressing yourself and being critical is fine.  That's what this board is for.  But at some point, if the experience is really so bad that you have to call others who don't share your experience "cheerleaders" or "employees"- you should ask yourself if you should find a better way to spend your money.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Also, cruise companies make most of their money on the fare, the rest is gravy.  

Actually, that's not true.  The opposite is true.  Cruise fare covers the basic costs, it is pre-cruise and onboard spending that create profits for the company.

This has been documented on any number of interesting shows on the cruise industry.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ukrccl_a said:

Really does doesn’t he.

Must have got off a totally different anthem that I just have.

Or maybe I got better service because I wasn’t determined to moan about everything and treat the crew with utter contempt?

Oh and MSC is garbage.

8 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

do you work for them with their name in your username lol

corporate shills on this forum clearly are out in force. 

Nice ad hominem attack, @Pandamonia .  That makes as much sense as my asking you, 

"Are you an endangered species of mammal?"

See how ridiculous it is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

also it’s worth noting that officially royal sailed 75% full in Europe compared to 100% full in the US.

That statement was made in Aug. 2022 addressing the restart of cruising and those numbers, the 75% figure in Europe was a restart number.  It was also attributed to lower demand during the restart especially since the US was requiring everyone coming back to the US to test for COVID.

In Nov. 2022 they updated the load factors and they noted that the stronger than expected Europe results were because of the end of US requiring tests to come home.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2022/11/03/royal-caribbean-rcl-q3-2022-earnings-call-transcri/

Both factors varied by itinerary with Caribbean averaging close to 105%, Alaska at about 96%, and Europe as expected at just under 90%. 

Fast forward to 2023 earnings calls:

Bookings for our European sailings have been nicely outpacing 2019 levels, with peak summer trending particularly well in recent weeks.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Exactly! Do people honestly think they are going to come on this board and make some really weird complaint (loungers in the wrong location and moved to inconvenient place). Claim these complaints are almost universally shared by their fellow cruisers.  That most peoples cruises were ruined by this.  Then expect everyone to pat them on the back in appreciation of the honest and objective review.  I constantly amazed that people express an opinion and then when there is push back or response throw the ad hominem "Cheerleader corporate shill" slur at anyone who might challenge their brilliant and wise  insight into all things Royal

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

That statement was made in Aug. 2022 addressing the restart of cruising and those numbers, the 75% figure in Europe was a restart number.  It was also attributed to lower demand during the restart especially since the US was requiring everyone coming back to the US to test for COVID.

In Nov. 2022 they updated the load factors and they noted that the stronger than expected Europe results were because of the end of US requiring tests to come home.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2022/11/03/royal-caribbean-rcl-q3-2022-earnings-call-transcri/

Both factors varied by itinerary with Caribbean averaging close to 105%, Alaska at about 96%, and Europe as expected at just under 90%. 

Please don't let facts get int he way of a good rant

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm still convinced rcl cruisers love complaining more than other lines. They really enjoy complaining. Other lines are cutting back just as much but royal in particular likes to complain. It's a art form..

Even the OP said he enjoyed the diamond lounge where everyone sat around complaining. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve cruised the same itinerary on “o” class the last however many years since they started think it was on Harmony.

We only go because we enjoy that class of ship and most days you really do have it to yourself.

We normally only get off once and on this occasion we got the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples.

I am with you on that. We really enjoy the oasis class of ships however the itinerary from barcelona is not for us. Done its many times, so we stay onboard.

However even though we love the oasis class we are and have booked on different cruise lines in the med for the itinerary. We got two weeks on P&O Azure including flights, sailing from Malta around the greek islands for less then one week on royal from barcelona. This is during school holidays.

It would be nice if royal did something different with oasis class around the med and of course lowered the prices. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

MSC Virtuoso out of South Hampton has a 3.0/5.0 score by Cruise Critic users. Anthem has 3.7/5.0.  Seems like MSC in the UK is lagging substantially behind Royal.  No wonder they have to give away drinks.  Nobody would cruise them if they weren't hammered.  🙂

As with any cruise and cruise line its down to how the individual enjoyed their cruise.

I dont like Anthem, the layout of the ship is not one i enjoy. 

I have been on MSC this year and whilst different the decor and layout of virtuosa was fantastic. 

I have also been on Oasis this year and loved the layout of the ship as well. 

As for the rest never had any issues with the staff on any cruise i have been on. They have all been nice and friendly as i have to them. I dont drink so not bothered with that and shows are hit and miss on all ships. Have to say food was even each in their own ways. Pizza better on royal, salad selection better on MSC. 

I will be more then happy to royal or MSC in the future just not on Anthem,

Indy id love her back in the UK. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

As with any cruise and cruise line its down to how the individual enjoyed their cruise.

I have been on MSC this year and whilst different the decor and layout of virtuosa was fantastic. 

As for the rest never had any issues with the staff on any cruise i have been on. They have all been nice and friendly as i have to them. I dont drink so not bothered with that and shows are hit and miss on all ships. Have to say food was even each in their own ways. Pizza better on royal, salad selection better on MSC. 

We sailed MSC Virtuosa earlier this year and have it booked again thought the ship design was excellent.

Food and entertainment was okay for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There’s a lot of negativity about Independence probably coming back to Southampton.

I am with you on that. We really enjoy the oasis class of ships however the itinerary from barcelona is not for us. Done its many times, so we stay onboard.

However even though we love the oasis class we are and have booked on different cruise lines in the med for the itinerary. We got two weeks on P&O Azure including flights, sailing from Malta around the greek islands for less then one week on royal from barcelona. This is during school holidays.

It would be nice if royal did something different with oasis class around the med and of course lowered the prices. 

Because of their size, O-class are limited in the ports they can visit. They’re too big for Greece or the Adriatic so they’re pretty much limited to the western Med circuit.