The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 6th, 2023

richwmn

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  I’d love some fried chicken if someone made it for me 😉. First time I’ve seen Umbrella Cover day that I can recall.  Mine is covering my spare propane tank 😆 

Good quote & yum - a white wine 🙂 Love Valencia and happy to go back there anytime 👍  So, I’ll return next year and see it and explore Sagunto as well.

@StLouisCruisers best wishes for your dermatologist appointments 🤞 

@smitty34877 I am so glad that your DH is home and that you are accepting help.  You need it.

@Denise T  so sorry to hear about your blood sugars.  That is so frustrating.  Hoping your doctor can help you resolve it next week.

Baby Murphy is in my thoughts and prayers for surgery today 🙏🏻 

Another follow up scheduled today (nothing serious).  Not much else planned yet other than Ivan care.  I’ll be glad when the vet gets here tomorrow.  Ivan improves & then crashes right back.  Depressing.  So far my score is Ivan 5 - pill pockets - 0.  I even gave him his first one with steak in it to introduce him.  Oh well.  I still have some steak.  Guess I get no leftovers.

IMG_3912.thumb.jpeg.fa1758c58e55453e50e0497ddef854f8.jpeg

Finally, my begonias have stared to bloom.

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.018bce386b24ea1ae24b449c81a18a60.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses - human and fur baby & those with health issues.  Cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_1739.thumb.jpeg.26874fb80540857f3dea09809ca42398.jpeg

Have a great Thursday!

IMG_1740.thumb.jpeg.dc34b17649c08f4e63ebb242f8e84988.jpeg

IMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.9f50aed3c3164eb0ba8413dad6ead2a5.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 7

IMG_7624.jpeg.9ee2df66d5dabc0fe4a489a00baec4ea.jpeg

Fried chicken is my DHs favorite but I don’t fry food.  His favorite is from Royal Farm Store, recognized by Food & Wine magazine as one of the 10 gas stations foods in the country that deserve a detour.  I suggest you order a chicken box, another Baltimore tradition.

IMG_7627.jpeg.ca640ea23b6a4b4ccc88ebe9ce5080e4.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need the.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_7626.thumb.jpeg.9550dbf94ee26c0c3764a7cc2a76834e.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Haha 3

Good morning,

Thanks for all the baby Murphy prayers. Last I heard she is the second case of the day starting around 1pm. I will update as I hear anything.

It is a beautifully cool day today. DGS has a soccer and baseball game tonight. He has a two week overlap of sports. I will try to make both. 

I love fried chicken but tend to buy it rather than make it myself. I like the quote and I am really trying to do better with the positive thinking. 

Prayers and well wishes to all. Have a great day. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Another hot day here and possible thundershowers building, too. 

question: does anyone use an induction range? I want to replace my electric stove some time before the end of the year. I am getting error codes and since it is 30 years old replacement parts are non existent. I know that I need to use pans and pots that a magnet will attach to and they need to fit the burners exactly to work properly. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. 

wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

@cruising sister  I'll be sending positive thoughts towards baby Murphy today.  Hoping surgery goes well.  

I felt your pain about the loneliness of the holiday.  Singles, for whatever reason, are often on their own for holidays.  For years I never celebrated holidays like the 4th.  It was just another day to me.  Then, I decided to host a celebration for those who were in the same situation.  That turned out well and became kind of a tradition until Covid hit.   Big celebrations I always traveled to Michigan where my family was.  It was really hard after my dad died as there was no where to go.  I decided that I had to create my own type of celebration.   Now that Sue and I have our own home in Michigan, we devise our own celebrations.  For the 4th we invited siblings in town to join us for a cook out.  To our surprise, they accepted the invitation.  I also invited the man across the street who is single.  He was celebrating by doing yard work.   I try to include singles who may be on their own when I can.

@smitty34877 That is wonderful that Lou is home.  Recovery is always faster at home.   Less chance of picking up an infection as well.  

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear that the PT initially caused more problems.  As Terry said, give it time.  PT can work miracles.  

Kissing Day and Fried Chicken Day sound good to me!   I have an umbrella with a cover that I bought in Quebec.  Sue and I walked from the ship up to the old section in search of onion soup and crepes.  We found a delightful restaurant mostly frequented by locals and had the best crepes ever.  The onion soup was pretty good as well.  When we left the restaurant, the skies opened up and we were hit by a deluge.  We managed to get to a pharmacy that sold umbrellas and picked out our Canadian umbrellas - favorites of ours ever since.  

Today is a dreary day that promises lower temperatures, but high humidity and rain.  We've nixed the outdoor walk figuring that as soon as we get away from the house it will start to rain.  

Today's meal sounds yummy, but it is not for those who are counting calories.   I'd leave out the pasta (carbs) and probably cut down the amount of heavy cream.   You don't want to substitute a lighter version of cream as it can curdle and then looks terrible.    https://www.aheadofthyme.com/creamy-shrimp-pasta-with-sun-dried-tomatoes/

shriimppastawithsundriedtomatoes1.thumb.jpg.af9ade6335f4270ec965d89514f5f290.jpg

This one is similar with slightly different seasoning.  You can choose what you want to put it over - mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, riced cauliflower.   https://www.saltandlavender.com/creamy-garlic-shrimp-with-sun-dried-tomatoes-and-basil/

shrimppastawithsundriedtomatoes2.thumb.jpg.b46d6049ad8e5023f4af0876837e3173.jpg

This last recipe uses some crushed red pepper flakes to spice things up a bit.  It also uses half and half instead of heavy cream.  Hmmm   https://juliasalbum.com/garlic-shrimp-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-with-pasta-in-spicy-creamy-sauce/

shrimppastawithsundriedtomatoes3.thumb.jpg.519fe70f142764bf5c863088dea72c3c.jpg

I hope you can find a recipe you like here.  Tweak it here and there and make it your own!  

I hope @marshhawk gets good news today and that Chuck has a defined treatment plan.   Hope to hear from you!

Wishing everyone a great day today!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

17 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Another hot day here and possible thundershowers building, too. 

question: does anyone use an induction range? I want to replace my electric stove some time before the end of the year. I am getting error codes and since it is 30 years old replacement parts are non existent. I know that I need to use pans and pots that a magnet will attach to and they need to fit the burners exactly to work properly. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. 

wishing everyone a great day.

I loved my induction cook top. I found most of my pans I had worked and did not need to replace any. I loved the fact that it heated up quickly and cooled down fast. The best part is that it only got hot under the pan which made clean up a breeze. I did not need to make sure that the pans fit perfectly so I don’t  know where you read or heard that. It only gets hot under the pan despite the size of the burner. I had mine for over 10 years before I moved and it was still working well. I hope that helps. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning to All!

Thanks for the information.  Not a fan of kissing, fried chicken in an air fryer is good, and all my umbrellas have covers.  

I live by that quote.  The meaning hit me hard in the early 2000s when I took off to explore the US via travel nursing.  Scary but exciting at the same time.  I decided right then that if I ever wanted to do something or go somewhere, I had to change the way I thought.  And I never looked back!!

Food and drink sounds interesting and I will get to go to Valencia next year!

Another hot one here today.  Boy, I wish the monsoons would start.  But then that brings the humidity up.  What a dilemma!!  Going to the gym later than during the school year as I work out with teachers and we are all off in the summer.  Worked on my world map with country flags yesterday and since I also had US state, Canadian provinces, and Australian state flags I added those.  There seems to be a couple of flags missing but I have to go through to figure out which ones.  

Thinking of little Murphy today.  I totally understand the feelings.  Thoughts for all on the care list and Cheers to all celebrating and cruising!!

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'll have to let DH know it's kissing day, although we kiss every day.  I love the Buttermilk Fried Chicken that HAL used to serve for lunch on embarkation day.  We had an umbrella cover blow into our back yard a few years ago during a storm - never did find out who the owners were, despite checking with neighbours up and down our block.

Sending up prayers for little baby Murphy this morning and for her surgical team.

@smitty34877I'm happy to hear Lou is home and that your family is picking up many of the tasks that you've taken on this past while.

@summer slopeI know what it's like the day after a furbaby goes over the Rainbow Bridge, expecting to see or hear them wandering around the house, etc.  Thinking of you today.

We've got a beautiful morning out there already, clear skies, a bare hint of a breeze, and I just saw a hot air balloon silently glide over our house.  The weather is perfect for hot air balloons this morning - wish I was up in one!  Today I've got to get the ice maker out (we have an old fridge that doesn't have the water/ice feature) and start making ice for Saturday.  I moved the smokies (all 150 of them) from the freezer to the bottom of the spare fridge so they could slowly thaw and to make room for the ice we'll need.  Today I have to go out and order the slab cake so we can pick it up on Saturday morning.

My plans for yesterday's dinner were abruptly changed when I looked at what I thought was chicken breasts, but turned out to be a small pork roast.  Instead of cooking the chicken in the air fryer for chicken Caesar salads, I plugged the crock pot in on the deck, tossed in the roast, potatoes, carrots, celery, sprinkled it all with onion soup mix and some water and let it cook all day.  DH enjoyed it so much that he even had a second helping as a bedtime snack.  I'm sure we'd enjoy today's menu suggestion, but I don't have to cook tonight - it's DH's daughter's birthday and she wants all of us to go to Red Lobster for dinner.  I'm pretty sure I'll be having their garlic shrimp special and whatever comes with it as a side for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. 

I will start off by praying for each of you on our care list. For those that have lost loved ones and beloved pets. For those who are sick or have other issues they must deal with. I would love to see our care list shrink and celebration list expand.

Today (if VA doesn't cancel again) I take Allen for testing and bloodwork. We have to drive 28 miles to an approved lab. 3 more separate appts this month. I think they do this so our vets get fed up and give up. I called VA with a complaint and it's in Allen's file. 

Took my little house guest for her walk this morning. She wasn't up to walking to the pecan grove so we made a turn around and she nearly trotted home. I made her chicken and peas last night to mix with her cereal and she danced around the kitchen. Her parents are flying home from Iceland today after an NCL cruise. 

I'll be outside in a few minutes to pull weeds, water plants, feed birds and blow off the patio. I love my new leaf blower. It has 2 rechargeable batteries and weighs hardly anything. Each battery last 20 minutes., more than enough for the patio and garage.

I would love any of the recipes from Debbie today. They all sound delicious. 

Thank you to Rich and our lovely food and beverage department ladies.

I think I will go wake my sweet husband with a big kiss! Have a great day and know you are loved.

image.png.7190c52171c205dbcfb5c750a6f46b47.png

image.png.5bd2ff4892f2a05cc1912c88a04f9082.png

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's 70 and will be sunny this morning.  However it will cloud up this afternoon, rise to 90 degrees and 30% chance of rain.  We did have a little rain yesterday but it didn't become severe. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  An interesting group of days.  Kissing day should go over well with the crowd as well as fried chicken day.  I'm pretty sure most of us don't have a use for umbrella covers though.  The creamy shrimp pasta sounds unique and I'm sure Debbie @dfish found a recipe for it somewhere.  I wonder if anyone here will attempt to make a Devil in the Morning?  The chardonnay is at least a white wine after quite a few reds.  Thank you Debbie, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today!

I've said my prayers while walking earlier and there are many in need of them.  Hoping for improvement for those who are ailing.  DB and friend's DB Mark are at the top of my list.  Special prayer for Baby Murphy who is going through her surgery today. 🙏  Hoping Dixie @summer slope and George are coping with their loss yesterday.  Hugs to you both!  Congratulations to the Celebration list people today.  Enjoy your happy events and cruises, everyone.  I know of 3 people who are celebrating a birthday on July 6 so happy birthday to them!  One is DH's now 95 year old uncle. 🎂  Cheers to him!🥂  Thanks for Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists.  Hoping we hear from Annie @marshhawk today.

The port this morning is Valencia, Spain.  We had that port on May 10, 2021 and Jan. 18, 2022.  I'll post the links and I hope you can use them to copy your photos and bring them over here.  Valencia is a lovely port and I'm sure quite a few of you have been there at least once.  Our visit was on the Prinsendam in 2018.

We were in Valencia, Spain on our 2018 Prinsendam Grand Voyage (Africa and Mediterranean).  It was a cloudy Sunday morning and we got into town by shuttle bus quite early.  No crowds but very little open either.  By the time we had walked all around the old town part it was beginning to wake up a little.

The entrance we were dropped off at.enhance

enhance

One of the few things open was this market.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The door to this "museum" was standing open, free admission so we stepped inside to see what it was all about.  Basically, this was all we saw.  A foyer...enhance

And this beautiful room.  Check out that ceiling!   Now that's ornate...enhance

To continue on...enhance

enhance

Arriving at the Valencia Cathedral we stepped inside for a look.enhance

enhance

Those ceilings!enhance

We walked around the old town some more and found a different gate out.  Then had to find the shuttle bus stop which we finally did.  An interesting stroll around Valencia.

We have our dermatologist appointments this morning so will be heading out in a couple hours.  Hoping we have nothing serious show up and we don't need to go back for a year.  🤞  Have a safe and productive day everyone!

Nice photos Sandi.

I hope you both get the All Clear at your Dermatologist appointments today.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I know my doc says it's a pinched nerve in my elbow, but the truth is the pain that shoots from my spine to the shoulder blade is what has kept me off the computer.  The hand feels like it's asleep, and the elbow? enh not much pain.  Its the back that hurts!  

On the 4th, I got up and put heat on my back for an hour.  Then I braved up, made pasta salad, and crock pot ribs, sat back down, put the heat back on and binged Doctor Blake all day.  If I didn't move, kept the heat on the back it was the first full day (well from 10-10) that i had no pain.  

Today I go for an MRI to see how the tumor in my lung is doing.  Chuck goes back to his doc on the 20th to see if he qualifies for a new form of chemo.  Tomorrow back to physical therapy for me. Not only did my NY campaign end this past weekend, but my Arizona Opera gig ends this Friday. It was supposed to last until the end of July.  So as of  Friday I am down to 10 hours a week working.  Not so great financially, but in reality I need less work time, and more care of both myself and Chuck time.  My "boss" is looking for more work for me in another campaign, but I am going to a California campaign at the end of July.

@Denise TI had covid in May, and since then my blood sugar and blood pressure have both gone up. I think that the weakness in my muscles was also caused by the Covid.  My doc said that the muscles got weak and pinched the nerve, which is why I am in pain. I was pretty strong before I got on the ship, and was a blob when I got off, and that got worse when we got home.  Good luck, I hope your doc can help you.

There has been a cute black and white stray cat that has been munching on our left over cat food, for several years.  Fawn hated her, and chased her away, but with Fawn gone, "Slinky" is coming in to feed twice a day.  She is very scared of humans, but if I sit on the porch, I can see her before she knows I am there.  I noticed the other day that she is a mom...or about to be.  I told DH my discovery and he said, oh no kittens!  But then he realized, oh wow kittens....I think Slinky is living in an old dog house in the back 40(very wooded thicket in the back)  he realized that the house has no roof, so he wants to put a tarp over it so that if she is in there with her kittens, they wont get drowned in the extreme rain falls we are getting.  

a2ea7f8d3e71da39f51048383343c5ce.jpg

• Like 33

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm planning to change to one. I've already begun replacing pans.

I have more than enough pans that are magnetic but I will have lots to get rid of including some lagostina pans that no magnet will stick to even though they are stainless steel.  

have you narrowed your research to a favourite? So far I have eliminated lg since there are many not so good reviews.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I loved my induction cook top. I found most of my pans I had worked and did not need to replace any. I loved the fact that it heated up quickly and cooled down fast. The best part is that it only got hot under the pan which made clean up a breeze. I did not need to make sure that the pans fit perfectly so I don’t  know where you read or heard that. It only gets hot under the pan despite the size of the burner. I had mine for over 10 years before I moved and it was still working well. I hope that helps. 

The pan fit idea comes from reviews I have read but May have been specific for lg brand. Haven’t found any great reviews about lg.

• Like 14