Best Destination for a Summer Cruise

corb134

What part of the world do you live in? How far are you willing to fly to reach your embarkation port? This summer? Do you have a passport?

Without more info it's pointless making suggestions that don't fit within your parameters.

agree with the others that your question is simply on e where no one can really guide you towards what it is you want.

Personally I would avoid most of Europe, particularly the Med, as it is busy , crowded, hot and thats not my jam. 

I would head to the far north to experience the Midnight Sun; Iceland, Greenland , Svalbard, Norway

24 minutes ago, corb134 said:

I live in Michigan. No Passport but will be working on them soon. Willing to fly anywhere,  I always enjoy history.    

I repeat, Alaska -- choosing an itinerary that includes Skagway for the history of the goldrush. Ketchikan for the history and culture of the Natives there, too.

Of course, northern Europe has its own history.

Also welcome to Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

Northern Europe, Baltic, UK, Iceland…

I would avoid the Med. In summer, particularly July and August.   Beastly hot and August is the month many Europeans have vacations, so places are crowded.  Leave the Med for the shoulder seasons.  It’s probably hot in MI in the summer, so go somewhere cooler, leave the Caribbean for winter.  EM

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

There is history everywhere of course, but I have found all of Europe to have very interesting history.

For starters get busy on getting a passport if you want to cruise just about anywhere other than the Caribbean. 

• Like 2

Svalbard would be a really great place to spend a week or so.  There is great scenery there.  You might even see some polar bears.  My brother did a summer cruise to eastern Greenland and got some incredible pictures there.

DON

22 hours ago, corb134 said:

I live in Michigan. No Passport but will be working on them soon. Willing to fly anywhere,  I always enjoy history.    

Northern Europe in Summer: Norway is lovely, but the history is more focussed on Norwegian Vikings, whereas going to a multi-country Northern Europe you will various different histories. 

The Med is great for history (some ports better than others) but I would avoid July and August. If you are restricted to Summer only then Early June or September are usually good options: may be a little busy, but better weather (and not too hot).

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 2:39 PM, corb134 said:

I a planning of going on a cruise. I just wonder what are the best destinations to go to? 

Unless you have a large budget, it is best to think of a cruise sailing from a port not too far from where you live.  From Detroit, you might consider a New England/Canada cruise from New York or Boston, or an Alaska cruise from Seattle or Vancouver.  Traveling to Europe or Australia would likely more than double your cost - a bit silly if you do not even know you might enjoy cruising.

As shocking as this is, I agree with NBT. Best to get at least one relatively local cruise under your belt before going further afield. A summer New England /Canada cruise would work,  but would require a passport. Or, if you want to fly to the west coast a Pacific coastal cruise, or an Alaska cruise out of Seattle could work if you still don't have a passport

Edited by mom says

On 7/25/2023 at 12:09 AM, ldubs said:

I would add Australia - New Zealand.

I would love to go there, it's been on my bucket list for so long, but I don't think it will happen in the next few years, since I can't really afford it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Willking said:

I would love to go there, it's been on my bucket list for so long, but I don't think it will happen in the next few years, since I can't really afford it

Airfares right now are bonkers!  Even if a good cruise deal is found in the land Down Under, getting there can blow the budget.    

7 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

Most long time cruisers will tell you that the A B C's are the best cruise. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. 

If the op goes Caribbean, I cannot disagree with this.  My favorite is Bonaire.  🙂

No passport really limits choices.  And, with the passport backlog, don't think OP could have obtained a passport to travel this summer out-of-the country.  Choices are pretty limited, as most ships leave the Caribbean in the summer.