richwmn

Today is Culinarians Day, National Chili Dog Day, and Threading the Needle Day

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
Drink of the Day - Espresso Martini
Wine of the Day - D'arenberg - Gsm Stump Jump Red Mclaren Vale 2017
Destination of the Day - Singapore

Today in History:
1814 English engineer George Stephenson introduces his first steam locomotive, a travelling engine designed for hauling coal on the Killingworth wagonway named Blücher

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 26 Jul

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 0800-1900

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 0700-1600

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 26 Jul

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

Sydney, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

0725World.thumb.png.88196f2d2b8a22a7b36735cd11e7c706.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A nice summer day in store for us today, we should have a high of 27°C (81°F) and sunny this afternoon.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk soon before the pavement gets too hot for his little feet.

A nice collections of days.  I try to be a culinarian sometimes, but mostly I'm just a cook.  I'll pass on Chili Dogs.  The literal meaning of threading the needle becomes more difficult as I get older and my eyesight gets worse. 

The meal sounds great.  I'll pass on the drink and look forward to reading about the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Espresso Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce coffee liqueur (usually Kahlúa)
1 ounce espresso, freshly brewed (or cold brew concentrate)
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: coffee beans

Steps
Add vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 3 coffee beans.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 6.52.56 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Fleet Reports @richwmn.   Nice that culinarians have their day. We could have chili dogs because we had all the ingredients. No sewing today and I hope I have no other needle threading today.  A very famous quote from Twain. Garlic shrimp sounds great, will take my espresso neat but the Stump Jump is another good D'Arenburg wine.   Cheaper and easier to find than the Laughing Magpie. Haven't been to Singapore. 

Prayers for @mamaofami DH Sam.  Prayers for baby Murphy.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  

@Crazy For Cats beautiful view from near Halifax.  

Sitting in a really cold house this morning. It went down into the high 40s but going to 90 today.   We have three hot days coming up and with no AC we get the logs as cool as we can, shut the cabin up and trap the cool air inside.  Another smoke warning today, it really affects my stamina.   Have a wonderful day!  Nancy 

My tomato plants are doing well. 

IMG_20230724_123603267_HDR.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich @richwmn.

It is currently 62°F and sunny but rain is forecast this afternoon.

3 interesting days.

I like hot dogs with onions and tomato ketchup on.

Today's food sounds nice.

Today's day in history took place about 25 miles from our home.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Screenshot_20230725_115214.jpg

Screenshot_20230725_115610.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Back from a very relaxing weekend at Squam Lake, I miss the sound of the loons calling.  Chef’s hat off to all the culinarians out there.  I love a good chili dog, preferably from National Coney Island.  Threading the needle is a great shoulder stretch in yoga.  Funny quote by Mr. Twain.  The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but a nephew worked there for a couple of years and loved it.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for everyone on this thread for all worries and tribulations to be lifted today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

Good morning friends!  What a pretty morning here!  It's is 66F and we will see sunny skies but a high temp of 93.  As long as I stay in my air conditioned environment, I'm fine with that.  I have a hair appointment this morning and my stylist texted me she is good to go today after a knee procedure last Tuesday.  She can always pull up a stool and sit down to work if her knee starts to bother her.  She's a trooper and as owner of the salon, a dedicated to work individual.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Interesting group of days to celebrate.  But first let me add a very important day - Hire a Veteran Day.  We want those who serve our country to find good jobs after their service.  Now let's talk about Culinarians Day which honors cooks, chefs, bakers, etc.  I certainly appreciate those individuals.  National Chili Dog Day deserves a little praise once in a while.  We only have them occasionally here at my house.  And Threading the Needle Day...I would bet this has many different meanings.  But the task of just threading a needle gets harder all the time.  I'm sure I've heard that term regarding sports too.  Now the quote from Mark Twain is one of my favorites of his.  The meal suggestion, garlic shrimp stir fry sounds great.  I'm not a fan of espresso so will leave the cocktail to others.  And thank you to the red wine.  Thanks go out to Tina @0106 . Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your hard work reporting on the food and beverages.  The day in history in 1814 must have been very important in the world of transportation way back then.

Prayers abound for our people on the Care list, especially Lou and Chuck, DHs of our Terry @smitty34877 and Annie @marshhawk.  Also to Baby Murphy and her family, my DB and my friend's DB Mark. 🙏 Joy @Seasick Sailor I'm sorry to hear of the runaround the VA is giving you and Allen.  As for celebrations, three cheers for all on the Celebration list and for Roy @rafinmd who has set his sights on travel again!🥂 

Interesting news in our family is today DS will drive his DW's SUV to Springfield Missouri where he will spend the night.  Then tomorrow he finishes the drive to Frisco, Texas where they are renting an apartment for Ren and his DM to live during his time at FC Dallas Academy.  Ren will arrive by plane tomorrow evening and begin workouts Thursday.  I'm not sure when his high school classes begin but probably before too long.  Safe travels to DS and my prayers go with him as he travels.

Oh boy, today's port is once again Singapore!  Last and only time we had it here on the Daily was December 24, 2022.  We were on our drive to Cincinnati for Christmas so I was a late poster that day.  Here is the link to Roy's post on December 24.  We have spent time on land trips there as well as cruised through or from Singapore due to DS's sabbatical there twice, a year at a time.  I think I will post the photos in a separate post.  Hoping everyone here has a fabulous Tuesday!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Our first time in Singapore was in January 2007 when DGS Ren was born there.  I was able to stay 3 weeks and DH stayed maybe 8 days and went back to the US to work.  Our DS was taking his first sabbatical from his U-M professorship over in Singapore because that is where our DDIL's parents lived.  They were able to spend a lot of quality time with the two of them during that time period.  Right in the middle of their 10 or 11 months there was Ren's due date, so we made plans ahead of time to arrive a week or so later and it worked out fine.  We had a great visit and were able to get some good cuddling in with him even though they lived so far from all of us.  

Second trip was a cruise with friends from Myrtle Beach on Diamond Princess from Bangkok to Anchorage.  We had a really nice time with them.  DDIL's Mom picked us up on our port stop in Singapore and she spent the day showing us (and our friends who hadn't been there before) some great sights, and both DDIL's Mom and Dad were able to be there for a nice lunch at the American Club.  

The last time we were there was in 2013 during DS's second sabbatical.  We found a group of cruises that left from Singapore, and went to Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand.  At the end of the cruise we flew home from Auckland on Christmas Eve.  At the beginning of the cruise we flew over to Singapore and spent about 8 days visiting the kids before they dropped us off at the ship.  I have some nice photos from that trip.  

The first day in 2013 (after a good sleep) we went to the boys' school (just down the street from their apartment) which was having an International Day assembly.  There were students from about 80 countries represented and all the parents would cheer when their children and the other children from that country marched out.  This school was called the Canadian International School.  DS and DDIL checked out several schools before they moved over to make sure they got the type of education they needed.  Here is a photo after all the students marched out and sat down.  We enjoyed our visit to the school that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKYpsedOwQcFDROg8Bkh56G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700619

Some of the American kids.  Ren is in that picture.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5xOHIetGaij9uWliYoiTp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700586

We took the MRT train downtown one day to see the Orchard Road shopping area.  It was quite nice.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJF_OXZbgkkz8n0SDk7ZyMQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700635

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_cOHqZhZjB_G6SDrEeZeI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700646

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7FacUtfRY221DGlI_tuq-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700649

Another day we visited the Nanyang Technological University where DS was a visiting professor during his sabbatical.  It was all very, very nice.  They like things neat in Singapore!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_e8ZFvsJUID_g5rtZGslv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700750

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6yXmpKAbuu_u0HT_8sC95?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700753

One night we went down to the Marina and ate dinner.  Here is the Merlion near the restaurant.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIb5SpeJzefd9Ml9dGIlGjO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700926

We saw the beautiful Marina Bay Sands hotel lit up at night.  Gorgeous!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhtSFkEpabJrsGfg5RvLVN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700941

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ22I5IWCkK2cLtjibS9sUP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700933

Another day we went to the Singapore Botanic Garden.  We spent most of our time in the orchid section and I must have 50 photos of orchids so can't share them all here.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLF9jh1p-zz_Ps27U3SE8yd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700998

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItz6rKTuDdUwjhCO7nwsPH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700997

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzP1rHXNnRDOefhTuKBlHh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701105

The following day DDIL, DH and I went downtown on the MRT to see the National Art Museum.  The art exhibits on the grounds were really interesting.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuAFwaAbjtk_AvuUcOAej-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701148

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2VZi7Rh8uKzcsMYFLMqlO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701139

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI4fUOqhsojdDQDVRpbla15?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701134

Later that day we went to the far western side of the little island nation to Raffles Marina to celebrate DS's birthday.  His in-laws had a membership there.  The kids really enjoyed the pool before dinner.  You can see the bridge from Singapore to Malaysia from the marina there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhhZShUSq9ow9VxJsh8Cl5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701226

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEojQYpOIi7vQx68yfXcJj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701242

Our last full day before the cruise DS took us up to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel.  Wow, what a view!  Here's the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest seen from way up high.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINDeDdTnA3LOp4ZFgj4zs4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701320

The amazing Gardens by the Bay00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj-PQ2ITmqnWbdY-4Bvxa5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701317

I zooomed in to show the new, at the time, International Cruise Ship terminal.  We would be there the following day boarding Diamond Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_A5SpjzJ51Dq66L-uCtpZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701316

Holding my camera way out00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK2whmLxlkZYRbYT5th4rUP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701310

The Singapore Flyer

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3UN46Y9OYzvxV01sjH5lw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701322

Guests in the infinity pool.  Can you imagine what that view is like?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLUVM-7znx9QdyU0zu6Cgp3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701341

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEuSf9eZP2Qw_1RfI7QH5y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701345

Merlion is down there00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9PUFFCdTiiXeSU4TRvVXE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701334

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhsOgM4_fHp-i-b_R8NXGD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701337

To me Singapore is the most amazing place to visit in the entire region.   Glad I could spend so much time there.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  I'm not really a culinarian, but will honor threading the needle.  I love the Twain quote.  Been to Singapore 3 times, 2010 on Queen Victoria as a port of call, embarked Zaandam there in 2012,  In 2014 I never left the dock as I walked across a few times moving from Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity.  I will definitely celebrate the steam engine.  I'll pass on both the meal and the Chili Dog.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Chilled Anjou Pear Soup and Penne Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast as served on MS Prinsendam July 25, 2011.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, back on ECMO

Ger_77’s friends’ bad news

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Mamaofami’s DH Sam in hospital with brain bleeds after falling out of bed

Summer slope with a health issue

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

4 missing in Nova Scotia due to flooding

6 deaths in Bucks County flash flooding; 1 child still missing

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s twin worried about a loved one and her Golden Madi

Marshhawk with pinched nerve

Catmando with recurrence of eye infection

Rafinmd working on getting stronger following pneumonia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good report for Vict0riann’s Pat from the surgeon

Dobiemom with a good report from the eye surgeon

Cunnorl freed from restrictions

Denise T’s new puppy Fancy

Ger_77 at the lake visiting friends

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for StLouisCruisers (Zaandam July 29 to Aug 23) DH 75th BD and 54th anniversary

5 days for AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam July 30 to Aug 13)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23) + 3 days in Copenhagen, Crazy For Cats (Zaandam to July 29), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Aug 1), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. It is a lovely morning here after another round of afternoon T-storms yesterday. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with everything that goes on here. Espresso martinis - or fauxtinis, if you prefer are my go to pre-dinner drink on a cruise.  Gym, Bindi walks, chores and then a gathering of friends at the local wine bar to continue celebrating our friend entering a new decade of her life!

IMG_1521.jpeg.50b8495af41990eaf04120a9f96cf63d.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg.0a6793f5ebd778919dfa51c68a35d73e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Gsm Stump Jump Red Mclaren Vale 2017

I have enjoyed the Stump Jump red & white blends, so I suspect that I would enjoy this GSM. Excellent consumer & critic reviews, and available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at a very reasonable $10.49.

Winemaker Notes

This wine screams value. A rich ruby red appearance with a fragrant nose of raspberry, a hint of dark cherry and spice. Silky texture on the palate, but with a juicy fruit core that shows plum, red berries, and a savory finish. There are lovely soft tannins and some slight acidity. The fruit weight and silkyness means this wine can be enjoyed now, but it will keep developing over time.

Blend: 46% Grenache, 42% Shiraz, 12% Mourvedre

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

Ripe, fleshy blueberries and raspberries drive this red blend without too much oak getting in the way. There's an underbelly of flowers, cinnamon and peppery spice. The tannins are typically muscular, while the fruit is juicy, silky and fresh. Best Buys

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

I love today's quote. Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) and O.Henry are my two favorite authors from that era. Although Clemens was older, they both died in 1910, two months apart.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Little cooler out side this morning at 74 and will top off at 91. Main thing is no rain in forecast. Our granddaughter is still sleeping so we are both enjoying some quiet time. The girls are going to see the new movie Barbie this morning. 
We’ll be spending an overnight in Singapore so thanks for pics, would love a chili hot dog ( a dream) and definitely support hiring a vet day.

Hope we hear some positive reports on baby Murphy and Carol’s Sam today.

Thanks to all who make the Daily happen. Bruce

image.jpeg.79f9919b2dd1111d326d75a8ce19a36f.jpegimage.jpeg.af7e50b2314e9d76629bba507f4b9bc1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6e35280eca844ddfcb267890c3c97c8b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3bd8a7164cd835e05c10681737508792.jpegimage.jpeg.57e1dfbd356aba692043a74fb0e1c7ba.jpegimage.jpeg.52d9800f8a0b62e4e5a1956fb27eb44c.jpegimage.jpeg.b69d159bbd9ee4c6819c335aae02b794.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 19

Happy Culinarians Day! A day to cook up some fantastic dishes in your kitchen. Challenge yourself and make something that you’ve never made before. If you don’t cook, go out to a restaurant to eat. Don’t forget to compliment the chef. Or you could always have a chili dog.

I make stir fry at least once a week.  I use whatever I have in the refrigerator.  I stir fry the vegetables, take out a portion for me.  Add the meat to my DH’s portion.  We are both happy.  If you don’t like shrimp, it would be easy to substitute chicken, pork or beef.  I often use the leftover meat I have in the refrigerator.

This first Garlic Shrimp Stirfry. has a delicious looking sauce.  So much better than the bottled stir fry sauces you get in the grocery store.  It uses red bell pepper, asparagus and snow peas but you can use any vegetables.  It is served over rice: I usually make brown rice but you could use cauliflower rice if you are watching your carbs. One of the best parts is you can have this meal on the table in 30 minutes.

gpIgc6hyaVU_pOv6Hi1vey9tanTxIAKjlf0FEJdi4O3b-yUlajS4XY0gaom6YUUzDPTXk0XLDvnh1JGhNV_bDAyyfnHz7RqdS4Y5izHhZ_6BRc0HdWIMd6wyHFkQ5fBBLqTrssdNI-P9qdJJW6O0bfM

This Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry contains a third cup of honey making for a sweet and sticky sauce.

U_AY6O473pCUe-SE_DBHamdE2rN_Yp5M12DrL70JoM_J2fly-uUIT4fCn4ZqRHTdZ0C39kmE6v1bJgUc5mBLiEbRErZ2pgf7kBTmtiAlpFhekx4w4H2rhakyeBh3WOtdUIrWF-d0Ye9WNiq8dFFVteY

I love pasta so Asian Garlic Noodles with Shrimp is right up my alley.  This recipe uses spaghetti but I always keep soba noodles on hand.  They are made with buckwheat and a bit healthier than regular pasta.

uNtQzvctANb09Eufja7krsW6XorOTofx99nBUjjSpwiq34R07pdyLIz8WkU0A6UN7jRjIaiRVNRXoptQO-AfG-UZUbZA_O9XauSmMPDBp9Zdw0R-Vd6sS91MZ4iwPvgpjFWsiFoLcJisKLnDRDdOsds

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Our first time in Singapore was in January 2007 when DGS Ren was born there.  I was able to stay 3 weeks and DH stayed maybe 8 days and went back to the US to work.  Our DS was taking his first sabbatical from his U-M professorship over in Singapore because that is where our DDIL's parents lived.  They were able to spend a lot of quality time with the two of them during that time period.  Right in the middle of their 10 or 11 months there was Ren's due date, so we made plans ahead of time to arrive a week or so later and it worked out fine.  We had a great visit and were able to get some good cuddling in with him even though they lived so far from all of us.  

Second trip was a cruise with friends from Myrtle Beach on Diamond Princess from Bangkok to Anchorage.  We had a really nice time with them.  DDIL's Mom picked us up on our port stop in Singapore and she spent the day showing us (and our friends who hadn't been there before) some great sights, and both DDIL's Mom and Dad were able to be there for a nice lunch at the American Club.  

The last time we were there was in 2013 during DS's second sabbatical.  We found a group of cruises that left from Singapore, and went to Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand.  At the end of the cruise we flew home from Auckland on Christmas Eve.  At the beginning of the cruise we flew over to Singapore and spent about 8 days visiting the kids before they dropped us off at the ship.  I have some nice photos from that trip.  

The first day in 2013 (after a good sleep) we went to the boys' school (just down the street from their apartment) which was having an International Day assembly.  There were students from about 80 countries represented and all the parents would cheer when their children and the other children from that country marched out.  This school was called the Canadian International School.  DS and DDIL checked out several schools before they moved over to make sure they got the type of education they needed.  Here is a photo after all the students marched out and sat down.  We enjoyed our visit to the school that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKYpsedOwQcFDROg8Bkh56G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700619

Some of the American kids.  Ren is in that picture.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5xOHIetGaij9uWliYoiTp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700586

We took the MRT train downtown one day to see the Orchard Road shopping area.  It was quite nice.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJF_OXZbgkkz8n0SDk7ZyMQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700635

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_cOHqZhZjB_G6SDrEeZeI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700646

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7FacUtfRY221DGlI_tuq-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700649

Another day we visited the Nanyang Technological University where DS was a visiting professor during his sabbatical.  It was all very, very nice.  They like things neat in Singapore!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_e8ZFvsJUID_g5rtZGslv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700750

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6yXmpKAbuu_u0HT_8sC95?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700753

One night we went down to the Marina and ate dinner.  Here is the Merlion near the restaurant.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIb5SpeJzefd9Ml9dGIlGjO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700926

We saw the beautiful Marina Bay Sands hotel lit up at night.  Gorgeous!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhtSFkEpabJrsGfg5RvLVN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700941

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ22I5IWCkK2cLtjibS9sUP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700933

Another day we went to the Singapore Botanic Garden.  We spent most of our time in the orchid section and I must have 50 photos of orchids so can't share them all here.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLF9jh1p-zz_Ps27U3SE8yd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700998

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItz6rKTuDdUwjhCO7nwsPH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388700997

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzP1rHXNnRDOefhTuKBlHh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701105

The following day DDIL, DH and I went downtown on the MRT to see the National Art Museum.  The art exhibits on the grounds were really interesting.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuAFwaAbjtk_AvuUcOAej-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701148

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2VZi7Rh8uKzcsMYFLMqlO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701139

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI4fUOqhsojdDQDVRpbla15?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701134

Later that day we went to the far western side of the little island nation to Raffles Marina to celebrate DS's birthday.  His in-laws had a membership there.  The kids really enjoyed the pool before dinner.  You can see the bridge from Singapore to Malaysia from the marina there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhhZShUSq9ow9VxJsh8Cl5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701226

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEojQYpOIi7vQx68yfXcJj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701242

Our last full day before the cruise DS took us up to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel.  Wow, what a view!  Here's the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest seen from way up high.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINDeDdTnA3LOp4ZFgj4zs4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701320

The amazing Gardens by the Bay00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj-PQ2ITmqnWbdY-4Bvxa5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701317

I zooomed in to show the new, at the time, International Cruise Ship terminal.  We would be there the following day boarding Diamond Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_A5SpjzJ51Dq66L-uCtpZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701316

Holding my camera way out00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK2whmLxlkZYRbYT5th4rUP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701310

The Singapore Flyer

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3UN46Y9OYzvxV01sjH5lw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701322

Guests in the infinity pool.  Can you imagine what that view is like?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLUVM-7znx9QdyU0zu6Cgp3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701341

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEuSf9eZP2Qw_1RfI7QH5y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701345

Merlion is down there00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9PUFFCdTiiXeSU4TRvVXE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701334

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhsOgM4_fHp-i-b_R8NXGD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388701337

To me Singapore is the most amazing place to visit in the entire region.   Glad I could spend so much time there.

Amazing photos Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all.  Nice day coming up here in PA.

New therapist for DH started yesterday.  She will be coming 3x per week so that is an increase.  Fingers crossed for improvement for DH.

Started cleaning out bedroom closet yesterday.  How do I continue to keep clothes I no longer wear?  I see a trip to my local charity shop soon for a “deposit”.  

Prayers for all in need.  Stay safe and cool today.  Katherine 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I try to be a culinarian as I cook a lot.  Make 5 course dinners - just for myself!!  The freezer does get filled after those days.  LOVE chili dogs but want them with cheese.  I have worked jobs overseas where I had to "thread the needle".  It could be challenging.  In the literal sense, I can't seem to thread a needle to save my soul!!

Fantastic quote, dinner sounds good, I have always wanted to try an espresso martini (maybe on my next cruise), wine is at a good price and I wish I had been to Singapore.  Got a job there but when they found out my age, it was impossible to get a business visa.  I knew that going in but thought maybe they could swing it.  Oh, well!!

Up early this morning for the first virtual visit for my participating in the cardiac risk factor study.  I guess I still have to get approved for inclusion in the study.  I hope so.  I will just have to wear something like a fitbit and take my BP.  We will see.

Gym this morning and as the gym has finished the expansion, my massage therapist has resumed appointments.  Looking forward to Sunday!!  We are getting storms but my house seems to miss it.  Another scorcher today.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those sailing and celebrating.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny and calm central Texas. It is 77F and feels like 77F with slightly higher humidity.  The high will be about 102F, so after my walk and errands, it will be another day inside.

I'll celebrate culinarians day, but I am also just a cook, who on some days feels more like a short order cook.  It's too hot for chili dogs today, and we had hot dogs not too long ago.  Threading the needle day is an interesting day.  As for threading an actual needle, I use a needle threader, but it is still getting more difficult as time goes one.

The Mark Twain quote is interesting, and if IIRC, there is some controversy about the quote, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

The meal sounds good as does the wine.  We'll skip the drink.

We've been to Singapore twice, and had to bypass it in 2003 because of SARS.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

The invention of the steam locomotive revolutionized travel.

@grapau27 Thank you, Graham, for the explanation of thread the needle.

@Mr. Boston  Welcome home.  I'm glad you had a good weekend getaway.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels for your DS, DDIL and Ren.  I hope they are prepared for some good old Texas summer heat.

347635836_10223641186970332_6064506519573937933_n.thumb.jpg.233572be85f0fc5777fd2110122fe8f7.jpg

349324368_919289379296412_3408077344482286493_n.thumb.jpg.f2bdf10dc59b53211cd409c9c8d71607.jpg

360156145_673300998171663_1321694412137954649_n.jpg.c507546892a14ce80330fb6d7a9d5d2c.jpg

362264665_661592519326578_8132325521896865000_n.jpg.da0c74dbbc064b1b45394b70743ac092.jpg

362289207_816647370030299_4572358734329255663_n.thumb.jpg.1bb9a32d4d1e3f9c169a2cf83425b39b.jpg

362603474_675872034586191_4654850180409139353_n.thumb.jpg.8d2eeb6fc7d9fcade8026cfab76faefa.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

7811ab1e339937c1001f0df60f378273--need-coffee-coffee-time.jpg

Therapy at 10 (regardless of their email) get food, get DH to eye appointment, then get home to work, then grab a Waffle House dinner, and go to the final concert of the Dekalb county Symphony. Tonight is a POPS concert, not classical.  The DSO sent me an email that if we were not going to use the tickets to return them, as the concert is sold out.   While DH has to be up early tomorrow morning for his MRIs I think that going tonight would perhaps keep his mind off tomorrow's meeting with the doctors.

I had to tell my neighbor that I couldn't walk the dog today and tomorrow, so she is coming home early, and had an appointment tomorrow, so she will be home, and that takes some stress off me.

Life is stressful enough, but i feel very guilty when I cannot walk the dog.  It's not the dogs fault that her mom wont work from home. (when she can)

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for the Singapore pictures.  @StLouisCruisers I think that I see part of the F1 race track in your pictures.

• Like 31

We have been to Singapore twice.  The first time was in 2000 on P&O Oriana world cruise.  The second was in 2002 on Volendam on the 64 day APEC  cruise.  These are DH's pictures from 2000 and my pictures from 2002. 

In 2000, we arrived about noon after sailing through the large container port.  I think at that time, it was the largest one in the world.

P3050476.thumb.JPG.e2c8304ad69397ef659c2c4083b8e1b5.JPG

We took a taxi into town, and did a short tour of places the driver thought interesting.  Then we rode their monorail around the island to get a look at the areas away from downtown.

P3060483.thumb.JPG.72c6e34cfa8337d925f34032258c606e.JPG

P3060484.thumb.JPG.c8aaaa29ea7e6d33b42075f9b2c4202e.JPG

P3060493.thumb.JPG.9d485bd601bcceb5fbba3719a142d5a5.JPG

We walked down a pedestrian shopping street.

P3060495.thumb.JPG.ca18a622131b06e1fd0f77ce9a14858b.JPG

Our next stop was Raffles, but we did not go to the Long Bar.  We did have supper n the patio.

P3060496.thumb.JPG.7b8283bae747c7009e9970f07ab2e5d6.JPG

P3060497.thumb.JPG.be7610a3b809903ba3973020c81c8008.JPG

P3060501.thumb.JPG.1226db7c05846181d8d794c55b1f48a8.JPG

From Raffles we walked down the the waterfront and took a boat to see more of the sights.  Singapore at night from the boat ride.

P3060502.thumb.JPG.fbb37e3376622449dd842b264e6f5724.JPG

In 2002, there was a performance by some costumed dancers.  These two posed for us as got off the ship.

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.384c675943e23023f6805589d1e2fd19.JPG

We took the shuttle into town and walked around.  This time we did make it to the Long Bar.

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.4e8f5732f6f29af28db7a7a17f133ec0.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.efa9fe9afebf23da5383ab390cca77a2.JPG

IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.2876b5a8487320475024464dd5765b50.JPG

A busy street downtown

P3060482.JPG

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6