Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

9 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Have a feeling they are going to be driving a lot more passengers to Viking, Oceania, Silver Sea etc.  What they use to include in their price is now extra for Standard Fare and now they are adding all kinds of nickel and dimming costs.   No way to support what they are doing.  Will get more bang and less hassle and cheapness from other cruise lines.  New management will kill the goose that has always laid their golden egg - their most loyal customers.

I believe the lines you mention are much more expensive and include alchol - you can't opt out if you don't drink. Maybe Cunard or celebrity would be better options.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

I saw it! It’s carb loaded which has no meat but also lacks protein and actual food groups. 
If we are told vegetarian isn’t a dietary restriction than the meals should also be balanced. 

I'm not vegetarian, but lean towards being pescatarian. The fish taco, don't eat the tortilla, is pretty delicious.  Most meals on a cruise ship are not healthy - we always ask for no sauce. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

From last week on the Emerald.

20230718_191207.thumb.jpg.5ec06b41fe181cf33e6044e3fa2dbf33.jpg

Thank you sooo much for posting and so quickly too. 
I would have totally expected the lobster Mac to be one of the more expensive items, not among least expensive. 
I might eat there twice considering it’s the only “casual dining” option available on the Crown Princess. Anxiously awaiting their new menus. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phabric said:

If you have Plus before August 12, will you get the new perks on your cruise after August 12?

Based on what I see in my cruise personalizer, yes.  Also seems like the desserts and fitness classes are now included for those who bought PLUS 50

Just now, Yowman said:

Based on what I see in my cruise personalizer, yes.  Also seems like the desserts and fitness classes are now included for those who bought PLUS 50

Based on the FAQ that isn't true. I only have one more PLUS 50 cruise which I will confirm with my CVP when it gets closer

9 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

image.thumb.png.74a33e3f1dfaa24273145c8d63afa853.png

It states that you can keep your original ‘Plus’ package and enjoy your original perks, so does that mean you can go to Alfredo’s as many times as you like for free as that was included in your original purchased package 🤔?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Oops. Forgot vegetarian options were less. I paid & will miss it

Salty Dog items will still be available a la carte.  Don't see anything missing for Standard fare.  I guess you can have a combo price for a full meal - sounds like a QSR situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fpsphil said:

Based on the FAQ that isn't true. I only have one more PLUS 50 cruise which I will confirm with my CVP when it gets closer

There seems to be a discrepancy between the FAQ and what I'm seeing.  Time will tell.  After the PLUS package went from $50 to $60 it was clear in the personalizer that the new items (dessert, exercise classes) were not included in the $50 package.  No such exclusions now show.

My 2c: JP or bean counters thought drinks alone would sell the pkg as 'obviously' ppl on Princess drink like they're on Carnival. Didn't work. So they bumped up price and added:

> 2 cardiac caloric desserts

> 2 fitness mtgs to counter that

> medallion delivery

Didn't work. So they upped 'benefits' again:

> two $15 meals over entire voyage whether that's 2 days or 32 days

> Free OceanNow Delivery Service Activation ($15 value)

> Complimentary Room Service ($5 each)

> “Green Lane” Express Boarding (Free Medallion device delivery included, $10 value) but can't anyone with the medallion board there?

Wonder how they'll combat limited sales next

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Have a feeling they are going to be driving a lot more passengers to Viking, Oceania, Silver Sea etc.  What they use to include in their price is now extra for Standard Fare and now they are adding all kinds of nickel and dimming costs.   No way to support what they are doing.  Will get more bang and less hassle and cheapness from other cruise lines.  New management will kill the goose that has always laid their golden egg - their most loyal customers.

Problem is most loyal does not mean most profitable. In many cases the cruisers with many cruise days (our selves included) are such because of the value in cruising.  Many do not buy packages, many do not spend much on onboard purchases and services, many do not use ship excursions.  They tend to be very good at finding and booking sale prices on cabins.

Having them fill cabins is better than leaving the cabin empty, but often with lower average revenue.

Pretty clear that Princess is now following Celebrity with the push for packages, the move to a class system with the changes in the Sun and the Star (will be interesting to see how they retrofit the class system into the already existing Royal class ships after the Sun and Star launch), and increased onboard charges.  Increases in basic fares will certainly follow.

Princess has been the value priced option of the 3 north America adult focused lines (HAL, Celebrity, and Princess).  Pretty clear that they are adopting many of the same policies as their primary competition (Celebrity).  

Just listened to an interview with the head of RCL.  He indicated that they feel that the current price gap between cruising and a comparable land vacation is about 35% (down from 45% last year due to price increases) but still considerably higher than the 15% gap that existed prior to the shutdown.  So expect additional increases on all lines.

Add to that the problem with summertime flights to Europe, the issues with land vacations there, and you have additional demand for cruise vacations.

16 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

image.thumb.png.74a33e3f1dfaa24273145c8d63afa853.png

Interesting for standard that if you don't do the $14.99 activation of the ocean now on the app, You cannot access housekeeping for such as like a bathrobe, laundry pickup, nor were room service or housekeeping to come pick up your dirty dishes from room service. That sounds silly.

• Like 2

Just now, Ombud said:

My 2c: JP or bean counters thought drinks alone would sell the pkg as 'obviously' ppl on Princess drink like they're on Carnival. Didn't work. So they bumped up price and added:

> medallion delivery

> “Green Lane” Express Boarding (Free Medallion device delivery included, $10 value) but can't anyone with the medallion board there?

I take express boarding to mean not only green lane, but the same express boarding that is now an Elite, Platinum, Suite  benefit.   Just not clear where they will rank in the exact sequence if they arrive early.

19 minutes ago, Catchum said:

I believe the lines you mention are much more expensive and include alchol - you can't opt out if you don't drink. Maybe Cunard or celebrity would be better options.

Not Oceania, unless you buy a package.

4 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Interesting for standard that if you don't do the $14.99 activation of the ocean now on the app, You cannot access housekeeping for such as like a bathrobe, laundry pickup, nor were room service or housekeeping to come pick up your dirty dishes from room service. That sounds silly.

You can still do it, just not with the App.

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

> medallion delivery

👏👏👏👏👏 So very well said!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I would think so for now. They are following what other lines are doing such as Celebrity with breakfast RS free, but a 12.95 fee at other times.

Yep, pretty much following the competition.  But still lower prices than Celebrity.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This is going to be part of the announcements today by Carmen Roig in her webinar for TA's.  This has been documented in a couple of threads (the upcoming announcement - sans details).  

So, looks like expanded free food and another way to extract $$ for the rest of us.  No doubt these food changes will lead to a reason to increase Plus & Premier cost as well.

I will say this, however.  Reading this release one might presume it is subtly suggesting that guests will no longer be able to attend Alfredo's/Gigi's and enjoy a free pizza.  If that is the case, I predict a mini-revolt among loyal PCL customers.

ETA:  I choose to interpret the Padgett remarks as that casual locations that have a la carte items for a fee will continue to have them and others - like pizza - will continue to be available (lol - at least for now), but if one wants an expanded meal, it will cost.  IDK - we may have to see if this is clarified because right now at Alfredo's one can effectively get an appetizer, a main, and a dessert all for free.  What will they do to justify $15 value?

Does this mean we will have to pay an additional fee for Premier to avail ourselves of these meals on our November cruise?

8 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Sounds like they will prob put the paywall to even get to the ordering page