Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

Like so many things, cruising on mainstream lines will never be what it used to be.  Such a shame, but that is what they call "progress" these days. Customers are still flocking to the cruise lines, so that kind of validates the cruise line's assumption that people will accept the trend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Is this a bad time to ask when will they start to update and add on more benefits for the loyalty ranks?!?! I mean if we're going to talk about where we're slacking ...

How about Premier for the price of Plus as a benefit?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

It was only a matter time, which is now, for the very popular Alfredo's/Gigi's to become a pay per venue, or as now included in the package(s).

but PLUS only gets 2 'free' per voyage?

Yup. If you want unlimited you'll need to upgrade to the premier 

• Thanks 1

IMO, its a blatant push to make everyone get Plus or Premium.  Then they'll ratchet that cost so far up that it will be difficult to afford and add another level called Scrumpdillious which will be out of everyone's reach. 

We are just a couple, but you add kids to that mix and its become an outrageous cost  What a sad end to what was an amazing vacation experience.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I find the room service charge to be the most concerning. We usually do not use room service, bit it was a nice fallback if one of us was not feeling well for a couple of days. Now feeling ill either pay of go out and infect others in the dining venues. You will probably have to be quarantined by medical to get it waived.

That’s what I was thinking too.  If you’re quarantined, they don’t charge for RS.  Or, is that changing too?

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s what I was thinking too.  If you’re quarantined, they don’t charge for RS.  Or, is that changing too?

Obviously no one here has a definitive answer to this but my suspicion is that PCL will waive RS charges if quarantined in the same way that they have made ordering from the MDR available to quarantined passengers.  Time will tell

• Like 1

As a vegetarian, I’m super annoyed at these changes! Many times I’m failed by the MDR but have backups at Gigis or Room Service. 
Princess Veg options are sad when compared to HAL and I need to hunt and peck for food. 
On the CB princess now and the MDR options are minimal. 
I may start working on my HAL status. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:
6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

It was only a matter time, which is now, for the very popular Alfredo's/Gigi's to become a pay per venue, or as now included in the package(s).

Expand  

Yup. If you want unlimited you'll need to upgrade to the premier 

Even doing the 'new' math (7.50 wifi + 15 Gigis + 5 room service + 2×2 mediocre tea = 31.50pd + 15 entire cruise) it still isn't worth it for me. Plus (pun intended) I don't go to Gigis every day

• Like 2

The new execs are really taking Princess away from its roots and making it just like the nickel and dimer lines. 😏 They tried charging $10 pp for Alfredo’s when it first debuted, and it failed, so they made it free. Charging for the new “prime” burger (that sucks btw) at Salty Dog when you used to be able to get a delicious basic cheeseburger for free is a total fail. Sure, the people who buy packages will be happy, but those who can’t drink alcohol or don’t drink enough to warrant the package are the ones who will be negatively affected. 

• Like 10

Just now, Jadn13 said:

As a vegetarian, I’m super annoyed at these changes! Many times I’m failed by the MDR but have backups at Gigis or Room Service. 
Princess Veg options are sad when compared to HAL and I need to hunt and peck for food. 

Did you ask for the vegan menu?? I do & then add cheese

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

No mention is made regarding those on standard fare in a full suite where ordering from MDR as room service is complementary.  It will be interesting to see if this is eliminated.  

Wouldn't be surprised if it is eliminated. 

Just now, Ombud said:

Even doing the 'new' math (7.50 wifi + 15 Gigis + 5 room service + 2×2 mediocre tea = 31.50pd + 15 entire cruise) it still isn't worth it for me. Plus (pun intended) I don't go to Gigis every day

If Alfredo's and Gigi's is no more complementary, the only positive is, I may not pack on the pounds, with eating those large pizzas and calzones. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Cruises used to be very expensive, and only the upper classes used to go, or ones who had a lot of money.

Currently, they are the best value, and dirt cheap compared to land vacations.  It becomes a bragging right - especially on CC - of how little money is spent when using the standard fare.

There was outrage on coffee cards going away, and not being able to trade Elite mini bar for the coffee card.  

Sounds like the pendulum is swinging up again to be expensive.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ombud said:

Did you ask for the vegan menu?? I do & then add cheese

No, but thinking about it. I did the last time I was here April/May and was told there wasn’t one. I worked with the Manager on that cruise for specialty foods but since this is a short cruise just 13 days I figured I could just make do. 

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Please don't slam me if I go up to the buffet to get a 1/2 dz assorted cookies or extras at IC to keep in my room as all I order from RS is Key Lime Pot & cookies. 

We’ll be right behind you!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well we are booked on our first Standard fare Princess cruise for 10 years. I am still happy not to be paying the extra $2600 charge for both of us taking premier. I will decide how I spend the money saved and it won’t be on unlimited pizza, pudding and alcohol. But it will cover my hotel bills for the 10 day road trip when we dock!  

Edited by Bedruthen
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

There's a vegetarian option on every MDR menu.

Today's MDR lunch menu has THREE vegetarian options on the Caribbean Princess: Spaghetti, French Toast or Griddled Potato Latkes. 

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Agree that I'd like to see more than 2 per voyage - perhaps two per every 7 or 10 days for longer voyages.

Regardless, I was planning on trying O'Malleys and paying the extra cost anyway.  Now I get to try it for free so I'm happy.  For others, YMMV

• Like 1