Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

18 minutes ago, Catchum said:

I believe the lines you mention are much more expensive and include alchol - you can't opt out if you don't drink. Maybe Cunard or celebrity would be better options.

Some include wine with dinner, coffees etc only, not 15 alcoholic drinks a day. I have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, and DH doesn’t drink at all so that would suit us. 
We like a quieter, more sedate cruise experience anyway and not feeling Princess is really that anymore if they ever were. On our last cruise, I was unable to find a single quiet public room to read my book. Loud music playing in all areas at all times, even in completely empty areas. 

is there an easy to print out (.pdf) comparison of the updated packages as of today?

with Premier, I  don't see us seeing the inside of the mdr on our little 5 day on the Sun - or even gettin off the ship in Grand Turk or Amber Cove - the ship, SUN is absolutely our destination on this cruise - even tho we have never been to Amber Cove - may get off and walk a couple of hours, but that would be it for us

Plus/Premier booked after Dec 14 have all the new things included.  Before that one needed to upgrade.  This means you need to be paying $60/pp or $80/pp in order to get the new benefits.

Edited by Steelers36

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Frr Casual Dining, the new upcharge of $15 per full meal or pizza and other items will be a la carte.  This is the one venue that used to be free and is now a revenue venue.

I don't have a problem having appetizers in PES then salad, pizza, and apple torte for $15 once or twice. Even better if I can just get the pizza. I do have a problem with nickle & diming. If I go thru an entire bottle of wine per week then I'm drinking more than usual. (Or an entire bottle at the table at home with 3 other adults.) So Plus / Premier is still not cost effective for me 

• Like 6

Just now, Thrak said:

Watching the webinar now. Clearly stated that there will no longer be any free food at Alfredo's/Gigi's. Everything will have a fee.

And have they confirmed that there will now be a room service fee?

I'm going to preface my statement by saying, I understand the view of Princess loyalists and not wanting to be nickel and dimed.  People never like it when you have to suddenly have to pay for stuff that you didn't have to before.

Princess is aligning themselves with the other mass market cruise lines.  RC, Celebrity, Carnival have been charging for room service and ALL of their specialty dining for a while now.  It was nice while it lasted.  If the direct mass market competition can get away with it why can't Princess?

The question now becomes, where will Princess loyalists' loyalty go?  Will they take your business to more premium cruise lines, spend more for the fare and potentially cruise less?  Or will they continue to patronize Princess?

Still think that the current Princess Standard prices are a great value considering the length of their cruises, especially the Drop and Go fares.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Yes.  $5 per event.  Flat fee.

However, a PER VOYAGE flat fee if you want to use OCEAN NOW and have service to your location.  Been free since launch of Medallion.

I predict this hurts the crew because guests are no longer going to tip after paying out $15 (In general - not ALL, but enough).

• Like 6

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Yes.  $5 per event.  Flat fee.

I know that this is less than other lines but as an Elite Member I am starting to tire of all the added fees that Princess has started and the removal of Elite benefits.  

• Like 20

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hope so.  Kinda tired waiting over an hour with a pager to be seated at Gigis.

I'm not sure what ship you were sailing on but a couple of months ago on the Majestic..it was ALWAYS empty and we could just walk right in! I was wondering if they were even going to keep it open because of this!

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

However, a PER VOYAGE flat fee if you want to use OCEAN NOW and have service to your location.  Been free since launch of Medallion.

I predict this hurts the crew because guests are no longer going to tip after paying out $15 (In general - not ALL, but enough).

I agree 100%.  We usually order room service a couple of times on a 14 day cruise and tip the delivery person pretty well.  I'm not now going to pay the $15 bucks or the $5 bucks and tip as well.  

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Plus/Premier booked after Dec 14 have all the new things included.  Before that one needed to upgrade.  I think this means you need to be paying $60/pp or $80/pp in order to get the new benefits.

I have yet to see a benefit as a Plus package person cruising on Sky Princess. 

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We don’t usually bother ordering on the app for delivery, but is your take on this that after paying the $15 access fee to Oceannow there wouldn’t be any further charges to have delivery to the room as your “location”?

3 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

So basically, if some of us are interpreting this correctly, Plus and Premier passengers continue to get exactly what they're getting at the moment (but probably with a related price-hike at some point) and standard passengers are losing several of the "perks" that Princess have been very vocal about publicising (no RS charges / ship-wide delivery / wider inclusive food choices). Can't wait till the debate about whether the changes apply to "old plus/premier" or just "new plus/premier" gets started. 

We're sailing in September and were planning on buying a couple of FCDs, but now I'm not so sure. 

Well...since Plus get "2" meals at venues where right now they can have unlimited; is this really them getting what they had gotten all along? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, whitecap said:

And have they confirmed that there will now be a room service fee?

Yes. Free for Plus or Premier. Otherwise $5 per delivery This is not included in the $14.95 "once per cruise" fee if you have Standard and want the "bring me my drink or order wherever I am". That is completely separate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We don’t usually bother ordering on the app for delivery, but is your take on this that after paying the $15 access fee to Oceannow there wouldn’t be any further charges to have delivery to the room as your “location”?

See my post above this one. Room Service is completely separate from the $14.95 fee for the other delivery service. They specifically addressed that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts.  My last cruise I had the premium package and there were no reservations available for my included 2nd specialty dining.  I doubt that will happen with the smaller venues but one never knows.  I'm cruising with my parents over the holidays.  They won't do a package but we do.   So, if I'm in their cabin and order room service for happy hour appetizers, will it be free if I order it or charge them because it's going to their room.  hmmm.  

1 minute ago, suekel said:

My thoughts.  My last cruise I had the premium package and there were no reservations available for my included 2nd specialty dining.  I doubt that will happen with the smaller venues but one never knows.  I'm cruising with my parents over the holidays.  They won't do a package but we do.   So, if I'm in their cabin and order room service for happy hour appetizers, will it be free if I order it or charge them because it's going to their room.  hmmm.  

I would guess it is linked to the cabin number. I'd get the stuff delivered to my cabin and then cart it to the other cabin. This wasn't addressed but it's my take on things.

8 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We don’t usually bother ordering on the app for delivery, but is your take on this that after paying the $15 access fee to Ocean Now there wouldn’t be any further charges to have delivery to the room as your “location”?

IDK if that tactic will "beat the system".  I suspect they will distinguish these since it is a trip to a cabin, but generally not so far from a nearby bar to a place in public areas.

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yes. Free for Plus or Premier. Otherwise $5 per delivery This is not included in the $14.95 "once per cruise" fee if you have Standard and want the "bring me my drink or order wherever I am". That is completely separate.

So who can participant in the one time $14.95?

5 minutes ago, suekel said:

If you're ordering a drink through the app and you have a package it doesn't matter where it gets delivered to as they're going to track you anyways which like you said will be in your parents cabin so you should have no problem.