Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

Just now, sunviking90 said:

That would be nice, but much too complex as people often book cruises very far out. More that 2 weeks notice would have been nice though. 

I feel for the crew that have to deal with implementing these changes in such a short time frame.  These changes will not be a popular decision and they'll bear some of the vitriol I'm afraid. 

Regarding Vines, I think that news release is just another example of someone not knowing what they're talking about.  Vines hasn't offered any menu ever and the sushi they used to give out for free has also been eliminated (you're lucky to get some nuts/snack mix).  I think the PR person just went through the list of casual dining options 🙄

We have Premier on upcoming (8/12!) cruise so I guess we're set.  I think it's chintzy to charge for using App to order food for Standard fare psgrs.  I never use it but that's just personal preference (I'm impatient! LOL!)

53 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

They are taking from Peter to give to Paul with a much better spin on it.

Thanks.  Since I want to be Paul, I just paid Princess an additional $ 1,440 for my 12-day upcoming cruise to purchase Princess Plus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Sounds to me that the plus and premier fares will increase. Also sounds like Alfredo's will have a charge for standard fare passengers. Did Vines ever have meals? I thought they had comp. sushi with wine. Guess sushi will no longer be comped.

Another thing that is happening are larger passenger loads on new builds. It is a way to spread around the dining. New builds will probably have more dining locations. Sort of a reason for Dine My Way.

Used to be complimentary tapas at Vines. Haven’t seen or asked for them since the restart.  Maybe they will offer them again?

I find the room service charge to be the most concerning. We usually do not use room service, bit it was a nice fallback if one of us was not feeling well for a couple of days. Now feeling ill either pay of go out and infect others in the dining venues. You will probably have to be quarantined by medical to get it waived.

This is just awful. You would think they would at least offer something more to make up for how much they are taking away. Princess Plus often means doubling the cost of the initial cruise fare. I think this might lead to less tips for room service too, as people who pay $5 for delivery may be less inclined to give an additional tip. 

People with the standard package might drink less instead if they don’t pay the $15 and have to wait in line at the bar for a drink, though I think most people who drink would just pay the $15. 

I do realize that a lot of delivered food gets wasted and can be resource heavy, but it’s not like they are passing any savings onto the cruiser. 

Just now, CanadianCruiser21 said:

This is just awful. You would think they would at least offer something more to make up for how much they are taking away. Princess Plus often means doubling the cost of the initial cruise fare. I think this might lead to less tips for room service too, as people who pay $5 for delivery may be less inclined to give an additional tip. 

People with the standard package might drink less instead if they don’t pay the $15 and have to wait in line at the bar for a drink, though I think most people who drink would just pay the $15. 

I do realize that a lot of delivered food gets wasted and can be resource heavy, but it’s not like they are passing any savings onto the cruiser. 

I do wonder if the traditional breakfast room service will continue ( where you fill out the little door hanger to put outside your cabin) to be free versus just doing roof service throughout the day using ocean now?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Martha1974 said:

So basically, if some of us are interpreting this correctly, Plus and Premier passengers continue to get exactly what they're getting at the moment (but probably with a related price-hike at some point) and standard passengers are losing several of the "perks" that Princess have been very vocal about publicising (no RS charges / ship-wide delivery / wider inclusive food choices). Can't wait till the debate about whether the changes apply to "old plus/premier" or just "new plus/premier" gets started. 

We're sailing in September and were planning on buying a couple of FCDs, but now I'm not so sure. 

Just to point out a positive … 

For the Plus and Premier package passengers, their added value is that they can eat at the GastroPub or O’Malleys, etc for no charge.  
Since there is currently no increase in price for the packages (and I’m not saying there won’t be), this is actually a good thing for those with packages unless you enjoy getting pizza every day.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Whereas guest on the standard fare will not have that option of a prefixed menu for a 3 course meal, but instead we will Have our normal standard menu. Which brings me to the hopeful thought that Alfredos / Gigi will still remain free

I doubt it.  Expect to see Alfredo’s become prefixed menu only, no freebie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I do wonder if the traditional breakfast room service will continue ( where you fill out the little door hanger to put outside your cabin) to be free versus just doing roof service throughout the day using ocean now?

The door hanger for “traditional breakfast” is still free. It’s in the second paragraph of Indulge in More Fine Dining. But I bet you won’t be able to write in extras like we used to. I would write in cheese omelet with a side of sausage and always get it. I’ve even written that I’d like a bowl of fresh berries and gotten it. In regular cabins not full suites. 

• Like 3

We are stuck in the middle as we booked our Cruise 2 years ago with the old Plus package. So ,do they  decipher between original and enhanced version of the plus ? I am ok with NOT getting the ridiculous sundae and exercise class but sure did enjoy  Alfredos pizza ( especially go on embarkation )

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

And Alfredo’s is just pizza, whereas Gigi’s has more courses.  Wonder is Alfredo’s will add more choices to menu.

Or, how about Alfredo’s by Gigi?

Sad 😞.  Again, it’s all about the money.

Of course it’s all about profits .. it is a business, after all.  
As for Alfredo’s, the only ship that I know that only serves pizza and calzones is on the Grand.  The Alfredo’s on the Royal has just as many options as GiGis does on the Discovery.  

This is a slippery slope for things to come. 

we’ve just booked our first cruise since COVID for next May. We booked standard fare.  Don't drink alcohol or coffee. Have never ordered room service in our 12 cruises.

About the only thing I don’t like is if they want to charge for regular meal in Alfredo’s, but I can do without.

I’m ok in steerage.  Heading towards the haves and have nots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow lots of charges for folks who don't buy the packages.  And the language for Alfredo's / Gigi's is murky.  Is the Prix Fixe a new option on the menu and everything else is still free?  Very confusing.  Carmen Roig is having a webinar to explain it at 11 PT.  I won't be able to watch it live but will definitely try to catch up later to see if she clarifies any of the ambiguity.

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

We are currently at PLUS 50 for an October cruise - where do we stand in regards to these new changes to PLUS ... I 'know' we don't get the fitness classes and heart attack desserts

So before today's announcement my cruise personalizer showed that desserts and fitness classes were NOT included in my $50 plus package.  No such indication today (and these items are no longer marked as "new").  The items announced today are marked as "new" but there is now no indication that any of the new perks (since the price increase from $50 to $60) are not included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just to point out a positive … 

For the Plus and Premier package passengers, their added value is that they can eat at the GastroPub or O’Malleys, etc for no charge.  
Since there is currently no increase in price for the packages (and I’m not saying there won’t be), this is actually a good thing for those with packages unless you enjoy getting pizza every day.  

Fair point - we’re UK based and sail out of the UK so have only sailed on Sky Princess up to now, I had forgotten about O’Malleys and the GastroPub on other ships. 

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

What does this mean for those of us looking at standard fares?  

For voyages embarking August 12 and beyond, guests on Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages will enjoy savory prix fixe dining options in the ship's casual restaurants, including Vines, Salty Dog Pub, O'Malleys, Ocean Terrace, Planks, Steamers, Alfredo's, and GiGi's. The addition of new three-course, pre-fixed menus gives Plus and Premier guests more food options than ever before without any extra charges. For those who prefer sailing on Princess Standard, the casual prix fixe dining will be $14.99 and individual selections will continue with a la carte pricing.

"Great food is fundamental to the Princess Cruises experience," said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "By incorporating our casual dining experiences into the Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages, guests can now indulge in more memorable meals tailored to their dining style preferences without hesitation, all while enjoying unparalleled value."

All guests can continue to enjoy top-quality culinary options at no additional charge. Complimentary dining options for all guests include exquisite multi-course meals in all main dining rooms, buffet-style delights at World Fresh Market and Horizons Court, scrumptious treats at the International Café, poolside offerings at Slice, Coffee & Cones, and more, as well as traditional stateroom breakfast available using the classic door hanger menus.

See what you started?  😉

Thank you for starting this thread.  😩

• Haha 1

Just now, CruzeQueen2 said:

I've never seen any $5 charge for room service delivery before.  So this is new. A new charge for those who don't purchase the Plus or Premiere packages? Asking for a friend...

Only for standard guests, $5 fee per order.  

2 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

I've never seen any $5 charge for room service delivery before.  So this is new. A new charge for those who don't purchase the Plus or Premiere packages? Asking for a friend...

Correct. New few for Standard starting Aug 12th

43 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

We booked our New England cruise 1 1/2 years ago with Plus. Do we have access to these new Plus “perks” or are we ‘so outta luck?’

We booked the Plus 2 yrs ago and wondering the same thing ...

• Like 1