Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

I will correct my earlier statement saying that there is no additional or new benefit for Plus or Premier. 
Some of the casual dining restaurants that were previously not free are now part of the 2 free meals for Plus, and unlimited for Premier. 

I am anxiously awaiting the new menus with prices for these casual eateries.
We can presume that it would be $15 for an app, entree, and dessert. However, prix fixe does not always mean that you can pick any entree on the menu. It could be a subset of options, usually the cheaper ones. Since there would be an a la carte menu, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had an upcharge for certain entrees that aren’t part of the prix fixe.

For example, Salty Dog GastroPub (not grill) already had a prix fixe of $18. I doubt that this will go down to $15 with all the same options. I anticipate that the lobster Mac and Cheese would be a $3 upcharge. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I will correct my earlier statement saying that there is no additional or new benefit for Plus or Premier. 
Some of the casual dining restaurants that were previously not free are now part of the 2 free meals for Plus, and unlimited for Premier. 

We can presume that it would be $15 for an app, entree, and dessert. However, prix fixe does not always mean that you can pick any entree on the menu. It could be a subset of options, usually the cheaper ones. Since there would be an a la carte menu, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had an upcharge for certain entrees that aren’t part of the prix fixe.

For example, Salty Dog GastroPub (not grill) already had a prix fixe of $18. I doubt that this will go down to $15 with all the same options. I anticipate that the lobster Mac and Cheese would be a $3 upcharge. 

That’s a good point. The prix fixe would need to give plenty of entree options to be worth it. For instance, what happens if the sushi roll you like isn’t included? Then it’s not a value, even with the Plus Package.

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

5 minutes ago, Yowman said:

Agree that I'd like to see more than 2 per voyage - perhaps two per every 7 or 10 days for longer voyages.

Regardless, I was planning on trying O'Malleys and paying the extra cost anyway.  Now I get to try it for free so I'm happy.  For others, YMMV

I’ve always felt that way about Princess Premier and the 2 speciality dinners as well. I got the premier package, but only because it was a 3 day cruise, so I was getting $78 value for an additional $60. 

1 minute ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I’ve always felt that way about Princess Premier and the 2 speciality dinners as well. I got the premier package, but only because it was a 3 day cruise, so I was getting $78 value for an additional $60. 

Yes, short cruises are not as costly.  But,

we do longer cruises 30+ days, so it is a huge difference. 
Seems as they are also pushing shorter cruises recently.  Blocking off rooms for choices on the long portion, as opposed to the shorter portions, where there was a lot of availability.  It used to be that b2b’s would add up to about the same price as the full cruise.  Not so much now with the new cruises coming out 24/25.

3 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I just sent an email to our CVP to 'upgrade' us on our 5 day cruise on the SUN Princess in Oct 2024, from PLUS to Premier - cost $100 per person - easily 'eaten' up... really a no-brainer for this cruise under the now current terms

Go Big or Stay home.

12 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

The Emerald was already experimenting with per dish at Salty Dog

• Host CJSKIDS changed the title to Can anyone explain the new Casual Dining Charges ?/ merged with Princess Adds Casual Dining
12 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Everything was a la carte on my last voyage. Prices ranged from $3 - $5. 3 courses (appetizer, main, dessert) were as low as $8 or as high as $13 depending on appetizer 

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Everything was a la carte on my last voyage. Prices ranged from $3 - $5. 3 courses (appetizer, main, dessert) were as low as $8 or as high as $13 depending on appetizer 

Ooh that’s interesting. I am trying to find the a la carte menu online, but the site only shows the $18 option. 

32 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

No, but thinking about it. I did the last time I was here April/May and was told there wasn’t one. I worked with the Manager on that cruise for specialty foods but since this is a short cruise just 13 days I figured I could just make do. 

Tracking ships with it here ... becoming more frequent 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, the merged threads (3 of them) ought to have retained the title @LACruiser88 used because it was MUCH more comprehensive and descriptive of the situation:

7/27/23:Princess Adds Casual Dining, Exclusive Service Delivery and More to Plus and Premier Packages with No Price Increases

What do you say, @Host CJSKIDS?

Already merged and goes to the earliest thread on the topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's a vegetarian option on every MDR menu.

Today's MDR lunch menu has THREE vegetarian options on the Caribbean Princess: Spaghetti, French Toast or Griddled Potato Latkes. 

I saw it! It’s carb loaded which has no meat but also lacks protein and actual food groups. 
If we are told vegetarian isn’t a dietary restriction than the meals should also be balanced. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I just sent an email to our CVP to 'upgrade' us on our 5 day cruise on the SUN Princess in Oct 2024, from PLUS to Premier - cost $100 per person - easily 'eaten' up... really a no-brainer for this cruise under the now current terms

Go Big or Stay home.

So you originally bought PLUS 50 and PCL is letting you upgrade to PREMIUM 80 for $20 per day?

5 minutes ago, Yowman said:

So you originally bought PLUS 50 and PCL is letting you upgrade to PREMIUM 80 for $20 per day?

no, sorry - had PLUS 60 on the SUN in 2024 - that what I'm upgrading

and just got an email from the CVP that this has been done!

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

From the above press release, can we presume any of the following?

1.  Plus/Premier will now either vault over, or have similar check-in priority as Elite guests?  Perhaps they weren't thinking of the time period prior to boarding commencing because at HQ, no one thinks a guest arrives at the terminals before 11:30am?

2.  Standard Fare guests will no longer receive free pizza at Alfredo's/Gigi's?

3. Standard Fare guests will no longer receive free drink and snack service to their location on the ships.  Remember how this was touted as a fantastic thing with the Medallions?  Now it will cost $15 to have this service for the voyage.  And B2B'ers will have to pay it twice.  After all, we do get extra benefits like another mini-bar on B2B, so have to pay as well.  I suspect many/most guests will consider this fee a gratuity and perhaps adjust tipping amount on delivery??

4. Standard Fare guests continue to subsidize the packages by paying for room service.  We don't use RS, so NBD.

5. I suspect all of this will one day in future lead to an increase in the Plus/Premier and they will still market it as the most fantastic value since the Model T.

3 and 4 I read as standard fare guests pay $14.99 to activate the drinks and dining side of the medallion and food and drinks ordered using room service or app will incur a $5 fee each time.

Edited by Flo71
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

no, sorry - had PLUS 60 on the SUN in 2024 - that what I'm upgrading

That makes sense now.

I was looking at upgrading my PLUS 50 to Premium but at $30/day pp for 14 days it's $840.  That's a lot of eating at O'Malleys and the like 🙂

• Haha 1

Well this is just great.  Our cruise is Saturday, so this does not affect us this time, but any future cruises may be on hold - I don't want to be nickled and dimed - we do not drink alcohol, and that was why we never booked the plus.

if I have to start paying to eat - guess I will find another cruise line, or not cruise at all.

this cruise on Saturday is our 15th - making us Elite when done.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dns65 said:

Princess wants to get rid of the non-revenue generating customers.  Buy Princess Plus or Premier or otherwise be prepared to be nickle and dimed on your cruise. 

Have a feeling they are going to be driving a lot more passengers to Viking, Oceania, Silver Sea etc.  What they use to include in their price is now extra for Standard Fare and now they are adding all kinds of nickel and dimming costs.   No way to support what they are doing.  Will get more bang and less hassle and cheapness from other cruise lines.  New management will kill the goose that has always laid their golden egg - their most loyal customers.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I do wonder if the traditional breakfast room service will continue ( where you fill out the little door hanger to put outside your cabin) to be free versus just doing roof service throughout the day using ocean now?

I would think so for now. They are following what other lines are doing such as Celebrity with breakfast RS free, but a 12.95 fee at other times.