Likely Punishment?

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Never said I would try (or wanted to) limit charges.  

Never said anything about GF buying DLX package.

Does any actually READ posts, or just guess at what's posted?

Let's make it simple...  GF purchases an alcoholic drink.  GF shares (or gives) the alcoholic drink to DS (who is technically underage).  What is Royal LIKELY to do IF they get "caught" (which I think is unlikely unless he overindulges)?

Question has nothing to do with a deluxe pkg, has nothing to do with ports.  Has nothing to do with limiting purchases.

My apologies, misread it 

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Yes, I read what you posted.  I was thinking that if it was your cc on her sea pass, you could take away her ability to purchase items and then she couldn't purchase drinks.  

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My apologies, misread it 

You're not the only one. I actually misread it at first  until I read some of the replies & went back to reread post #1.

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Never said anything about GF buying DLX package.

Does any actually READ posts, or just guess at what's posted?

I think because you lead with DS & his GF having the refreshment package - which has nothing to do with your question - and mentioned alcohol being bought, many assumed that the DLX was being purchased. I did.  It's a very common question/scenario that is posted here on CC which I'm sure you are aware of.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You're not the only one. I actually misread it at first  until I read some of the replies & went back to reread post #1.

I think because you lead with DS & his GF having the refreshment package - which has nothing to do with your question - and mentioned alcohol being bought, many assumed that the DLX was being purchased. I did.  It's a very common question/scenario that is posted here on CC which I'm sure you are aware of.

Yes, see questions all the time about sharing deluxe packages.  I mentioned the refreshment package because I figured if I didn't mention what package (if any) they had, someone would either ask or assume.

Looks like it didn't matter 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This ought to be good...

We're going on a cruise next year and taking DS(will be 20yo, 9 months) and his GF (will be 21).  We will be providing a refreshment package for each of them.  

HOWEVER, it won't surprise me if GF buys an alcoholic drink and shares it with DS.  I am going to discourage it.  If they do so, I doubt they'll get caught.  However, if they do get caught, what's a realistic punishment?  Slap on the wrist, "don't do that again"?  Kicked off at next port?

This actually just happened with us on Carnival last Labor day.  Daughter was 20, all others in room were 21, 22, 27.  She had bottomless bubbles, the other 3 had cheers package.  I warned her and her bf and brothers not to get her drinks until Bermuda where she was allowed to drink.  Of course they didn't listen.  And yes, she was caught as was the 27 year old.  They (bartender?) took the drink and warned both of them.  So luckily she just stuck to soda moving forward.  The kids never told me until well after the cruise.  I know it is Carnival not Royal but I know neither of them argued with the staff and both apologized which may have made a difference.  I know they were nervous afterwards.

People looking for ways to scam the system and people actually telling them how. This is the types of passengers the cruise lines are attracting?? Who owns the liability if something happens to the underage drinker if he has alcohol in his system? Besides the drinker, what about the person who supplied the drinks? What about the bar staff? What about the cruise line? The jails and prisons are full of people who thought they would never get caught.

Everybody’s age and birthdate are in the system, I would guess it would reject the request when the person entered the drink package in the computer if that’s the route they take.

What’s the worse that could happen if you get caught? You could be kicked off the ship, like someone mentioned, you could be charged full price for every drink, or you could be banned from the cruise line for falsely reporting information for your gain.

If they feel sorry for you they could just cancel what’s left with no refund.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This ought to be good...

We're going on a cruise next year and taking DS(will be 20yo, 9 months) and his GF (will be 21).  We will be providing a refreshment package for each of them.  

HOWEVER, it won't surprise me if GF buys an alcoholic drink and shares it with DS.  I am going to discourage it.  If they do so, I doubt they'll get caught.  However, if they do get caught, what's a realistic punishment?  Slap on the wrist, "don't do that again"?  Kicked off at next port?

They will not give a flying.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

People looking for ways to scam the system and people actually telling them how. This is the types of passengers the cruise lines are attracting?? Who owns the liability if something happens to the underage drinker if he has alcohol in his system? Besides the drinker, what about the person who supplied the drinks? What about the bar staff? What about the cruise line? The jails and prisons are full of people who thought they would never get caught.

Everybody’s age and birthdate are in the system, I would guess it would reject the request when the person entered the drink package in the computer if that’s the route they take.

What’s the worse that could happen if you get caught? You could be kicked off the ship, like someone mentioned, you could be charged full price for every drink, or you could be banned from the cruise line for falsely reporting information for your gain.

I guess you didn’t read, she will not have the alcohol package, she will be paying OOP for drinks. On NCL I signed and gave permission for my 19 and 20 year olds to order beer and wine, but told them they were responsible for the costs. They did most of their drinking off of the ship. It wasn’t a big deal, obviously they can drink at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

He’s so close to 21 and frankly, I don’t think the servers would ask him for ID if they even noticed he’s having a drink, especially if she gives them a tip

The "problem" with your scenario is that he is violating TWO rules.  Underage drinking and sharing a drink package.  

Call me "the morality police" if you want, @Biker19, since you seem to think that it's a bad think to have morals, but I think that he should just wait two months until he can legally drink AND should not be sharing the drink package.

My opinion has nothing to do with @S.A.M.J.R.'s original question.  My answer to that is "nothing".  They are extremely unlikely to get caught.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The "problem" with your scenario is that he is violating TWO rules.  Underage drinking and sharing a drink package.  

Call me "the morality police" if you want, @Biker19, since you seem to think that it's a bad think to have morals, but I think that he should just wait two months until he can legally drink AND should not be sharing the drink package.

My opinion has nothing to do with @S.A.M.J.R.'s original question.  My answer to that is "nothing".  They are extremely unlikely to get caught.  

There is no drink package involved but the non alcoholic one which they both have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is no drink package involved but the non alcoholic one which they both have.

I see that now.  I was among the many who misunderstood the original post, and then we all reinforced each other's misperceptions!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This ought to be good...

I'm going to pretend that this is my first response on this thread.  😄😄😄

Without some huge obvious public TALK or ACTION, they will never get caught.  Just tell them not to get drunk and draw attention to themselves.  😄 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

So posters like @Ret MP can debate them here.

And I'm happy to perform that public service, it's what I do.  

Ignorance of the rules and laws is no excuse.  I'd hate for someone to show up at a terminal and be turned away because they heard from someone on the Internet that they can get away with something when the experiences of others aren't necessarily what they may experience.  You'll note that I always provide a link to the policy/FAQ.  So, there is no debate if the policy/FAQ exists or not.  Can you or anybody deny that there is a rule that only one bottle of wine per person ...... exists?  Can you or anybody deny that Royal has a 6-month passport validity time frame?  You or anybody else can "what if" or "I did it" or this or that or the other thing all you want, the rules/policies exist, regardless.  For example:  If I know about the wine policy but wanted to take a chance, I wouldn't take expensive bottles.    Last word:  I have never told anybody not to do anything because of a rule/policy but I do have lots of opinions though.  I only make the policy/rule known and only with the best of intentions so they can decide for themselves what to do or not do.  Sorry, you find fault in that.

Oh, one more thing.  I don't claim to be an expert in RCCL's policies, I've been wrong here once or twice.  But, I only involve myself in subjects of fact that I have either looked up in the past, for my own benefit or look up as the conversation is being conducted.  I find many people come to social media sites like this and ask questions before trying to look it up themselves.  So, I provide the info and link in an effort to show them that the information is there if a little effort is put forth, subliminally. 

• Like 1

As long as he's not making a scene I don't think they really care to enforce anything. They're not looking at everyone's drinks, or policing. They have enough to deal with. I know people won't like this answer but it's honest. 

As long as they aren't putting it out there or getting obviously drunk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

They will cancel both packages and charge for every individual drink they asked for before the cancelation. 

I have seen this happen on Royal, even talked about happening on here when sharing Packages and they were charged for each and every drink received by both parties. Sharing underage and caught, not sure what happens. Underage Drunk, been more then few Stories what happened. When caught Smoking in Cabin or on Balcony, they were charged the Cabin Cleaning Fee. Have seen that myself also, so does happen

Edited by ONECRUISER

16 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

People reading things that aren't there, even after MULTIPLE posts clarifying the situation.  So, EXACTLY who is trying to "scam the system" and how?   And I didn't ask what's the worst that can happen, I asked what was LIKELY.  And what information is being "falsely reported"?  Are you just making up a scenario to go on a rant? 

16 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Sounds like a cruise 3 months later would've been WAY better!

DS and GF would both have college classes, DS would have college soccer, older DD (teacher) would be back in school, younger DD would have college classes.

11 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

If the cruise is in Europe the drinking age is reduced to 18 in any event.

'Tis not.

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I have seen this happen on Royal, even talked about happening on here when sharing Packages and they were charged for each and every drink received by both parties. Sharing underage and caught, not sure what happens. Underage Drunk, been more then few Stories what happened. When caught Smoking in Cabin or on Balcony, they were charged the Cabin Cleaning Fee. Have seen that myself also, so does happen

Sigh.  Someone else who didn't read.  This has NOTHING to do with sharing a package.  

16 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But the drinking age in the Bahamas is 18 and her son is almost 21.

My understanding is the drinking age on the ship is based on the embarkation port.  In this case, Galveston, so drinking age is 21.  If I'm wrong on that, let me know. 

I thought she was buying the deluxe package as well. I think it's because OP mentioned the two refreshment packages at the beginning, which gets 'package' in peoples' heads although it has nothing to do with what you are asking.

I'm glad you're going to discourage it. A few alcholic drinks is not worth sneaking around and worrying about getting punished. If he's not worried, you have a different problem.

Edited by marci22