The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 24th, 2023

richwmn

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Many of the iconic restaurants, like HoJo, are gone. Vesuvius has caused a lot of destruction over the years, especially Pompeii. What's strange music to me might not be to others. Good quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I haven't been to Salvador de Bahia. I grew up using the Book of Common Prayer in the Episcopal Church, but didn't know the back story. 

We had thunderstorms last night. Now it's really humid, with more thunderstorms today. Finally having a day at home, I am going to try to unearth my dining room table from all the "stuff" that's piled on it. Also do laundry. At least my severe itching from the bites is finally subsiding.

@0106 Thanks for the recipes.

@grapau27 Thanks for the information.

@StLouisCruisers Welcome home. Great photos. That Elevador is wild.

@cat shepard That visit to the King Tut Exhibition should be very interesting.

@dfish Welcome home. 

@marshhawk Thanks for the update on DH, and sorry to hear he's in a lot of pain. Hopefully that subsides soon. I hope Penny and her DH have quick recoveries; I'm considering going back to a mask at the grocery store and maybe at PT. I think it would be frustrating to have all these work changes.

@ottahand7 Nice photos.

@smitty34877 DH and you will do what's best for his quality of life, I'm sure. Perhaps there is a different treatment with less side effects. Prayers for DH, you and Tana for strength with all you are going through.

@ger_77 Wow on that vegetable orchestra.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the itching from the bites has subsided.  Once the fire ant bites quit stinging all I was left with were some red bumps that will take awhile to disappear.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It will get up near 80 today, then heat up this weekend to the mid 80's (one last gasp of summer?) before cooling way down next week.

My favorite iconic American dinner near here is the 59er Diner near Leavenworth, WA. They have 20 kinds of milkshakes at last count, and cabins you can rent - each with a different theme.  A couple years ago we took the DGSs to stay in the Roy Rogers cabin.

On one Med cruise we took a tour to Vesuvius and were able to climb to the rim and look down at the steam.  It gave me chills seeing the power, especially after going to Pompeii and Herculaneum. 

Great examples of strange music today!  I've liked them all!  Good quote, will pass on the meal today (we just had Mexican food a couple days ago), and probably would like the drink but pass on the red wine. Never have been to Brazil, thank you Nancy @ottahand7 Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers for your great photos.

Terry @smitty34877 I'm sorry Lou has decided to stop chemo, but do understand how he feels.  From what I've heard, the effects grow stronger with each treatment too.  I hope his doctor has a better alternative that works for him.

Ann @cat shepard I'm excited for you to see the King Tut exhibit!  You will be blown away.  We saw it when it was here in Seattle years ago, then again at the Cairo Museum.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Debbie @dfish Welcome home!!  Getting that luggage home too is a big deal (as Debbie knows, we haven't been so fortunate a few times).  And I know exactly what you mean about making that first cup of coffee, Debbie 😉  

Annie @marshhawk I'm sorry Chuck is in so much pain and hope he recovers quickly.  Also very sorry to hear about your friend Penny.  I'm wondering when we'll be able to get the vaccine for this new variant...

I want to thank all who gave their encouragement yesterday about DBIL's diagnosis.  I agree with all of you that it's very treatable if caught early.  Between this and my niece's MS recurrence, it's a lot for my sister right now (and she's more of a worrier even than I am) 😉  but the doctor told them the same you all did so it will be ok.  I'm waiting to hear what treatment they decide on.

59er Diner

59erDiner.jpg.0d9e8cd133a84a38e8d1665192887686.jpg

All the walls are covered with old photos etc.

interior59erdiner.thumb.jpg.87482cf8ecfaf2daf34ad628fc3cd710.jpg

And looking down into the Vesuvius crater

Vesuviussteam.jpg.e667f9e92e8f39cb8ed33c13106f8a85.jpg

When DH was in the Army and we were living in Dover, NJ, we would splurge sometimes and eat at the Rt. 46 dinner.  When we went back in 2012, we discovered the dinner had fallen victim to the redesign of Ft. 46.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thank you to all!  Great photos of the port  and food and bevies!  

Sending prayers and good wishes for both Lou and Chuck!  Surgery and treatments are so difficult.  It is terrifying and so difficult making these tough choices.    But hopefully after they’ve been made, everyone can find the peace and strength needed.  

big boy is alive and well in Japan! 
image.thumb.jpeg.94e036893dbc093b78d8a8944fccc73c.jpeg

Ann, there is a Big Boy restaurant in Bismarck, ND, that was the city's first drive-thru restaurant and is the city's oldest continuously operating restaurant.

DSC08699.thumb.JPG.b42b8e848d9c74bc1540ed5ae1c03685.JPG

DSC08697.thumb.JPG.53fdf61095df94dde61089e97954c8eb.JPG

20 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

The engines are fired up and we are preparing to depart Portland, ME.

We had a beautiful day and a wonderful time with friends we hadn’t seen in 35 years. Got to go see our cabin on the lake in Limerick:

IMG_1776.thumb.jpeg.6f806131052997f5c5806e8723b82d17.jpeg

our old church in South Parsonsfield:

and a little light house where our friends courted:

IMG_1778.thumb.jpeg.076ae4eda090c33bc4a2a6a7de3096b3.jpeg

Tony, I'm glad the cruise is going well, and that you got to see friends from 35 years ago.  Thanks for the great pictures.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good early afternoon from a hot Tucson at 96F and the humidity is 27%. It really isn’t that bad but if you are out and about it feels worse. 

We got some news yesterday, good and bad. Good is that Craig’s DS & DBIL are coming for the weekend from Show Low. She is his sister who had covid early on and almost died and then got it again. Her lungs haven’t been good since. They need a change of scenery so are coming to Tucson. 

Bad news is that my DM’s sister, who is 3 years younger than she is, is not doing good. She had several falls this past year and after the last one when she broke her leg refused PT and hasn’t walked since, so about 6 months, and she was released from rehab center in early June. I knew she was having a hard time with eating but now it’s become nonexistent. Hospice says she has days. My cousin said yesterday she was unresponsive. I took DM to see her this morning and oh my she perked up. My cousin and uncle said that she hadn’t acted like that in days. She was kissing and touching and opening her eyes and smiling. Cousin and uncle said it was a miracle. However, of course, it won’t last. My DM is heartbroken. But it was the best thing to do. I think both sisters feel better just being together. There are only 3 siblings left out of 13 and all 3 are in their 90’s. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 15

11 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good early afternoon from a hot Tucson at 96F and the humidity is 27%. It really isn’t that bad but if you are out and about it feels worse. 

We got some news yesterday, good and bad. Good is that Craig’s DS & DBIL are coming for the weekend from Show Low. She is his sister who had covid early on and almost died and then got it again. Her lungs haven’t been good since. They need a change of scenery so are coming to Tucson. 

Bad news is that my DM’s sister, who is 3 years younger than she is, is not doing good. She had several falls this past year and after the last one when she broke her leg refused PT and hasn’t walked since, so about 6 months, and she was released from rehab center in early June. I knew she was having a hard time with eating but now it’s become nonexistent. Hospice says she has days. My cousin said yesterday she was unresponsive. I took DM to see her this morning and oh my she perked up. My cousin and uncle said that she hadn’t acted like that in days. She was kissing and touching and opening her eyes and smiling. Cousin and uncle said it was a miracle. However, of course, it won’t last. My DM is heartbroken. But it was the best thing to do. I think both sisters feel better just being together. There are only 3 siblings left out of 13 and all 3 are in their 90’s. 

Sharon, I'm glad Craig's DS and DBIL will be coming for a visit and I hope the change in altitude helps her breathing.  Are they considering moving to a lower elevation?  I'm sorry your DM's sister is in hospice, but I'm glad the visit with your DM perked her up for awhile.  I hope she is comfortable in her final days.

Lenda

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I hope the air helps Craig’s sister and the visit helps you all.

31 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

That is heartbreaking, Sharon 😔. I am so glad the visit picked her up.  What a wonderful thing to do and so glad it perked her up.  I will pray for her  and you for the strength you will need for all of this. 🙏. Such a sad situation. 😢 

• Like 14

40 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

How exciting that they are coming to visit.  I hope you all have a great time and that Craig's DS gets the respite she needs for her lungs.

40 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I'm glad you got your mom over to see her sister.  I can understand how her sister perked up on seeing your mom.  My mom did that when she had visitors her last couple of days.  I'm sure the visit was good for both of them.   I hope your mom's sister is peaceful and comfortable in her last days.  

I took a hint from Sandi and unpacked all the suitcases.  Usually they sit in the spare room and I "live" out of them - going to them for something to wear.  It can take quite a while to unpack a suitcase that way.  But, they are unpacked, all the clean clothes are hung up or folded and in drawers, and the laundry has been sorted.  It feels good.  I'll do a load of laundry tonight and another tomorrow morning.  We try not to run major appliances between 2 pm and 7 pm as the electric rates are higher during those hours.  

• Like 17

Today, Friday 25th August is Daffodil Day,  This is a fund raising day for the Cancer Society, DH and fellow Rotarians will be helping.    Folk can buy Daffodils {real or artificial } or other cancer Society products or make a donation.   Helpers will be stationed at street corners, at supermarkets etc.

@richwmn    Rich, Thank you for posting the Fleet locations and the Daily,  will read all the posts later.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, I'm glad Craig's DS and DBIL will be coming for a visit and I hope the change in altitude helps her breathing.  Are they considering moving to a lower elevation?  I'm sorry your DM's sister is in hospice, but I'm glad the visit with your DM perked her up for awhile.  I hope she is comfortable in her final days.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda. No, Craig’s sister and husband bought this in Show Low as their retirement home and their brother lives there also. I think it’ll do her good to just get away to a lower altitude. 

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

I hope the air helps Craig’s sister and the visit helps you all.

That is heartbreaking, Sharon 😔. I am so glad the visit picked her up.  What a wonderful thing to do and so glad it perked her up.  I will pray for her  and you for the strength you will need for all of this. 🙏. Such a sad situation. 😢 

Thank you Jacqui. 

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

How exciting that they are coming to visit.  I hope you all have a great time and that Craig's DS gets the respite she needs for her lungs.

I'm glad you got your mom over to see her sister.  I can understand how her sister perked up on seeing your mom.  My mom did that when she had visitors her last couple of days.  I'm sure the visit was good for both of them.   I hope your mom's sister is peaceful and comfortable in her last days.  

I took a hint from Sandi and unpacked all the suitcases.  Usually they sit in the spare room and I "live" out of them - going to them for something to wear.  It can take quite a while to unpack a suitcase that way.  But, they are unpacked, all the clean clothes are hung up or folded and in drawers, and the laundry has been sorted.  It feels good.  I'll do a load of laundry tonight and another tomorrow morning.  We try not to run major appliances between 2 pm and 7 pm as the electric rates are higher during those hours.  

Thank you Debbie. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Uh oh.. the thread on the poop in the potty is locked..

And you’re surprised?  I suspect it was at the request of the OP.  I don’t think posts were removed

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

No Jacqui I wasn't surprised.  I wondered when the whole post would disappear..

It was a valid post and thread.  The only problem was how the OP started out and then “leaked” the information out.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Uh oh.. the thread on the poop in the potty is locked..

Is that the one with all caps in the title? I tend to skip such threads.

BTW, I have a booking on the Oosterdam, but I already know from other posts that the ship is a decrepit rustbucket, barely seaworthy, with terrible service and worse food....

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon!  I have been reading each day's Daily, but just don't get to posting very often.  Believe me I am following all posts, especially noting those about health problems.  I wish improved health and happiness to all.

It has been a little over 3 weeks since I moved to the seniors' apartment.  I seem to be in and out every day with one project or another.  When I am here, I really enjoy that I don't have to plan, cook or clean-up for meals.  Having my apartment cleaned and bed linens changed weekly is also a treat!  @RMLincolnI applaud you for your decision.  Glad that you have a plan for the next chapter.  

We have gotten about 3/4" of rain in the last week.  Unfortunately it has come with some violent electric storms, which has ignited several fires.  The fires have been controlled so far, which is a blessing.  I was at a meeting this morning, where the emergency manager stated that some heavy rain is expected for the next 2-3 days which could cause some flash flooding in some of our large burn scars from 3 years ago.  Of course, our problems are small in comparison to Hawaii, California, and Texas.  

@smitty34877and @marshhawkyour husbands are in my prayers.  Treatments and surgeries are so hard on the patients (and caregivers!).

After following the wonderful cruises that @dfishand @StLouisCruisershave just completed, it is a wake-up call for me to start thinking about organizing for my end of September cruise on the Zuiderdam.  Our little "gang of 4" from the TA on the Rotterdam in April will all be together for one evening in Quebec City and then 3 of us are cruising together!  Looking forward to that.

Since I am now living in a much smaller place, I won't be able to start putting things out in advance in a spare bedroom - since I am now in 600 square feet.  My sister and niece will be visiting in mid-September, so cruise prep will have to be on a delayed schedule!  

Just thought of a strange song - "May the Bird of Paradise fly up your nose". 

Hope the rest of the day is wonderful for all.  Many thanks to @richwmnfor starting each day for all of us, and thanks to all the faithful contributors who enrich each D&FR!  

Mary Kay

• Like 21

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Is that the one with all caps in the title? I tend to skip such threads.

BTW, I have a booking on the Oosterdam, but I already know from other posts that the ship is a decrepit rustbucket, barely seaworthy, with terrible service and worse food....

You got it!  That’s it.

I sailed on the Oosterdam in November last year. I had a previous cruise on her years ago and dreaded it (our cruise was changed over and over until we ended up with that ship).

I had a big surprise.  Service was fabulous.  I have no words for the guys in the Sea View Bar.  I ended up in a wheel chair on embarkation after a soft tissue injury and I cannot say enough.  they floated around me - brought towels for my foot, ice (no asking after the first day), brought me coffee, water, drinks, whatever I wanted and even whisked me to my cabin.  

I have another cruise booked on that ship next year and there are several on the roll call from November who have joined because of the service and time we had.

It’s being held together by bandaids in a couple of places (I’m quoting an officer) but the crew loved her and it sure showed on that cruise.  I have never passed out tips like I did on that cruise.  They were phenomenal.

For the record, I had no issues in my cabin nor did anyone I know of on our roll call (we had over 100 at our Meet and Greet).

Food was good on that ship overall.  they had a lovely sauce with their shrimp @ger_77 did you ever figure out the recipe for it?  It was fabulous.  Haven’t seen it since.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Gosh those end-of-life visits are hard, Sharon.  Kind of like being in an alternate universe for the time.  But so glad your mom got to see her sister.  Seems like it makes a big difference for everyone to have that last precious time.

Thinking of you.

Maxine

• Like 16

@kochleffel I was on the cruise with @kazu last November and had a fabulous time.  Excellent service, great fixed seating in the MDR, no problems with our cabin.  We are booked on her again in February for a 22 day South America and Antarctic cruise.  

@ger_77 Sauce with which shrimp dish?  I often order shrimp and will ask for the recipe.  I asked for the recipe for a mushroom soup once,  they gave it to me but it made several gallons🤣

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kazu said:

You got it!  That’s it.

I sailed on the Oosterdam in November last year. I had a previous cruise on her years ago and dreaded it (our cruise was changed over and over until we ended up with that ship).

I had a big surprise.  Service was fabulous.  I have no words for the guys in the Sea View Bar.  I ended up in a wheel chair on embarkation after a soft tissue injury and I cannot say enough.  they floated around me - brought towels for my foot, ice (no asking after the first day), brought me coffee, water, drinks, whatever I wanted and even whisked me to my cabin.  

I have another cruise booked on that ship next year and there are several on the roll call from November who have joined because of the service and time we had.

It’s being held together by bandaids in a couple of places (I’m quoting an officer) but the crew loved her and it sure showed on that cruise.  I have never passed out tips like I did on that cruise.  They were phenomenal.

For the record, I had no issues in my cabin nor did anyone I know of on our roll call (we had over 100 at our Meet and Greet).

Food was good on that ship overall.  they had a lovely sauce with their shrimp @ger_77 did you ever figure out the recipe for it?  It was fabulous.  Haven’t seen it since.

I remember your posts from last year!

• Like 8

We had heavy rain for 3 hours of our 5 hour drive home. Our rain gauge measured 3.5 inches. My sister in the southern part of Essex county had 7 inches. There is some major flooding there. The picture attached is their back yard and the farmers field beyond it. Luckily they are on a cement slab so no basement to flood. We may get more rain tonight. Last night was thunder and lightning all night long.

IMG_0766.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@ger_77 Sauce with which shrimp dish?  I often order shrimp and will ask for the recipe.  I asked for the recipe for a mushroom soup once,  they gave it to me but it made several gallons🤣

Not Gerry but it was the shrimp cocktail.  It wasn’t the standard sauce and it was oh so good.  If the chef is still doing it it is a white coloured sauce - not the standard cocktail sauce for shrimp.  It was really good.  For whatever reason (I blame everything on the wheel chair), I didn’t think to ask for the recipe.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Today, Friday 25th August is Daffodil Day,  This is a fund raising day for the Cancer Society, DH and fellow Rotarians will be helping.    Folk can buy Daffodils {real or artificial } or other cancer Society products or make a donation.   Helpers will be stationed at street corners, at supermarkets etc.

@richwmn    Rich, Thank you for posting the Fleet locations and the Daily,  will read all the posts later.

Daffodil day in August, that’s interesting! Over here (BC) April is Daffodil month, same great cause. Most folks wear daffodil pins during April.  Thanks you for this daily post, I have been lurking and enjoying everyone's insights for months now. 

• Like 13

Hello everyone.

In keeping with everything else that is going on in this house, we have had no Wi-Fi here since yesterday.  Finally got it back.

I have not read any posts.  Just letting you know that we are alive and kicking,

I will read the posts and post tomorrow morning.

Prayers for eveyone. 

Floors will be done a week from today.  God willing.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@kazu I know the shrimp cocktail sauce you are talking about and will get the sauce recipe when we are on the Rotterdam in 43 days!  

I laughed in my reaction as I was on the Koningsdam and they didn’t have the sauce nor did they know what I was talking about.

I hope the Rotterdam does.  43 days?  YIKES.  I better get moving.  That means I leave in 39 days 😱  (assuming I don’t lose my nerve).

• Like 11