The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 12th, 2023

richwmn

Good afternoon from a warm 83F and feels like 86F central Texas. The forecast was off about 10 degrees this morning as the high is now predicted to be 87F.  Also, the rain won't start until about 1 am.  Even that is a guess.  Hopefully with rain predicted all day tomorrow and through Saturday, we will get some much needed rain.

We finally heard from UTSW late yesterday afternoon and again this morning.  Everything is in place for DH to get the shunt placed.  The surgery will take place on September 28 at noon.  We have to be there by 10 am, so there is no need for a hotel room the night before.  I will be able to stay with him and get to sleep in whatever they provide for a family member.  There will be a minimum one night stay and unless something goes really wrong he'll be discharged the next day.

They managed to schedule the pre-op tests and CT scan on the same day.  So we'll head up there on September 26 for an 11:15 am and a 1:50 pm appointment.  Naturally, they are in different buildings, but they are just across the street from each other.  UTSW is huge and covers a lot of territory on either side of Harry Hinds Blvd. from Parkland Hospital to the Clements University Hospital where DH will be taken care of.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. Cloudy this morning and looking like rain. We can but hope. The high today is forecast to be 62F. I think it will be a day of indoor work. The dogs have moved from their usual summer spot near the patio door to the sofa where they are burrowed down into the doggie blankets. I think they know something. And a up in the very high country... Trail Ridge Road is closed due to snow. So it begins.

Have always wanted to go to Morocco but have never made it. Love the pictures. I  think I would like the meal today but I will be eating up some salads and probably coupling them with scrambled eggs for supper tonight in an effort to clear the frig. Just don't feel very creative.

My best thoughts to all on the cares list. And I hope the weather does not disrupt those who are scheduled to cruise. Mother Nature does like to do her thing.  Looks like some disruptions already.

Off to load up the dish washer, do a load of laundry and then back to sorting file drawers. Takes a long time since I inspect all pieces of paper carefully before it goes into recycling or the shredder- or back into the files.

Take care.

Susan

Susan, I can relate to the sorting of files taking time.  I tackled our files, including the business files a few years ago.  Hope you get some rain, too.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just received a text with pics from neighbor at home. Remember the bear that has been getting into our trash cans? Well yesterday at 4:00 PM the bear was seen climbing over a neighbors fence and a long shot of the bear crossing neighbors lawn. May have to enlarge to appreciate how large a bear it is. 
Worrisome with kids out playing or coming home from school.

image.thumb.jpeg.871f6d8d80fbfe8026844a577488b91d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6a2c3e4f2a454c1d3e2f677c8eb89bb1.jpeg

Bruce, that is one big bear.  I hope they can trap him/her and relocate the bear away from people before someone gets hurt.

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

Hello everyone and thank you for the daily!

Sending prayers to those in need and Congratulations to all celebrating. I don't post much but do enjoy reading the Daily every day.

This was the beautiful sight over NYC last evening on the 22nd Anniversary of that terrible day:

No photo description available.

That is a fabulous picture and very appropriate for ending the day yesterday.

Lenda

• Like 27

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  If I do order a milkshake, it will always be chocolate.  Haven't played a lot of video games - does Bejeweled on FB count?   It's always good to encourage someone to do well.

Late to the party today, and missed yesterday completely.  Our friends arrived from out of town on Sunday evening.  Yesterday morning the ladies took off for some retail therapy while the gentlemen stayed home and talked about fixing the world's problems (they're both retired educators with majors in social sciences and chemistry).   Later in the afternoon our friend had his follow-up with the vascular surgeon after having had an angioplasty in both legs and came out with great news - all is well and he doesn't need to come back unless he experiences problems.  Yay!

This morning we made a big breakfast to get them on their way and although they left a couple of hours ago, just received a text that said they were finally leaving the big box parking lot.  I'm sure the back of their vehicle is loaded to the hilt!  I've done 2 loads of laundry already and a third is ready to go in as soon as load #1 is dry.  DH has gone out to blow the leaves off the lawn, as we had a good wind overnight that deposited a lot of leaf litter in the yard, and he likes to try to keep ahead of the game. 

@puppycanducruiseplease wish your DM a very Happy Birthday from me!

To everyone in PA, I'm frightened for you with that escapee still on the loose, especially now that he's armed.  Seriously, who leaves a shotgun and ammo in an open garage?  I guess maybe the same kind of people who leave keys in their vans.  Scary stuff.

Not much on the agenda today, just tidying up, putting the deck table back to a 2 person size, sweeping up and that's about it.  I'd like to try the drink of the day if someone made it for me, but won't be buying an entire bottle of peanut butter whiskey just to try it.  Pretty sure I'd like the wine, and I know I'd like the menu suggestion - anything with a peanut sauce is good in my books.  For us, though, it's looking like we're having leftovers of barbecued pork chops, dilled potatoes, grilled vegetables and tomato pie - yes, I made tomato pie again and it was a real hit!  With the temperatures starting to get a little cooler, we'll still be able to enjoy dinner on the deck, but will have the windows closed.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

From the looks of it on Marine Traffic the Zaandam with @HAL4NOW on board did not leave Halifax until this morning and instead of going to Bar Harbor is now steaming towards Boston .

Wonder what the problem was that with a lot of work from the divers had to get fixed .

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I like chocolate milk shakes, although I make chocolate protein shakes these days. I played a few video games years ago, and we should be encouraging all the time. Good quote. Not sure about the meal, I don't usually like peanut sauce. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Casablanca. I wasn't familiar with today's history.

It's a pleasant 78F now and partly sunny. I guess a cold front is coming through, with rain this afternoon and we'll have morning lows in the upper 40's. Brrr. I finally got the lawn mowed yesterday. Edging took 2 hours, then an hour and a half to mow. It looks very nice now. I'm just back from PT and then going to my eye doctor's office to order new glasses. They should be ready in about 2 weeks. My eyes are feeling very irritated today; not sure what that's all about, and hopefully not the start of a flare. I'll put in extra drops just in case.

@rafinmd I hope day by day you'll feel better.

@Lady Hudson Yikes on that guy being so close to you. I wasn't happy to hear he'd obtained a weapon now. It's hard to pack when you aren't sure where you're going.

@StLouisCruisers Good job on the photo books. Sorry your laptop isn't working. DD's tree is lovely, as usual. Great Casablanca photos. Cool photo from DGS in Portugal. 

@Mtn2Sea Nice photos.

@Crazy For Cats Sorry you're missing Bar Harbor.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos as always. Good news that DH is scheduled for his shunt.

@aliaschief Wow. I hope they can capture and relocate that bear. 

@Love the beach Great photo of NYC on the 9/11 anniversary, Marge.

@ger_77 Good news on your friend's follow-up with the surgeon. 

@smitty34877 Thinking of you and Lou. I hope he will be home soon, as that is a better environment for him.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Zaandam update.  I spoke with the concierge and letters will be delivered shortly. 

Tomorrow Immigration inspection will begin at 6:15 am.  They are bringing 8 officers to help speed things up. It will be done very much like what is done in Bar Harbor.  Not sure when and where customs will be handled.

Should not be a  problem for our 8:30 pickup. 

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Word order
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6

24 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I like chocolate milk shakes, although I make chocolate protein shakes these days. I played a few video games years ago, and we should be encouraging all the time. Good quote. Not sure about the meal, I don't usually like peanut sauce. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Casablanca. I wasn't familiar with today's history.

It's a pleasant 78F now and partly sunny. I guess a cold front is coming through, with rain this afternoon and we'll have morning lows in the upper 40's. Brrr. I finally got the lawn mowed yesterday. Edging took 2 hours, then an hour and a half to mow. It looks very nice now. I'm just back from PT and then going to my eye doctor's office to order new glasses. They should be ready in about 2 weeks. My eyes are feeling very irritated today; not sure what that's all about, and hopefully not the start of a flare. I'll put in extra drops just in case.

@rafinmd I hope day by day you'll feel better.

@Lady Hudson Yikes on that guy being so close to you. I wasn't happy to hear he'd obtained a weapon now. It's hard to pack when you aren't sure where you're going.

@StLouisCruisers Good job on the photo books. Sorry your laptop isn't working. DD's tree is lovely, as usual. Great Casablanca photos. Cool photo from DGS in Portugal. 

@Mtn2Sea Nice photos.

@Crazy For Cats Sorry you're missing Bar Harbor.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos as always. Good news that DH is scheduled for his shunt.

@aliaschief Wow. I hope they can capture and relocate that bear. 

@Love the beach Great photo of NYC on the 9/11 anniversary, Marge.

@ger_77 Good news on your friend's follow-up with the surgeon. 

@smitty34877 Thinking of you and Lou. I hope he will be home soon, as that is a better environment for him.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I hope the itchy eyes are not because of a flare and that the extra drops make the feel better soon.

10 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Why were there tortoises in a box for sale at the market?  

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess, I'd guess for soup.  I had forgotten about them until I saw the picture this morning.

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Zaandam update.  I spoke with the concierge and letters will be delivered shortly. 

Tomorrow Immigration inspection will begin at 6:15 am.  They are bringing 8 officers to help speed things up. It will be done very much like what is done in Bar Harbor.  Not sure when and where customs will be handled.

Should not be a  problem for our 8:30 pickup. 

Jake, I hope everything goes smoothly in the morning.  Customs might be handled at the same time as immigration or could be handled in the terminal.

Lenda

• Like 21

Good afternoon and Happy Tuesday. I was up early, during the early morning hours we had thunder and I could hear it over the fan I keep on while I sleep. It’s been drizzling all morning off and on. We had arranged for our AC to be checked this morning and I was surprised that they didn’t reschedule. I was stressed the entire time the tech was working, we have a pitched roof and I kept thinking about how slippery it must have been. 

I used to love malted chocolate milkshakes. I might try the meal without the peanut butter sauce, not a fan but wouldn’t mind a tahini yogurt sauce. Yesterday we had kebabs from TJ’s with my homemade pita and hummus and yogurt, yum. Today I’m thinking about making tuna melts. I made English muffins the other day and have leftovers. 

I misspoke on Grandparents Day. I only knew 3 of them. I got confused thinking about my Great Grandparents. My DM’s father passed in 1934 after getting dust pneumonia out in the field in rural Eastern Colorado. The older brothers found him and he didn’t live much longer, so sad. 

@puppycanducruise Happy Birthday to your DM!

Bruce @aliaschief yikes on the bear!

Prayers for all especially Lou and Baby Murphy. 

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good sunny and warm afternoon, heavy rain is expected for tomorrow with a flood watch in effect.

There is no further news on the escapee. His shoes and hoodie and t shirt were found in the driveway of the house where he stole the rifle.

The garage was open because the owner was inside it, they believe Danelo did not know he was there. When he grabbed the rifle the owner managed to get off several shots from a pistol.

Roads in the area are closed and residents are asked to stay inside.

Hopefully it will end soon.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

9 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Ok, let’s see; another familiar photo. It’s Mr. Cafe, a bacon sandwich and it’s 9/12/23, 14 degrees, 8:37 am. Ok Sherlock RNB, where is Graham at?

My guess is he’s on his phone, with 7 out of the first 25 posts on just page one😂

happy birthday to your DM @puppycanducruise

We were in Morocco ages ago!  Great memories! 

Sadly we have a huge E. coli outbreak with over 200 little ones sick and over two dozen hospitalized with severe complications!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 8

My new laptop arrived early after being ordered only 2 days ago.  DH is down in his study working on setting things up for me.  If I didn't have him I'd have to call in the IT people.  My DSIL and DS would be good candidates for my private IT service but both live many hundreds of miles from me and besides, they're not available and at my command.  😉

Tony @sailingdutchy a few weeks ago they told us while on the Zaandam that they would start work on repairing or replacing a stern thruster.  It was going to be done over several weeks.  Apparently yesterday's work took a lot longer than they expected.  Probably something went wrong and they had to figure out a plan B.  It looks like an enormous job and I'm sure not easy underwater!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny and warm afternoon, heavy rain is expected for tomorrow with a flood watch in effect.

There is no further news on the escapee. His shoes and hoodie and t shirt were found in the driveway of the house where he stole the rifle.

The garage was open because the owner was inside it, they believe Danelo did not know he was there. When he grabbed the rifle the owner managed to get off several shots from a pistol.

The owner of the rifle was lucky Danelo didn't use it on him.  I hope for everyone's sake, this will end soon.

21 minutes ago, bennybear said:

My guess is he’s on his phone, with 7 out of the first 25 posts on just page one😂

Sadly we have a huge E. coli outbreak with over 200 little ones sick and over two dozen hospitalized with severe complications!  

Brenda, I hope everyone sick with E coli can recover completely, and those with complications, I hope the complications are not lasting side effects.

Lenda

• Like 22

Question: Where is Zaandam headed after docking in Boston tomorrow?  Royal Caribbean has already announced some changes to its ships that www heading north.  Vision of the Seas is overnighting In Baltimore and heading to Port Canaveral, Nassau and their private island.

Fingrrs crossed for Lady Hudson and anyone else headed that direction.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Question: Where is Zaandam headed after docking in Boston tomorrow?  Royal Caribbean has already announced some changes to its ships that www heading north.  Vision of the Seas is overnighting In Baltimore and heading to Port Canaveral, Nassau and their private island.

Fingrrs crossed for Lady Hudson and anyone else headed that direction.

Zaandam is scheduled to do another Canada run, ending in Montreal 9/24.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thank you Brenda @bennybear.

Sorry to hear about the E.coli outbreak near you

All of my posts are on my phone which never stops during the day with an average of 25 notifications every hour from HAL,RCL and P&O forums.

It is 11.30am in the UK when 

Rich posts the Daily which is 06.30am eastern US time 04.30am Texas time 01.30am Western US time so my posts are always early compared to others.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Graham x.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19

Good afternoon!  It seems that I manage to get around to reading the FR&D, but somehow I can't manage to get to posting.  (I read on I-pad, but like to post from laptop!)  This living in a seniors community is different - meals at a set time, cleaning at a set time, and then various activities for each day.  Keeps me busy, but I am loving the sociability, which was sorely lacking when I was living alone.

Sorry that I have missed sending best wishes for so many celebrating anniversaries and birthdays.  All have been in my thoughts.  Each day I include the Cares List in my prayers.  I wish the Celebrations list were longer and the Cares list was shorter.  But I know that is the same thought of so many faithful posters!

I so wanted to get to posting yesterday, but somehow the day flew by - thankfully.  My DH & I worked with another man and set up a Red Cross shelter in Denver on 09/11. This shelter operated for a week for airline passengers who had no place to go when their planes were directed to the nearest airport.  Then we spent 5 weeks right at Ground Zero working in a Red Cross Respite Center for police, firefighters, and construction workers clearing the site.  My DH died of 09/11 related cause.  He was one of many who were not responders, but are still considered as later casualties of that fateful day.  I only wish that schools were teaching more to  the younger generation so that they knew the sacrifices that were made on that day, and earlier days that have so shaped our history!

It is another blue sky, fluffy white cloud day in Western Colorado.  And "RAIN", what is that??  I was very dismayed when I saw the "S" word on Trail Ridge.  Think that Pikes Peak got it also!

My sister and niece are coming for a few days over the weekend.  I am anxious to see them, but when they leave, I have to get organized for my cruise on the Zuiderdam.  Have to leave on the 28th to fly to Quebec City, but my place is so small that I can't put things out till they leave.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Oh my gosh, I didn't know the owner of the garage was inside!!!  The news reports made it sound like the guy snuck into an open garage, took the rifle and ammo and left.  What a story the owner has to tell on coffee row!  Please stay safe.

@aliaschiefyikes on the bear - that's one big bruin!!!!  I hope they'll be able to trap and relocate him, rather than euthanize such a beautiful creature.

• Like 20

@cruzn single thanks for sharing your family's  9/11 story.   I am so sorry your DH lost his life by helping the first responders and the other personnel working on the pile.  I agree it needs to be taught as a long course for our school students as is the story of the Holocaust.  Every 9/11 anniversary marks a really dark day for your family as it is for all of us.  Thanks again for sharing your personal story.  

• Like 23

Update for September 12

I think generally a good day although I did do a self test this morning which was positive.  

I did not set foot outside my door for 2 days but broke free today.  I was out pretty early for a short walk around the block, never within 30 feet of any other person and ended the walk at my mail box. 

Around noon I ran a couple of errands in the car visiting the drive through at Panera (masked as I gave the clerk my card and picked up the food) and a curb delivery of groceries (loaded in the trunk)

I did 3 temperature checks, completely normal morning and noon, and a mild 98.8 at dinner time,

The sore throat has has subsided for now.  Had a bit this morning but while I used several lozenges yesterday only one today.  Other than that just a couple of brief sweat episodes.

I have just one day left on the Lagevrio.  I’ve been tolerating it well although one of the side effects is diarrhea and I’ve noticed changes in that direction but not enough to be worried.

I will continue to test alternate days.  If  I’m negative Thursday and Saturday I will be ok to be around others masked for 5 days, otherwise the time will be extended 2 days at a time.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Rain, wind, thunder, lightening, hail (sounds like the opening of MacBeth).  It all rolled in this afternoon and will last through this evening at least with a possible encore tomorrow and the day after. The rain we like, the thunder is ok. The hail I am not fond of and the lightening is not appreciated as even with the rain there is a chance of fire. But I am sure my grass (and the weeds) will love all of it.  The dogs and I dash out between the storms and I am getting a fair amount done sorting the files. That is going to take awhile. 

The situation with that escaped murderer is really scary. Hope he is caught soon.  I would much rather deal with the bear.

Susan

• Like 23