The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 25th, 2023

richwmn

15 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

FYI. AMERICANS. Just watching news free Covid test again. Our 4 test  are being sent Oct. 2.

https://www.covid.gov/tests

Thanks for the information.  Just ordered ours.

The house is very quiet tonight as my friends have all returned home to Ohio now.  We had a fantastic time with them.  We were busy every minute.  Yesterday we spent hours in the gardens and had a delightful time.  Today's tour of Alden Dow's house was very interesting.  I really enjoyed sitting in the submarine room.  You sit at water level and look out at the water that comes right up to the house.  Tomorrow will be a much quieter day.  

• Like 18

@richwmn Rich, thank you for the HAL Fleet locations and listing Port Chalmers today.

The cruise season for the port this  year begins on November 6th with a visit from the Royal Priness

So far 131 cruise ship visits are booked for this season.

Will now read all the posts for today.

• Like 16

Good evening, I hope everyone had a good day. 
The rain has finally stopped .It’s supposed to be drizzling again tomorrow and cloudy Wednesday.

I just saw on the news that David McCallum (Ducky on NCIS) passed away today at the age of 90. His birthday was just last week.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

12 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening, I hope everyone had a good day. 
The rain has finally stopped .It’s supposed to be drizzling again tomorrow and cloudy Wednesday.

I just saw on the news that David McCallum (Ducky on NCIS) passed away today at the age of 90. His birthday was just last week.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Sad news, as a young girl I loved him as Ilya in Man from UNCLE

• Like 22

Food-service employees deserve more credit than they receive.

I might enjoy the suggested meal but I don't know what it is. The original Rickey cocktail was named for a Col. Joe Rickey and was made with bourbon; the better-known Gin Rickey was a variation. Today's version, made with rye whiskey, seems to be a promotional idea for the Jim Beam distillery, which is a latecomer to the production of rye. Before Prohibition, rye was more popular than bourbon in the northeast, with production centered on western Pennsylvania. Only a few rye brands survived Prohibition at all, and today the same Kentucky distilleries that produce vast amounts of bourbon also produce most of the rye, although I know of at least one brand made here in New York. Rye tends to be drier than bourbon, which gives me second thoughts about a drink containing so much lime juice and nothing else to sweeten it.

The wine is a Bordeaux blend, so I might suggest Maximilien 2018 from Ravines Wine Cellars. I haven't been to New Zealand.

Yom Kippur ended officially at 7:41 p.m. local time, but the afternoon service that I attended (virtually) was over by 6:00. That was led by a friend who is now a rabbinic intern (by himself, no experienced rabbi there) at a very small congregation. In the morning I attended, also virtually, the service at a larger congregation in another city that lasted just short of five hours, which may not be a record but is definitely long. That congregation uses a prayer book that contains everything except the kitchen sink, and would probably contain that if cooking were allowed on Yom Kippur.

It only rained here, but a musician friend working at a synagogue in Texas posted, "My favorite part of Kol Nidre last night was not the music or the sermon. It was the entire congregation's cell phones going off together giving a warning for softball- sized hail."

Pickles-hearing.thumb.jpg.f0b982352dd1a18630c07d7de5bdda9f.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

@Vict0riann asked yesterday, "do you know lots about Spanish wines, too?  We would like to get a couple of bottles of, probably a rioja, in Barcelona.  There's a nice wine shop right beside the Boqueria, and I would like to have an idea to start with, and then we can take it to the Pinnacle when we go there."

I know almost nothing about Spanish wines. I have about a month to learn, I guess, or I could just go in for "experiential learning" after that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update on my church member Stephanie that fell while hiking on her birthday getaway. Her husband just sent an email that they met with the surgeon today and the swelling has gone down enough to be able to operate on Thursday. They will put plates and screws in and upon further examination also discovered that the fibula is also fractured at the top. She expects to go home on Friday. I ask for prayers for her and her family.

• Like 22

Good evening.  It was pleasant when I took the golf cart around a little while ago before I switched the cars around for tomorrow when we head to UTSW for the pre op tests and CT scan with a special machine.  It all goes well, we'll head back to Dallas Thursday morning for DH to get the shunt placed.  Based on the results of the lumbar puncture on August 2, the shunt should relieve the NPH symptoms.

While I was out, I saw five mule deer.  There was a doe with two of this year's fawns.  Just a little further along was another doe with one fawn from this year.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We got our flu and rsv shots last week and covid shots this morning. So far no pain. Went to lunch and I had sea bass. The restaurant knows I'm allergic to garlic. I was promised the butter sauce had no garlic but oh yeah it did. Came home with a swollen throat and blistered lips. The manager felt horrible and promised a spectacular dinner on our next visit. 

Joy, I sorry they messed up your order and added garlic.  After that, I hope you don’t have a reaction to tge flu and RSV vaccines.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Lenda, and safe travels to you as well this week. 

Thank you, Sandi.

28 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

@Vict0riann asked yesterday, "do you know lots about Spanish wines, too?  We would like to get a couple of bottles of, probably a rioja, in Barcelona.  There's a nice wine shop right beside the Boqueria, and I would like to have an idea to start with, and then we can take it to the Pinnacle when we go there."

I know almost nothing about Spanish wines. I have about a month to learn, I guess, or I could just go in for "experiential learning" after that.

Paul, I'm not an expert on red Spanish wines, but we've enjoyed Sangre de Toro red blend from Familia de Torres.  We've had it in Spain and enjoyed it.  It is available in the US, so you could try it before you go to Spain.

6 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just a quick update on my church member Stephanie that fell while hiking on her birthday getaway. Her husband just sent an email that they met with the surgeon today and the swelling has gone down enough to be able to operate on Thursday. They will put plates and screws in and upon further examination also discovered that the fibula is also fractured at the top. She expects to go home on Friday. I ask for prayers for her and her family.

I hope all goes well with Stephanie on Thursday.

Lenda 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@ocean sounds  Wishing you a fabulous cruise.

Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Thanks for all the photos of Port Chalmers/Dunedin.   Staff at the The Guiness Book of Records have verified that  Baldwin Street is the steepest in the world.   

When Mondalez closed the Cadbury factory, the site was bought by the Government to build a new hospital .  The new hospital will consist of two buildings, work has commenced on the Outpatient building,  design of the Inpatient building has yet to be finalised.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  hope all the Pre op tets are successful tomorrow.  Safe travels.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@ocean sounds  Wishing you a fabulous cruise.

Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Thanks for all the photos of Port Chalmers/Dunedin.   Staff at the The Guiness Book of Records have verified that  Baldwin Street is the steepest in the world.   

When Mondalez closed the Cadbury factory, the site was bought by the Government to build a new hospital .  The new hospital will consist of two buildings, work has commenced on the Outpatient building,  design of the Inpatient building has yet to be finalised.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  hope all the Pre op tets are successful tomorrow.  Safe travels.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Lenda

• Like 13

Biggest joke for the day ...........

Our dear daughter and grandson had to fly back home today and in Toronto airport they have US customs and security control .  They took 2 nice jars of of Kraft peanut butter from her because that in their eyes is considered a liquid ?!?!  Now if they would see a good  and delicious tub of Dutch peanut butter they woud see a small layer of peanut oil on the top , I can see that ....... but Kraft .......

Natascha told the officers to enjoy the 2 jars one was crunchy and the other was smooth . ( the peanut butter that was ) 

Maybe because Kraft who does not manufacture peanut butter in the good US of A  the officers would  than after my daughter turned her back grab those jars to spoil their family ....... so now my dear family in the US has to wait until Christmas for their Kraft peanut butter , it would even be a larger present to them.

I know this is kind of a nonsensical story but it  kind of stuck to the roof of my mouth .......... thank the lord I picked those 2 nice 1 KG jars up this week on special !

Should I call Kraft not to make it so fluidly .

Tony  😉  

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good evening.  It was pleasant when I took the golf cart around a little while ago before I switched the cars around for tomorrow when we head to UTSW for the pre op tests and CT scan with a special machine.  It all goes well, we'll head back to Dallas Thursday morning for DH to get the shunt placed.  Based on the results of the lumbar puncture on August 2, the shunt should relieve the NPH symptoms.

Lenda, it's late and you probably won't see this, but you and your DH will be in my thoughts tomorrow and the next few days as you get through this.  Somehow I was confused and thought you headed out Wednesday.  I hope all goes perfectly.

Maxine

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

While I was out, I saw five mule deer.  There was a doe with two of this year's fawns.  Just a little further along was another doe with one fawn from this year.

Joy, I sorry they messed up your order and added garlic.  After that, I hope you don’t have a reaction to tge flu and RSV vaccines.

Thank you, Sandi.

Paul, I'm not an expert on red Spanish wines, but we've enjoyed Sangre de Toro red blend from Familia de Torres.  We've had it in Spain and enjoyed it.  It is available in the US, so you could try it before you go to Spain.

I hope all goes well with Stephanie on Thursday.

Lenda 

Good morning.

Sending your husband my best wishes for a successful CT scan and pre op today Lenda and hopefully he gets the shunt fitted successfully on Thursday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

They took 2 nice jars of of Kraft peanut butter from her because that in their eyes is considered a liquid

I am sorry about the loss of the peanut butter. 😢. Ever since I had a 5 ounce bottle of maple syrup taken from me, I carefully consider the size of the “liquids, aerosols and gels” in my carryon.  Peanut butter is a gel.  Since I only travel with a carry on, I have have familiarized myself with what is allowed using the TSA site https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food?page=3 There is a similar site for Canada.https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/what-can-bring/liquids-non-solid-food-personal-items

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Best wishes for good results from the tests and your DH’s procedure onThursday 🙏 

9 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Prayers for her surgery and recovery 🙏 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Lenda, it's late and you probably won't see this, but you and your DH will be in my thoughts tomorrow and the next few days as you get through this.  Somehow I was confused and thought you headed out Wednesday.  I hope all goes perfectly.

Maxine

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Sending your husband my best wishes for a successful CT scan and pre op today Lenda and hopefully he gets the shunt fitted successfully on Thursday.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Best wishes for good results from the tests and your DH’s procedure onThursday 🙏 

Prayers for her surgery and recovery 🙏 

Thank you everyone for the good wishes for DH today and on Thursday.  It helps to know we have the support and caring from so many of you this week.

Lenda

• Like 3