What should we do on our first day/ night onboard?

naughtypumpkin

We are first time cruisers and not sure what we should be doing on our first day and night onboard. Some advice states have lunch as soon as you board others say to unpack first.also no information re a “captain party” so assuming there isn’t one.We have 3 days at sea before our first port , cruising with Fred Olsen thank you 

I was a first-time cruiser last year, so I am excited for you. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy your first day and night on the cruise. I felt like I wanted to do everything because I was so excited. Explore the ship. Get to know the layout. You may need to make dinner reservations or show reservations. I have not sailed on Fred Olsen, so I do not know that cruise line. I would say that since you have 3 sea days, if you don't want to unpack right away, that can wait. My first day and night, I like to explore the ship, locate where everything is so that I know how to get there from my cabin. Find a bar, get my first drink. Above all else, relax and enjoy the cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What to do on your first day/night? 

• Place your phones on airplane mode, then enable WiFi to avoid unintentional phone charges. Relax.
  • Verify any specialty restaurant reservations. 
  • Meander around the ship to get your bearings. Relax.
  • If your room isn't ready, head up to the pool deck with your carry-ons and enjoy a drink and/or a burger. Relax. 
  • It's going to be several hours for your luggage to arrive. Relax. I didn't unpack my luggage on my last ten day cruse until the next morning.

The most important part is that you attend the mandatory muster drill at your muster station. Otherwise, your cruise may end very prematurely.

Oh yeah, relax. You are on vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome First Time Cruiser,

Officially it's 49 year ago we were in your shoes boarding a ship to sail for the very first time.

You have an exciting and an adventurous part of your life you will remember. You have Caught the "Cruise Bug"!

We of course we will board like everyone does. Being sort of Pro's - we go directly to the cabin/suite(not room) to see it and drop off any unnecessary carry on luggage. Maybe place any important documents in the safe located in the cabin. But keep your Voyage ID Card with you all the time. You will need it to enter your room or charge any purchases to you on board account.

I think everyone agrees after a busy morning/early afternoon, to head to have a lunch. Either in the restaurant or buffet. Just remember, few hours later you will be at your first dinner. Leave Space.

We like to return to our cabin and go thru any documents and paperwork that would be left for you on your desk. May be information like the Daily Programme of activities, Shore Excursion info, etc....

Be familiar with the location where your muster station/boat drill will be held. Should be located inside your cabin.

Take some important clothing out that maybe needs to be hung.

Maybe now stroll around the ship with a ships map supplied to you. Get your bearings.

See what the outside decks look like.

Attend the Boat Drill. Find out how your particular ship holds them.

Afterward like everyone looks forward to, the Sailaway of the Ship. Leaving the dock, and heading to the open waters for the first time and enjoying the experience.

You can even scan thru the Programme to see what other activities will be held the rest of the day.

After the sailaway, most likely heading to your first dinner.

Well, you are now on your own....

Bon Voyage......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One suggestion.  As soon as you can check into your room, do so and leave any carryon luggage there.  Then go explore the ship.  Grab a beverage of choice and find your way around to locate the dining rooms, theater, bars, and other venues you would be frequenting.  Confirm your dining arrangements with the maitre d  to be sure they are as expected. Periodically check your stateroom and when your luggage arrives, unpack. Place the empty suitcases under your bed for storage. (We also place our dirty laundry each night in them to keep that out of the way and to have us 90% packed by the last night).  Make sure you follow any instructions regarding the muster drill and complete that as soon as possible, or by the ship's schedule.  Do not put this off as delaying it can delay your ship's sailing. 

As a first time cruiser you will likely want to do everything offered on the ship so as not to miss anything.  I would suggest prioritizing as, IMO, one important aspect of the cruise experience is to also relax and enjoy the experience.  You will likely find that your first cruise will not be your last, and if you are enjoying the cruise line you are on, you may want to look at booking your next while on board.  Often times reduced deposits, on board credits,  and other incentives are offered with on board bookings.

But most of all enjoy your cruise! We have been fortunate in being able to do so for 32 years - and still booking new ones!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, naughtypumpkin said:

We are first time cruisers and not sure what we should be doing on our first day and night onboard. Some advice states have lunch as soon as you board others say to unpack first.also no information re a “captain party” so assuming there isn’t one.We have 3 days at sea before our first port , cruising with Fred Olsen thank you 

Here is the board specifically for Fred Olsen:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/355-fred-olsen-cruise-line/

I think you will get more specific information there. Especially regarding your muster drill and dining options!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've not sailed Fred Olsen, but here's our first-day plan: 

- We board as early as possible -- our theory being that the sooner you board, the sooner your vacation begins.  We drive to the port, so it's easy for us.  No matter how excited we are to board, we take time to leave the car parked safely, headed out, full of gas -- and we take a photo of where we left it.  

- If we need to make reservations, we try to do it in the terminal while we're waiting to board.  

- We like to get the Muster Drill out of the way as soon as possible -- just so it's not hanging over our heads. 

- We like to go to the top of the ship and "circle our way down", exploring every bit of the ship while it's still fairly empty.  We get some good pictures during that time, and we plan things we want to do during the week:  When you're looking for me at the Solarium, I like those chairs best.  That's going to by my bar when I'm at the pool.  I want to eat there.  There's a good quiet spot to sit and read.  

- We eat lunch. 

- After lunch it's about time for the rooms to open, and -- because it goes in first -- our luggage is almost always in the hallway as soon as we arrive.  

- We like to get the room set up, which doesn't take long because we're light packers.  Once the room is set up, we feel like our cruise has really started.  

One warning:  The first few hours can feel hectic and crowded; but once the rooms open up, people dissipate and that feeling goes away.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are able - find cabin and place valuables (passport, money, jewelry) in your safe.  If you are allowed get rid of your hand luggage.  We do our muster drill while thinking of it.  We will check out the buffet area but may not eat as we try to have a nice brunch before we board.  Then up to the top of the ship to enjoy the view and walk around.  Big thing - relax and enjoy the ship.  If you need to reserve meals, take care of that too.

• Thanks 1

I find walking the ship top to bottom on the first or second day really helps me orient myself throughout the cruise. Also if you like finding quiet corners this is how you locate them from the beginning. If a floor includes only staterooms then I don’t bother with that deck though.

• Thanks 1

Many excellent tips above. 

We are experienced cruisers, so we typically go right to the room, drop off carry-on, go find lunch. We sail primarily Regent, Silversea or Seabourn, so we are often familiar with the layout. Go for a nice walk around the ship. 

Figure out the muster requirement - could be in-person or watch required video. 

Take some time to explore the TV menu. These days, you can find daily events, menu specials, look at your onboard bill and any charges accrued, find out the spa is having a special on a service, service on the second sea day, etc. 

If staff comes by to introduce themselves, take note of their names and be your best guest self - it always pays off for us. One of our carry-on bag handles had jammed in the up position, and our room steward brought his handy roommate by to work magic on it. He didn’t have to do that. 

Edited by TwoNavySalts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

All of the items listed above - muster drill, drop off hand luggage, unpack, check dinner reservations as necessary.

I also tend to find a lounge to have my one alcoholic beverage of the cruise - on QM2, this is in the Commodore's Club. 

I walk the ship - if it's a new ship, finding 'my' places, if it's a ship I've been on before, it's re-acquainting myself with 'my' places (again on QM2, this is the Carinthia Lounge.) I might walk the promenade deck. 

I then always change for dinner. Especially if I've been running around on embarkation day, I frequently feel kinda grubby, and it's nice to have a quick rinse off and change into something fresh for dinner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to add after dropping off your hand luggage, depositing your wallet and docs in the safe, saying Hi to your cabin steward, check the daily program in the cabin whether on the T.V. or a paper copy. There are often fun things happening that you are not aware of until they are over. Try not to smile too much! 

Edited by rtdiva
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 8:28 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

If you are able - find cabin and place valuables (passport, money, jewelry) in your safe. 

Yes, good idea!  In general, cruise ships are safe places, but it's smart to go ahead and secure your valuables. 

Ironically, we've had a problem with our safe in 2 of our last 3 cruises ... once it wouldn't close on Day 1, and on our last cruise it just quit working mid-week.  Each time Guest Services was quick to send someone, and fixing it only took a moment.  

On 10/4/2023 at 12:17 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I find walking the ship top to bottom on the first or second day really helps me orient myself throughout the cruise. Also if you like finding quiet corners this is how you locate them from the beginning. If a floor includes only staterooms then I don’t bother with that deck though.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I said we go to the top and "circle down" the whole ship!  We love that first walk-around. 

If we're in an Inside, we pick "our balcony" -- which means a quiet spot -- and if I leave my husband a note saying "I'm out on our balcony", he knows exactly where I am.  

On 10/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, TwoNavySalts said:

Take some time to explore the TV menu. These days, you can find daily events, menu specials, look at your onboard bill and any charges accrued, find out the spa is having a special on a service, service on the second sea day, etc. 

Good point!  We always take sticky notes with us, and we write down the channels for quick reference -- well, mainly that's my husband and the sports channels.  

On 10/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, TwoNavySalts said:

If staff comes by to introduce themselves, take note of their names and be your best guest self - it always pays off for us

Agree. 

I'm occasionally dismayed (even embarrassed) at how a few passengers treat the staff.  Last week the man at the table next to us was downright dismissive and rude to our (very friendly) waiter ... then he turned around super-friendly and tried to chat me up.  Nope, not having it.  I'm not interested in talking to a person of that caliber.  

On 10/13/2023 at 4:02 PM, rtdiva said:

I’d like to add after dropping off your hand luggage, depositing your wallet and docs in the safe, saying Hi to your cabin steward, check the daily program in the cabin whether on the T.V. or a paper copy. There are often fun things happening that you are not aware of until they are over. Try not to smile too much! 

Checking the daily newspaper /program /whatever right away is excellent advice!  Depending upon your cruise line, you might have access to this information on your phone and/or in paper form -- but read it. 

Here's an example:  I watched a You Tube posted by a host whom I thought was well-informed and well-spoken ... until he said he disliked Wonder (Wonder?) because he didn't realize until mid-week that not all of the small food venues charge for their food!  Dude, that info was in your Cruise Compass!  

You might also learn about specials only available on the first day or events for which you'll need to sign up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1