Brazilian VISA

rhsjr

Yes, this is very frustrating. Their published directions assume the traveler enters Brazil using a scheduled carrier. From what I understand, most Iguazu tourists cross the border using a couple of taxis (1st taxi drops you off at the border, 2nd taxi picks you up on the other side after walking through passport control.).

On 12/28/2023 at 2:02 PM, tottenhamfc said:

It is just terrible. CLIA need to tell the Brazilian Govt in no uncertain terms that this is unacceptable and could result in massive loss of tourism revenue.

Supporting tourism is not Brazil's motive here. They are upset with USA, Canada, Australia, Japan because Brazil removed VISA requirements for those four countries in 2019, hoping to convince those same countries to reciprocate. USA, Canada, Australia, Japan did not reciprocate so Brazil reinstated the VISA requirements to what they were before. In other words, If you are going to make Brazilians go through an onerous VISA process to visit the USA, we are going to make USA citizens go through an onerous process to visit Brazil. It's tit-for-tat.

The visa application requirements for Brazilians to visit the USA is far more difficult than what we all are experiencing. Brazilians have to make and wait for two separate appointments: 1) visit an "Application Service Center" to get fingerprinted and photographed, 2) visit a US embassy/consulate to be interviewed.  There is no "e-Visa" option. The non-refundable application cost is $185 USD.

Of course, I agree that the Brazilian e-Visa application process is way harder than it needs to be. And it's very frustrating to have this pop up now, so close to travel dates for many of us.

Sources:

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-us-tourism-visas-lula-bolsonaro-e206025994b64fa5695484b99a807971

https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

Supporting tourism is not Brazil's motive here. They are upset with USA, Canada, Australia, Japan because Brazil removed VISA requirements for those four countries in 2019, hoping to convince those same countries to reciprocate. USA, Canada, Australia, Japan did not reciprocate so Brazil reinstated the VISA requirements to what they were before. In other words, If you are going to make Brazilians go through an onerous VISA process to visit the USA, we are going to make USA citizens go through an onerous process to visit Brazil. It's tit-for-tat.

The visa application requirements for Brazilians to visit the USA is far more difficult than what we all are experiencing. Brazilians have to make and wait for two separate appointments: 1) visit an "Application Service Center" to get fingerprinted and photographed, 2) visit a US embassy/consulate to be interviewed.  There is no "e-Visa" option. The non-refundable application cost is $185 USD.

Of course, I agree that the Brazilian e-Visa application process is way harder than it needs to be. And it's very frustrating to have this pop up now, so close to travel dates for many of us.

Sources:

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-us-tourism-visas-lula-bolsonaro-e206025994b64fa5695484b99a807971

2 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

Sources:

And you kind of have to wonder if they're not intentionally making it difficult by requiring additional information or to resubmit files that are perfectly acceptable. 

Just now, SEA DOGY said:

We are sailing to Brazil /Carnaval this coming February we will be travel with U.S passport and a second passport another words we are dual citizens

Using the second passport dos not require a Visa to enter Brazil 

We are just wondering how many travelers to Brazil  are doing the same 

Your thoughts and information are greatly appreciated 

2 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

What documentation did you provide to show a round trip reservation to/from Brazil (see red text below)? I ask because, like you, I was planning to make a day trip from Argentina to the Brazil side of Iguazu falls. That trip across the border would be on a taxi or bus.

Source: [Official] Brazil Evisa | Tourist eVisa (vfsevisa.com) Click on "Information" tab.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR eVisa( Tourism/Business) Stays Up to 90 Days
  • Confirmation of round trip reservation (flight, ship, or bus reservation showing entrance by air, sea or land into Brazil and exit from Brazil).

I added our flights on Jan 29 from BA to IGR. Then at the end, you can add as many documents as you want. I added our flight from IGR to Salta, Argentina. Also, I added our Seabourn cruise itinerary with embarkation on Feb 20 from Buenos Aires to Miami. 
We are approved so they understood we will spend 1 day in Brazil at the end of Jan and we will have many stops in Brazil while cruising with Seabourn in Feb and March…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rhsjr said:

So I wonder what happens if you show up in Brazil without an evisa. But you have all the required documents that you've uploaded?

If you are flying into Brazil from the U.S., you probably won’t even be allowed to board. We are on AA and have received email from them requiring the visa to be able to fly. 

On 12/25/2023 at 6:29 AM, Mercruiser said:

Apparently, Van Gogh, and anyone like him, is not welcome in Brazil.

100104_r19185_p646.jpg.d0595df0d66565337bcbfb984b55b6db.jpg

Ha ha - I was just realizing that my passport photo was taken before I had ear surgery 2 years ago, so that my left ear looks different now. Hopefully my right ear will be enough proof of identity!

51 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Tried to take my photo, many times yesterday, tucked hair behind my ears, tried cotton ball, even my DH hearing aids and they still don't show!! Wonder if Walmart has modeling clay or something? 

Silly putty. 🤣

On 12/27/2023 at 9:25 AM, moknows said:

Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out why I can't upload my husband's passport pic.  Nothing is uploaded but it shows the doc page complete???   I am hesitant to pay without his pic attached to the doc page.   I have tried everything.   File size is fine.  Can someone private message me through this forum to help?

CC does not permit private messages.   You would need to post your email with eg.   xxxx  at Gmail dot com

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

Final update:

We finally received our evisa today (Jan 2) and we first applied on Dec 6. It’s a 5-year visa. Turnaround: 27 days. Nothing to brag about!!

So happy for you, we are still waiting and we fly out tomorrow.  Hope the Oosterdam has good WiFi. 

14 minutes ago, 0bsessed said:

So happy for you, we are still waiting and we fly out tomorrow.  Hope the Oosterdam has good WiFi. 

I just printed 5 copies of each visa at our hotel in Santiago as we just arrived a few hours ago. I will not have internet on the ship…

• Like 1

I am a little worried about our applications.    So many say they had a response within a couple days saying they needed to resend something back.    Sent them in a week ago.  Still says submission success.

How long were others at the submission success state?

24 minutes ago, compozer said:

I am a little worried about our applications.    So many say they had a response within a couple days saying they needed to resend something back.    Sent them in a week ago.  Still says submission success.

How long were others at the submission success state?

There are some cruiselines offering guidance. It would be helpful to either identify the line that you are on so that you can be referred to the notices.

Time line of our E-Visa Saga:

1) Dec. 2 Applied for E-Visa's  My wife and I.

2) Dec. 4 Received email requesting 60 days of bank statement with 2K minimum. Uploaded new docs.  Realized the statement did not have either of our names on it,  but Brazil and VFS accepted it. Go figure....

3) Dec. 5 Received QC complete email and notice documents sent to Brazil Authorities

4) Dec. 16 Sent email to VFS help desk.  

5) Dec. 28 Received email asking to reupload pictures.  I was expecting this as my original pictures were not 2" x 2".  VFS had accepted them for some unknown reason.  The pictures were to be attached to a reply to that email, not on the website.

6) Dec. 29 Received notice our new pictures were received and sent to Brazil Govt.

7) Dec. 30 Received response from Dec. 16 inquiry stating meaning of status. No Help

😎 Jan. 2 Received E-Visa. Logged into website showing approved and visa was available to download on the website.  Have not received email yet with "visa attached"  but have them in hand.

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

There are some cruiselines offering guidance. It would be helpful to either identify the line that you are on so that you can be referred to the notices.

Yes, I have been keeping up to date on the cruiselines that are offering help.   We are on Celebrity - our first cruise with them.   One of the members of our group, contacted them but they offered no help.

28 minutes ago, compozer said:

Yes, I have been keeping up to date on the cruiselines that are offering help.   We are on Celebrity - our first cruise with them.   One of the members of our group, contacted them but they offered no help.

I know I told them in no uncertain terms that they are looking bad on social media and sent them Oceana, Regent and HAL responses. Told them to escalate to executive office. Not happy. Not expecting anything other than guidance and empathy. Sadly neither was offered. They gave me a visa service to contact and they havent responded either. They need to tell us we can stay on board and not get off the ship if that is what is required.